Rams’ offensive line problem isn’t as bad as it looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Snead in this last decade has drafted 10 OT's but only drafted 3 OG's, Rok Watkins, Cody Wichmann & Brian Allen. He has drafted 2 OC's over this last decade Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney.

Good post. Though it's true he only drafted 3 OGs, few believed Jamon Brown or Andrew Donnal were going to be NFL tackles. It's pretty common to draft OTs with the idea to insert them as NFL guards.

But 14 OL taken in 6 different drafts say's something. But he's only taken 1 in the 1st round and 1 in the 2nd. The rest were 3rd (3) or lower (9). And let's face it, if you're grabbing a guy in the 6th or 7th (4), the expectations can't be that high.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Snead has given words to his preference for OT's in his drafts. This has been brought out by Snead several times throughout the years when speaking to the press. Best I can recall I have no issues with his motives in this element of the OL. I believe it's a good way to go @ it myself.

He believes that college OT's can be very good OG prospects in the NFL & you might get a little better results on the field in pass blocking from this. As we all know college OL'ers commonly enter the NFL absent solid pass blocking skills

It would appear that he took a very big hit in this area last season with Joseph Noteboom 2019 deplorable OG performance. However, former college OT's now starters Edwards & Corbett worked to make Snead look good in this train of thought.

Never noticed this as a "strategy," but it makes sense. I wonder how it relates to last year being better at pass pro than run blocking?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Never noticed this as a "strategy," but it makes sense. I wonder how it relates to last year being better at pass pro than run blocking?
You might be able to get a half decent ideal of what the Rams had @ the end of 2019 season in the OL. If you have PFF subscription you can get their grades of all our OL'ers. You can get the Pass Blocking grades vs the Run Blocking grades. I should also state PPF can appear to be not accurate @ times.

Rams did have 11 different OL'ers get snaps with the offense. Going by the grades from just one NFL player grade site PFF...... this would be how those Ram OL'ers & the overall snaps with the offense graded out:

#1- LT- Whitworth 72.8[starter]
#2- OT- Brewer 68.2
#3- OG- Edwards 61[starter]
#4- OC- Allen 58.6[starter]
#5- LG- Corbett 51.8[starter]
#6- RT- Havenstein 50.9[starter]
#7- RG/OC- Blythe 50.3[starter]
#8- RT- Evans 49.4[starter]
#9- OC- Shelton 48.2
#10-LG- Noteboom 37.5[starter]
#11- OG- Demby 27.6

IMO there are too many working elements moving in & out of the starting OL lineup to get an accurate ideal. Hav can't pass block but is very good in RB'ing {this is why we see many members suggesting moving Hav to OG}. The positive surprises in this list would be David Edwards, Brian Allen & Chandler Brewer. The big negatives surprises is Kromers pick to start @ LG Joe Noteboom & his top reserve Jamil Demby. Kromer's cred took a very big hit on those two!:sick:

Having Goff as your QB & your job is procuring OL'ers who will provide the badly needed pass protection........if you want to keep your job long term you better have an OL that can pass block very good. Last season his OL'ers pass blocking particularly early ran mostly in "Fail Mode".

The Joseph Noteboom grade should give cause for pause on the OL'er selected to replace Whitworth @ LT. No team should consider starting a OL'er who graded out as low as Noteboom did. You think it might be a good ideal to strongly consider drafting a future pass blocking LT?

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
those numbers appear to suggest two or three things.
1. The OL was worse in 2016 than it was in 2019
2. Gurley was worse in 2019 than he was in 2016
3. Both
Both.
In my humble opinion.

Gurley was having mystery arthritis problems with his knee that they didn't want to admit.
Because the line was so bad with Noteboom, Allen and a miscast Blythe, Gurleys confidence went to shit.
Henderson was a semi lost rookie.
Right when we needed Brown at mid-season, he started having ankle injuries.

Talk about a lost season for the running game.

And yet we still went 9-7. ;)

An improved line should give us an improved running game now that we have a little more experience in Henderson plus another running back, (to be named later) along with a healthy Thomas.

I feel pretty good about our defense especially since they're working on improving the run stopping.

This damn coronavirus is harshing my buzz though.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I wouldn't sweat the low grade on Noteboom too much because he looked much better at tackle.
He's never been a guard and it's just not his thing.
Blythe WILL be the starting center.
Corbett will have to lose the left guard spot in Camp.
Very excited to see Colton Shelton graded so high despite the limited snaps.

I'm sticking with my prediction for the starting offensive line, barring injuries;
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans

I think they're going to be a handful by midseason.

In the category of, what have you done for me lately?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're shopping Havenstein.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wouldn't sweat the low grade on Noteboom too much because he looked much better at tackle.

