Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Not trying to be a smart ass but if you're going by his presser and all the compliments he threw Blythe's way, then sure, he wants him back. But going by that criteria, he also wants Goff. :biggrin:
I don't think your a donkey wearing glasses but if you were, I'd be impressed that you were able to get glasses on with no hands, just saying :biggrin:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
IMO, the Center position is extremely important and Blythe has been an asset with his line calls & understanding the schemes, however, he's limited in strength and that shows up when there is a big ugly right in front of his face.

I strongly believe the Rams need an upgrade, somebody just bigger, but maybe the plan is to bring back Blythe and add someone like Drew Dalman (Stanford) to learn from Blythe.
Agree about Blythe’s struggles with power rushers up the middle but wouldn’t Goff’s issues with pressure, and limited mobility, and questionable pocket presence all highlight Blythe’s weakness?

If Stafford has a little more pocket mobility and presence, that could mitigate Blythe’s struggles against power rushers.

Lots of posters think Corey Linsley would solve all the center and O-Line problems; and I think he’s a quality player but I have to also think that Rodgers’ outstanding mobility, pocket presence and ability to accurately throw off balance all mitigated pressure up-the-middle; and make the Packers’ interior OL look better.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Agree about Blythe’s struggles with power rushers up the middle but wouldn’t Goff’s issues with pressure, and limited mobility, and questionable pocket presence all highlight Blythe’s weakness?

If Stafford has a little more pocket mobility and presence, that could mitigate Blythe’s struggles against power rushers.

Lots of posters think Corey Linsley would solve all the center and O-Line problems; and I think he’s a quality player but I have to also think that Rodgers’ outstanding mobility, pocket presence and ability to accurately throw off balance all mitigated pressure up-the-middle; and make the Packers’ interior OL look better.
I think the Packers oline looked good, because they are that good.
Those guys are beasts.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not trying to be a smart ass but if you're going by his presser and all the compliments he threw Blythe's way, then sure, he wants him back. But going by that criteria, he also wants Goff. :biggrin:
Like I said, I was only half listening, and McVay spoke a lot about Goff but was asked about him a lot too.

Was he asked about specific free agents like Blythe, Floyd, Johnson, Everett and Reynolds? I really don’t know (only half listening). He spoke specifically about Blythe. Did he speak similarly about the other pending free agents?

And I don’t believe you are a ‘smart ass’. I don’t know that you are ‘smart’.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would not call Lucas Patrick or Rick Wagner ‘beasts’. In fact, the Packers released Wagner a few days ago.
As a whole, that oline last year gave Rodgers a good pocket and a lot of time in it.

But I get what your saying about Rogers. He is special.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
When asked about the C position status McVay praised Blythe, then added, quote, "A lot of things to navigate". to me, that's not exactly saying he wants Blythe back as his starting C, sounds more like leaving the door open for an upgrade.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not me. At least not without a helluva backup plan.

Corbett, a college OT, was projected by some to play center in the NFL, but he hasn't done it yet. And years ago I read that he struggled in the past when tried (Cleveland). I've also read that Warford's pass blocking deteriorated significantly during his final season of play.

EXACTLY 1,000% agree !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't see how trading Havenstein would make our line stronger, which is what we need to do.

Unless they looked at the tape and think Evans can do just as good of a job.
And that would mean they would have to pick up a veteran Center which could be just as expensive because they would probably leave Corbett right where he's at, (RG).
I don't know if the savings would be worth it.

Though that scenario would leave Noteboom as the swing tackle.

With Noteboom, Whitworth, Havenstein and Edwards, we do seem to have 4 proven tackles when we only need three.

One has to wonder if the philosophy of improving the line is what led to Kromer leaving.

He may have been very proud of the offensive line he had built and didn't really want to change it.

Well Brewer is coming off the Covid list. Evans proved he could play RT.Noteboom was the starting LG to start both 2019 &2020.

Havenstien could(should)be better in 2021.The question is at what cost? He seems to make the most sense to trade for CAP purposes..

Kromer ? It was time to move on for both parties. Andy Dicis gone as well.Clean slate & Thomas gets the run game coordinator spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams "Definitely" Value Austin Blythe (profootballrumors.com)

February 26th, 2021
1614362527341.png

In a few weeks, Austin Blythe will be eligible for free agency. Ideally, Rams head coach Sean McVay would like to
prevent that from happening.

