Rams Hire Raheem Morris as new DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't recall Morris' defense giving anyone fits tbh. But all that and my own reservations aside I suspect McVay is more involved in the defense than most of the offensively minded HCs around the league.

I am of the mind that McVay is on that Belichick path where he will master all three phases at some point. He's not there yet but I would guess his defensive knowledge is exceptional.

In the first five games, Atlanta was giving up 32.2 PPG. After they fired Quinn and made Morris the interim HC, Atlanta gave up 23 PPG. That's a pretty impressive improvement.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Is it likely the Defense takes a step back? I’d say yes. But I don’t expect a huge drop off.
I don't either. Scheme/coaching is important sure, but with #99 and #20 on your team it's kind of a no-brainer how you attack and defend on D.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I think the threat to sign Williams are the good teams. The playoff teams. The late first round is where I think they won't mind giving up the pick for a guy of Williams' ability. :cool:(y)
A late 1st for Williams would be a win imo. But I dont believe the rams resign him anyway and a late 1st is better than a comp 3rd.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
To be honest, I was frustrated by our Number 1 defense this year....................but I don't know where the blame is to be pointed at either:

The Rams Defense had a strange pattern of two dominate games in a row followed by a "Shit the Bed" game and then a luke warm one slipped in there too. It seemed to repeat all year long like that.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
But he's already been a head coach. Why should the Rams get a pick? They didn't develop him.

Because you make rules based on an idea or a concept. Ideas and concepts never perfectly match reality. Rules will also never perfectly match reality.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In the first five games, Atlanta was giving up 32.2 PPG. After they fired Quinn and made Morris the interim HC, Atlanta gave up 23 PPG. That's a pretty impressive improvement.
The team hated Quinn. And I don't want to get all negative on the guy here though so let me just say I'm sure he knows his shit if McVay wants him. I am hopeful as well. Just not particularly impressed by it and in fact it might be his first friend hire.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think the threat to sign Williams are the good teams. The playoff teams. The late first round is where I think they won't mind giving up the pick for a guy of Williams' ability. :cool:(y)

If someone gives us a late first rounder for him ... well, while I don't want to lose him, that would be quite a nice consolation prize. It would certainly be valuable given some of our other needs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If someone gives us a late first rounder for him ... well, while I don't want to lose him, that would be quite a nice consolation prize. It would certainly be valuable given some of our other needs.

If we re-sign Hill, I could see that, but I can't imagine McVay wanting to lose two starting cornerbacks, especially with Long/Burgess being unproven, albeit with potential.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
N9LLSDe.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we re-sign Hill, I could see that, but I can't imagine McVay wanting to lose two starting cornerbacks, especially with Long/Burgess being unproven, albeit with potential.
I don't know if there's enough time for the memory of that last game to fade by the time we hit FA. He was the weak link in our secondary IMO he gone.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't know if there's enough time for the memory of that last game to fade by the time we hit FA. He was the weak link in our secondary IMO he gone.

I agree, I think Hill's gone as well. I just can't see us taking the comp pick for D-Will along with losing Hill. Long/Burgess have not played nearly enough to give me confidence as starters.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Usually when a new coordinator arrives I hope the team picks up a young little known potential gem that the guy used to coach.

I see why the Falcons had such a bad record. Old roster.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
If this means we lose Pleasant, I'm not for it. Multiple players (including Ramsey) we're all for promoting him.
Morris has worked on staffs with three current rams defensive position coaches. Namely Pleasent, Barry, and Evero. so hopefully there is some report.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That's a good sign, I think.

We did well when McVay was fully invested in the offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, we can use that first rounder in the trade for Deshaun Watson, amiright???

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must be missing something. What is so special about Morris ?
His resume isn’t very impressive from what I see.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must be missing something. What is so special about Morris ?
His resume isn’t very impressive from what I see.
The Emperor's clothes are so finely stitched, they are transparent....What's wrong with you?