Rams at Seahawks 4:30pm ET

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1500x500

Game Day Thread

The GDT is a live thread tradition here at ROD.

While we all get fired up watching the game, please remember our core principles;we always show respect for our team and each other.

Despite the emotional highs and lows watching a game, we will moderate this thread with that in mind, however please refrain from name calling. This applies to players, the Rams organization, and others.

This is the core rule of the GDT. Moderators are tasked to issue thread bans, at a minimum, to maintain this standard.

This is our team. Win or lose. Good days and bad.

A more loosely moderated atmosphere can be found in the chat room.

Go Rams!

———

ROD Chat Room;

Game Day Room

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prediction: Rams over Seahawks, 24-17

One of the goals this season for Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay was to get back to the playoffs after failing to reach the postseason last year. Mission accomplished.

Now the that Rams are in, McVay would like to make some noise, starting on Saturday in the opening round of the NFC Wild Card on the road against the Seattle Seahawks. McVay is 5-3 against Seattle during his tenure in L.A.
McVay’s Rams are facing an uphill climb, however, taking on a Seattle team that has won 10 straight home playoff games led by quarterback Russell Wilson, who’s 5-0 at Lumen Field in the postseason.

And McVay enters the game with a question mark at quarterback; he’ll wait to announce until game time if Jared Goff will make his first start since having surgery to repair a broken thumb on his right, throwing hand, or if backup John Wolford will get his second NFL start.

“Our job as coaches is to make sure that we’re making good, sound decisions, putting together good plans that give our players the best opportunity for success,” McVay said this week. “I’ve heard (Patriots Head) Coach (Bill) Belichick say it before, and I think it’s exactly right -- ‘Coaches lose games, players win them’ -- I think we’ve got to do a great job. When I look back and I always try to look inward and you say, ‘Are you really doing a good enough job?’

“There were some things that I was not pleased with when we played them the last time that I thought I put us at a disadvantage, specific to the offense. I think just overall, I’m excited about the opportunity to go really shoot our shot and go compete to the best of our ability and let it all hang out.”

Matchup microscope

In two games against Seattle, Cooper Kupp has been targeted 16 times, totaling 13 receptions for 116 yards. If Goff does play, look for him to use Kupp as his security blanket, getting him the ball early in the progression on underneath routes, particularly in got-to-have-it situations on third down and in the red zone. Playing in Seattle will be the closest the Yakima, Wash. native gets to playing close to his hometown, so Kupp should be properly motivated. Kupp matched up against the second level of Seattle’s defense should be advantage L.A.

One to watch

The Rams offensive line has allowed eight sacks over the last three games, and L.A. has averaged just 114 rushing yards a contest during that stretch. Both of those numbers should improve with the addition of Andrew Whitworth returning to start at left tackle. In the last matchup, Seattle defensive end Benson Mayowa finished with a season-high eight QB pressures on 24 pass rushes (33.3% pressure rate), per Next Gen Stats. With Whitworth back at left tackle, expect Mayowa to have less of an impact in the pass rush on Saturday. Add a healthy Cam Akers to the backfield and the Rams should have some success running the football.

Fun to watch

Jalen Ramsey basically told Seattle offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to stop hiding DK Metcalf and line him up across from him. But if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right? The Seahawks likely will keep moving Metcalf around the formation to free him up for big plays. We’ll see what the adjustment will be for the Rams.

Keys to the game

It’s a pretty simple recipe for success for the Rams to win on Saturday. Take care of the football. Score TDs in the red zone. Create balance by running the football. Don’t let Russell Wilson beat you in the fourth quarter. The Rams can play care-free because all the pressure is on Seattle to win at home in a game that NFL observers nationally expected them to win. The 12s will be at home sipping on lattes and craft brews, wearing their 12th man jerseys. The Rams were relaxed and loose at practice and in media interview sessions this week, a good sign if you are a Rams’ fan. Interesting stat culled from Michael Lombardi’s column at The Athletic (subscription needed) -- the Seahawks are minus-20 points in the fourth quarter this year, generally considered winning time for Wilson. During Seattle’s Super Bowl run in 2014, the Seahawks were plus-61 points in the fourth quarter and overtime. The Seahawks were playing historically bad defense before turning things around the second half of the season. This year’s version of Russell Wilson is different, and so are the Seahawks.

