Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are a few good centers that could/should be available when we draft at 57 or even farther back with a trade down the board. Bama kid (injury), Creed from Oklahoma and Myers Ohio state to name some. Eventually we need to draft a guy.

But centers sure seem to be guys that don’t produce much that first year. So do we draft OC at 57 for the next year (with one year gap stop like Mack)? Or do we go with edge (lb etc) for immediate usage this year that’s also a need. Then draft development OC later in draft.

I can’t wait to see what else our FO has in store this off-season. I’m pretty sure it’ll be something we don’t see coming.

Who knows, maybe Jamal Demby becomes The Rams center.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My bad. Guess I should have been more specific. Didn't know how to spell it and was too lazy to look it up
That’s ok. Just going for a laugh. I have my fingers crossed with Anchrum.

Similar to my 2018 hope with Joseph-Day. Both were essentially red-shirted as late-round rookies. Kept on the 53 but rarely saw the field. Joseph-Day was rarely even dressed on game day in 2018, while Anchrum was usually active. Both had a body thickness that looked like an NFL lineman.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Anyone here besides me and Bonifay think Allen would play better between Edwards and Corbett instead of Noteboom and Blythe?

He was too weak at pass blocking and he couldn't go into space and run block at the same time. Unless blocking air while his assignment runs toward the ball carrier and makes the play is what was supposed to happen. Blythe can do the latter somewhat affect lively. He just struggles with the pass blocking.

Allen would have to have improved exponentially.

I've heard this from Jordan R. and another Rams reporter. They expect the Rams to draft at least three offensive linemen this year. I think they know/believe that the Carberry blocking scheme may require some different types. Plus with Kromer going any Kromer specific people may be going with him.

Its not too farfetched and at the very least, a Center and OLT of the future are likely, especially considering the Rams have reportedly liked some centers in recent drafts. So that would leave one more.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But centers sure seem to be guys that don’t produce much that first year.

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine the Rams thinking rookie center for a SB run.

They may draft one, but if not Blythe... my guess we add a FA center for 2021.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

I concur, but to do so, do we need to trade or cut someone to make room? Is Whitworth safe, for instance? Noteboom played well, didn’t he? Or did I imagine that?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I would not be comfortable with day 2 rookie starting at center if we are a legit contender. I would prefer drafting one with the idea he sits a year behind a vet center that we sign to a one year deal. It seems like McVay values Blythe more than the fans do. But that could be coach speak.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would not be comfortable with day 2 rookie starting at center if we are a legit contender. I would prefer drafting one with the idea he sits a year behind a vet center that we sign to a one year deal. It seems like McVay values Blythe more than the fans do. But that could be coach speak.
Rams have highly experienced OT's but the OG's are much less so. Corbett will enter his 4th season & 3rd season as an expected starter @ RG. Edwards is entering his 3rd season with two seasons as a Ram starting OG. A first season rookie center would still be something not normally seen in the NFL for a team that has SB or Bust stamped all over it. I just do not see it myself.

I certainly do expect to see Snead draft a center with the plan to have him our future starting center ASAP. But presently this team stands to have at least two centers (Shelton/Allen ) that have 3 NFL seasons under their belts you would presume that a 1st season OC to be far behind those two in skills & abilities when on the field of play.
...... do we need to trade or cut someone to make room? Is Whitworth safe, for instance? Noteboom played well, didn’t he? Or did I imagine that?
I would say that AW is soundly safe due to his surprising ability to come back so quickly from the mid-seasons serious knee injury to play in two playoff games & the fact his current contract that AW & the Rams signed less than a year ago has a near $6 million in Dead Cap involved if he is released!

A big YES on the question that the Rams need to cut a Ram I would add they need to cut too big Ram contracts (Brockers first then Havenstein) in order to be involved in any UFA action or trade. Not so sure it would be worth that.

We saw two Noteboom's last season #1-starting & playing poorly @ the LG post @ the beginning of the season. #2- after Noteboom returned from a calf injury that kept him out for over a month, I saw a very good starting young LT. Kromer saw that too & never moved Noteboom back to LG again kept him as the back up to AW @ LT. The way I see it the Rams have 2 starting caliber LT's in Noteboom & AW with both of them able to start @ RT if needed. I also see that if RT Havenstien is traded or a center or draft pick the Rams have 3 or more good RT prospects ..(One already started a half-season in his rookie year @ RT).
Yeah, it’s hard to imagine the Rams thinking rookie center for a SB run.They may draft one, but if not Blythe... my guess we add a FA center for 2021.
You left out one ........finding a starting center from their existing roster.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams have highly experienced OT's but the OG's are much less so. Corbett will enter his 4th season & 3rd season as an expected starter @ RG. Edwards is entering his 3rd season with two seasons as a Ram starting OG. A first season rookie center would still be something not normally seen in the NFL for a team that has SB or Bust stamped all over it. I just do not see it myself.

