Rams are expected to hire Kevin Carberry as offensive line coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
You got it @Rams43 I had a feeling McVay was going to dip in the college ranks and Carberry obviously is that guy and had to adapt & improvise this year as he was without his stud LT Walker Little who opted out in 2020.....FWIW all you draftniks @jrry32 @OldSchool @8to12 @Memento Walker Little's Prospect Comparison....Andrew Whitworth!

From what I read and see there's questions about him as a LT, sounds more like a LG prospect but we've all been wrong before.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not be surprised if McVay and Whitworth have a plan for him to go straight to the OL coach when he retires. He mentioned enjoying leadership when he was injured this past season.

That would fit with McVay hiring a young offensive line coach who seems almost a lock to get promoted. And if he stays more than a year Whit could be an assistant.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We don't really need an O-line coach. We already have Sean McVay and Matt Stafford. What more could we need?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Interesting to see who the pair him with the new Assistant OL Coach, might be a former player, somewhat fiery, I know they had interviewed Giants Assistant OL Coach Ben Wilkerson, but that might have been for Kromer as worked with him in Chicago.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I would not be surprised if McVay and Whitworth have a plan for him to go straight to the OL coach when he retires. He mentioned enjoying leadership when he was injured this past season.

That would fit with McVay hiring a young offensive line coach who seems almost a lock to get promoted. And if he stays more than a year Whit could be an assistant.
It’s kind of rare for a guy to go from playing to being a position coach in one year. Guessing it has happened but can’t think of an example.

I looked up Mike Munchak. Perennial pro-bowler, future hall-of-famer who went on to become a highly regarded OL coach. Munchak retired, sat-out a year and then became an assistant OL coach for three seasons.

I could see Whitworth having a successful post-playing career, making a lot more $ and working a lot less hard than an NFL assistant.

But then again, if he is passionate enough, could imagine him coaching. Just don’t see the transition being immediate.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, I wanna put on some pads and knock down a block wall after watching this guy! Great hire!

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I like this hire. As a UCLA football fan...I've seen ...too many times....us getting ran over by the Stanford offensive line. Whatever the heck they were doing over there, they had some major road grading O-linemen. So any movement we have towards a power running game is great with me.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cringe-worthy post

Hahahahahahahha!! You're just finding a cheap excuse to have a problem! It was sarcasm.

I'm always an optimist when it comes to the rams... but the thing that's cringe-worthy to me is the attitude that we can have all this turnover, lose key players, our entire coaching staff, our only good OL is 64 years old and not every hire will be an upgrade - but we should all act like it because McVay + Stafford.
I guarantee I'm not the only one here noticing some hypocrisy lately.

I believe in McVay and think Stafford offers an upgrade for a few years... but I don't subscribe to this instant contender fantasy.
Sorry that makes you supposedly cringe. I guess if you're trying to have a problem, it's easy to find one.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I trust McVay and his vision for improving the Rams. I have suffered decades of below average teams, the last 4 years have been a blessing and I don’t expect him to produce anything less than highly competitive teams that continue to evaluate, learn and adapt.

This is another step towards prolonged success.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fwiw I like the hire. Hope it works out. I always felt like Kromer was a little overrated.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1613936407736.png

Hometown
Oak Lawn, Ill.

Alma Mater
Ohio '05

Recruiting Areas
California (Santa Clarita Valley, High Desert), Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio

Kevin Carberry enters his fourth season on The Farm in 2021 as Stanford’s offensive line coach and running game coordinator.

In his third season, the Cardinal run game finally began to take shape behind a retooled and healthy offensive line. Stanford started the same offensive line combination in all six games, a welcome development following Carberry's first two seasons.

Senior center Drew Dalman anchored the line, earning first team All-Pac-12 recognition. Walter Rouse also earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors from his left tackle spot.

The Cardinal scored 15 rushing touchdowns in just six games during the 2020 campaign, a marked improvement from rushing for just eight touchdowns in 12 games during 2019. The Cardinal as much-improved on third down (48% in 2020 vs. 39% in 2019) and red-zone offense (78% TDs in 2020 vs. 47% TDs in 2019).

