Rams Hire Raheem Morris as new DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He would have to be pretty bad not to succeed with the talenton this roster, even if Floyd and JJ leave via free agency.
I want to agree with you here Elm. But I expect this defense to take a step back as it is because Floyd's departure will be a net loss. Unlikely we hit on another one year rental that can do what he did for us this season. I also expect Williams to be signed away and we'll get a pick for him but that will also be a net loss as it is unlikely they find a guy for 2021 who can ball like he can.

I expect our safety position to be worse too. Losing JJ is part of this but also they might need to trade Rapp to a team that has a SS role for him. If Rapp can excel in this scheme that will help a lot but I'm not sure he can. This isn't the toughest thing to address however it's another need on the pile.

So right out the gate I expect a dip in Edge, Corner, and Safety due to roster changes. Then you get into the coach and gameplan layer with some unknowns. There's certainly room for Morris to kill it and get a HC job from this roster but we'll have to wait and see if he's as good as Staley was at identifying what he wants and ensuring the Rams go get it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I want to agree with you here Elm. But I expect this defense to take a step back as it is because Floyd's departure will be a net loss. Unlikely we hit on another one year rental that can do what he did for us this season. I also expect Williams to be signed away and we'll get a pick for him but that will also be a net loss as it is unlikely they find a guy for 2021 who can ball like he can.

I expect our safety position to be worse too. Losing JJ is part of this but also they might need to trade Rapp to a team that has a SS role for him. If Rapp can excel in this scheme that will help a lot but I'm not sure he can. This isn't the toughest thing to address however it's another need on the pile.

So right out the gate I expect a dip in Edge, Corner, and Safety due to roster changes. Then you get into the coach and gameplan layer with some unknowns. There's certainly room for Morris to kill it and get a HC job from this roster but we'll have to wait and see if he's as good as Staley was at identifying what he wants and ensuring the Rams go get it.

So you don’t think the Rams give DW a first round tender? I don’t think he gets signed if they do. He’s good but teams love their first round draft picks.

I agree on Rapp. That pick was a waste. 2nd round was too high for a box safety of his ability. Plus he’s had his share of injuries. I hated the trading back in that draft. Trade him if they can.

I won’t speculate on what happens with Floyd or JJ. I recall other years when RoD members were saying there is no way they can afford to sign free agents.

Is it likely the Defense takes a step back? I’d say yes. But I don’t expect a huge drop off.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Morris would be great, and Pleasant would be wise to stick around under him. Surely would be the DC in waiting upon Morris getting a HC gig

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The Rams already play a Version of the 4-3 with a lot of Nickle & dime packages. He is just a solid DC & football coach.
Yeah. I feel like almost every time I look at the Rams actual personnel on the field, they are in some version of the 3-3.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like almost every time I look at the Rams actual personnel on the field, they are in some version of the 3-3.
Second ILB is usually the one to come off for the 3rd safety or CB so yeah it's usually a 3-3-5.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you don’t think the Rams give DW a first round tender? I don’t think he gets signed if they do. He’s good but teams love their first round draft picks.

I agree on Rapp. That pick was a waste. 2nd round was too high for a box safety of his ability. Plus he’s had his share of injuries. I hated the trading back in that draft. Trade him if they can.

I won’t speculate on what happens with Floyd or JJ. I recall other years when RoD members were saying there is no way they can afford to sign free agents.

Is it likely the Defense takes a step back? I’d say yes. But I don’t expect a huge drop off.
I think the threat to sign Williams are the good teams. The playoff teams. The late first round is where I think they won't mind giving up the pick for a guy of Williams' ability. :cool:(y)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's cool and all but I want another top performing unit. Very luke warm on this hire basically but I hope it works out because we'll get a pick when he's hired away which will be a nice fucking change lol.

But he's already been a head coach. Why should the Rams get a pick? They didn't develop him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Second ILB is usually the one to come off for the 3rd safety or CB so yeah it's usually a 3-3-5.
Yeah and it makes me think about how nice it would be if an impact ILB were to fall into our laps for once.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he's already been a head coach. Why should the Rams get a pick? They didn't develop him.
Good question. Not sure if the rule goes that deep.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
You guys probably better than me at remembering but I know Fangio's defense gave mcvay fits but have we ever faced or had trouble with any Morris defense?

Granted our offense has trouble against most defenses now a days but still was curious.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't recall Morris' defense giving anyone fits tbh. But all that and my own reservations aside I suspect McVay is more involved in the defense than most of the offensively minded HCs around the league.

I am of the mind that McVay is on that Belichick path where he will master all three phases at some point. He's not there yet but I would guess his defensive knowledge is exceptional.