Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brian Allen in college started more games @ OG than he did @ center. 21 starts @ OG & 13 @ OC. Most of his starts were @ left OG.

The jury is still out on Brian Allen due to major continued problems mostly in three areas. #1- BA really struggles with his Snap to step quickness. #2-DC's found out that BA's block can be easily beaten when sending NT/DT's racing into neutral zone off BA's snap....he just can not recover from it due to lack of length. #3- Greatly improve with the overall use of his hands. If BA can not improve the first two he will be moved away from the OC post to just being a reserve for both OG posts in 2020 season. In BA's last 3 yrs @ college he has two seasons as starting OG & 1 @ starting center.

If the Rams pass on a OC in the draft Blythe will be our starter. The reserve interior OL'ers is well set...with Allen, Shelton, Kolone, Demby & Trewyn. Brewer who is much better OG than OT will be forced into the exterior reserve cadre because of OT Noteboom injuries. Pretty sure that Evans will make Hav exterior reserve with Brewer

Say what you want. Just like with Roger Saffold being the Backup LT which I never saw him play at all under Mcvay. My takes is Brian Allen was drafted as a Center mainly.I can’t see him being the backup guard,especially RG. If Edwards gets injured Blythe would slide over maybe? Evans might be cross trained ?
Still hard to say,but Brian Allen as a guard would be way worse than at center.
Will see,but he was listed as a Center coming out in the 2018 draft.
So be it

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mike Thomas’ contract expired, and he signed with Cincinnati.

Yeah,but he needed to go!!! Time to move on.He is a special teams guy.I didn’t like his over pursuing style. He had nice speed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Evans beats out Havenstein at RT, it's not going to make him a backup, it's going to make him a free agent. They can save 3.25 mil if they release him after June 1st instead of paying that 7.8 mil salary.
i
I hope going into the season, it's Whitworth, Edwards, Blythe, Evans and Havenstein if Noteboom isn't ready. If he is, I hope it's Whitworth, Edwards, Blythe, Noteboom and Havenstein. Evans can back up Noteboom and Havenstein. Corbett is a reserve G. Allen a reserve C. Brewer is a reserve G. Noteboom is a reserve T. Demby should be cut. They can pick the other from the group of Kolone, Shelton, Trewyn and a draft pick is they go that way. But the guy with the most on the line (no pun intended) is Havenstein because if he can't nail down the starting job, he's gone.
You still want Noteboom starting @ OG? I never want to see Noteboom starting @ OG again. That Noteboom is a starting NFL OG by Kromer plan was a disaster. I just do not see Kromer flipping Edwards out of the RG post he played the last 7 gms just to insert Noteboom @ RG.

All my thoughts on Hav is based on being beaten out of his starting RT post by Bobby Evans after the pre-season is concluded. So are yours....so do you not see where Hav would have good trade fodder value for 2021 draft pick as a late 2020 trade dead line option?

I sure do not see Hav being cut & thus being a free agent as the regular season begins. Rams just paid Hav a near $4 million on March 20th on a down payment for work earnings for the 2020 season. I would imagine just before the 2020 NFL trade deadline there will be a number of teams dealing with injuries to their RT post. Hav would have enough value that Snead would get a future draft selection for Hav. The cut of Hav after June 1st would result in $4.55 million of dead cap $$$$. Sorry I just do not see that.

Best to keep Hav on the roster if they can not trade him & have an excellent reserve OL'er if needed. Rams can released Hav anytime after the 2021 NFL begins with a cap savings of a near $7 million!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO the Hav's payment of that near $4mil paid in late March 21 days ago would indicate to me Rams Org. decided on retaining Hav as he was...:unsure: Rams will not know Hav's ability or inability to win back his RT post well into preseason.

I have to think the Rams are is dire need to find cap fund savings NOW from the current roster? From your excellent dive into the numbers on Hav he would net $3.25 million to help now with the salary cap being in the RED if in fact $$$ is needed now. Rams have 3 to 4 young talented OL'ers who can play RT if need be. So I find it odd Hav is still here.:confused: Question is why is Hav still a Ram then?

After consuming your above post (reading it a dozen times after coffee;)) I still maintain Hav's top & main value (even with the salary cap $$ cost attached to this action) to this team, Hav will end up as Sneads 2020 draft matter most like trade up ammo fodder!

