Rams contract restructures + FA/draft targets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
I'd hate to lose a star CB but getting a first round pick for a guy we signed off waivers wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to us. Not going 7 years in a row without a 1st round pick would give all the Stafford trade haters one less thing to complain about. Although let's be honest, we'd probably trade it away for another veteran player or trade down out of the 1st lol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is we put a 1st or 2nd round tender and choose not to match an offer. Is the pick we get in this years draft? Or next years?
I believe that has to happen up to a week before the draft otherwise it would be next year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'd hate to lose a star CB but getting a first round pick for a guy we signed off waivers wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to us. Not going 7 years in a row without a 1st round pick would give all the Stafford trade haters one less thing to complain about. Although let's be honest, we'd probably trade it away for another veteran player or trade down out of the 1st lol
Snead would have to be restrained from trading that pick...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I believe that has to happen up to a week before the draft otherwise it would be next year.
I don’t believe it works that way.

The Rams have to tender Williams by a specific date.

Any team interested in making him an offer has to do so by a specific date, allowing the Rams a certain amount of time (one week I think) to either match or take the 2021 pick.

I don’t believe there is any flexibility to push the pick to next year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t believe it works that way.

The Rams have to tender Williams by a specific date.

Any team interested in making him an offer has to do so by a specific date, allowing the Rams a certain amount of time (one week I think) to either match or take the 2021 pick.

I don’t believe there is any flexibility to push the pick to next year.
If all that happens after the draft? Free agents don’t have to sign before the draft.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If all that happens after the draft? Free agents don’t have to sign before the draft.
Unrestricted free agents can sign after the Draft. They are not tied to teams unless they get tagged.

Restricted free agents and exclusive rights fee agents are tied to their teams provided they get a tender offer from their teams. They are limited, and everything with them is before the Draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unrestricted free agents can sign after the Draft. They are not tied to teams unless they get tagged.

Restricted free agents and exclusive rights fee agents are tied to their teams provided they get a tender offer from their teams. They are limited, and everything with them is before the Draft.
On the iPad so not going to copy paste but this article I think says it has to be 2 days before the draft in order for the pick to be current year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Snead would have to be restrained from trading that pick...

Unless someone AMAZING dropped, presuming it's a lower 1, I'd bet real money if I wagered that Snead would trade out and stockpile picks.

I really think this is the draft to find players later than usual.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I just hope that Snead was the primary reason that we have been drafting/acquiring great DB talent. We lost a lot of people who may have been critical in finding those gems, because I don't remember Snead finding that many great ones under Fisher. But, Fisher also had his hand in the cookie jar there, so hard to tell...

yeah with goff gone donald is the only fisher first rnd pick left. and i think you are completely correct about fishers hand in the cookie jar i think he is to blame for the waste of the rg3 trade.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
With two high paid WRs and a very good VJ too, I just don’t see any way we pay money to yet another WR - even one who provides a speed/deep threat. Unless one of Kupp/woods is traded of course.
More likely this WR need is filled with a draft pick or via a vet willing to take a cheap one year contract.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I also think that the CAP is not going down 20 Million.

I think the Players Org will ask the owners to make a one time adjustment to the CAP and some sort of compromise will be reached.

I have a feeling at most the CAP will go down 10 million.

Of course - this is just a feeling.
I agree that is too much. Also no one ever talks about teams had NO warning regarding the CAP going down last off season because Covid was just starting. It is not fair to all those teams like theRams who are way over the CAP. Also teams know the CAP always goes up at least 5m and more so combine that with the CAP going down total not fair.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Unfortunately, I think the NFL is gonna be stupid and the cap will be around $180M

Monumentally stupid. Galactically stupid. Flat Earther stupid...

But yeah, I tend to figure give the owners 2 options and they'll find a 3rd, shittier option.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Honestly I just missed a prime opportunity to pretend to be one of them. Dammit.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero projects the 2021 Salary Cap will be $185M.

The floor is $175M, and is used by the salary-cap-site Spotrac, which currently has the Rams $35M over the cap.

Should Pelissero be correct, and assuming Spotrac is correct, the Rams would be $25M over the cap.

Not great but better.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm assuming Floyd doesn't come back. For a 1 or 2 year rental, I'd love Melvin Ingram. He's not as good as Floyd in the run game, but he's a better pass rusher when he's healthy, which is a gamble at this point. Ingram has never played with an interior rusher close to AD. I think he could be a 12+ sack guy paired with Donald.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm assuming Floyd doesn't come back. For a 1 or 2 year rental, I'd love Melvin Ingram. He's not as good as Floyd in the run game, but he's a better pass rusher when he's healthy, which is a gamble at this point. Ingram has never played with an interior rusher close to AD. I think he could be a 12+ sack guy paired with Donald.

Although I believe the Front Office can restructure contracts to get under the cap, I do not see any big signings ($10M-plus per-season).

Hope I am wrong again. Did not expect them to be able to sign Leonard Floyd last off-season. So I have a proven track-record of not being very smart.:)

I was thinking Ryan Kerrigan (33) could be an option but I also like your idea of Melvin Ingram.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Although I believe the Front Office can restructure contracts to get under the cap, I do not see any big signings ($10M-plus per-season).

Hope I am wrong again. Did not expect them to be able to sign Leonard Floyd last off-season. So I have a proven track-record of not being very smart.:)

I was thinking Ryan Kerrigan (33) could be an option but I also like your idea of Melvin Ingram.
I like Kerrigan. Hopefully he has more left in the tank than Clay Matthews did. Another guy that could help the pass rush if he's healthy.