Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

Don’t assume they’re going to draft one early either.
By 3k@3k_ Mar 31, 2020,

1585665760534.png

The conventional wisdom for the Los Angeles Rams coming out of the 2019 season was that change was needed on the offensive line perhaps significant change.

The personnel on the line rotated throughout the year several times but never led to consistent play regardless of who got pushed into starting duty. Longtime stalwart LT Andrew Whitworth had his worst season as a Ram with an unusually poor first six games. RT Rob Havenstein himself, also ever reliable in the past, had a very shaky start to the season before seeing his year-end in Week 10 with a knee injury. The rotation along the interior never found a sweet spot.

This isn’t for a lack of spending. The Rams signed Whitworth and have now re-signed him to a second lucrative deal. Havenstein was provided a significant extension through 2022. And the Rams drafted four players who saw significant playing time on the line along with the trade for OL Austin Corbett who played nearly half of all the offensive snaps in 2019.

The Rams had a plan for the line in 2019. The plan failed. Now they must come up with a new plan. One that suits the needs of the team moving forward. A team without RB Todd Gurley. A team looking to reestablish their offensive credentials. But that plan doesn’t necessarily require new personnel.

The Rams bought into the idea that an offensive line depth chart of Whitworth, Havenstein, Austin Blythe, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen, Bobby Evans, David Edwards and Rob Havenstein could work. There’s, obviously then, reason to believe they could just as easily buy into it moving forward. And there’s reason to think that’s just fine for three reasons.

1.) Despite the poor play from the line, the Rams still went 9-7
Amid the disappointment from the season for missing the playoffs and underwhelming most projections, the Rams still had a winning record. A few luckier bounces here or there and the Rams could have easily snuck into the wild card slot. This isn’t to say that matters much, but it is to say the Rams weren’t far off last season despite the O-line’s performance.

Our report cards from last year week by week? C, C+, C, D-, B-, F, B, A+/C+, D, A, F, C-, B, A, D, N/A. That’s 2.5 A’s, 3 B’s, 4.5 C’s, 3 D’s and 2 F’s. Not exactly as bad as most of us probably remember it, but that’s kind of the point. The Rams didn’t benefit from great O-line play, but they played well enough for the most nonetheless. So the requirement here isn’t to come out of 2020 with 10 A’s and 6 B’s. Clearly the Rams don’t need that kind of offensive line output to succeed.

2.) It likely won’t get worse
If the Rams run it back on their OL group, there’s little chance the quality of play declines. For one, the Rams aren’t likely to get a poor start from Whitworth. For two, the Rams’ worst lineman was OL Jamil Demby who probably is on the outside looking in when it comes to the 53-man roster. Beyond that, the experience for Noteboom, Allen, Evans and Edwards can only help their causes headed into 2020.

The chances of injury are much lower as well. Blythe was initially injured in Week 2 and missed out on Week 3. Noteboom went down three weeks later followed by the Week 10 calamity in which the Rams lost Havenstein and Allen. For a line that had remained entirely intact the previous two seasons into the playoffs, it was a severe regression to the mean.

Could the line have a similar season in 2020 to 2019? Of course. But if the injury front looks better, there’s obvious reason to buy into improvement here especially because the line has improved over time every season under Run Game Coordinator/Co-Offensive Coordinator Aaron Kromer. Unlike the first two seasons though, the improvement last year coincided with the injury-forced personnel changes. Could the line last year have seen a similar improvement with the Week 1 starters had they been able to get through the season unscathed? I think it’s possible. That kind of improvement, since deprived of it, might be on track for 2020.

