Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
You don’t buy a Mercedes and put Chaoyang tires on it. The Rams just bought their Mercedes in Stafford. Put some decent tires on that Mercedes or it’s gonna end up in a ditch.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I get the sense McVay knows better than we do how well Blythe has handled his assignments.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get the sense McVay knows better than we do how well Blythe has handled his assignments.

Yeah, I guess when he misses DTs frequently or tries to block them and gets shoved aside letting them collapse the middle of the pocket that's its all by design.

It could just be that he said he values him because AR this pointed they aren't sure if they can afford to upgrade the Center spot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You don’t buy a Mercedes and put Chaoyang tires on it. The Rams just bought their Mercedes in Stafford. Put some decent tires on that Mercedes or it’s gonna end up in a ditch.

DANG Bro” just DANG!!!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I guess when he misses DTs frequently or tries to block them and gets shoved aside letting them collapse the middle of the pocket that's its all by design.

It could just be that he said he values him because AR this pointed they aren't sure if they can afford to upgrade the Center spot.

Yeah, he's great because we're stuck with him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Afternoon D41.....was that pronouncement in the early 2019 season? Might a two-year time period 2021 make a difference in Ol'ers abilities?

In 2021 the Rams have two different experienced OG's starting next to whoever the center is?

Is center Allen's best-fit NFL position? Could Kromer have been wrong? Here was wrong about Noteboom two seasons in a row. Allen's best position in college was LG. Might be Allen is better suited for the Swing OG Reserve Position in this new 2021 season with a new OL coach & assistant.

It's sure going to be fun watching how all this plays out again. The fact is Brian Allen is signed & he has been here going in his 4th season. on the flip side, Blythe is not under contract & is not a Ram. I am really ready to move on from Austin Blythe.

Ya, lets hope he's added some good junk in the trunk. For me personally I prefer our IOL to be over 310. Corey Linsley despite his listed weight gets the job done at a high level. So for me, I want a proven OC since we have a below average grade at drafting OL in general. Maybe I'm bias to smaller OL (same w/ WRs to be honest). So for the 2021-2022 season and were in a win now mode I just prefer to find the scratch and add a stud like Linsley for Stafford.

Side note I wonder if moving on from Kromer to Carberry has something to do with how possibly Kromer input on picking OL has turned out to be poor and he's bring in a guy he knows can evaluate talent better? Something to consider to monitor moving forward.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ya, lets hope he's added some good junk in the trunk. For me personally I prefer our IOL to be over 310. Corey Linsley despite his listed weight gets the job done at a high level. So for me, I want a proven OC since we have a below average grade at drafting OL in general. Maybe I'm bias to smaller OL (same w/ WRs to be honest). So for the 2021-2022 season and were in a win now mode I just prefer to find the scratch and add a stud like Linsley for Stafford.

Side note I wonder if moving on from Kromer to Carberry has something to do with how possibly Kromer input on picking OL has turned out to be poor and he's bring in a guy he knows can evaluate talent better? Something to consider to monitor moving forward.

I just read an article that said 6’ to 6’-2” receiver in the NFL is the norm. It listed the top receivers and almost every one fell into that range. It’s more rare for taller receivers to have great route running skills.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

There is not going to be much of a size difference between Allen & Blythe. Blythe is over 6-2 Allen is under 6-2. Blythe is listed @ around 297 but in truth he runs much lighter. Allen is a very solid 305lbs.

When ROD members focus on the better play @ OC when Blythe replaced Allen & that sealed the deal for most. I would have hoped that many would have taken the time to do a preliminary check into the past of these two OL'ers.

Blythe played & was active playing for the Colts during the regular season his rookie season & did start a gm @ RT in 2016, Allen was a Junior in college starting @ LG.

In 2017 Blythe was a Ram & played in all 16 gms as the Swing interior OL'er & even started a game for the center Sullivan. Blythe also saw action in the wild card gm, Allen was a Senior in College starting @ first @ LG then concluding his senior season @ center.