Hav's next value to this team would be as Snead's trade option to be used to acquire an addition draft selection in the 2021 NFL draft when he only has 4 picks. His next lower value would be as an expensive well seasoned RT reserve.

Thanks for the deep analysis. Some added draft drama maybe.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO the Hav's payment of that near $4mil paid in late March 21 days ago would indicate to me Rams Org. decided on retaining Hav as he was...:unsure: Rams will not know Hav's ability or inability to win back his RT post well into preseason.

I have to think the Rams are is dire need to find cap fund savings NOW from the current roster? From your excellent dive into the numbers on Hav he would net $3.25 million to help now with the salary cap being in the RED if in fact $$$ is needed now. Rams have 3 to 4 young talented OL'ers who can play RT if need be. So I find it odd Hav is still here.:confused: Question is why is Hav still a Ram then?

After consuming your above post (reading it a dozen times after coffee;)) I still maintain Hav's top & main value (even with the salary cap $$ cost attached to this action) to this team, Hav will end up as Sneads 2020 draft matter most like trade up ammo fodder!

Hav's next value to this team would be as Snead's trade option to be used to acquire an addition draft selection in the 2021 NFL draft when he only has 4 picks. His next lower value would be as an expensive well seasoned RT reserve.

Thanks for the deep analysis. Some added draft drama maybe.

I like Bobby Evans,but Rob Havenstien still has upside. I’m sure he is hungry to prove himself. He came into camp out of shape. He went with the RICE rehab. I’m glad The Rams kept him on the bench even if it would cost them a playoff spot.
I keep saying will see,but the real tell will be if The Rams draft a Tackle early. Then there is a problem, until then I see Havenstien being the starting RT.
I wish there were OTA’s right now. We would have a lot better idea.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Bobby Evans,but Rob Havenstien still has upside. I’m sure he is hungry to prove himself. He came into camp out of shape. He went with the RICE rehab. I’m glad The Rams kept him on the bench even if it would cost them a playoff spot.
I keep saying will see,but the real tell will be if The Rams draft a Tackle early. Then there is a problem, until then I see Havenstien being the starting RT.
I wish there were OTA’s right now. We would have a lot better idea.
But he still is incapable of protecting Goff any longer than a 3-step drop on the right side from smaller speed rushers no matter what he does this off season & even if he comes into camp in better condition. He is a target each & every pass play. Hav has never possessed the skills to prolong his protection long enough with quick small speed rushers. It's been that way since the beginning his rookie season.

The only hope for Hav is the Rams 2020 running attack is immensely improved to the 2017/2018 era or above. I just do not see that happening at this moment in time.

Since you have a collection of past Ram gms to enjoy go watch the 2019 Buc's game. That will show you all you need to know.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
But he still is incapable of protecting Goff any longer than a 3-step drop on the right side from smaller speed rushers no matter what he does this off season & even if he comes into camp in better condition. He is a target each & every pass play. Hav has never possessed the skills to prolong his protection long enough with quick small speed rushers. It's been that way since the beginning his rookie season.

The only hope for Hav is the Rams 2020 running attack is immensely improved to the 2017/2018 era or above. I just do not see that happening at this moment in time.

Since you have a collection of past Ram gms to enjoy go watch the 2019 Buc's game. That will show you all you need to know.
One thing that didn't work in Rob's favor, the whole oline even, was that the league made it a point to be more strict about offensive holding. I would imagine that it affected the way he played, and if he struggled with pass pro to begin with it probably made his job harder.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well from what was said is he was playing hurt ?? I don’t know how true that is. Fair enough, I have more faith in Big Rob!! I’m sure The Rams do as well. He has those ling arms that save him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@payote75

I need to say you were on target in our discussions on Brandon Cook(y):biggrin:. You were 100% correct & I was 100% wrong! :oops:

Great call! I would have never thought any good NFL GM would consider making a trade like we got for Brandon Cook. ;)

Here's what I posted: "To set the table here in side the box ;) for my below comments I should make it clear that I consider a Brandon Cook trade as "Not going to happen".

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
@payote75

I need to say you were on target in our discussions on Brandon Cook(y):biggrin:. You were 100% correct & I was 100% wrong! :oops:

Great call! I would have never thought any good NFL GM would consider making a trade like we got for Brandon Cook. ;)

Here's what I posted: "To set the table here in side the box ;) for my below comments I should make it clear that I consider a Brandon Cook trade as "Not going to happen".