3.) The rest of the offense has the opportunity to pick up the slack
Part of the reason the Rams won nine games despite the poor line play in 2019 was the rest of the offense. Rams Head Coach Sean McVay is still a very good offensive overseer despite a departure from the lofty perch he held in 2018 as he saw the Rams toward a Super Bowl berth. QB Jared Goff threw for 4,638 passing yards, the third-most in the NFL. The Rams still have a plethora of weapons in the passing game. And while the Patella Novella has come to an ignominious ending that deprives the Rams of Gurley’s natural talent, it does free up a more sincere rushing attack. Perhaps a sign of hubris, the Rams thought they’d be able to keep Gurley on a load management plan and maintain their offensive potency. While they were clearly wrong, moving on from Gurley means moving on from the load management plan.

If you were to chart a course from 2019 to 2020 that would see the Rams win more games, the conventional wisdom would start with the offensive line. A more realistic plan (and one that might be more popular among the staff and front office that bought into that line in the first place) might instead look at a more impactful running game. a more consistently dependable Goff and more consistent team overall.

Part of what the Rams’ O-line suffered from was the wild swing from 2018 in which we saw the best Rams offensive line season of my lifetime to 2019 in which we did not. The detrimental effect that had on the team was blatant at times and more subtle others but nearly always on the wrong side of the fence. While improvement should be expected in 2020, I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes from a similar cast in 2019.

Don’t be surprised if the Rams get through Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft without a new offensive lineman And don’t be too upset about it either.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it is either. But what I will say is there are some guys we could take in rounds 2-4 that would turn it from ok and a potential question mark to a very solid unit.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it is either. But what I will say is there are some guys we could take in rounds 2-4 that would turn it from ok and a potential question mark to a very solid unit.

Austin Corbett
Bobby Evans
Joseph Noteboom
Brian Allen

All drafted in rounds 2-4

All are worse than David Edwards was last season.

If an OL falls to a pick and they like them, I'm fine with that - but I think it's far more likely that whoever we draft takes Demby's spot as the 9th OL and that's it for next year. Maybe they can develop further - but we can say the same about the five young guys we currently have too.

I would rather see what we have with this OL and address other positions.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin Corbett
Bobby Evans
Joseph Noteboom
Brian Allen

All drafted in rounds 2-4

All are worse than David Edwards was last season.
And in other shocking news sometimes later round draft picks work out better than higher round picks. I'm open to them addressing any of a number of positions in the draft. But there are some guys like I and countless others have said will be available early in our draft that will improve on the OLine. Maybe the guys will develop with another year it's hard to tell. But there are worse things in the NFL than spending a 4th round pick on a guy who ends up being a career backup center and spot starter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kromer & The Rams believe in coaching players up.

I’ve always said The Rams aren’t going to draft an offensive lineman.Going into 2020 The Rams have more depth than they have ever had .

Demby as bad as he may have played still got valuable game experience. Who is to say he won’t improve. LMAO
at all those Demby fans 3 years ago.I was say he sucked then & everyone thought he was going to be so good.
I’m just saying these young players still have upside. It would actually be real nice If Mcvay plays NOTEBOOM & BRIAN ALLEN in a preseason game. Talk about a joke. Maybe a player can actually earn there spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need to draft an OL on Day 2. If the veterans beat out the rookie, good. That likely means they've improved and earned it. But this is one of the best Center classes in quite some time, and we have a need on the interior.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And in other shocking news sometimes later round draft picks work out better than higher round picks. I'm open to them addressing any of a number of positions in the draft. But there are some guys like I and countless others have said will be available early in our draft that will improve on the OLine. Maybe the guys will develop with another year it's hard to tell. But there are worse things in the NFL than spending a 4th round pick on a guy who ends up being a career backup center and spot starter.

Agree - but from the past it has always been value by position. I can’t see Thw Rams cutting a player such as Brian Allen. Evans is a big piece.
I think your not looking ahead,but behind. Especially with The Rams of need of a RB. Finding someone to get to the QB will be more important than to protect Goff in 2020.
There is a need for a safety as well that The Rams will find value late, or even as a udfa again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We need to draft an OL on Day 2. If the veterans beat out the rookie, good. That likely means they've improved and earned it. But this is one of the best Center classes in quite some time, and we have a need on the interior.

