Rams contract restructures + FA/draft targets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The next time a reporter tells the whole story I'd be impressed. Let the fans who are excited for the Rams to do this know what happens the next couple years after doing each of these moves and all those moves in totality. People see create 50 million in cap space and say wonderful why aren't they doing this yet free money!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The next time a reporter tells the whole story I'd be impressed. Let the fans who are excited for the Rams to do this know what happens the next couple years after doing each of these moves and all those moves in totality. People see create 50 million in cap space and say wonderful why aren't they doing this yet free money!

This would carry more weight if this same thing wasn't said in 2018. Here we are a few years later, and poof, we can make cap space

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Awfully risky to cast aside one of the best run blocking RTs in the NFL.

He was oft injured in 2019 and our run blocking suffered - made almost no changes to the OL and magically we were able to run the ball again. His three healthy seasons have seen us as a very good running team.
Yes, true but not making effort to keep one of the best all-around Edge Rushers/OLB'ers in the NFL in 2020 season like Floyd depart would be a bigger mistake.

Rams have many RT types signed & ready to go.......Good run blocking RT's are not that hard to find. Now the Floyd I watched this season would be very difficult to find.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Young is probably gone regardless. That is an easily upgraded role if they encounter an ILB they like in the draft.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Awfully risky to cast aside one of the best run blocking RTs in the NFL.

He was oft injured in 2019 and our run blocking suffered - made almost no changes to the OL and magically we were able to run the ball again. His three healthy seasons have seen us as a very good running team.

There's always going to be some risk with trades in the NFL, but they need to be measured against potential gains. Havenstein had one of his best seasons in recent years, and that also improves his trade value, although when the CAP is as tight as ours is, losing his CAP cost can be the deciding factor in retaining a player like Floyd, a move I whole-heartedly approve of. The Rams have depth at RT where there is very little with our Edge OLB'ers, so for me, it's an easy decision. If Noteboom remains a bench warmer in 2021, he's likely lost to free agency following the season, as for now, he could be a very inexpensive alternative at RT, and he might surprise us once he gets a full time starting role as an OT, maybe RT was always the better fit, i'd sure like to find out. jmo.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Getting above 50 Million in cap space looks very doable... If so...bringing back Floyd, JJ and Williams will be very doable.

But it’s not getting $50m under - it’s cutting $50m. Two different things. We are over by 25-35m depending on where cap lands. So it’s really only creating 15-25m of space to use.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
But it’s not getting $50m under - it’s cutting $50m. Two different things. We are over by 25-35m depending on where cap lands. So it’s really only creating 15-25m of space to use.
Agreed but that's enough to do off-season business. Sign restricted free agent Williams and the draft class; and still retain or add a player of two. The Rams are unlikely to be big players in Free Agency but if the Front Office restructures contracts, they may be able to avoid cutting solid, useful veterans (Brockers and Havenstein) and still add a couple of free agents.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Agreed but that's enough to do off-season business. Sign restricted free agent Williams and the draft class; and still retain or add a player of two. The Rams are unlikely to be big players in Free Agency but if the Front Office restructures contracts, they may be able to avoid cutting solid, useful veterans (Brockers and Havenstein) and still add a couple of free agents.

It also presents Demoff/Snead some options as they may not want to restructure players to the fullest extent possible, as pushing huge CAP $'s into future seasons can also come back to haunt. jmo.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
This would carry more weight if this same thing wasn't said in 2018. Here we are a few years later, and poof, we can make cap space
Sure, after the 2021 season we can cut starters like Woods and Higbee and create about $16 million in cap room minus dead cap and then what? Sign a comparable free agent at the same cost to replace them? That’s treading water to me.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It also presents Demoff/Snead some options as they may not want to restructure players to the fullest extent possible, as pushing huge CAP $'s into future seasons can also come back to haunt. jmo.
Absolutely true but if they held-on to players like Whitworth, Brockers and Havenstein for 2021, they would either come-off the books in 2022 with expiring contracts, or represent even more cap savings (less dead-$) if let go at that point.

I think it comes-down whether such players can be replaced. I have hope for the young OL (Edwards, Evans ... less so on Noteboom) but I think the best OTs are still Whitworth and Havenstein. I really like Brockers (production and leadership) but he may be more replaceable.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm feeling good after reading that article on cap options. I would like to see 2 moves those being restructure of AD who is a guy who should retire in horns anyway, and a one year extension for 9 to get another nice chunk.

Then tag Floyd or sign him.

From there it's pretty easy to find a good path IMO. I would reserve that restructure of Ramsey for the future i.e. next year.

If they make the Hav move then it's slide Edwards over and find an OG and that's where FA factors in where we basically move the money of Hav into the interior. That one comes down to what they think of Edwards on the edge and personally I'd be surprised if they thought he wouldn't do well there. He won't bring the power Hav has in the run game, but he's probably better in pass pro.