He did a great job and he’s definitely somebody that we appreciate, we value,” McVay said (via USA Today). “I think there’s going to be a lot of things that we’ve got to really navigate through as we’re trying to figure out the best way to put our team together as we figure out what is that cap? What does it look like specific to some of the things that we’re in the midst of trying to figure out? You even talk about restructuring, some of the guys that have some of those bigger deals and where we can find some of that money.”

Blythe raised his stock in 2019 as he took over for Brian Allen. The Rams re-upped him on one-year deal and he performed as a solid starter throughout the year. Centers like Corey Linsley may draw more attention on the open market, but there would be plenty of suitors for Blythe. Last year, he earned a score of 69.3 from Pro Football Focus, positioning him as the ninth-best center in the NFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not me. At least not without a helluva backup plan.

Corbett, a college OT, was projected by some to play center in the NFL, but he hasn't done it yet. And years ago I read that he struggled in the past when tried (Cleveland). I've also read that Warford's pass blocking deteriorated significantly during his final season of play.

Agreed. I loved Warfotd coming out of college. He was one of my favorite prospects but I think he only adds run blocking at this point. That’s always been his strength.

I’ve seen enough of Corbett to think he’s only an average guard. How is he going to excel as a center? Move an average guard to Center and you have an average center. He could be below average considering, like Warford, his forte is run blocking.

I certainly hope they have a better plan than that. Snapping the ball and still getting up to complete your blocks is more difficult than playing guard.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

February 26th, 2021
View attachment 43982

In a few weeks, Austin Blythe will be eligible for free agency. Ideally, Rams head coach Sean McVay would like to

He did a great job and he’s definitely somebody that we appreciate, we value,” McVay said (via USA Today). “I think there’s going to be a lot of things that we’ve got to really navigate through as we’re trying to figure out the best way to put our team together as we figure out what is that cap? What does it look like specific to some of the things that we’re in the midst of trying to figure out? You even talk about restructuring, some of the guys that have some of those bigger deals and where we can find some of that money.”

Blythe raised his stock in 2019 as he took over for Brian Allen. The Rams re-upped him on one-year deal and he performed as a solid starter throughout the year. Centers like Corey Linsley may draw more attention on the open market, but there would be plenty of suitors for Blythe. Last year, he earned a score of 69.3 from Pro Football Focus, positioning him as the ninth-best center in the NFL.

My biggest disappointment will be if they cannot upgrade the Center position. Blythe not good despite his PFF grade. We’ve all seen it. It’s the number one need on offense imo. Another year of Blythe will be very discouraging.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, there was a report, I wish I had time to find that they've put Havenstein on the trade block. It seems like they like Anchrum and he would be the heir apparent to RT and not Evans.

I know we don't like it but I'm not gonna let my emotions tell my ears what they hear. And that's, for whatever reason, that the Rams keep loving Blythe (and this goes back years!). Maybe it's just as simple as the guy's smart and assignment sound. Sure sounds like they want him back.

My best prediction for this next year: Whit-Edwards-Blythe-Corbett-Anchrum. I think it's 50/50 we'll see a guard/center taken early in the draft. I suspect (with very little evidence!) that they'll look for a more comprehensive training camp than what we had in 2020 to goose the ability and cohesiveness of the unit along to see improvement next year.

I also think (again, pure speculation!) that another reason they may have parted ways with Kromer is that they know they're staying pretty pat with the guys they have on the Oline and they want someone new to come in to goose the guys further than where they are. A new voice and new techniques that may push Notebroom, Edwards, Crobett, Evans, etc... to a slightly higher level of execution.

Right now, those guys are what they are which is pretty decent, maybe someone else can take them to the next level.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

February 26th, 2021
View attachment 43982

I laugh at all the Haters.Still think his Cap number will be to high ? Looking at FA value surprised me.
Then again,what is Allen’s number.How was he the starting center in 2019?Blythe showed he was a NFL player being the RG in SuperBowl.He is a true center,but was able to cross-train.

—Bonifay’d we disagree with Brian Allen being a GUARD.I hope we never find out the answer by him having to have to play.Maybe in preseason though?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
As a whole, that oline last year gave Rodgers a good pocket and a lot of time in it.

But I get what your saying about Rogers. He is special.
I am hoping Stafford’s experience and pocket presence helps the Rams O-Line.