I'm sticking with my prediction for the starting offensive line, barring injuries;
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans

Coleman Shelton was sitting around Hav, Blythe & Evans territory....not that bad really. I do believe he will stick on the active roster this season as the 8th or 9th OL'er. He can play four OL posts if needed. Hopefully he has got stronger.

If you like the PFF grade of Shelton then what did you think of the grade on Chandler Brewer? I know very limited snaps I think he had around 7 series with the offense in regular season but a ton of action in preseason.

I am not so sure they can afford to shop Hav @ this time after already paying him his near $4million bonus a few weeks back. I could see Snead using Hav as trade fodder on Friday as a way to sweeten a good amount of draft trading. Hav would be a bargain-basement seasoned starter for a team who has an abundant amount of draft ammoor draft trade for 2nd day draft selection in 2021 draft. Like I was saying any team with a mobile elusive QB & is a heavy run scheme team would love Hav starting for them. Hav just does not fit the McVay 2020 offense with a stationary Goff @ QB.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Coleman Shelton was sitting around Hav, Blythe & Evans territory....not that bad really. I do believe he will stick on the active roster this season as the 8th or 9th OL'er. He can play four OL posts if needed. Hopefully he has got stronger.

If you like the PFF grade of Shelton then what did you think of the grade on Chandler Brewer? I know very limited snaps I think he had around 7 series with the offense in regular season but a ton of action in preseason.

I am not so sure they can afford to shop Hav @ this time after already paying him his near $4million bonus a few weeks back. I could see Snead using Hav as trade fodder on Friday as a way to sweeten a good amount of draft trading. Hav would be a bargain-basement seasoned starter for a team who has an abundant amount of draft ammoor draft trade for 2nd day draft selection in 2021 draft. Like I was saying any team with a mobile elusive QB & is a heavy run scheme team would love Hav starting for them. Hav just does not fit the McVay 2020 offense with a stationary Goff @ QB.
Whoops, I meant Brewer when I wrote, "Shelton". :palm:
I was a little surprised at the high grade they gave Allen.

I thought he looked like hell.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
What is the Rams ideal OL with current personnel?

LA has a handful of notable players to play on the inside, but which would you feel most comfortable starting right now?

Of the approximately 450 votes cast in the survey per position.
I nailed it.

Let's hope we're ALL right. :)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bunch of IF'S when discussing the Rams OL. o_O Yes the OL DEPTH may be the best this Ram team has collected in several decades. :partyhorn:

The Ram OL STARTERS might end up @ the start of the regular season being one of the least'd experienced in decades too. (n)

Inexperienced OL's in the NFL= Non-productive offenses:poop:. Much depends on what happens out @ the RT post & OC. I see those two posts as the most highly contested starting posts.

My description of the Rams 2019 OL season story as "crumbling degenerated occurrence" might be a little heavy:cautious:. You have to be careful & watch yourself when you were having a discussion with the Finance Minister with the very big brain across the pond in Bournemouth UK.

Do you remember Bulger & Bradford getting beat up ?? Wtf - really
- How many times was Goff sacked ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe the OL of .....Whitworth LT/ Corbett LG/ Blythe OC/ Edwards RG/ Evans RT was slowing improving gm by gm over the last 7 gms too. Yes there were some individual lapses & had poor games but the overall unit was what I was primarily focusing on.

Good point on bringing up our 2019 RB unit! This RB unit vastly underperforming too. The 3 Ram RB's were also part of the problem too. None of them were able to produce with any consistency. I would point towards both units myself as being an issue.

McVay did make changes to both OL & RB units. He hired a new offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell & sent OC Kromer back as just OL coach. He dismissed long time RB coach & hired a new coach Thomas Brown. So its clear the Rams Org. saw the same units as needing a change.

Snead's habit of focusing in on OT's when it comes to bringing in new OL talent may be beginning to already payoff in this new refurbished OL. Most of all the new young talent brought in since 2018 Evans/ Edwards/ Corbett/ Noteboom/ Demby {all five} were long time starting OT's in college. In 2019 all of his OG prospects were ex college OT's. I foresee the 2 starters @ the OG posts will be ex OT's. Brewer who is over 6-6 320 plus pounds played mostly The OG posts with some OT starts too in college but has grown into prototype NFL OT size now.

Snead in this last decade has drafted 10 OT's but only drafted 3 OG's, Rok Watkins, Cody Wichmann & Brian Allen. He has drafted 2 OC's over this last decade Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney.

Brian Allen was drafted as a center. His brother plays guard.

