Rams contract restructures + FA/draft targets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I like Kerrigan. Hopefully he has more left in the tank than Clay Matthews did. Another guy that could help the pass rush if he's healthy.
I thought Matthews was one-dimensional but he did give the Rams 8 sacks in 13 games.

Agree with the poster above (and others) that Donald's presence really helps an edge-rusher (either on the opposite side, or right next to Donald) ... Fowler, Matthews and Floyd were all productive pass-rushers with the Rams. However, Floyd was impressive in all facets. Expect he will garner a huge deal.

"garner" is a good word

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah with goff gone donald is the only fisher first rnd pick left. and i think you are completely correct about fishers hand in the cookie jar i think he is to blame for the waste of the rg3 trade.

Brockers. Who, ironically, was Fishers first first round pick.

The team who trades these picks almost always loses the trade. The team that gets the player almost always wins.

Redskins/Rams - even with RG3 flaming out, they got a playoff appearance out of this trade while Fisher did not

Titans/Rams - all those picks and Goff now being gone - we still won the trade. Same number of wins since the trade, same number of playoff wins and losses, but we made a Super Bowl

Chiefs trading up for Mahomes

Texans trading up for Watkins

Want to hear something crazy? The Bears trading up for Trubisky with the Niners - seems like the Niners won, right?

Bears have 33 wins and 2 playoff appearances since the trade

Niners have 29 wins and 1 playoff appearance - although unlike the Bears they have two playoff wins. Still - so far the Bears have been better since the trade

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The team who trades these picks almost always loses the trade. The team that gets the player almost always wins.

Redskins/Rams - even with RG3 flaming out, they got a playoff appearance out of this trade while Fisher did not

Titans/Rams - all those picks and Goff now being gone - we still won the trade. Same number of wins since the trade, same number of playoff wins and losses, but we made a Super Bowl

Chiefs trading up for Mahomes

Texans trading up for Watkins

Want to hear something crazy? The Bears trading up for Trubisky with the Niners - seems like the Niners won, right?

Bears have 33 wins and 2 playoff appearances since the trade

Niners have 29 wins and 1 playoff appearance - although unlike the Bears they have two playoff wins. Still - so far the Bears have been better since the trade

I think that logic is a touch flawed, and here is why. First off it is not the QB in a vacuum, no matter how many TV Personalites (And Message Board types) act like it is. If you are comparing a teams success against another team, you have to look at the whole team. If a team is sitting on the first or second overall pick, then they are a very bad team. If another team trades up to that first or second spot, then they are not only a better team to begin with, but they are theoretically trading up for the one missing piece. I would always expect them to do better of the next several years than the team that was one of the worst 2 teams in football.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

you are correct i forgot about brockers but i still think that it was fisher who had final say on most draft picks and i think he is why the
rg3 bounty was mostly wasted.
as far as the team that trades the picks for a player almost always wins. rams vs redskins besides rg3 not even being a starting qb now we got aaron donald major win for us. titons vs rams yes we made the play off 3 times and super bowl once but goff is now gone and alot of those playoffs and super bowl is at least a little because we won the rg3 trade(donald)
chief for mahomes no doubt about this chiefs win by far
texans for watkins this is very questionable. no doubt that the texans got a good player but he wants out now so this in time might be considered a draw
bears vs whinners well them whinners were blessed with many injurys (thank god) or they may well have gotten the better of that trade after all trubisky has been benched for lack of good play
getting back to the rams we got cooks the cheaters got our # 1 then they beat us in the bowl. dose that mean they won that trade.
ramesy he looks like a win for us but we are in cap hell so probably have to wait a few years on that one there is no doubt that sometimes trading picks for a player is the right thing to do but other times it isn't one thing that i just don't get is that so many say we don't need 1st rounders because snead can hit on late rounders. and yet they say that there are so many bust in the first round and must think that snead can't hit on those

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think the Rams will do this but one area they could potentially address is DL. And if that happens they will be after an addition that bolsters the run defense. Morris our new DC is a Tampa 2 guy at his roots and those guys cut their teeth with a light box in their scheme so generally they value DL who are stout up front and in the middle.

Brock's value is there for his cap hit in 2021: $9.8M. He's a core guy, a team leader, and he had a good season. I think he played to that contract but going forward are the Rams happy with him and Robinson?