Just shows what a CRAP pick Brian Allen was, but I think MCSNEAD will eat that pick. Just going from past seasons. I’m not saying your thought is wrong. It’s just the way Les Snead works the board.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree.
In review of the 2020 draft OL prospects... looks rather good to me in the LT & OC posts. Rams would be wise to do their homework in considering targeting in on those two OL positions in this draft. Drafting a OC & LT would sure help with the large amounts of questions ongoing with this Ram team in 2020. OL unit has most of them in itself.

Just some of the more clearer ones below:

Can the 2019 benched RT Rob Havenstein regenerate himself back to some resemblance of his 2018 playing condition?

Can Andrew Whitworth squeeze another 8 or 9 good starts out of his old worn bones until Noteboom can finally take the mantle of the starting LT post?

Can Joseph Noteboom complete rebuilding his body back into NFL caliber working condition in time to relieve the declining near 39 yr old Whitworth? Plus is Noteboom fully capable of being Goff's future blind side protector.

Can Snead/McVay/ Kromer finally resolve the declining center issue that's been ongoing since the beginning 2018 season by finding a new fully equip 2020 model ?

Will Rams ever be successful again in development of a LT draft prospect? It's been over 2 decades now.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree - but from the past it has always been value by position. I can’t see Thw Rams cutting a player such as Brian Allen. Evans is a big piece.
I think your not looking ahead,but behind. Especially with The Rams of need of a RB. Finding someone to get to the QB will be more important than to protect Goff in 2020.
There is a need for a safety as well that The Rams will find value late, or even as a udfa again.
You didn't read what I wrote did you? Where did I say they'd cut either? In fact I said the opposite.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just because you, or me, or Snead and McVay *like* a prospect, doesn't mean anything. Saying they *will* improve our offensive line is an incorrect statement. They *might* improve our offensive line, but it's far more likely that they make no impact on the 2020 season. If we're talking about improving beyond next season, that's what the draft is actually for - the future - and if they end up taking an offensive lineman, then I won't have any beef with it.

But people should stop acting as though spending draft picks on an offensive lineman automatically upgrades the offensive line. Evans, Noteboom and Allen were drafted in rounds 3 and 4 to upgrade the OL over the past two years - and those guys (along with Edwards and Corbett) all have potential - it's extremely likely that whatever offensive lineman we draft is worse than them out of the gate.

I'd still be fine drafting one because we will need to replace Whitworth and Blythe - I guess the overall message here is even if we draft an offensive lineman, it will not be to upgrade the OL for the year 2020. It'll be for the future.

For me that puts the OL draft priority beneath ILB, RB, and OLB, and on the same level as CB and S.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You didn't read what I wrote did you? Where did I say they'd cut either? In fact I said the opposite.

By The Rams drafting another offensive lineman, somebody gets cut.
I just think The Rams go with Brewer
& Allen should be 100% coming into OTA’s.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"The Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks"

1585673333874.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Once again re: the OL... I am not content with a unit that can get us to the playoffs. I want a unit that can protect our young QB and open holes consistently in the run game vs the top defenses you're gonna see once you're IN the playoffs.

We need a Center. Not necessarily at 52, but the need means we can't address it round 6 either.

And we need a developmental LT type. That window at 52 might produce one and if it does you take him because we don't have a round 1 pick in 2021 either and Whit is not getting any younger. Also if we do take an OT there he can boost our competition on the interior for 2020.

The problem here is we've nuked the fucking OL so badly for so long that we're seeing diminishing returns. Nothing has changed. The OL has some good pieces but to ensure we have a plus unit we're gonna need a little more talent added.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By The Rams drafting another offensive lineman, somebody gets cut.
I just think The Rams go with Brewer
& Allen should be 100% coming into OTA’s.
Somebody like one of the UDFA at the bottom of the roster over Allen and Evans. Or Noteboom starts the year on the IR thereby opening another spot on the roster. Nothing I said or about drafting a lineman in the first couple picks means Allen or Evans will be cut.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree.
In review of the 2020 draft OL prospects... looks rather good to me in the LT & OC posts. Rams would be wise to do their homework in considering targeting in on those two OL positions in this draft. Drafting a OC & LT would sure help with the large amounts of questions ongoing with this Ram team in 2020. OL unit has most of them in itself.