If the OL is average in pass protection, I hope Stafford makes it look good. If it’s good, I hope he makes it look very good. If it’s very good, I hope Stafford makes it look great.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, there was a report, I wish I had time to find that they've put Havenstein on the trade block. It seems like they like Anchrum and he would be the heir apparent to RT and not Evans.

I know we don't like it but I'm not gonna let my emotions tell my ears what they hear. And that's, for whatever reason, that the Rams keep loving Blythe (and this goes back years!). Maybe it's just as simple as the guy's smart and assignment sound. Sure sounds like they want him back.

My best prediction for this next year: Whit-Edwards-Blythe-Corbett-Anchrum. I think it's 50/50 we'll see a guard/center taken early in the draft. I suspect (with very little evidence!) that they'll look for a more comprehensive training camp than what we had in 2020 to goose the ability and cohesiveness of the unit along to see improvement next year.

I also think (again, pure speculation!) that another reason they may have parted ways with Kromer is that they know they're staying pretty pat with the guys they have on the Oline and they want someone new to come in to goose the guys further than where they are. A new voice and new techniques that may push Notebroom, Edwards, Crobett, Evans, etc... to a slightly higher level of execution.

Right now, those guys are what they are which is pretty decent, maybe someone else can take them to the next level.

Well like I’ve said. All Along. The Rams offensive line has good depth.Blythe is a FA.Havenstien has a big cap number. The puzzle is not hard to solve when you only have so few pieces.
Brian Allen is a key piece to even know if he fits?Right now I thought & think he was a Horrible draft pick.Starting Blythe at RG & Noteboom at LG surprised me.Not playing them in preseason even more so.Edwards & Evans were both ONLY 22 & Brewer as well. Demby is still a Ram.
—McSnead trading back to have 3 7th rd picks. Sloman & Johnston both being drafted ahead of Anchrum.I liked & like him,but not so sure whatever article you read is All that True ?? Will see how things playout.

My point is in the preseason The Rams offensive line depth will be pretty Freaking Good.Noteboom as the starting LT?? Evans anywhere.Brewer hungry to get back to The NFL. Demby after 4 seasons ? Just saying. Ram Fans can say what they want.All I want to see is the development of Ram Players. Experience matters

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am hoping Stafford’s experience and pocket presence helps the Rams O-Line.

If the OL is average in pass protection, I hope Stafford makes it look good. If it’s good, I hope he makes it look very good. If it’s very good, I hope Stafford makes it look great.

Look a Cam Akers at 22/23 years old & his 100 plus yard games. Go back to Detroit Lions running game after Barry Sanders left.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i have been one that really wanted to get rid of blythe but maybe where he has to snap the ball that gets him behind and so should have help from one guard or the other. as i remember the o line got better when he replaced allen. not saying i know anything about o line play but it is possible that a change in coaching may help him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I laugh at all the Haters.Still think his Cap number will be to high ? Looking at FA value surprised me.
Then again,what is Allen’s number.How was he the starting center in 2019?Blythe showed he was a NFL player being the RG in SuperBowl.He is a true center,but was able to cross-train.

—Bonifay’d we disagree with Brian Allen being a GUARD.I hope we never find out the answer by him having to have to play.Maybe in preseason though?
He was very good @ starting LG & he was good @ RG too in college had zero issues on the power side or the tech side. He was a complete OG for Michigan.

Allen's main issues in his 2nd season being named the starter...first were total lack of regular game experience (he had zero) & then his inability to get his hands up fast enough after his snaps on the defender. He was not in the lineup long enough to master this.

Another thing here you got to remind yourself Allen only finished 9 gms as a starter back in 2019 plus the fact he had another totally inexperienced starter next to him called Noteboom. By now two seasons later the world knows OT Noteboom is not good @ playing LG. That experiment is certainly dead.

Back initially in the 2019 season Allen's right side he had Blythe. Has everyone forgotten the major boost the Rams got when Blythe was replaced by rookie 5th round draft pick David Edwards @ the RG post?

After Kromer replaced LG Noteboom & RG Blythe with Corbett & Edwards the interior OL began to increase its effectiveness. Allen never got to play with Corbett or Edwards. Allen has not played in a regular-season game since game 9 the early 2019 season due to a more severe knee injury that originally reported plus a serious Covid 19 event early in March of 2020 that affected his rehabbing event.

I realize that I am the only member here in ROD forum saying not to be so quick to kick Allen down to WWC level just yet.

Last edited: