Rams contract restructures + FA/draft targets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Base restructures simply take the current year's salary and turn it into a bonus so that an amount up to the difference between the salary and the minimum salary for the vested years can be spread over the remaining years of the contract.

All that would mean is that at the time of the guarantee... likely a roster bonus for the 1st game of the year... the Rams would give AD a check for his entire year's salary minus 15/16ths (or 16/17ths if they do add the 17th game) of the league minimum for his vested years. The rest would be league minimum game checks.

All it amounts to is "hey, we're gonna pay most of your season up front so that we can afford to keep more guys"

It's standard and I think the Rams have a standard clause which allows them to do it without player approval. And since it doesn't change the amount or when it's paid, it shouldn't incur any additional tax liabilities (but their tax attorneys would know for sure) and it just accounting.

Also, if a player doesn't want all that money in a lump, his agent or financial planner could always escrow the sum and pay him out weekly like always.
I was going to say this as well since these restructures do not change the players contract at all

All it does is give the player more up front money I think.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams 2021 free agents: Leonard Floyd
Worth another three years?
By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Feb 2, 2021

1612286395554.png

The best 2021 draft pick that the LA Rams could have offered to the Detroit Lions for Matthew Stafford was 57th overall, which is considerably worse than what most teams could have offered from the 2021 draft. The Rams still managed to acquire Stafford without including 57 — a point I haven’t seen anyone make yet — but instead turned to the third round to give Detroit something in immediate compensation besides Jared Goff.

Thankfully, Les Snead had extra ammo in the third round thanks to two key departures:
  • The Falcons signing Dante Fowler to a deal with a $15 million annual salary
  • The Lions hiring Brad Holmes, the very GM who traded Stafford to the Rams
Those two losses will turn into three third round picks thanks to the compensatory formula for players leaving in free agency and the Rooney Rule for hiring minority candidates. But losing Fowler also created a void in LA’s linebackers unit that did not seem easy to fill.

Fowler played in all 16 games in 2019, getting 80% of the Rams’ defensive snaps, and he recorded 11.5 sacks to go along with 58 tackles, 16 tackles for a loss, 16 QB hits, and six passes defensed. The Rams could not afford Fowler, but which linebacker with starting caliber production and pedigree could they afford?

Leonard Floyd, who had also recorded 11.5 sacks ... in the previous three seasons combined.

Probably still getting paid to some degree because of his top-10 draft status in 2016, Floyd signed a one-year deal that pays him a $6.6 million cap hit in 2020, with his bonus spread out between 2021 and 2022. Even if Floyd leaves in free agency, the Rams will be paying $3.3 million against the cap next season and $1.6 the following year because of their pact with Floyd to play that one year with the defense.

It was a good year for Floyd, but a great year for the defense.

While they may have different roles and playing styles, Floyd played in 90% of the snaps and finished with comparable statistics to Fowler — 55 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 19 QB hits, 11 TFL — and he is likely to find a long-term deal in free agency this time around.

Will the Rams be the one to give it to him?

We know that Sean McVay talked highly about him after the season, and comments like these were not something he reserved for every player ... which we now know can have significant implications about their futures with the team.

“We talk a lot about Leonard – the versatility, the relentless passion and really persistence that he played with, ability to affect the quarterback, ability to stop the run,” McVay said in his end-of-season press conference. “I think he was one of the more complete edge players in this league. Brandon had an experience with him in Chicago that made him feel really comfortable and confident. I felt comfortable (from) going against him and I thought you saw his best this year.”
However, Floyd’s season should have some red flags that pause an organization before paying him anything like what Dante Fowler got. Especially considering the 2020 season that Fowler just had in Atlanta. (It wasn’t good.)

Half of Floyd’s sacks came in only two games and they were both against Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks, a team and quarterback that the Rams defense had little issues dominating prior to Floyd’s arrival. Wilson was sacked 47 times, which is not unusual for the most-sacked quarterback in the league since he was drafted.

Floyd also had a two-sack game against his former team. That left Floyd with 3.5 sacks in his other 13 games.

Then in the playoffs, Floyd had two more sacks ... against the Seattle Seahawks. In the divisional round loss to the Green Bay Packers, he had three tackles and no sacks and nothing else of note over 70 snaps. (Season-high snap total.)

Leonard Floyd might be great in run defense. He might be an adequate pass rusher. He could be an excellent teammate. Is that type of linebacker worth a three-year, $50 million or a four-year, $65 million contract or something of that ilk?

If that’s the price tag for Floyd, it’s a rich one. Especially for a franchise that has other players they’d like to retain and other needs that they’d like to fill and they’ll have one less third round pick to do it with this year.

