Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like Hav might be on the trade block? Odds are he won't be a Ram next year

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
If and likely C Weston Richburg is released/cap casualty I'd like for us to show some interest. Age 30/ past injuries aside he would be our John Sullivan. We need that anchor again!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
They don't have to let him go if they don't want to. And OL coaches once they are in place generally aren't going to be allowed to move based on a job title upgrade. Not if they're good at what they do at least.

I think they were pretty tight Den. There was an article out around the time we hired McVay where it covered a moment in McVay's office where Callahan and him were rapid firing run game ideas and it went on about how they brainstorm together.

I'm surprised McVay didn't make this move last year when BC was available. Pretty sure I said as much too. This is a bit of an outlier IMO something must have happened where they came to an impasse.
Regarding that first part, Offensive and Defensive Coordinator were added to the list of positions upgrades teams can't say no to. You can deny lateral OC/DC moves like we did with O'Connell, but not an upgrade like from O line coach to OC.

So it wouldn't really matter whether or not Cleveland said no way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Regarding that first part, Offensive and Defensive Coordinator were added to the list of positions upgrades teams can't say no to. You can deny lateral OC/DC moves like we did with O'Connell, but not an upgrade like from O line coach to OC.

So it wouldn't really matter whether or not Cleveland said no way.
Well it matters if they say yes. If they say yes we can hire him away. But appreciate it, I have been known to completely forget things like rules and get them wrong when I do. (y)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I still subscribe to the Corbett-moving-to-center. Sign Warford, and you've got one absolute hell of an interior.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I admit to being one of those who was LIVID at Bill Callahan for what he did in Oakland.

He not only quit on his team, he changed the game plan right before the Super Bowl such that it was a surprise to the players who had no real time to implement it.

Plus, he insisted on NOT changing the calls which Gruden knew backwards and forwards and the Bucs D just jumped all over the Raiders.

I don't recall Callahan's beef with the Raiders, but it looked to me like one of the most spiteful things I'd ever seen a HC do.

That being said, I trust McVay and Callahan is one of if not the best OL coach around, so if we get him, I'll just have to leave my concerns at the door.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Who will The Rams part without ? Blythe,Allen,or Shelton?
There is no need to part with Brian Allen or Coleman Shelton you know that.

Brian Allen is going into his 4th season on his rookie contract. He offers the Rams a bargain priced experienced OL who has been a starter. Allen came to the Rams with a highly versatile college career with many starts @ 3 interior OL posts most starts came @ LG.

Allen is only 25 yr old & is coming off a serious knee injury in 2019 then followed up with Covid-19 & a setback in his rehabbing event. Allen is not a weak Ol'er in fact he has an excellent pro-day workout & is one very tough mean strong Ol'er. Allen did show that he was not ready to start in a very weak interior OL in 2019 he was starting with Blythe on his right & Noteboom on his left.....one would think that would be one very difficult assignment to overcome.

In this upcoming 4th season, Allen stands to be very competitive fighting for the swing reserve OG position. If the Rams were to move away from the outside-zone running scheme Allen's worth to this OL increases dramatically.

Brian Allen Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Coleman Shelton is another interior Ol who will be entering his 4th NFL season & is only 26 yr old. He has suited up for 28 Ram gms. Just like Allen, Shelton is a highly versatile OL too, in fact, he started all five OL posts in the college. It does appear that Shelton has much more center in him than any other NFL post. Shelton is an ERFA now which will make him resigning to an ultra-low economy cost $$$ contract guarantee.

Coleman Shelton Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not a Blythe fan but I am a Jourdan Rodrigue fan... and she's implied they want Blythe back.

Don't shoot the messenger.

If you mean on her podcast, I felt that comment was her speculation and not a repeating of what she heard. She reasoned out who they may want to keep based on Snead saying he believe they can retain everyone that they really want to. She started with Floyd, said JJ is likely gone, but mentioned Blythe and that if they cannot sign him they would draft a center. Sounded like spitballing . She listed positions the Rams value as a means to determine who they'd like to resign. Center was not on that value list.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is no need to part with Brian Allen or Coleman Shelton you know that.

Brian Allen is going into his 4th season on his rookie contract. He offers the Rams a bargain priced experienced OL who has been a starter. Allen came to the Rams with a highly versatile college career with many starts @ 3 interior OL posts most starts came @ LG.