Prediction

Rams 24, Seahawks 17

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tale of the tape: Rams vs Seahawks (Take 3)

The Last time the Seattle Seahawks faced a team three times in one season was the year they advanced to the Super Bowl in 2013.

The Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers split the season series, but the Seahawks defeated San Francisco at home in the NFC Championship game 17-14 and went on to manhandle the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl.

This year, the Los Angeles Rams and the Seahawks will meet for the third time this season in the opening round of the NFC Wild Card game. Like the 2013 season, the Rams and the Seahawks have split the regular-season series.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said the familiarity between the two teams should make for a hard-fought game.

“It’s really kind of the fun part of it for the coaches and all because we have a lot of stuff to work with -- they do and we do -- and we’ll see how it goes,” Carroll said.

The Seahawks lead the all-time series 25-21, however the Rams won the only time the two teams have met in the postseason, a 27-20 victory in Seattle in the NFC Wild Card round after the 2004 season.

The Rams are 4.5-point underdogs.

Looks like weather should be decent (for now) in Seattle on Saturday, with temperatures around 48 degrees and a slight chance of rain at game time.

John Hussey’s crew will officiate the game.

2020 RECORD
Rams:
10-6
Seahawks: 12-4
Comment: Rams finish the season losing three of their last six games.

Points Per Game
Rams:
23.3 (22)
Seahawks: 28.7 (8)
Comment: The Rams have not scored a touchdown on offense in the last two games.

Total offense
Rams:
377.0 yards per game (11)
Seahawks: 369.5 yards per game (17)
Comment: Seattle’s 73.21 percent red zone efficiency is No .4 in the NFL.

Rush offense
Rams
: 126.1 yards per game (10)
Seahawks: 123.2 yards per game (12)
Comment: Rams averaging 5 yards a carry on first down runs, tied for No. 3 in the NFL.

Pass offense
Rams:
250.9 yards per game (13)
Seahawks: 246.3 passing yards a game (16)
Comment: DK Metcalf (1,303) and Tyler Lockett (1,054) both finished the year with over 1,000 receiving yards.

Time of possession
Rams:
32:01 (2)
Seahawks: 29:49 (19)
Comment: Rams held the ball for 37:53 in win over Cardinals last week.

Opponents points per game
Rams:
18.5 (1)
Seahawks: 23.2 (15)
Comment: Rams have scored four touchdowns on defense this season.

Total defense
Rams:
281.9 yards per game (1)
Seahawks: 380.6 yards per game (22)
Comment: Hawks allowing teams to convert 47.09 percent of time on third down, fifth-worst in NFL.

Rush Defense
Rams:
91.3 yards per game (3)
Seahawks: 95.6 yards per game (5)
Comment: Bobby Wagner’s 138 combined tackles is No. 8 in the NFL.

Pass Defense
Rams:
190.7 yards per game (1)
Seahawks: 285.0 yards per game (31)
Comment: Hawks have allowed 55 passing plays of 20-plus yards, tied for No. 24 in NFL.

Sacks
Rams:
53/350 yards (2)
Seahawks: 46/251 yards (7)
Comment: Aaron Donald finished tied for second in the NFL with 13.5 sacks.

Penalties
Rams:
71/655 yards (2)
Seahawks: 84/662yards (T11)
Comment: Jalen Ramsey L.A.’s most penalized player with seven, including five for pass interference.

Interceptions
Rams:
14 (T12)
Seahawks: 14 (T12)
Comment: Rams have just one interception in the last three games.