Just some of the more clearer ones below:

Can the 2019 benched RT Rob Havenstein regenerate himself back to some resemblance of his 2018 playing condition?

Can Andrew Whitworth squeeze another 8 or 9 good starts out of his old worn bones until Noteboom can finally take the mantle of the starting LT post?

Can Joseph Noteboom complete rebuilding his body back into NFL caliber working condition in time to relieve the declining near 39 yr old Whitworth? Plus is Noteboom fully capable of being Goff's future blind side protector.

Can Snead/McVay/ Kromer finally resolve the declining center issue that's been ongoing since the beginning 2018 season by finding a new fully equip 2020 model ?

Will Rams ever be successful again in development of a LT draft prospect? It's been over 2 decades now.

I’m staying solid to my point.
1. You thought Whitworth would have been done 2018. From what I’ve seen from Whitworth. I thought he was still playing at a very high level & posted he would be resigned 3 months ago!!!!
Plus The Rams didn’t just give him a 1 year contract either. So be it MCSNEAD THINKS different. yeah so another Gurley type contract??? - I think you’ve been right about Noteboom from way back. — His injury is my biggest concern only because he said he had to learn to walk again.WOH ?? So to think Whitworth is not being counted on for a couple seasons seems off base.Remeber we don’t make these decisions.
2. Rob Havenstien was ready to go. The Rams thought it was best to sit him. He went with the RICE rehab. He will be stronger from it,but it takes longer imo ? Your guy all everything rookie Brewer actually got a couple Reps in. Thank God for Goff he was not in on another series. Bobby Evans played well in Rob’s place.
3. Noteboom- I don’t know about his health, but Mcvay said he & Allen would be ready for camp.I don’t really trust that though?? I have to guess they are going to take there time with him, especially after giving Whitworth 3 years.
4. Center postion- Blythe is the guy!!! You were the one saying how hurt he was playing. I posted after the SuperBowl The Rams needed to upgrade LG & Austin Blythe sucked Sullivan was not issue. In comes Brian Allen who played one series against Da Bears on a 3 & out ?

—In conclusion John Sullivan was missed. Brian Allen needs to compete. He loves to compete & never wanted to be given the starting job.
Blythe knows the offense & a guy Goff trusts.Plus The Rams have 2 players at the postion from 2020. Shelton Coleman was kept on the roster all of 2019 basically. Austin Blythe has been the starting LG for 2 seasons, so not a bad backup.

Booby Evans & Brewer will be crosstrained. So depth is there.
Upgrades for 2020 is health,depth, experience

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just because you, or me, or Snead and McVay *like* a prospect, doesn't mean anything. Saying they *will* improve our offensive line is an incorrect statement. They *might* improve our offensive line, but it's far more likely that they make no impact on the 2020 season. If we're talking about improving beyond next season, that's what the draft is actually for - the future - and if they end up taking an offensive lineman, then I won't have any beef with it.

But people should stop acting as though spending draft picks on an offensive lineman automatically upgrades the offensive line. Evans, Noteboom and Allen were drafted in rounds 3 and 4 to upgrade the OL over the past two years - and those guys (along with Edwards and Corbett) all have potential - it's extremely likely that whatever offensive lineman we draft is worse than them out of the gate.

I'd still be fine drafting one because we will need to replace Whitworth and Blythe - I guess the overall message here is even if we draft an offensive lineman, it will not be to upgrade the OL for the year 2020. It'll be for the future.

