Rams Hire Raheem Morris as new DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
tenor.gif

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This is a awesome hire if it happens. Great leader and turned the Falcons around to a decent team once he was coaching.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I don't see how he's a fit with the personal on defense. Plus didn't the falcon have the worst pass d in the league?

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Doesnt he run a 4-3?

I don't know if he is married to it but he certainly has had most of his coaching upbringing in the 4-3. Particularly the ole cover 2. But there's an old connection between him and McVay with Gruden back at Tampa Bay so that makes sense at least.

But I agree this would make for an interesting offseason if that's who we hire. We don't have a lot of traditional 4-3 ends on our roster. Morgan Fox if we can resign him. That's all I can think of off the top of my head who fits the classic 4-3 mold size wise. Lewis and Obo are undersized probably. Idk, will have to see I suppose.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rivers can likely play end in a 4-3 as well Never mind he’s lighter than I thought.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Morris and McVay were on Washington’s staff together for 3 years, so Sean has first hand knowledge of Morris’ credentials.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully this isn't us chasing the new 3rd round comp pick formula. Because I think morris will be a head coach soon.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I cant see McVay changing from a wildly successful new scheme after just one year, so he obviously feels that Morris can keep some sort of continuity going.

Surprised Pleasant isnt getting the promotion. I hope we dont lose the really good assistant coaches who have clearly been contributing to our defensive success (Pleasant, Henderson, Evero etc)

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Hopefully this isn't us chasing the new 3rd round comp pick formula. Because I think morris will be a head coach soon.

That would be a really stupid thing to do. 3rd round picks are nice but they arent so nice that you dont hire the right guy for the job.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
100% agree w/ @ScotsRam I am shocked we didn't hire within. Both DB coaches are overdue for a DC gig

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be a really stupid thing to do. 3rd round picks are nice but they arent so nice that you dont hire the right guy for the job.
I mean he could be "right enough". But maybe that adds a little incentive.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On one hand, I think it's a great hire. Morris really turned the Falcons around when he took over. On the other hand, if he does well here, I guarantee he's a NFL HC after the season. But there are much worse outcomes than that. Morris is not married to a traditional 4-3 Cover 2. That was what he ran when he was HC because he came up under Monte Kiffin. Since that time, he has coached under people who have run a traditional 3-4 scheme and Pete Carroll's multiple scheme (tends to look like a 4-3 but uses personnel from the 3-4).

With Morris, I would expect our defense to be multiple, which is just fine.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let’s not forget more comp picks if he gets promoted after next year. The more I read about him post Tampa the more I like the hire.