Quick review before Brian Allen was drafted in 2018 Draft, Blythe had two years of NFL experience on Allen, with starts in 2016 & 2017 before Allen was drafted. In 2018 Blythe started all 16 gms @ RG started the playoff games & started in a SuperBowl while Allen never saw any regular or post-season action.

In 2019 Kromer selected Allen starter @ center. The results were as would be expected it was bad. To make it worse Allen suffered a serious knee injury ...then Blythe comes in & the Rams are rescued. Blythe gets a new contract.

There was a ton of experience that Blythe had over Allen those 3 yrs before Allen ever saw the field.........and it just irritates :mad: me that we here are this past year already to post & write a Ram player Brian Allen to disappear from the roster while a non-Ram Blythe is getting all this praise coming out of the mouths of the Ram Organization @ this time.:sick:

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
........and it just irritates :mad: me that we here are already to write & post a Ram player Brian Allen to disappear while a non-Ram Blythe is getting all this praise coming out of the mouths of the Ram Organization @ this time.

The Rams tend to praise all players on their payroll, I wouldn't read too much into this. I'd guess that McVay and others are just whitewashing questions the media are putting forward to them. We fans and the media want answers, but all we're likely to receive in return is smokescreens and vague coach speak ...
jmo.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
If will be interesting to see how the coaching staff view our OL this off season. Last off season we the fans have zero info to go on, if players looked improved or not. Looking forward to seeing if we can take another step and make a longer playoff run.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a chance to actual play any pre season(s) games this year?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If will be interesting to see how the coaching staff view our OL this off season. Last off season we the fans have zero info to go on, if players looked improved or not. Looking forward to seeing if we can take another step and make a longer playoff run.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a chance to actual play any pre season(s) games this year?

Sure, I think there is a good 'chance' so long as all the coaches/players are vaccinated prior to the opening of camp.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I wonder if they value him like i value haemorrhoids?

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i was watching a little bit of the titans vs texans game ( by accident ) and i noticed that both centers seldom took on a d line man. mostly they were the ones who helped out other o line men. i remember watching one rams game where corbett would almost always help havenstien even though he was getting an outside rush witch corbett could not help on. and blythe was left to take on a rusher with no help. just wondering if where the center has to snap the ball if he isn't a half count behind and needs help

dang

Legend
Let’s assume Blythe is an average starting center. There is no shame in that and he will continue to work in the NFL. However If you graded the Rams line as follows:
Whit. B+
Corbett. C+
Blythe. C
Edwards B
Hav. B
Which position do you upgrade? IMO bring in a B+ center and the entire IOL gets significantly better. Please challenge my ratings and logic as I need to see something improved on the Rams OL this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let’s assume Blythe is an average starting center. There is no shame in that and he will continue to work in the NFL. However If you graded the Rams line as follows:
Whit. B+
Corbett. C+
Blythe. C
Edwards B
Hav. B
Which position do you upgrade? IMO bring in a B+ center and the entire IOL gets significantly better. Please challenge my ratings and logic as I need to see something improved on the Rams OL this year.
I like Noteboom & Evans both as depth.Don’t think you miss any of the starting 4. Brian Allen is the big question Mark & is Havienstien expandable. He is not good countaining the edge,but Stafford might have better vision & feel for the rush .
I won’t challenge any direction this off season. Will see how things start to shape out in 30 days.The draft needs will shape up itself.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m not providing a link since it’s subscription only, but Jourdan Rodrigue of the Athletic was asked about Blythe in a Q&A.

She said that Center is a priority for the Rams this offseason. And McVay did speak highly of Blythe recently. However Blythe is a Kromer guy and with coaching changes come personnel changes.

So I still have hope of an upgrade

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
There are a few good centers that could/should be available when we draft at 57 or even farther back with a trade down the board. Bama kid (injury), Creed from Oklahoma and Myers Ohio state to name some. Eventually we need to draft a guy.

But centers sure seem to be guys that don’t produce much that first year. So do we draft OC at 57 for the next year (with one year gap stop like Mack)? Or do we go with edge (lb etc) for immediate usage this year that’s also a need. Then draft development OC later in draft.

I can’t wait to see what else our FO has in store this off-season. I’m pretty sure it’ll be something we don’t see coming.