For me that puts the OL draft priority beneath ILB, RB, and OLB, and on the same level as CB and S.
I understand your post. I would also agree with you on most. It just takes so much more time to groom college OL'ers to play in the NFL in comparison to all the other NFL posts. When most drafted OL'ers fair better in run blocking but fail miserably in pass protection. NFL OL units are subjected to more overall injuries too.

I would say drafted rookie OL'ers Edwards/ Evans & others Brewer & Corbett all had impact & improved our 2019 OL situation. How would our OL survived without those four OL'ers replacing the fallen or benched starters? All four of those mentioned above appear to have good futures here with this Ram team.

I know Rookie Edwards improved the RG performance over former starters Blythe/Demby. I know that Rookie Evans improved the RT post over Havenstein & keep Havenstien on the bench for the last 3 gms of the season. I also know that Corbett improved the LG post performance over Noteboom/Demby.

I do not believe most ROD forum members would agree with this statement "spending draft picks on an offensive lineman automatically upgrades the offensive line".

In truth the selecting of 3 OL'ers in the 2018 draft (LT Noteboom/ OC Allen & OG Demby) resulted in very little OL improvement in 2018 season. Even in 2019, those same 3 who all started, did very little to nothing that could be called improvement. But there were injuries involved with 2 of the 3 in 2019. The big Questions surrounding those three 2018 OL Ram draft class remains Unanswered @ this time too.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Austin Corbett
Bobby Evans
Joseph Noteboom
Brian Allen

Can Noteboom and Allen even be counted on at all this year? If so why are we assuming their play will be better coming off of injury when they looked so over-matched and lost last season?

We need to draft interior line 100%. "Isn't as bad as it looks" is completely subjective and doesnt mean the line will be "good." IMO we need at least a good OL to have a shot at the playoffs.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I would go into this season NOT having any expectations from Noteboom and Allen. They must show they can stay on the field much less start (Neither played well before getting hurt to begin with at LG and C)...

I really hope we come out with a decent pass blocking LT whether it be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. Who knows what we have in Havenstein and there's no telling when/if Whit regresses due to age...

I hope all the playing time last year helped bring along Edwards, Corbett, and Evans. Im excited to see what they do this year but we need a backup plan at LT and I consider it a big need for us. If we thought our line was bad last year imagine it with no Whitworth or a really bad aging one...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Once again re: the OL... I am not content with a unit that can get us to the playoffs. I want a unit that can protect our young QB and open holes consistently in the run game vs the top defenses you're gonna see once you're IN the playoffs.

We need a Center. Not necessarily at 52, but the need means we can't address it round 6 either.

And we need a developmental LT type. That window at 52 might produce one and if it does you take him because we don't have a round 1 pick in 2021 either and Whit is not getting any younger. Also if we do take an OT there he can boost our competition on the interior for 2020.

The problem here is we've nuked the fucking OL so badly for so long that we're seeing diminishing returns. Nothing has changed. The OL has some good pieces but to ensure we have a plus unit we're gonna need a little more talent added.

The Rams have added 4 draft picks the last 2 seasons. It’s called injury’s. Yes Kromer & Mcvay finally got burned bad last season. I was always screaming about the depth.
I go back to when I saw the development of The Big 5 McVays rookie season. I yelled at Les Snead for at least 5 minutes telling him so as heard & saw me. Yes yelled at Mcvay as well , but he gets buried in between players.
Watching Whitworth,Sullivan & Goff interact was cool. YES, I yelled at Roger Saffold telling him to be a team player. Watching Havenstien & J. Brown off to the side. It was cool to have 50yard line seats 3rd isle behind The Rams bench with a couple beers in hand.
I hear what your saying the,but don’t agree. I’ve been on both sides of the fence. You can YELL as LOUD as you want.It will not change anything so your going to have to deal with it. I think your wrong.

—The Problem was not giving Noteboom & Brian Allen any STARTING
Experience going into 2019.
NOT ONLY Noteboom & Brian Allen never had Starting Experience,but didn’t have any GAME EXPERIENCE except a couple downs 2018 & preseason which maybe they received
starting time for like 2 games.