However, if another team decides that Floyd is worth that, then LA just turned their one-year agreement into potentially another third round compensatory pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LA Rams Darious Williams signs on with Klutch Sports Group
LA Rams Darious Williams signs on with Klutch Sports Group (ramblinfan.com)

The LA Rams face a new NFL season, and that means a new fiscal year. If you are a very optimistic person, a new year brings all of the hope and optimism of winning the next Super Bowl. If you are a bit on the pessimistic side, you’ll worry about player injuries, losing to teams on next year’s schedule, and the endless supply of ‘what might go wrong?’ concerns. If you are pragmatic, you will have already gotten a jumpstart on re-signing this year’s projected free agents.

One such player is defensive back Darious Williams. And he already preparing for a new season and a new contract. You see, he’s just hired one with a new sports agency, Klutch Sports.

We are excited to welcome @Dee_Willl2 to Klutch! #BuiltDifferent pic.twitter.com/zUOMhZTHWH
— Klutch Sports Group (@KlutchSports) February 1, 2021

By all rights, Williams has earned a very lucrative NFL contract. And Klutch Sports Group is determined to get him top dollar. Klutch expanded from the NBA into the NFL when it acquired Revolution Sports Agency over a year ago. Now Klutch is a major player in both the NFL and NBA and LA Rams defensive back Darious Williams has just signed with them.

The timing of this is interesting. We know that Williams has been a very pleasant surprise for the Rams since being claimed off waivers from the Baltimore Ravens. Thanks to his rapid and significant rise to a secondary star with the LA Rams defense, Williams is one of the priority free agents to re-sign this offseason. For all intents and purposes, the LA Rams face losing Williams, defensive back Troy Hill, and safety John Johnson III this offseason.

While the Rams have defensive backs Jordan Fuller and Taylor Rapp to line up as two starting safeties, they will be hard-pressed to rely upon All-Pro Jalen Ramsey pairing with defensive back Terrell Burgess, David Long, Tyrique McGhee, and Donte Deayon. The Rams need to bring back Darious Williams.

But here is the thing. Even if the LA Rams submit the first-round offer to Williams, which equates to a one-year contract of $4.641 million, it may not prevent Darious Williams from signing on elsewhere. Right now, both the LA Chargers and the Detroit Lions know the value of Williams. With a potential penalty of forfeiting their first-round pick, some teams may not give Williams an offer letter.

But a team near the end of round one, like the Kansas City Chiefs or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, may find it perfectly acceptable to lose a late first to sign one of the best and youngest cornerbacks available in NFL Free Agency. And with a top sports agency like Klutch Sports Group to represent him, any team considering making an offer for Williams will likely do so, whether or not the LA Rams tender a qualifying offer.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Probably need to budget our money in priority buckets...

And at positions we don’t have time to groom, positions that historically rookie production is weak... or we just can’t gamble getting from draft;

OL
Edge
WR/KR/Deep Threat

Then lay that alongside realistic draft targets.

Well I always go back to The Offensive Line.Most look at the Jar as half EMPTY! I tend to look things Half Full.

I’ll start with McSnead from the Beginning.When Aaron Kromer came to The Rams he had a Offensive Line that was TOTAL CRAP!!! DODO!!!

Jamon Brown -lol

View: https://youtu.be/VQXUy2r8Www

Greg Robinson
View: https://youtu.be/4HAgElLnIc0

King of The waiver wire
Andrew Donnal

Demetrius rhaney

What he did in The 2017 draft was pass on ALL offensive lineman.

Yes - Andrew Whitworth was one of The Best All-Time FA signings in The Rams history.
Yes-Roger Saffold was a Talent,but never had leadership(Whit,Kromer,Sulv.) around him.
Big Rob was coming off a career questionable injury.

My point being John Sullivan was signed only after The Rams failed on signing some Crap guy Ram post had a hard on for.

Snead & The Rams did well by signing John Sullivan & Austin Blythe was a solid backup The Rams found.I’m a Austin Blythe Fan,because of what he has meant to this Organization. First Class Character & team leader.
- Now watch McSnead keep player over the years to GrooM at Center.Drafting & starting Brian Allen & keeping Blythe at RG after the SuperBowl brings me to my conclusion once again.
The CENTER & GUARD position is getting filled in HOUSE!The Rams will NOT spend draft Capital on a OFFENSIVE LINEMAN.

Yes- I lost a few ROD-DOLLARS on Tremayne Anchrum,but that was because The Rams made a trade 6th rd for 3 7th’s.Plus he was drafted after Sloman & Johnston in the 7th. The last Rams pick in 2020.

