Rams Interview Megathread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Sorry, but I just don't see him as a reach in the mid to slightly upper 2'nd round. He definitely would be a reach imo if he was still projected in the later half of the 1'st round as some had him several weeks ago. With Suh & Westbrooks gone, a very unproven Tanzel Smart, and what appears to be a slowing Brockers, I'd like to make room for two additions along the DL, my thinking led me to Allen and perhaps Khalen Saunders, but i'm more than ready to hear other suggestions where we can improve quickly.

I watched Senior bowl practices. It is a very good indicator how players measure up against their peers. Allen didn't stand out. In pass rush drills he did the same thing over and over again. He was neutralized by most of the OT's in just about every rep. IMO, Charles Omenihu (Texas) & Anthony Nelson (Iowa) would be better value for a 5-Tech in the second or third round.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I watched Senior bowl practices. It is a very good indicator how players measure up against their peers. Allen didn't stand out. In pass rush drills he did the same thing over and over again. He was neutralized by most of the OT's in just about every rep. IMO, Charles Omenihu (Texas) & Anthony Nelson (Iowa) would be better value for a 5-Tech in the second or third round.

Yes, the Senior Bowl was frustrating for watching Allen, and i'm certain that's why he was dropped out of 1'st round contention, yet he still has some excellent tape from BC. If Phillips doesn't think he can be trained up, then it doesn't matter. While I prefer Tillary at #31, i'd still like to find a method to add another player from a trade down, but a Jerry Tillary in the 1'st round and a Khalen Saunders in the 3'rd would be very pleasing and more than suffice.
I like Omenihu, but he may need a year on the bench getting bigger & stronger before facing NFL talent as a 3/4 DE. I can't comment on Nelson as i'm not familiar with him. I believe there are some immediacy concerns with our DL though with the absence of Suh & Westbrooks, the slowing of Brockers and the questionable talent level for Tanzel Smart. I'm fine with Franklin-Myers & Joseph-Day in a rotational role for now, but that current DL looks potentially very troublesome. As mentioned in an earlier post, i'm open to any suggestions on improving this team. jmo.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Is Tillery really not a first round talent? I thought he is a first round lock.

Most of the mocks i've been looking at have him hovering around those last 5 picks in the first round and the top 5 picks in the second.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Do we need two of the same thread?
Merged.

@jakebogen95 - like we tell others, please use the search function and skim through the threads to see if the same subject has already been posted.

You can get your stuff noticed by bumping a thread with your content. It keeps the board cleaner, reduces confusion, and is more respectful to other members.

Thanks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm glad to hear we are looking at QB's, even if they are later round guys, with our staff, we have a chance to develop somebody, either for us, or somebody else...see the Patriots.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm glad to hear we are looking at QB's, even if they are later round guys, with our staff, we have a chance to develop somebody, either for us, or somebody else...see the Patriots.

Yeah, Bortles has a one year contract. They need to at least try to develop somebody. That way they'll know how much emphasis if any to put on getting another backup.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Malik Reed is a fit for what the Rams are looking for (and many other teams of course). He has film with some off-ball and edge rush, and when he goes balls-out on the rush he's pretty effective. Kind of guy they'd probably like to add to our growing corps of LBs and coach 'em all up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsEnikQZwhU

I see a guy that looks late off the snap and slow to diagnose plays. He seems to lack instincts other than when he is just rushing the passer only. I guess he could be a situational rusher on pass plays. I don’t know if he’s any better than Young from last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see a guy that looks late off the snap and slow to diagnose plays. He seems to lack instincts other than when he is just rushing the passer only. I guess he could be a situational rusher on pass plays. I don’t know if he’s any better than Young from last year.

Well we're not talking about him as an early round option. But he is good on the rush and has some flexibility, seems like a good fit for us as a "add him to the LB group and coach him up" type deal.