In his second season, Stanford started six different offensive line combinations, losing three week one starters to season-ending injuries. Four true freshmen started at least one game, including three for each of the final six games of the season. C Drew Dalman led the group in starting all 12 games to earn All-Pac-12 second team honors, while RT Foster Sarell earned honorable mention after starting 11 games.

Freshman LT Walter Rouse played in all 12 games and started the final 11 after All-American Walker Little was injured in the season opener. Barrett Miller started the final eight games of the season at left guard and Jake Hornibrook the final six at right guard. Branson Bragg also started a game at right tackle before suffering a season-ending injury.

In his first season at Stanford, the Cardinal boasted two All-Conference performers on the offensive line, as Walker Little took first-team All-Pac 12 honors while Nate Herbig was a second team selection. Herbig signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent following the season and was on the Eagles 53-man roster for much of the 2019 season.

The Cardinal offensive line was riddled with injuries throughout the season, as Carberry was forced to employ eight different starting combinations throughout the season.

Carberry spent the 2016-17 seasons as the assistant offensive line coach with the Washington Redskins and the 2014-15 seasons as an offensive assistant with the Dallas Cowboys.

While with the Redskins, Carberry and offensive line coach Bill Callahan presided over one of the league’s top units, producing two Pro Bowlers (tackle Trent Williams and guard Brandon Scherff) for the Redskins for the first time since 1991. The unit helped power the Redskins to the third-ranked offense in the NFL, allowing the team to average more than 400 yards per game for the first time in team history, while allowing only 23 sacks -- fourth in the NFL.

The tutelage and guidance of Carberry and Callahan were paramount in helping the Redskins offense overcome a season-long rash of injuries and still average nearly 325 yards/game in 2017. The Redskins used 36 unique groups of offensive linemen (including seven different combinations of six-lineman groupings), as well as eight different starting lineups along the offensive line. Members of the unit were once again honored for their excellence, as Scherff earned his second Pro Bowl selection and Williams earned his sixth consecutive Pro Bowl nod despite battling a year-long knee injury. Together, Scherff and Williams became the first Redskins offensive line duo collectively named to the Pro Bowl in consecutive seasons since the 1983-86 seasons.

Carberry was key in the development of sixth-round draft pick Chase Roullier in Washington. As a rookie, Roullier played in 13 games while making seven starts.

In Dallas, Carberry assisted Mike Pope in coaching the tight ends in 2015, when Jason Witten led the team in receptions with 77 and finished second with 713 receiving yards. Carberry also aided in the development of rookie Geoff Swaim. The Cowboys finished fifth in the NFL in rushing yards/attempt (4.6).

In 2014, Carberry assisted Callahan with the offensive line. The Cowboys won their first NFC East title since 2009 and finished second in the NFL in rushing (147.1) with running back DeMarco Murray leading the league in rushing and setting a franchise record with 1,845 yards.

Carberry spent the first five seasons of his coaching career at the collegiate level, serving as a defensive graduate assistant at Kansas (2009-11) and coaching defensive ends at Stephen F. Austin (2012-13). He helped the Lumberjacks defense lead the Southland Conference with 31.0 sacks in 2012 and he also assisted coaching special teams. At Kansas, he coached with the defensive line and outside linebackers.

Prior to entering the coaching ranks, Carberry attended training camps of the Cleveland Browns (2005) and Carolina Panthers (2006) and spent the 2005 season on the practice squad of the Detroit Lions. He also played for the Berlin Thunder of NFL Europe in the spring of 2006. From 2007-08, he played in the Arena Football League for the New York Dragons and Philadelphia Soul and was a member of the Soul’s 2008 Arena Bowl Championship squad.

Carberry also coached during his playing career, serving as the defensive coordinator, defensive line and inside linebackers coach at St. Ignatius College Prep (Ill.), during his AFL years in 2007-08. In 2006, he was a varsity assistant for Illinois state champion St. Rita High School, his alma mater.

Carberry, a four-year letterman at Ohio, earned All-MAC honors as senior team captain. The defensive lineman graduated from Ohio in 2005 with a bachelor's degree in marketing and earned his master’s in sports administration from Kansas in 2010.

Carberry is married to his wife, Emily. The couple has one son, Frank, and one daughter, Elizabeth.