Btw - I always said The Rams were never going to be better than .500 with Rhaney. — Glad Bones is gone. That was one of his guys. Special teams changed there kickoffs.

Mike Thomas, & I Hope Smart finally gets cut. Will see what Gaines brings. Just watched the 9ers game again. What a joke Wade playing both of those guys together with the 9ers backed up.
I saw Evens who I believe got hurt that game,knock a guy on his butt. Oh & that INT Goff threw. #81 broke open.Maybe that was not the play,but Blythe has the pocket set. Goff threw as short pass instead.
There were blocks downfield they didn’t block the wrong guy.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You might be able to get a half decent ideal of what the Rams had @ the end of 2019 season in the OL. If you have PFF subscription you can get their grades of all our OL'ers. You can get the Pass Blocking grades vs the Run Blocking grades. I should also state PPF can appear to be not accurate @ times.

Rams did have 11 different OL'ers get snaps with the offense. Going by the grades from just one NFL player grade site PFF...... this would be how those Ram OL'ers & the overall snaps with the offense graded out:

#1- LT- Whitworth 72.8[starter]
#2- OT- Brewer 68.2
#3- OG- Edwards 61[starter]
#4- OC- Allen 58.6[starter]
#5- LG- Corbett 51.8[starter]
#6- RT- Havenstein 50.9[starter]
#7- RG/OC- Blythe 50.3[starter]
#8- RT- Evans 49.4[starter]
#9- OC- Shelton 48.2
#10-LG- Noteboom 37.5[starter]
#11- OG- Demby 27.6

IMO there are too many working elements moving in & out of the starting OL lineup to get an accurate ideal. Hav can't pass block but is very good in RB'ing {this is why we see many members suggesting moving Hav to OG}. The positive surprises in this list would be David Edwards, Brian Allen & Chandler Brewer. The big negatives surprises is Kromers pick to start @ LG Joe Noteboom & his top reserve Jamil Demby. Kromer's cred took a very big hit on those two!:sick:

Having Goff as your QB & your job is procuring OL'ers who will provide the badly needed pass protection........if you want to keep your job long term you better have an OL that can pass block very good. Last season his OL'ers pass blocking particularly early ran mostly in "Fail Mode".

The Joseph Noteboom grade should give cause for pause on the OL'er selected to replace Whitworth @ LT. No team should consider starting a OL'er who graded out as low as Noteboom did. You think it might be a good ideal to strongly consider drafting a future pass blocking LT?

From Allen down on that list they were pretty much garbage. Until they prove the quality of play was circumstantial, I'll have no faith.

I totally agree about Noteboom. It's not uncommon for OTs to move to guard, but how many college guards move to OT in the NFL? I know that Noteboom was a left tackle in college. My point is that guard is the easier position to transfer to. He couldn't even do that well.

Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans

I have a feeling that you will be a bit miffed by midseason when you discover that time and yelling doesn't fix this hodge lodge of players that would mostly be backups on a recent team. Many of them were.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
@Elmgrovegnome.

Each one of our eventual starters looked good at points in the game despite not having a camp consistently working those positions as a unit together in their respective positions.

This will not be in normal year of camp.
So it does make it hard to predict.
But there's no doubt in my mind and if you line those players up like I suggested, (and the poll provided by Bonifay suggested), they would have a great chance of solidifying by midseason.
I don't know where any of the recommended starters that were backups.
They all started by their senior season which is the goal in college.
All of our recent draft picks could be considered under coached in college.
I never had any real reason to be that hyped about Allen and he proved that he was not ready.
I was a little surprised that Noteboom looked that bad at guard but they really are two different positions.

Sorry you feel so negatively about the situation.
I don't.

There is no miracle draft solution or free agency miracle solution to building an o line.

It has to do with coaching,
identifying and coaching up weaknesses.
Repetition and playing as a unit.

I have found that the best overall long-term lines are made out of guys that they got in the second to fourth round, sat for a year as a learned and plugged them into an already solid line.
The Patriots are a good example of this.
They rarely switch more than two players in a year and when they do it is a player who is a mid-round draft pick that they had in their system for a couple of years and are able to basically plug him in.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome.

Each one of our eventual starters looked good at points in the game despite not having a camp consistently working those positions as a unit together in their respective positions.

This will not be in normal year of camp.
So it does make it hard to predict.
But there's no doubt in my mind and if you line those players up like I suggested, (and the poll provided by Bonifay suggested), they would have a great chance of solidifying by midseason.
I don't know where any of the recommended starters that were backups.
They all started by their senior season which is the goal in college.
All of our recent draft picks could be considered under coached in college.
I never had any real reason to be that hyped about Allen and he proved that he was not ready.
I was a little surprised that Noteboom looked that bad at guard but they really are two different positions.