And I also think the Rams will be very aggressive with ILBs in their UDFA efforts too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah, he didn't pique my interest.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think Malik Reed is a fit for what the Rams are looking for (and many other teams of course). He has film with some off-ball and edge rush, and when he goes balls-out on the rush he's pretty effective. Kind of guy they'd probably like to add to our growing corps of LBs and coach 'em all up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsEnikQZwhU

Coaches and fans in Nevada are glad that Reed made the trek from Dothan, Alabama for college. He was a first-team All-Mountain West selection in 2017, compiling 49 tackles, 10 for loss, and leading the Wolf Pack with eight sacks) and repeated that honor as a senior, posting 77 tackles and leading the squad in tackles for loss (15.5), sacks (eight), and forced fumbles (four). Reed was a second-team all-conference pick in 2016, starting every game and winning the team's Most Outstanding Defensive Player award (59 tackles, 9.5 for loss, team-high five sacks and three forced fumbles). As a redshirt freshman, Reed played in all 13 games (one start) and had 18 tackles (3.5 for loss, one sack). His father, Anthony, played basketball at Troy and is a member of that school's Hall of Fame.
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Overview
Career edge rusher attempting to transition into a hybrid role as a base linebacker with sub-rush potential. Reed lacks the size and length of a 3-4 outside linebacker but he needs more experience and technique before he will be able to take NFL reps as a standard linebacker in space. He flashes athletic qualities worthy of development as a practice squad linebacker or as a designated pass rusher with special teams value.
Strengths

• Tremendous impact production as an upfield player
  • Posted 22 sacks, 35 tackles for loss and 11 forced fumbles over last three years
  • Twitchy two-hand swipe to attack tackle's punch
  • Flexible ankles for tight cornering
  • Bends edge and flattens to the quarterback
  • Springy inside spin-counter with adequate set-up
  • Flashes lateral burst to close distance on running backs
  • Quick diagnose and recovery against misdirection
  • Functional change of direction mirror in downhill pursuit
  • Drives through ball-carriers with heavy pads
  • Above-average finishing rate as tackler.
Weaknesses

• More 'tweener than hybrid as a position fit
  • Lacks size and length for natural edge spot
  • Raw and inexperienced as linebacker
  • Inconsistent recognition of blocking scheme and play design
  • Too easily trapped in mess between first and second levels
  • Below-average take-on technique causes loss of gap
  • Struggles to punch and play off blocks quickly
  • Out of position in coverage duties
  • Rushes with restricted stride length
  • Below-average conversion of speed to pow

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So the Rams visits include Safeties - Savage, Thornhill, and Abrams. Due diligence? Thinking Weddle is a one and done?

I don't know where these guys are projected right now, but my guess is they'd be second round options in a trade back scenario. Or will they likely be third rounders?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the Rams visits include Safeties - Savage, Thornhill, and Abrams. Due diligence? Thinking Weddle is a one and done?

I don't know where these guys are projected right now, but my guess is they'd be second round options in a trade back scenario. Or will they likely be third rounders?
Next year there is only $500k guaranteed so it's easy to move on after one year. Couple that with Countess and Christian will both be UFA next year Safety is a need.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Read Rams also have Juan Thornhill safety from Virginia coming in.

(y)
Juan Thornhill
6' 0"
205 lbs

Virginia
Overview
Three-year starter who proved he could bring his instincts and ball skills with him from cornerback to safety in 2018. Thornhill's size and cover talent should allow defensive coordinators the freedom to deploy him around the field in a variety of ways depending on the matchups and his running mate at safety. While he could garner consideration as a corner, safety gives him his best opportunity to become an early starter.
Strengths
  • NFL size and wingspan for the position
  • Former cornerback with carryover ball-hawking mentality
  • Works eyes from ball to receiver to ball again with no issues picking it back up
  • Recognition of route combos gives him head-start on throws
  • Effective playing with back to the ball
  • Treats every target like it is thrown to him
  • Crowds receivers and outworks them for catch space
  • Quick trigger to challenge dig routes
  • Rangy to get to deep part of the field in coverage
  • Can line up over slot on matchup tight ends
  • Athleticism to handle open-field tackling in wide-open space
  • Runs the alley with good pursuit pace
  • Closes distance and drives through runner's legs to finish
Weaknesses
  • Body doesn't appear to carry the puffed-up weight total from the spring
  • Narrow frame for work in the box
  • Needs improvement in attacking blocks near the line
  • Hasn't fully adjusted to run-pursuit angles as safety just yet
  • Occasional busts in coverage as he learns new responsibilities
  • Slow to open and sprint when transitioning on deep throws
  • Has to balance playmaking instincts with more caution when warranted
  • Could have issues against bait routes and play-action early in career
Sources Tell Us

"We look for safeties who can take it away, and that's what he does. It wouldn't surprise me if a team drafted him to move him back to corner since he's long with ball skills." -- Regional scout for NFC team