How much risk do they want to incur on the OL basically. That unit has hurt us the past two seasons and it could be argued that with a better unit we win that 2018 Super Bowl. It is risky but if Edwards plays at 80% of Hav's run blocking potency but brings better pass blocking, and then you upgrade Center and Guard too, we have a far better line. But of course doing nothing other than drafting Center achieves that too and we probably have better depth.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm feeling good after reading that article on cap options. I would like to see 2 moves those being restructure of AD who is a guy who should retire in horns anyway, and a one year extension for 9 to get another nice chunk.

From there it's pretty easy to find a good path IMO. I would reserve that restructure of Ramsey for the future i.e. next year.

If they make the Hav move then it's slide Edwards over and find an OG and that's where FA factors in where we basically move the money of Hav into the interior. That one comes down to what they think of Edwards on the edge and personally I'd be surprised if they thought he wouldn't do well there. He won't bring the power Hav has in the run game, but he's probably better in pass pro.

How much risk do they want to incur on the OL basically. That unit has hurt us the past two seasons and it could be argued that with a better unit we win that 2018 Super Bowl. It is risky but if Edwards plays at 80% of Hav's run blocking potency but brings better pass blocking, and then you upgrade Center and Guard too, we have a far better line. But of course doing nothing other than drafting Center achieves that too and we probably have better depth.

I'm all in favor of your first two moves involving restructure and the extension, but would favor Noteboom at RT over Edwards who looks quite good at LG imo. Re-signing Floyd long-term is my #1 priority.
As far as Center/RG goes, it's very difficult to say where management stands on current depth and whether they feel they can stay in-house or prefer to go to outside help. Corbett, Allen & Brewer may or may not be regarded as future starters at Center & RG, although Corbett did have a promising first year starting at RG. Should the Rams draft a 3'rd or 4'th round Center, we can be pretty assured he won't be starting at that position in 2021, and that may or may not send a signal that Corbett is ready to move into the pivot slot. If the Rams feel uncertain at Center going forward, at least we know that the team could be in a good enough CAP position to go after a Corey Linsley in free agency. It may not be necessary, but i'd be willing to sacrifice Havenstein & Brockers thru trade to sign Linsley and re-sign Floyd. Picking up a couple additional draft picks via trade and opening additional CAP space should also allow for us to apply a first round tender to Darious Williams and get the new draft class under contract. It's hard not to feel pretty optimistic about our available options. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
tenor.gif

Your first thought to this article was to pay Floyd an estimated $17 million? All while creating more holes on the OLine? This is going to be a painful off season.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
tenor.gif

Your first thought to this article was to pay Floyd an estimated $17 million? All while creating more holes on the OLine? This is going to be a painful off season.
Did I say I wanted them to create holes on the OL. Or did you assume that.

I do want them to tag Floyd yes, to answer your question. Just doing what I enjoy which is talking ball.

And yes it will be a painful offseason. Already has been with the whining we've been subjected to surrounding the Goff trade. But hey carry on with what you do best. :beer2: :cool:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did I say I wanted them to create holes on the OL. Or did you assume that.

I do want them to tag Floyd yes, to answer your question. Just doing what I enjoy which is talking ball.

And yes it will be a painful offseason. Already has been with the whining we've been subjected to surrounding the Goff trade. But hey carry on with what you do best. :beer2: :cool:
You did in fact offer solutions if they trade Hav so you're discussing us trading a starter on the OLine creating holes with limited cap and only what 6 draft picks this year now?

And the only people whining are those whining about people expressing their opinions on a discussion board. Well maybe not the only ones but they definitely are the loudest.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A real issue is with the edge rushers not in the DL.
Agreed. But I want more size and physicality in our front across the board. And they could do that potentially in this draft. Odeyingbo is 6'6" and projects to be a classic 4-3 end but I like him as a potential Floyd replacement assuming he ends up going where I keep seeing him listed. I think he's undervalued right now.

I see him as an edge who could slide inside on passing downs in our two man DL looks or even stand up off the edge as OLB. I'm loving the size they added last offseason in Floyd and Lewis and would like some more of that. :biggrin:

View: https://youtu.be/sNGZ1_HJ1XA

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You did in fact offer solutions if they trade Hav so you're discussing us trading a starter on the OLine creating holes with limited cap and only what 6 draft picks this year now?

And the only people whining are those whining about people expressing their opinions on a discussion board. Well maybe not the only ones but they definitely are the loudest.
I in fact discussed a hypothetical. This is a potential move that is worthy of said discussion. We have discussed that in other threads too.

Truth here is your only contributions of late around here have been whining, throwing shitty comments at people, and trying to rationalize how you didn't see how bad Goff's play was because you had your blinders on.

You're better than that OS.