Rams contract restructures + FA/draft targets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I in fact discussed a hypothetical. This is a potential move that is worthy of said discussion. We have discussed that in other threads too.

Truth here is your only contributions of late around here have been whining, throwing shitty comments at people, and trying to rationalize how you didn't see how bad Goff's play was because you had your blinders on.

You're better than that OS.

Don't forget the overuse of the "haha" reaction

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, after the 2021 season we can cut starters like Woods and Higbee and create about $16 million in cap room minus dead cap and then what? Sign a comparable free agent at the same cost to replace them? That’s treading water to me.

We can create cap room this year without cutting anyone.

Right now for next year we have $41 million in projected cap space - even if the cap doesn't go up as projected, we'll have plenty of space with the following guys under contract:

Stafford
Akers/Hendo
Woods/Kupp/Jefferson
Higbee/Hopkins
Evans, Edwards, Havenstein, Whitworth, Anchrum
AD/Brockers/Gaines/Robinson
Lewis/Hollins
Ramsey/Long
Burgess/Rapp/Fuller
Hekker

Plenty of space to re-sign Williams Corbett, SJD and Kiser if we want to.

We can also create more space if A'Shawn, Brockers or Whitworth are let go. Obviously some of that will be taken by the moves to create more space for this year, but overall we have our core mostly locked up and will have space next year to re-sign everyone if we want to and spend in FA

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We can create cap room this year without cutting anyone.

Right now for next year we have $41 million in projected cap space - even if the cap doesn't go up as projected, we'll have plenty of space with the following guys under contract:

Stafford
Akers/Hendo
Woods/Kupp/Jefferson
Higbee/Hopkins
Evans, Edwards, Havenstein, Whitworth, Anchrum
AD/Brockers/Gaines/Robinson
Lewis/Hollins
Ramsey/Long
Burgess/Rapp/Fuller
Hekker

Plenty of space to re-sign Williams Corbett, SJD and Kiser if we want to.

We can also create more space if A'Shawn, Brockers or Whitworth are let go. Obviously some of that will be taken by the moves to create more space for this year, but overall we have our core mostly locked up and will have space next year to re-sign everyone if we want to and spend in FA
I think trading Havenstein is a real possibility. Opens up $5M of space this yr and I think $8M next yr.

Then move Edwards to RT, better pass blocker or at least should be with his better athleticism.

Then draft a road grader RG and sign Mack for C.

The extra cap room and pick would be nice. Havenstein seems to get injured every other yr anyway. He will not get any better and he is due for a down yr.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
tenor.gif

Your first thought to this article was to pay Floyd an estimated $17 million? All while creating more holes on the OLine? This is going to be a painful off season.
I definitely would not pay that much for a good run defender/below average pass rusher. Floyd looks better than he really is because of AD just like Fowler. We need to use any money we free up on the Oline

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I definitely would not pay that much for a good run defender/below average pass rusher. Floyd looks better than he really is because of AD just like Fowler. We need to use any money we free up on the Oline
Agree on Fowler as he was bad against the run... And a lot of his sacks were clean jail breaks.

Floyd is the real deal though. He was disciplined and a big reason why the run defense was so much improved and he did a great job containing the edge and rushing the QB with discipline as well, which is why he did so well against Wilson.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams probably move on from Floyd but tbh I can't help but hope.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed. But I want more size and physicality in our front across the board. And they could do that potentially in this draft. Odeyingbo is 6'6" and projects to be a classic 4-3 end but I like him as a potential Floyd replacement assuming he ends up going where I keep seeing him listed. I think he's undervalued right now.

I see him as an edge who could slide inside on passing downs in our two man DL looks or even stand up off the edge as OLB. I'm loving the size they added last offseason in Floyd and Lewis and would like some more of that. :biggrin:

View: https://youtu.be/sNGZ1_HJ1XA
I understand your thoughts here.....I would really like to move the $$$ contract of Brockers if possible & if the Rams get a 3rd or 4th round selection that makes it better. If that were to happen the 4 best DL'ers would be Donald, Robinson, Day & Gaines. 3 of the 4 are really big guys. Robinson played upwards over 330 with the Lions, has serious;y long arms & can bat a ball down anywhere from the LOS. So there is some beef with 3 of these starters. I really do think that the 6-4/310 Day or Robinson can fill Brockers vacancy @ the 5 tech post. I would also expect the 6-2/295, Marquise Copeland, to fit nicely @ the 5 tech post too.

Rams have more size too in Michael Hoecht 6-4/310 NT in waiting to be the new back up. Hoecht ran a 4.65-seconds for a 40-yard dash in his pro day work out less than a year ago in March.
LA Rams News: Team signs DL Hoecht to reserve futures contract (ramblinfan.com)

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Agree on Fowler as he was bad against the run... And a lot of his sacks were clean jail breaks.

Floyd is the real deal though. He was disciplined and a big reason why the run defense was so much improved and he did a great job containing the edge and rushing the QB with discipline as well, which is why he did so well against Wilson.
that's where he did his damage against Wilson but without Donald he was invisible against GB. He's great against the run but below average pass rusher, not consistent at applying pressure. Pay big time for a run defender? no thanks and Fowler didn't suck against the run.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Floyd's not the only guy who can give us a good contain. But it's a tough thing to find when you're talking about strong side vs some of these offenses. If you can't force that edge vs SF for example you will get run on. If Shanny runs on you he will beat you, or at the least you are in for a long day.