I never say never but I still believe in the system The Rams have in place.
Anchrum really was a steal though & still might find it tough to make The Rams 2021 53 man roster.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t see the Rams having that much $ to spend. Would feel better if the source provided some analysis. The breakdown of the key contracts are available.

Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp have an $81M cap hit for 2021. Of that total, about $64M is designated as Salary. By reclassifying a large portion of the Salary to a Bonus designation, that amount can be spread out for cap purposes.

That could result in cap savings in the range of $30-$40M.

Unfortunately, the Rams are about $35M over the projected cap at the moment. The above savings get the Rams even with the projected cap. It does not give them much money to spend.

After Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp, the Rams are limited on restructuring options. They can extend Stafford for some relief, and release or try to trade a few veterans like Whitworth, Brockers and Havenstein but that opens holes.

The Rams can get down to the 2021 cap but they will not have much $ to spend. The wild card could be the possibility that the 2021 cap when announced, is higher than currently projected.

I hope I am wrong here but the math seems pretty simple.
Bruh, quit harshing my buzz!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LA Rams Darious Williams signs on with Klutch Sports Group
LA Rams Darious Williams signs on with Klutch Sports Group (ramblinfan.com)

The LA Rams face a new NFL season, and that means a new fiscal year. If you are a very optimistic person, a new year brings all of the hope and optimism of winning the next Super Bowl. If you are a bit on the pessimistic side, you’ll worry about player injuries, losing to teams on next year’s schedule, and the endless supply of ‘what might go wrong?’ concerns. If you are pragmatic, you will have already gotten a jumpstart on re-signing this year’s projected free agents.

One such player is defensive back Darious Williams. And he already preparing for a new season and a new contract. You see, he’s just hired one with a new sports agency, Klutch Sports.

By all rights, Williams has earned a very lucrative NFL contract. And Klutch Sports Group is determined to get him top dollar. Klutch expanded from the NBA into the NFL when it acquired Revolution Sports Agency over a year ago. Now Klutch is a major player in both the NFL and NBA and LA Rams defensive back Darious Williams has just signed with them.

The timing of this is interesting. We know that Williams has been a very pleasant surprise for the Rams since being claimed off waivers from the Baltimore Ravens. Thanks to his rapid and significant rise to a secondary star with the LA Rams defense, Williams is one of the priority free agents to re-sign this offseason. For all intents and purposes, the LA Rams face losing Williams, defensive back Troy Hill, and safety John Johnson III this offseason.

While the Rams have defensive backs Jordan Fuller and Taylor Rapp to line up as two starting safeties, they will be hard-pressed to rely upon All-Pro Jalen Ramsey pairing with defensive back Terrell Burgess, David Long, Tyrique McGhee, and Donte Deayon. The Rams need to bring back Darious Williams.

But here is the thing. Even if the LA Rams submit the first-round offer to Williams, which equates to a one-year contract of $4.641 million, it may not prevent Darious Williams from signing on elsewhere. Right now, both the LA Chargers and the Detroit Lions know the value of Williams. With a potential penalty of forfeiting their first-round pick, some teams may not give Williams an offer letter.

But a team near the end of round one, like the Kansas City Chiefs or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, may find it perfectly acceptable to lose a late first to sign one of the best and youngest cornerbacks available in NFL Free Agency. And with a top sports agency like Klutch Sports Group to represent him, any team considering making an offer for Williams will likely do so, whether or not the LA Rams tender a qualifying offer.
SONOFA

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Minor edit to Rams picks— not sure if Rams traded their own 3rd, or their comp 3rd for Holmes. I’ve seen conflicting reports...

We gotta keep Darious Williams! He is for sure one of my favorite players. LOVE the way he plays. And comes up big-time in the clutch, like the pick-6 vs Seattle...
Agreed I think Hill will be the odd man out when it comes to resigning guys. Williams is just in another league when it comes to playing CB. Hopefully Long is ready to step up

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm fine with the backloading cap money off of Donald and Ramsey since they're proven HoF talent. I would be concerned of Woods and Kupp though if their production falls off a cliff in the latter years of their contracts though.

Whatever it takes to win the Super Bowl.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We are all human being and would mostly make the same choice.
One place is offering you, say $8 M a year and the place you’ve been is offering you $5M a year.
You are considering these offers with the full knowledge that in either place, no matter how much you buy in and love the coaches, teammates, ownership, fans, city, stadium and uniform they will cut your ass in a hot minute of you are injured in a way that affects your performance, even a little bit.
Their window is small....loyalty would end up being a one way street.
Take the money.
Yeah I get all that I guess living on $5 million would be tough but since I’ve never made that much I don’t know. I guess it depends on how fast you piss it away.