Because Robinson factors in here too. He's carrying a 2021 cap hit of $4.25M. Between the two of these guys that's enough cash to look at high end options.

Like let's say FA Dalvin Tomlinson. One of the best run stuffers in the league, not so great on the rush. His PFF contract estimate is 4 years $13M per. We could play him at 5T or NT and this line would be significantly upgraded vs the run. How concerned are they with their DL? No idea. But in terms of beating the 9ers that is one area we could use an upgrade.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't think the Rams will do this but one area they could potentially address is DL. And if that happens they will be after an addition that bolsters the run defense. Morris our new DC is a Tampa 2 guy at his roots and those guys cut their teeth with a light box in their scheme so generally they value DL who are stout up front and in the middle.

Brock's value is there for his cap hit in 2021: $9.8M. He's a core guy, a team leader, and he had a good season. I think he played to that contract but going forward are the Rams happy with him and Robinson?

Because Robinson factors in here too. He's carrying a 2021 cap hit of $4.25M. Between the two of these guys that's enough cash to look at high end options.

Like let's say FA Dalvin Tomlinson. One of the best run stuffers in the league, not so great on the rush. His PFF contract estimate is 4 years $13M per. We could play him at 5T or NT and this line would be significantly upgraded vs the run. How concerned are they with their DL? No idea. But in terms of beating the 9ers that is one area we could use an upgrade.

Good points, but I disagree.

The issue with our Run D was the poor play of our ILBs and the OLBs not named Floyd sometimes struggled with contain.

Both SJD and Gaines have developed into very good 1T/NTs, especially in run support. That tandem is working well.

Also, while we could potentially move either of them, there's not much difference in their cap hit versus dead cap hit. I think $4M per player.

One of the things that happens to teams with the #1 D the last 4 years is that they tend to struggle to get to .500. Why? Well, attrition, other teams buying up your FAs, etc. The Rams have to be clear that unless someone's play is down, they need to at least maintain.

Now, if you'd suggested trading Robinson for a super stud ILB and relying on Brockers and Fox (who I hope we resign), then I'm with you... not because I don't love Robinson, but because the upgrade at ILB would net a much bigger improvement in the Run D.

That said, I totally agree that we have to address the 9ers counter focus. I mean that the league is a passing league and staff their defenses accordingly. So when they're healthy and heavy and running the ball heavy, the lighter, faster, pass oriented defenses struggle to stop that. Reminds me of the 9ers in the 80s just shredding the 3-4 because they always used big LBs that couldn't run and cover.

So, while I prefer our defensive scheme the way it is, I get that part of the strategy has to be to win the division and unless we think we're going 14-2 and content to be swept by the 9ers... that means being able to counter the heavy run teams like the 9ers.

We really have to sweep them this year... like for real. Fuck the 9ers...

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In a way our DL was like our OL. When the top competition comes knockin they lose.

The 9ers line dominated these guys week 12. The Packers too. Also our contain was terrible vs those teams. I think our DL could use a boost but yeah not likely to happen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe The Rams starting Center is
already on the roster................................................................................................................................................................
Sure appears that way too me to.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good points, but I disagree.

The issue with our Run D was the poor play of our ILBs and the OLBs not named Floyd sometimes struggled with contain.

Both SJD and Gaines have developed into very good 1T/NTs, especially in run support. That tandem is working well.

Also, while we could potentially move either of them, there's not much difference in their cap hit versus dead cap hit. I think $4M per player.

One of the things that happens to teams with the #1 D the last 4 years is that they tend to struggle to get to .500. Why? Well, attrition, other teams buying up your FAs, etc. The Rams have to be clear that unless someone's play is down, they need to at least maintain.

Now, if you'd suggested trading Robinson for a super stud ILB and relying on Brockers and Fox (who I hope we resign), then I'm with you... not because I don't love Robinson, but because the upgrade at ILB would net a much bigger improvement in the Run D.

That said, I totally agree that we have to address the 9ers counter focus. I mean that the league is a passing league and staff their defenses accordingly. So when they're healthy and heavy and running the ball heavy, the lighter, faster, pass oriented defenses struggle to stop that. Reminds me of the 9ers in the 80s just shredding the 3-4 because they always used big LBs that couldn't run and cover.