The decision to let Floyd walk may have already been made but if that was the call they will need a good plan. Just looks hard to pull off a replacement for that dude is all. And I don't trust Lewis.

I'll admit a tag is more than he should make. But on a tag he has to prove himself again which helps lessen the chances of getting burned. I am more concerned about another bad contract than overpaying an edge for a season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We need to remember that Hav is really 2 different RT’s.

He’s the run blocking beast but he’s also the pass pro liability that causes problems.

And he’s fairly expensive, too.

I think he’s expendable and it sure would be nice to have our TE’s running routes for Stafford instead of first chipping to help Hav in passing situation.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd hate to lose a star CB but getting a first round pick for a guy we signed off waivers wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to us. Not going 7 years in a row without a 1st round pick would give all the Stafford trade haters one less thing to complain about. Although let's be honest, we'd probably trade it away for another veteran player or trade down out of the 1st lol
Without Ramsey, our defense is much more vulnerable to big time WR's. I seriously think the 1sts we gave up for hime were wroth every bit..

jjab360

Legend
Without Ramsey, our defense is much more vulnerable to big time WR's. I seriously think the 1sts we gave up for hime were wroth every bit..
Yes, definitely. I know Peters has had a resurgence in Baltimore but even when he wasn't playing absolutely terrible for us down the stretch in 2019, he was never a shutdown CB imo

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Floyd's not the only guy who can give us a good contain. But it's a tough thing to find when you're talking about strong side vs some of these offenses. If you can't force that edge vs SF for example you will get run on. If Shanny runs on you he will beat you, or at the least you are in for a long day.

The decision to let Floyd walk may have already been made but if that was the call they will need a good plan. Just looks hard to pull off a replacement for that dude is all. And I don't trust Lewis.

I'll admit a tag is more than he should make. But on a tag he has to prove himself again which helps lessen the chances of getting burned. I am more concerned about another bad contract than overpaying an edge for a season.
I definitely agree on Lewis, if the plan is for Lewis to be a big part of the rotation or a starter, they definitely need a new plan

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
@Loyal please define ”hime“ and “wroth“. Thank you in advance

Ye olde English, spaeketh by thy Master Loyal shall henceforth be thine language embraced by the children of the frostiest countenance...

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I might be delusional or have wishful thinking... BUT I have a gut feeling Stafford will sign an extension to free up cap space along with a few current roster players getting restructured.

What does this mean? Those that have thought this out know what it means.

The Rams will manipulate their salary cap space for 2021 and make a splash with at least one if not 2 free agent acquisitions.

I'm guessing Kenny Golladay is one of the few at the top of their list. I know I'm not the first to say this..

I'm guessing an offensive lineman.. I know I'm not the first to predict this either.

Regardless.. The Rams will not stand pat and just rely on their draft to be final upgrade to their roster next season.

Something else is going to happen outside of the Safford splash signing.

The history of Snead and McVay almost guarantees it.

Plenty of time see how this pans out post Super Bowl.

Being a Rams fan in 2021 means don't think they're done and if you think you have them figured out, they will throw you another wild screwball for a strike and get your adrenaline flowing again prior to the start of the season.

bac21ae7e65ff1722dfd168006344016.jpeg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO the Rams will let Floyd walk because with AD up front it creates production on the EDGE like Fowler, Floyd. I'm not saying just anyone can be productive, they must be gifted EDGE guys not JAG's. I feel like the Rams will pull another FA EDGE guy out of their ass and he'll produce. The Donald factor is real...unless of course his rib cartilage is shredded. You're welcome Packers.

IMO they let JJ walk because paying young stud Safeties is a luxury. I think they retain everyone else in the secondary unless Hill gets offered a fuckload. I'd be careful signing Hill to be your #1 guy and big money.

I expect Brock to return as well as Fox.

Reynolds, Everett, Brown...gone. Everyone seems to be in agreement there. I suspect we'll sign some middle of the road but underrated guys to replace at WR/OL.

The one aggressive/shocker move i feel like we could see is a trade involving Kupp. Goff's dude. Also not exactly Mr Reliable in terms of durability.

Looking forward to see how it all goes down. As usual i'm not nervous and don't see any doom n gloom. Cap shmap. No 1st? No problem. The Rams know what they're doing.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
But it’s not getting $50m under - it’s cutting $50m. Two different things. We are over by 25-35m depending on where cap lands. So it’s really only creating 15-25m of space to use.

We're $32m over according to the article, the $50m in restructures requires cutting Havenstein and extending Stafford, and I don't think it's counting free agents such as Johnson or Floyd. An alternative path, or perhaps a way to free up somewhat more money, would require restructuring other contracts. Where the salary cap lands is apparently another factor.

The roadmap would seem to enable us to resign Floyd, unless he is offered a major deal by someone else. We could maybe resign or bring in one other serious player. (Snead's unlikely suggestion included Floyd and Johnson.) More would apparently be required to enable the Rams to sign additional free agents.

But if we want a championship the future is now.