When they say they want to stay someplace I give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually mean it.

Tano

Legend
Doesnt matter, we'll probably put a first round tender on him. So if he goes they'll have to pay a hefty price
If we lose Williams, we get a first round pick - use it on the best player CB C/G ILB OLB - on their first 4 picks - any order

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah I get all that I guess living on $5 million would be tough but since I’ve never made that much I don’t know. I guess it depends on how fast you piss it away.

When they say they want to stay someplace I give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually mean it.
They may mean it but then reality comes knocking.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed on OL and EDGE.

Target
If we lose Williams, we get a first round pick - use it on the best player CB C/G ILB OLB - on their first 4 picks - any order

This situation will be an issue IMO.

If you're Williams, and you're nearly 30 and coming off your best season - time to get paid is NOW.

If you're the Rams, and there's cap issues around the league, I can see them getting cute and only giving him a 2nd round tender to save some money.

I guess the only other piece of good news is that a team may not be willing to sign him to a deal we can't match (as long as a lot of it can be in future years) and give up a 2nd/3rd round pick. But we'll see.

I just know the Rams won't be giving him a first round tender. Hope I'm wrong.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It must be a weird feeling... from a pure team standpoint, they want to stay together. Rams want JJ, he wants to stay here.

But financially, they must part ways.

For JJ, it probably lacks the “looking forward to fresh start” feel.
Maybe JJ goes to the Chargers. Reunites with Staley and plays next to Derwin James. That would be the best safety tandem in the NFL. But yea he will def get his money this offseason.
James is a beast. Him and JJ would be better than what we were lining up. That's a stupidly good safety pairing right there. Staley builds from the secondary out too so yeah this makes a lot of sense for him to line up a duo of that quality right out the gate.

@XXXIVwin I agree we need to try and keep him. Pretty sure we'll use a first round tender on him. Then if some team offers him a big contract and we choose not to match, we get a 1st round pick from them. Anyone know if that tender pick would be in this years draft or next years??

Saw that today he signed with Klutch Sports which is Rich Paul and LeBron's company.

View: https://twitter.com/KlutchSports/status/1356320398841761792?s=20

Well first off congrats to 31 on signing with a big time agency. He's a big time player now and deserves it.

I don't think Staley will go after him because the Chargers have the 12th pick. That's too rich for Williams. But for those winning teams in the 20s it'll be a different matter so hopefully we get to keep him this year. I want him for a Super Bowl run but if he gets signed away so be it, I just expect it'll be some team in the 20s.

I like Fuller and Burgess, Rapp not to much.

But even over Ramsey, JJ3 calls the D .
One thing Rapp did do very well for Staley was his run fits. Staley basically had his safeties showing split pre-snap which invites the run game. Rapp is excellent at moving at the snap into the box and supporting the run that was invited. So they might be excited to see him this year on that alone.

But in terms of his role in this defense with the coverage reads I have no idea how much a fit Rapp is. There will be some projection there in that decision IMO because you pull JJ out and now who will function in his role. But we also have Burgess so hopefully we have enough there to focus on some other shit.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
So for DWill to leave as a tendered RFA, it would have to be before the draft? And that’s why, if he did leave, we’d get the pick this year? So we will know either way before this years draft?

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I'm not gonna post much about Rapp, good box SS yeap,but he suffers in coverage.

Fuller good all around Safety, Burgress should be a Good FS but neither is the guy that called the #1 D on the Field this year.

Staley can call whatever but if you don't have a player that can get it executed Hello.

Change is coming on that D and it's not looking good imho

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Agreed on OL and EDGE.

Target

This situation will be an issue IMO.

If you're Williams, and you're nearly 30 and coming off your best season - time to get paid is NOW.

If you're the Rams, and there's cap issues around the league, I can see them getting cute and only giving him a 2nd round tender to save some money.

I guess the only other piece of good news is that a team may not be willing to sign him to a deal we can't match (as long as a lot of it can be in future years) and give up a 2nd/3rd round pick. But we'll see.

I just know the Rams won't be giving him a first round tender. Hope I'm wrong.

I think they definitely give him a 1st round tender it's not that much. Its a no brainer.
Imagine someone does sign him and the rams get a first round pick. I understand we lose Williams but there are some excellent free agent corners available and if teams have to start cutting people because of the cap there will be even more talent available possibly cheap as many will probably sign 1 year deals til things get RT again.

I do not want to lose Williams but there are options and looking at it from a different perspective....it's like getting a first rounder back for those that were hurting over the Stafford trade.