Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He was very good @ starting LG & he was good @ RG too in college had zero issues on the power side or the tech side. He was a complete OG for Michigan.

Allen's main issues in his 2nd season being named the starter...first were total lack of regular game experience (he had zero) & then his inability to get his hands up fast enough after his snaps on the defender. He was not in the lineup long enough to master this.

Another thing here you got to remind yourself Allen only finished 5 gms as a starter back in 2019 plus the fact he had another totally inexperienced starter next to him called Noteboom. By now two seasons later the world knows Noteboom is not good @ playing LG. That experiment is dead.

On Allen's right side he had Blythe. Kromer put Allen in this situation.....seems to me to fail as a first-time starter. Allen has not played in a regular-season game since game 5 the early 2019 season we are now well into 2021.

It is just me here in ROD forum saying not to be so quick to kick Allen down to WWC level just yet. But it is nice to be in a large group where everyone agrees.

I am all for Allen be The Rams starting Center.If The Rams bring Austin Blythe back that tells me enough about Brian Allen’s Ram career. Will see him in the Preseason as probably both? Then we will both know more as well.
I have seen all your stats & Bonifay’d I always love your passion.I wish every Ram was a HOF.There are certain players that have to prove it to me.
I like Brian Allen as a Center & that is it.He never got to play in 2020. He was the first to get COVID,not the last.
Really like to challenge this one with you.We both have not been WRONG yet. — cheers & wish you a most excellent weekend.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I definitely value Blythe too, as a backup/rotational interior lineman.

agree If you have a huge salary cap available.If he comes back it is as a starter,so you can value him a lot on maybe another team.Even then it’s probably as a starter.
How many year contract ? He won’t be looking for another 1 year deal Imo. The Rams need to clear Cap Space before anything else.

What Ram players redo there contracts?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams certainly value him. Just as a backup which fits his play.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
My gut feeling is Allen isn't a starting caliber centre. He gets pushed back into the QB way to often imho. We need an up grade C and resign Blythe as the game day backup Interior OL.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Oh please no. Whatever Blythe's ability in making line calls, he's a liability when it comes to actually blocking. We need somebody new.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My gut feeling is Allen isn't a starting caliber centre. He gets pushed back into the QB way to often imho. We need an up grade C and resign Blythe as the game day backup Interior OL.
Afternoon D41.....was that pronouncement in the early 2019 season? Might a two-year time period 2021 make a difference in Ol'ers abilities?

In 2021 the Rams have two different experienced OG's starting next to whoever the center is?

Is center Allen's best-fit NFL position? Could Kromer have been wrong? Here was wrong about Noteboom two seasons in a row. Allen's best position in college was LG. Might be Allen is better suited for the Swing OG Reserve Position in this new 2021 season with a new OL coach & assistant.

It's sure going to be fun watching how all this plays out again. The fact is Brian Allen is signed & he has been here going in his 4th season. on the flip side, Blythe is not under contract & is not a Ram. I am really ready to move on from Austin Blythe.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My biggest disappointment will be if they cannot upgrade the Center position. Blythe not good despite his PFF grade. We’ve all seen it. It’s the number one need on offense imo. Another year of Blythe will be very discouraging.
THIS

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not me. At least not without a helluva backup plan.

Corbett, a college OT, was projected by some to play center in the NFL, but he hasn't done it yet. And years ago I read that he struggled in the past when tried (Cleveland). I've also read that Warford's pass blocking deteriorated significantly during his final season of play.

You keep repeating this, and yes he was a college OT whose HC at Cleveland wanted him to play as an OT in the NFL while so many others projected Corbett as a future C or OG. That 2018 Cleveland HC (Hue Jackson) was fired before even finishing the season. Corbett received some practice time at OG and C, but the team already had a well established interior OL with Bitonio at LG, Tretter at C, and Zeitler at RG, the problems were at OT. I don't care whether you want to credit Rams coaching or Corbett himself, but somehow upon arriving mid-season 2019 to the Rams, he magically transformed himself into an efficient starting LG without having ever taken an NFL regular game snap at the position. The following season (2020) he moved over and started at RG, again without ever playing that spot in the NFL, and i'd say that most observers preferred what they witnessed out of Corbett than what they had seen from Blythe his previous seasons at RG. No one knows what Corbett might do as a Center, just like no one knew what he could do as an OG, but if he gets an opportunity, I dare say it will be an improvement over what we're used to. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EE5C25DF-799A-4EAA-927D-BD0D09154693.jpeg

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Afternoon D41.....was that pronouncement in the early 2019 season? Might a two-year time period 2021 make a difference in Ol'ers abilities?

In 2021 the Rams have two different experienced OG's starting next to whoever the center is?

Is center Allen's best-fit NFL position? Could Kromer have been wrong? Here was wrong about Noteboom two seasons in a row. Allen's best position in college was LG. Might be Allen is better suited for the Swing OG Reserve Position in this new 2021 season with a new OL coach & assistant.

It's sure going to be fun watching how all this plays out again. The fact is Brian Allen is signed & he has been here going in his 4th season. on the flip side, Blythe is not under contract & is not a Ram. I am really ready to move on from Austin Blythe.
AMEN BROTHER! That is on Blythe

MachS

Hall of Fame
One of the reasons we shouldn't overspend on WR in free agency is so we can upgrade on the interior OL. After watching the film from the last few seasons it's hard to believe McVay wouldn't realize we need to upgrade at center. Especially when Brian Allen seems to be a whiff of a draft pick.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One of the reasons we shouldn't overspend on WR in free agency is so we can upgrade on the interior OL. After watching the film from the last few seasons it's hard to believe McVay wouldn't realize we need to upgrade at center. Especially when Brian Allen seems to be a whiff of a draft pick.

Where did The Rams finish in offense last season ?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I love the interior OL discussion in this thread and I’ll say this.

Kromer is gone and Carberry is in as OL coach. There’s a reason for this. I think McVay wants to go in a different direction with OL blocking schemes. He wants better pass pro to once again allow deep drops and deep throws from his new QB And he figured he was gonna have to replace Kromer in order to get them.

All these coaching changes on the OL are like handwriting on the wall. There will be new faces on this starting OL in ‘21. Yeah, the changes could well go beyond just C. Hav is no lock to be our opening day starter at RT, for example. Think outside the box on this starting OL possibilities, y’all.

It’s possible that Whit is the only lock to be opening day starter at his same position as last year. There, I said it. Not guaranteeing it, mind you, just offering it as a possibility.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I am hoping Stafford’s experience and pocket presence helps the Rams O-Line.

If the OL is average in pass protection, I hope Stafford makes it look good. If it’s good, I hope he makes it look very good. If it’s very good, I hope Stafford makes it look great.
Stafford is definitely better than Goff behind a subpar line.
Hes shifty and smart.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I am hoping Stafford’s experience and pocket presence helps the Rams O-Line.

If the OL is average in pass protection, I hope Stafford makes it look good. If it’s good, I hope he makes it look very good. If it’s very good, I hope Stafford makes it look great.

That's a helluva lotta hope. I hope the McVay love for Blythe is a goodbye letter of recommendation. I hope we acquire a real center. In the draft or free agency.