Hey man thanks for the shout. I got lucky and you were right too it wasn't any good GM lol it was O'Brien ...you know what they say there is a sucker born every minute or this case second lol. I'm not hating on Cooks though he is class but from a business perspective it's a win win.

In all seriousness though I hope the rams have yet some more tricks up there sleeve. Honestly they getting destroyed everywhere I turn. I'm so tired of the narrative of "how the mighty have fallen" "stupid front office" "what were they thinking" yet these are some of the same people that applauded them and their front office for going for it and for smart contracts before the new CBA with the exception of TG as people were a bit on the fence with that because of the position. The rams with a solid draft and another trick or two will be fine this year but next year they have 57-65 mill in cap space and that's without the projection of the 40 mill from the cap escalating.

So this draft is pivotal if they hit on some good players thats more youth added more cheap labor then the money is there if they plan on resigning Kupp, Ramsey, JJ, and Everett etc. With room to spare to add a free agent or two so I'm actually loving what they are doing. The only fly in the ointment would be if Kupp or Ramsey walk that would hurt. Would be a major setback.
If the line develops and shows improvement this team wouldn't have many holes to plug up next year with cash on hand. The areas you could be looking at would be the o-line again and linebackers but that's if there is no improvement in these area this year. I like what they are doing. Still think we are in the hunt for a playoff spot this year as well. Am I missing something? Lol

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Agree, If the Rams do not draft an OL in the draft.....I then would even go further using your prospective Rams starting OL:

#6-Chandler Brewer {Swing OT}
#7-Brian Allen {reserve interior LG/OC/RG}
#8-Rob Havenstein {back up RT}
#9-Coleman Shelton {reserve interior LG/OC/RG}
**************************************************************************************************
#10- Joe Noteboom {Swing OT} will be PUP'd until the bye.
#11- Nate Trewyn {Practice Squad center}
#12-Jeremiah Kolone {Practice Squad reserve interior LG/OC/RG}

Later in the season: When Noteboom is finally activated he will move into the #6th LT back up position. Brewer will move down into the #7 OL position as the main game day reserve for RT/RG/LG posts.
9 offensive lineman and three on the practice squad sounds about right.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Do you consider yourself a draftnik?

I used to be.I still do a lot of the same things. Find value in the draft on players that will make an impact in the NFL by position.
I like Johnathan Taylor & P. Queen. Gross-Matos. Those are early rd. Guys that might slip.
Hard to make a call I like AJ Dillion for The Rams. I think Les Snead might actually draft 2 RB’s ??
I still haven’t got down to draft picks & not into it like I was. Just go by what The Rams needs are & find those players.
The JR.’s might take more time to develop, that plays a part as well. Certain players come out to soon.
MCSNEAD need to find a LB/OLB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Do you consider yourself a draftnik?

I spent every moment I could reading about, watching and studying draft picks for about 20 years. I've actually followed the draft since the 80's, but info was not available like it was once the WWW became available. I tracked my picks for several years at one point and would have had a much better team through many of the losing seasons. I've also paid close attention to what certain coaches and teams do in the draft. So I think I have a good grasp of things at this point.

That being said, two years ago I realized that although I had fun I was wasting way too much time on something that I had no control over. So now I don't follow it as closely. I just look at prospects in positions of need, and I look at possible players for the Rams first few picks. But I don't spend anywhere near the amount on it that I used to, because my teams isn't taking any advice from me.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Draftnicks have a different perspective on NFL football.

Mine is real hand in the dirt 60 minutes of football.
The only real purpose I have for the draft is I want good Scouts and a good draft plan to replace key positions and provide backup.
I'm not looking for any rookie offensive lineman to be able to be plugged in immediately that would help any better than keeping this group together with some continuity.
But I do hope a real good player that we had high marks on falls to us at any position.
There's no such thing as being too deep in a already talented good position.

We may just be looking from different perspectives.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I'm sticking with my prediction for the starting offensive line, barring injuries;
Whitworth another year older no telling when he is to old.
Corbett another teams reject maybe kromer can save him but no guarantee
Blythe imo a good back up at g or center but not a starter
Edwards may get better with experience but other teams will get film on him and find weakness
Evans same as above