So, while I prefer our defensive scheme the way it is, I get that part of the strategy has to be to win the division and unless we think we're going 14-2 and content to be swept by the 9ers... that means being able to counter the heavy run teams like the 9ers.

We really have to sweep them this year... like for real. Fuck the 9ers...

All sounds good,but don’t see that happening at all. The Rams get Kiser back & Reeder held his own.When have you seen The Rams address the LBer position in early rounds if at all?

Brockers needs to go & Robinson has more upside.Morgan Fox I’m not sure will be back.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I am not seeing any need to sign a veteran inside DL in any way Merlin. Rams already have 9 (NINE) signed under contract DL'ers for this upcoming season.

Rams Just last yr @ this time added two veteran-run stuffers (Robinson/ Brockers). Currently, DC Morris has had 3 young run stuffers. 26 yr old A'Shawn Robinson & 24 yr old Gaines is here until 2024, 26 yr old Joseph-Day is here until 2023. Robinson barely got warmed up the last quarter of the 2020 season due to lack of work or need.

Last season Coach Henderson has SJ-Day getting snaps @ the 5 tech post behind Brockers. Gaines increase his snaps @ the NT. Both are ascending players with very good run-stuffing abilities. Rams also have an outstanding 4 DL Practice Squad bench with all of them returning with contracts in 2021 season. They all remained here the entire season so Coach Henderson knows what he has very well.

In truth the Rams have two well-used veterans DL'ers, Brockers will be 31 yrs old entering his 10 th season & Donald will be 30 yr old. The other seven DL'ers are under 26 yr old! I am sure that Snead/ McVay will be smart & utilize this wealth of young low-cost DLK'ers in 2021. Brockers is a bonafide high-cost LUXURY & should be traded & the yielded funds used to hook up OLB Floyd.

A real issue is with the edge rushers not in the DL.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
All sounds good,but don’t see that happening at all. The Rams get Kiser back & Reeder held his own.When have you seen The Rams address the LBer position in early rounds if at all?

Brockers needs to go & Robinson has more upside.Morgan Fox I’m not sure will be back.
We need better play from our ILBs than ‘holding their own’. Reeder is a solid backup but below average starter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We need better play from our ILBs than ‘holding their own’. Reeder is a solid backup but below average starter.

I just saw how The Rams have been addressing things over the years.The 2018 draft class has to STANDOUT in a better way this season.I think it was a part of the down fall of not making the Playoffs in 2019.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is awesome! We can actually keep Havenstein and still create enough room to make some splashes in FA. Hell yes.

I'd still trade Havenstein to create room to re-sign Floyd. Noteboom will be entering his 'contract' season and i'd like to see what he can do full time on the right side of the line before he's lost to free agency following 2021, I don't believe he will become Whitworth's replacement unless thru injury. Hopefully the Rams draft another LT with their first pick in the upcoming draft. jmo.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
If you believe that the draft is a crapshoot, then the desire to retain Williams far outweighs the draft pick compensation we would get in return for losing him. First round tender to keep him on horns.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am not down on Troy Reeder as you. I saw that he made good strides in on-field improvement in his first season as a starter. I beleive he will get better. Rams will have the slated defensive designated starter for the 2019 & 2020 seasons returning in 2021 in Micah Kiser. So that's a positive. Rams also have MLB'er Christian Rozeboom entering his 2nd Rams TC.

The other inside LB'er are entering their 3rd season as Rams. Kenny Young came in & looked promising in his first time being a starter. 2020 TC established starter Travin Howard is sure to return for his 3rd Ram season. He is a tackling machine when healthy. Then there is also CFL star Derrick Moncrief who will return for his 2nd Ram season.

These six inside Ram LB'ers are all young with a good mix & abilities & skills. They should return to bring a half dozen solid cadre from the 2020 playoff-caliber defense for the new DC Morris.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd still trade Havenstein to create room to re-sign Floyd. Noteboom will be entering his 'contract' season and i'd like to see what he can do full time on the right side of the line before he's lost to free agency following 2021, I don't believe he will become Whitworth's replacement unless thru injury. Hopefully the Rams draft another LT with their first pick in the upcoming draft. jmo.

Awfully risky to cast aside one of the best run blocking RTs in the NFL.

He was oft injured in 2019 and our run blocking suffered - made almost no changes to the OL and magically we were able to run the ball again. His three healthy seasons have seen us as a very good running team.