Allen is only 25 yr old & is coming off a serious knee injury in 2019 then followed up with Covid-19 & a setback in his rehabbing event. Allen is not a weak Ol'er in fact he has an excellent pro-day workout & is one very tough mean strong Ol'er. Allen did show that he was not ready to start in a very weak interior OL in 2019 he was starting with Blythe on his right & Noteboom on his left.....one would think that would be one very difficult assignment to overcome.

In this upcoming 4th season, Allen stands to be very competitive fighting for the swing reserve OG position. If the Rams were to move away from the outside-zone running scheme Allen's worth to this OL increases dramatically.

Brian Allen Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Coleman Shelton is another interior Ol who will be entering his 4th NFL season & is only 26 yr old. He has suited up for 28 Ram gms. Just like Allen, Shelton is a highly versatile OL too, in fact, he started all five OL posts in the college. It does appear that Shelton has much more center in him than any other NFL post. Shelton is an ERFA now which will make him resigning to an ultra-low economy cost $$$ contract guarantee.

Coleman Shelton Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

If they couldn't beat the atrocious play of Blythe then neither is the answer at Center. Allen is even a scrappy backup.

The Rams will really be rolling the dice if they sign Blythe or stick with Allen or Shelton in hopes of drafting a starting quality center. Every team in the league knows the Rams need an upgrade there, so they all have their target of which team they have to jump to get theirs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I still subscribe to the Corbett-moving-to-center. Sign Warford, and you've got one absolute hell of an interior.

Not me. At least not without a helluva backup plan.

Corbett, a college OT, was projected by some to play center in the NFL, but he hasn't done it yet. And years ago I read that he struggled in the past when tried (Cleveland). I've also read that Warford's pass blocking deteriorated significantly during his final season of play.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Couple different places stating the same thing.

With the Rams over the last few years, these types of rumors always seem to be true.
I don't see how trading Havenstein would make our line stronger, which is what we need to do.

Unless they looked at the tape and think Evans can do just as good of a job.
And that would mean they would have to pick up a veteran Center which could be just as expensive because they would probably leave Corbett right where he's at, (RG).
I don't know if the savings would be worth it.

Though that scenario would leave Noteboom as the swing tackle.

With Noteboom, Whitworth, Havenstein and Edwards, we do seem to have 4 proven tackles when we only need three.

One has to wonder if the philosophy of improving the line is what led to Kromer leaving.

He may have been very proud of the offensive line he had built and didn't really want to change it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If you believe McVay then the Rams will be making efforts to ensure Blythe is here.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you believe McVay then the Rams will be making efforts to ensure Blythe is here.

I didn't get that at all, I believe he was thanking him and feel strongly the Rams sign a veteran and draft someone too.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I didn't get that at all, I believe he was thanking him and feel strongly the Rams sign a veteran and draft someone too.
I have to listen again. My initial take was that McVay would like to have Blythe back. However, I was only half paying attention; and I am a Walk OR Chew Gum guy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have to listen again. My initial take was that McVay would like to have Blythe back. However, I was only half paying attention; and I am a Walk OR Chew Gum guy.

IMO, the Center position is extremely important and Blythe has been an asset with his line calls & understanding the schemes, however, he's limited in strength and that shows up when there is a big ugly right in front of his face.

I strongly believe the Rams need an upgrade, somebody just bigger, but maybe the plan is to bring back Blythe and add someone like Drew Dalman (Stanford) to learn from Blythe.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I hope not. Blythe needs to go. Only reason I see them wanting to re-sign him is due to him costing less than more competent centers. Think that would be a huge mistake.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I have to listen again. My initial take was that McVay would like to have Blythe back.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if you're going by his presser and all the compliments he threw Blythe's way, then sure, he wants him back. But going by that criteria, he also wants Goff. :biggrin:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
IMO, the Center position is extremely important and Blythe has been an asset with his line calls & understanding the schemes, however, he's limited in strength and that shows up when there is a big ugly right in front of his face.

I strongly believe the Rams need an upgrade, somebody just bigger, but maybe the plan is to bring back Blythe and add someone like Drew Dalman (Stanford) to learn from Blythe.
But according to Ragnow, Stafford is awesome at reading defenses too so I would think he'd be able to help out there too. You may be on to something on the Rams thought process although I hope your wrong and they really upgrade it in FA. That damn CAP is holding us back tho