Rams Hire Raheem Morris as new DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
"To have a successful defense, it starts with affecting the quarterback,” Morris said. “Whatever that means. A lot of people, when you say affect the quarterback, they automatically go right to sacks. You’ve got to get him off the spot.

“You got to get him with disguises. You have to get those guys to think a little bit. Get those guys out of their comfort zone. Outside of their box. So, all of that, part of that identity will have to show up.”

The Falcons’ identity last season was one of Jekyll and Hyde. Over the first eight games, they were abysmal. Over the last eight games, with Morris in charge, they were a top-10 elite unit in several key categories.

They went from the bottom of the league to top ten in takeaways (32nd to tied for second), sacks (32nd to tied for 10th), passes defenses (31st to tied for fourth), opponent drive-scoring efficiency (32nd to ninth) and opponent red-zone efficiency (31st to sixth).

Rams77

Starter
Well that was fast! Just 3 days ago Staley was our DC in Green Bay and now Raheem Morris is the guy.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Sean has earned the trust to hire whoever he sees fit. He's 2 for 2 so far with Wade and Staley. I'm excited for whoever it is. Morris makes sense with his familiarity and experience in the league.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Morris has worked on staffs with three current rams defensive position coaches. Namely Pleasent, Barry, and Evero. so hopefully there is some report.

That's awesome that they likely have rapport and I'm sure if we can keep him here that they are all professional about it. My concern has more to do if Pleasant is wanting to move up/on or if he starts feeling like he's not getting a fair shot

oldnotdead

Legend
Personally, I think cover 2 sucks big time. It's too easy on the QB. Cover two is predicated upon a DOMINANT 4 man rush. They don't get there and good WRs who run good routes eat it up. Just look at how Woods and Kupp feast on zone defenses. If Morris is smart he will retain the zone / man secondary scheme.

As far as personnel is concerned they most certainly have the personnel to run a 4-3. A hybrid 3-4 which was run by Wade is basically played like a 4-3 as a 4 man front running a 1 gap scheme. Both Lewis and Floyd are fits at DE. But Brockers is too slow and big unless he's permanently moved inside, but IMO he's gone next year.

Ebukam would be the perfect SAM in a 4-3 front, with Young as the MO and Reeder at MIKE. Hollins would be a fit as well as Rivers.

The bottom line is that the Rams have the personnel to run either a 3-4 hybrid or a 4-3 scheme defensively. If Morris becomes the DC I would expect the Rams to use their 2nd round pick on an edge rusher. I loved the Lewis pick, but he's simply been injury plagued. At this point he's really only a good rotational player as he hasn't proved he can stay healthy enough to be a starter. If Lewis can turn it around he would be a very good compliment to Floyd outside.

The other option would be to move Donald to RDE. With Robinson and Hoecht inside at 1 & 3 T respectively. Again it's not the base scheme it's how it's played that makes the difference. With Robinson and Hoecht inside that's a whole lot of beef to move if you want to run inside and with Floyd and AD outside that's a lot of speed off the edges.

This defense can be a top 10 unit under Morris if he uses it properly.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Basically ok with the Raheem hiring.

Back when were talking about Wade's future, I think there was a consensus that McVay was looking for a DC who could be more diversified. I don't think he would hire Raheem to run only one kind of defense and in any case, no one runs just one kind of defense in today's NFL.

People can talk cover 2. The Rams played basically half field cover 2 a lot -- i.e., Cover 6. Whatever. Throw in pattern matching, throw in an inverted Cover 2 and it's not just easy mode Madden anymore.

Defenses need to evolve and by "defenses" I mean the scheme plus how personnel are used in that scheme year after year. I mean, ever notice how Wade's defenses petered out with each team? Add to that Wade's basic X's and O's never really changed. So for the Rams defense to remain strong, it was going to have to change. Changing the DC is one way, I guess.

Ultimately, players matter. I guess in investing, they say bet the jockey, not the horse. For NFL defenses, I think you need to bet the horse, the players, not the jockey, the DC. I thought Fritz sorta sucked as Rams DC. Get him an HOF'er and he gets a ring in GB. Today's Rams have 2 HOF'ers. I'm betting the horse.

May change my mind tomorrow, but it's how I feel today.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Staley didn't run a pure 3-4 (I dunno of anyone that does)

We basically rushed 4 on most plays. We moved guys around and it was always a guess which LB would be among the four, but yeah.

However, it really amounts more to a 3-3-5 on most plays with 3 down DL, 1 rush LB and two cover/ILBs with 5 DBs (mix of CBs and Safeties)

As well, in game planning, there's a lot going on with zone, man and hybrid concepts happening, sometimes all at once.