Sorry you feel so negatively about the situation.
I don't.

There is no miracle draft solution or free agency miracle solution to building an o line.

It has to do with coaching,
identifying and coaching up weaknesses.
Repetition and playing as a unit.

I have found that the best overall long-term lines are made out of guys that they got in the second to fourth round, sat for a year as a learned and plugged them into an already solid line.
The Patriots are a good example of this.
They rarely switch more than two players in a year and when they do it is a player who is a mid-round draft pick that they had in their system for a couple of years and are able to basically plug him in.

backups on NFL lines

unless they draft someone they won't have an option to switchI

The best NFL lines have at least two very good to all pro level players

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brian Allen was drafted as a center. His brother plays guard.

Btw - I always said The Rams were never going to be better than .500 with Rhaney. — Glad Bones is gone. That was one of his guys. Special teams changed there kickoffs.

Mike Thomas, & I Hope Smart finally gets cut. Will see what Gaines brings. Just watched the 9ers game again. What a joke Wade playing both of those guys together with the 9ers backed up.
I saw Evens who I believe got hurt that game,knock a guy on his butt. Oh & that INT Goff threw. #81 broke open.Maybe that was not the play,but Blythe has the pocket set. Goff threw as short pass instead.
There were blocks downfield they didn’t block the wrong guy.
Brian Allen in college started more games @ OG than he did @ center. 21 starts @ OG & 13 @ OC. Most of his starts were @ left OG.

The jury is still out on Brian Allen due to major continued problems mostly in three areas. #1- BA really struggles with his Snap to step quickness. #2-DC's found out that BA's block can be easily beaten when sending NT/DT's racing into neutral zone off BA's snap....he just can not recover from it due to lack of length. #3- Greatly improve with the overall use of his hands. If BA can not improve the first two he will be moved away from the OC post to just being a reserve for both OG posts in 2020 season. In BA's last 3 yrs @ college he has two seasons as starting OG & 1 @ starting center.

If the Rams pass on a OC in the draft Blythe will be our starter. The reserve interior OL'ers is well set...with Allen, Shelton, Kolone, Demby & Trewyn. Brewer who is much better OG than OT will be forced into the exterior reserve cadre because of OT Noteboom injuries. Pretty sure that Evans will make Hav exterior reserve with Brewer

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.................................I'm sticking with my prediction for the starting offensive line, barring injuries;
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans
Agree, If the Rams do not draft an OL in the draft.....I then would even go further using your prospective Rams starting OL:

#6-Chandler Brewer {Swing OT}
#7-Brian Allen {reserve interior LG/OC/RG}
#8-Rob Havenstein {back up RT}
#9-Coleman Shelton {reserve interior LG/OC/RG}
**************************************************************************************************
#10- Joe Noteboom {Swing OT} will be PUP'd until the bye.
#11- Nate Trewyn {Practice Squad center}
#12-Jeremiah Kolone {Practice Squad reserve interior LG/OC/RG}

Later in the season: When Noteboom is finally activated he will move into the #6th LT back up position. Brewer will move down into the #7 OL position as the main game day reserve for RT/RG/LG posts.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
At the moment I would be comfortable with Whitworth, Noteboom, Blythe, Edwards and Havenstein as our starters. But I wouldn't be opposed to Evans at RT if Hav continues to play poorly. Corbett would be an option if Noteboom isn't ready. I think with the unexpected experience a few of them have now, we should be deeper than before.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Well, what I think Goff missed last year was run blocking, which in 2017-18 kept the O balanced and opposing Ds off guard--it's got to be way easier to pass pro when the D is continuously kept off balance and in react-mode, and not pinning their ears going after Goff.

It's encouraging to see Havenstein (to me) is a better run-blocker. That might be why he did better at pass pro in 17-18 with an effective balanced attack.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Pretty sure that Evans will make Hav exterior reserve with Brewer

If Evans beats out Havenstein at RT, it's not going to make him a backup, it's going to make him a free agent. They can save 3.25 mil if they release him after June 1st instead of paying that 7.8 mil salary.
i
I hope going into the season, it's Whitworth, Edwards, Blythe, Evans and Havenstein if Noteboom isn't ready. If he is, I hope it's Whitworth, Edwards, Blythe, Noteboom and Havenstein. Evans can back up Noteboom and Havenstein. Corbett is a reserve G. Allen a reserve C. Brewer is a reserve G. Noteboom is a reserve T. Demby should be cut. They can pick the other from the group of Kolone, Shelton, Trewyn and a draft pick is they go that way. But the guy with the most on the line (no pun intended) is Havenstein because if he can't nail down the starting job, he's gone.