Rams Interview Megathread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
(y)
Juan Thornhill
6' 0"
205 lbs

Virginia
Overview
Three-year starter who proved he could bring his instincts and ball skills with him from cornerback to safety in 2018. Thornhill's size and cover talent should allow defensive coordinators the freedom to deploy him around the field in a variety of ways depending on the matchups and his running mate at safety. While he could garner consideration as a corner, safety gives him his best opportunity to become an early starter.
Strengths
  • NFL size and wingspan for the position
  • Former cornerback with carryover ball-hawking mentality
  • Works eyes from ball to receiver to ball again with no issues picking it back up
  • Recognition of route combos gives him head-start on throws
  • Effective playing with back to the ball
  • Treats every target like it is thrown to him
  • Crowds receivers and outworks them for catch space
  • Quick trigger to challenge dig routes
  • Rangy to get to deep part of the field in coverage
  • Can line up over slot on matchup tight ends
  • Athleticism to handle open-field tackling in wide-open space
  • Runs the alley with good pursuit pace
  • Closes distance and drives through runner's legs to finish
Weaknesses
  • Body doesn't appear to carry the puffed-up weight total from the spring
  • Narrow frame for work in the box
  • Needs improvement in attacking blocks near the line
  • Hasn't fully adjusted to run-pursuit angles as safety just yet
  • Occasional busts in coverage as he learns new responsibilities
  • Slow to open and sprint when transitioning on deep throws
  • Has to balance playmaking instincts with more caution when warranted
  • Could have issues against bait routes and play-action early in career
Sources Tell Us

"We look for safeties who can take it away, and that's what he does. It wouldn't surprise me if a team drafted him to move him back to corner since he's long with ball skills." -- Regional scout for NFC team

I really like him, to the extent that I traded up in the ROD Mock to get him. I like his flexibility at both corner and safety. Not surprised the rams are looking at him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Updated list it seems.

• Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State (PRI)
  • C.J. Conrad, TE, Kentucky (EW)
  • Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State (SR)
  • Oshea Dugas, G, Louisiana Tech (EW)
  • Rashad Fenton, CB, South Carolina (EW)
  • Will Harris, S, Boston College (SR)
  • Daniel Helm, TE, Duke (EW)
  • KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State (EW)
  • Erik McCoy, G/C, Texas A&M (PRI)
  • Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls (PRI)
  • Jachai Polite, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (COM)
  • Malik Reed, DE, Nevada (PRI)
  • Darnell Savage, S, Maryland (PRI)
  • Duke Shelley, CB, Kansas State (WOR)
  • Devin Singletary, RB, Florida Atlantic (PRI)
  • Montez Sweat, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Mississippi State (COM)
  • Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
  • Trevon Wesco, FB, West Virginia (SR)
  • Kerrith Whyte Jr., RB, Florida Atlantic (PRI)
  • Chase Winovich, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Michigan (PRO)

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Would like to to see David Montgomery's name on that list

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Might have to settle for Singletary unless we work out Montgomery.
Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with Singletary but Montgomery would be awesome. Hopefully a smokescreen and they are considering Montgomery as well.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Nate Davis fits the Rams scheme fairly well - I could see the Rams getting him in the late 3rd round - and being a starting candidate almost immediately. Most of his weaknesses I suspect Kromer can coach up quickly.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone happen to know how many players that we've drafted in the past two years were guys that we had these visits with?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rushes with restricted stride length
This is what really stands out to me on Reed. He seems to have an exaggeratedly short stride which is fine when in tight but not good when needing to cover ground. Even with a short stride, he seems to lack any kind of explosive step.

So the Rams visits include Safeties - Savage, Thornhill, and Abrams. Due diligence? Thinking Weddle is a one and done?

I don't know where these guys are projected right now, but my guess is they'd be second round options in a trade back scenario. Or will they likely be third rounders?
I think Weddle is likely a one or two year option and mentor with the Rams. It seems to make sense to grab his heir before we actually need him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is what really stands out to me on Reed. He seems to have an exaggeratedly short stride which is fine when in tight but not good when needing to cover ground. Even with a short stride, he seems to lack any kind of explosive step.

I think Weddle is likely a one or two year option and mentor with the Rams. It seems to make sense to grab his heir before we actually need him.

Weddle only is signed for two years. Drafting a safety early would likely mean he's more likely a 1year option, unless they whiff on the player. I think there were better free agent safeties available, even some that were released. Maybe they have had their eye on a particular safety for a while now, and just grabbed Weddle as insurance, and like you said, a mentor. It could be that these three (Savage, Thornhill, Abranms) are plan B options.

I was surprised to see Daniel Jeremiah rating Abrams as the 23 best player in his top 50. As a box safety I never really considered him a first round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...emiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-40

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I was surprised to see Daniel Jeremiah rating Abrams as the 23 best player in his top 50. As a box safety I never really considered him a first round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...emiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-40

It's a joke that Abrams is rated above Adderly, Rapp, and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Abrams is a third round prospect. Maybe he goes in the second, considering that the secondary class this year is total shit, but no higher. All three of the guys I listed are clearly better.