What Morris did in Atlanta was amazing in that he took a group that was the worst in the NFL and almost instantly made them a top 10 unit. The only way to do that is scheme and maximizing player efficacy.

Rest assured with AD, Ramsey and this Defense, he's not gonna install some standard 4-3, expect guys to play out of position and then blame the players.

Those days are long gone...at least for us...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Biggest weakness of a pure cover 2 is the box. Those safeties are too deep so it will be light. But if you can stop the run still then you're gonna be kicking some ass lol.

That's why Tampa was so nasty for us back in 99. They got pressure and stuffed the run with that front, and had a loaded back end which is not friendly for the QBs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Biggest weakness of a pure cover 2 is the box. Those safeties are too deep so it will be light. But if you can stop the run still then you're gonna be kicking some ass lol.

That's why Tampa was so nasty for us back in 99. They got pressure and stuffed the run with that front, and had a loaded back end which is not friendly for the QBs.

The Rams would need some better LBs for that. They lack real hard hitting run stoppers with speed and range. We saw the Niners run against the Rams and with extra blocking even their receivers were dragging Ram defenders. If Morris can stop the Niners finally then its likely a good hire.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the threat to sign Williams are the good teams. The playoff teams. The late first round is where I think they won't mind giving up the pick for a guy of Williams' ability. :cool:(y)

That's a contract and a pick. I guess if this coming draft is lacking in cornerback talent then maybe, but its not like Williams is a lock down corner. I don't rate him as a first round tender. He's very good and had some nice ints but its not like he locked down the best receivers in the game.

I don't know if there's enough time for the memory of that last game to fade by the time we hit FA. He was the weak link in our secondary IMO he gone.

Hill was the weak link but his versatility and tackling ability is what kept him in the starting line up. Ramsey said that if not for Hill being able to play on the outside and slot, that he would never have been able to do what he did this year with position flexibility. The Rams will be hard pressed to find that, especially a player that can tackle as well as Hill does for a DB. I don't think he gets paid that much in FA. I also think the prospect of replacing both Hill and Williams is a bad one. Long is a step below both and if he's their best option then the defense will be in trouble and we can count on the Rams to be drafting some corners this year. There is a long enough list of needs already.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's a contract and a pick. I guess if this coming draft is lacking in cornerback talent then maybe, but its not like Williams is a lock down corner. I don't rate him as a first round tender. He's very good and had some nice ints but its not like he locked down the best receivers in the game.
Hopefully all 30 teams agree with you. :beer2: :cool:

TexasRam

Legend
Morris certainly earned a hire with the job he did in Atlanta turning around that defense.

I didn't follow the Falcons enough to know if they got back guys from injury or it was pure scheming or personnel changes that lead to the turnaround. But I do trust Mcvay has an inside on Morris and what he brings.

Going to be had to duplicate #1 defense but I do like the potential pressure the QB mindset Morris brings.

Staley was in my book a tab too conservative on bringing the extra pressure at times.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

This makes things make sense. Morris is pretty much an assistant HC.

Going to be had to duplicate #1 defense but I do like the potential pressure the QB mindset Morris brings.

The following quote caught my eye.... This is what I think the good game planners focus on.

[speaking of the QB] “You got to get him with disguises. You have to get those guys to think a little bit. Get those guys out of their comfort zone. Outside of their box. So, all of that, part of that identity will have to show up.”

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The Rams would need some better LBs for that. They lack real hard hitting run stoppers with speed and range. We saw the Niners run against the Rams and with extra blocking even their receivers were dragging Ram defenders. If Morris can stop the Niners finally then its likely a good hire.

At the very least, I would expect Morris to look to upgrade the LBs or at the very least deploy them differently

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I must be missing something. What is so special about Morris ?
His resume isn’t very impressive from what I see.

Raheem is The perfect Fit!!

It’s about The Person & what he brings in ALl Aspects of Rams Life.

What’s your take.Will Find it interesting.

1.I just go back to what he meant Young Black Coaches.
2.Experience around the league.
3.Comp Pick
4.Relationships
5.Culture he brings
6.Keeping GREAT D”Staff together.
7.Repesect of Players
8.McVays Trust

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This makes things make sense. Morris is pretty much an assistant HC.

The following quote caught my eye.... This is what I think the good game planners focus on.

[speaking of the QB] “You got to get him with disguises. You have to get those guys to think a little bit. Get those guys out of their comfort zone. Outside of their box. So, all of that, part of that identity will have to show up.”

Makes sense? Just the Fact he was available is unbelievable.I can’t believe this Staff is still in place.

Staley is good but The Rams culture here is better with Raheem Morris imo