I certainly do expect to see Snead draft a center with the plan to have him our future starting center ASAP. But presently this team stands to have at least two centers (Shelton/Allen ) that have 3 NFL seasons under their belts you would presume that a 1st season OC to be far behind those two in skills & abilities when on the field of play.
I would say that AW is soundly safe due to his surprising ability to come back so quickly from the mid-seasons serious knee injury to play in two playoff games & the fact his current contract that AW & the Rams signed less than a year ago has a near $6 million in Dead Cap involved if he is released!

A big YES on the question that the Rams need to cut a Ram I would add they need to cut too big Ram contracts (Brockers first then Havenstein) in order to be involved in any UFA action or trade. Not so sure it would be worth that.

We saw two Noteboom's last season #1-starting & playing poorly @ the LG post @ the beginning of the season. #2- after Noteboom returned from a calf injury that kept him out for over a month, I saw a very good starting young LT. Kromer saw that too & never moved Noteboom back to LG again kept him as the back up to AW @ LT. The way I see it the Rams have 2 starting caliber LT's in Noteboom & AW with both of them able to start @ RT if needed. I also see that if RT Havenstien is traded or a center or draft pick the Rams have 3 or more good RT prospects ..(One already started a half-season in his rookie year @ RT).
You left out one ........finding a starting center from their existing roster.

Bonifay’d I’d say you LOST your Mind if you think Andrew Whitworth or Joe Noteboom would be put at RT.
There is a New OC coming in so you have that on your side,but then again the same can be said about Joe Noteboom at LG ? I’m not going to predict anything yet except 1 thing right now though.

Austin Blythe will be resigned,but only if he doesn’t get to much in the open market? It will have to be for more than 1 season.

Just to add Andrew Whitworth is going to restructure his contract guaranteed.

dang

Legend
The Rams know what they have with Blythe. At best he is a technically sound, average NFL center. At worst he a center that simply cannot compete with the size or strength of NFL DL. The Rams deserve better and more importantly need better.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
No one mentions Evans, who I believe will be starting this year. Coleman can easily replace Blythe.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I concur, but to do so, do we need to trade or cut someone to make room? Is Whitworth safe, for instance? Noteboom played well, didn’t he? Or did I imagine that?

He was decent as a pass blocker and lousy as a run blocker. I really don’t think that cuts the mustard at Left tackle on a team that want to run the ball.

My guess is they sign one and draft one. They have looked at Centers in the draft for the last three years. They just have not been able to get the ones they wanted. Some rookie centers have started. It’s not as rare as people think. But it’s not likely that they’d go into the draft with Shelton as the Center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay I’d say you LOST your Mind if you think Andrew Whitworth or Joe Noteboom would be put at RT.
There is a New OC coming in so you have that on your side, but then again the same can be said about Joe Noteboom at LG ? I’m not going to predict anything yet except 1 thing right now though.

Austin Blythe will be resigned, but only if he doesn’t get too much in the open market? It will have to be for more than 1 season.

Just to add Andrew Whitworth is going to restructure his contract guaranteed.
I lost my mind many decades ago when I was in 6th grade living in Lompoc CA to the Rams.

So you don't believe that Noteboom has the skills & talent to play RT but does @ LT & LG? You & I know the demands @ LT are higher than @ RT. Noteboom has played RT for the Rams back in the 2018 pre season. He did very well. Don't sell Noteboom so short on his abilities to play any OT post!

If the Rams spend salary cap $$$ they do not have to retain a UFA who has demonstrated to be the biggest problem player in the Ram offense? Good luck with how that turns out again.
The Rams know what they have with Blythe. At best he is a technically sound, average NFL center. At worst he a center that simply cannot compete with the size or strength of NFL DL. The Rams deserve better and more importantly need better.
After going through the QB for QB trade .....all the mind-blowing loss of future draft picks & the major investment of team funds invested in Goff in order to get better improvement in the offense & the Rams to turn around resign & reinvest $$$ in a center that would diminish all the above??? Is Insane!