Turnover differential
Rams:
minus-3 (T21)
Seahawks: plus-4 (T10)
Comment: Hawks have two giveaways in the last four games.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
SATURDAY

Colts (11-5) at Bills (13-3), 1:05 p.m. ET at Bills Stadium, Orchard Park, New York; CBS or live stream on fuboTV

Rams (10-6) at Seahawks (12-4), 4:40 p.m. ET at Lumen Field, Seattle; Fox or live stream on fuboTV

Buccaneers (11-5) at Washington (7-9), 8:15 p.m. ET at FedExField, Landover, Maryland; NBC or live stream on fuboTV

SUNDAY

Ravens (11-5) at Titans (11-5), 1:05 p.m. ET at Nissan Stadium, Nashville; ESPN and ABC or live stream on fuboTV

Bears (8-8) at Saints (12-4), 4:40 p.m. ET at Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans; CBS, Nickelodeon, Amazon Prime Video or live stream on fuboTV

Browns (11-5) at Steelers (12-4), 8:15 p.m. ET at Heinz Field, Pittsburgh; NBC, Telemundo and Peacock or live stream on fuboTV

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the last matchup, Seattle defensive end Benson Mayowa finished with a season-high eight QB pressures on 24 pass rushes (33.3% pressure rate), per Next Gen Stats.

This is a big deal. Either QB will benefit from less pressure and more time to throw (sorry to read this, Boom).

Jalen Ramsey basically told Seattle offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to stop hiding DK Metcalf and line him up across from him.

You have to love Ramsey's swagger. It takes guts to say that, considering he could get humiliated on national tv.

Other thoughts... The QB needs time for the wide receivers to make second moves and get downfield. This takes time. I believe it was Blythe who kept getting burned up the middle against that Seattle nose tackle putting pressure on Goff. In fact, that might be the guy whose helmet Goff broke his thumb on. But looking at match-ups from a coach's perspective, McVay has to find a way to reduce Blythe's weaknesses. Help from one of the guards will help, but many times I see that is where the protection fails... during the "handoff" from the center to the guard, or when a d-lineman splits the Ram's double team, which should never happen unless your Aaron Donald.

Watching some of the other teams like Buffalo and Green Bay play, their QB has ALL DAY to sit back and wait for someone to get open. In my opinion, this is the main reason why the Rams can't throw downfield. If the Rams O-line provides protection... there is no doubt in my mind that either Goff or Wolford will have success. And as exciting as Wolford is running the ball, I don't believe that will last long-term. Surprised he wasn't concussed last week, after that one hit he took.

Does Goff have Jim Everett-itis? Maybe he does, but he gets pressured A LOT against certain teams with strong d-lines. Who wouldn't feel shell-shocked watching 300 pound guys flying around your legs all day long. We've seen him step up into the pocket and throw downfield many times, with guys all around him, but McVay also has to roll him out just to keep him upright half the time. The guy is tougher than nails, but consistent pressure would get to anyone.

And speaking of Goff, he may not get the chance to prove it this year, depending on the thumb, but the guy has always come back against the odds. He did it in college, and he's done it in several big games. I would not bet against Goff.

Is Brockers healthy? I believe he is. Not worried about the D at all. Just play your regular game. Hopefully they can keep Metcalf contained. That guy scares me.

Special teams are still inconsistent. They have a real kicker now, in Gay, but way too many mistakes overall.

Aikers will have a big game. McVay likes to run, even though he gets away from it at times. With big Whit back, look for McVay to run with his big-play rookie.

I also believe McVay will get Van Jefferson a few looks in this game. Van proved he can get separation downfield and McVay will definitely call up a play for the rookie.

I'm already nervous. Go Rams!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
surely we are up by a TD already?

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm gonna need everyone to take a couple of baby aspirin before the game. This is gonna be a highly stressful situation.

I have faith in this defense. I have faith in our coaches and I have faith in the heart of every Ram on that field! Let's get out there and kick some ass!

To all you freaks that put your heart and soul into following this team. To put so much emotion into something completely out of your hands....this game is for us. No matter the outcome, you are all amazing.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Man I'm HYPED and Ready for this game.

Go Rams.