Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I am hoping Thomas Brown and Morris both get HC jobs so the rams can start swimming in 3rd round comp picks for a few years... yes please!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yep. 2 years as an OC and position wise, coaching QB's does at least seem to be a closer path than someone who was merely a position coach.
That's only what we see however. What we dont see is what ultimately gets a guy hired, and that is his interview and plan. Look at the most underrated great coach, Mike Tomlin. Only 1 year as a DC, and wasnt even an impressive year, but in his interview he blew the Steelers away with his plan and now he's 16 years as a Head Coach without ever having a losing season. Its truly incredible.
So who knows? Brown could be one of those guys too, he could blow away a team with his overall plan, we dont know.
Fair points. And I admit again that Zach was way better than I gave him credit for. It is a testament to McVay's eye for coaches tbh. He really does have a gifted eye for talent in his staff. And your point is a good one re: seeing the game through the QB and understanding that being a key element in transitioning to head coach. It's a pretty big part of things.

Way I read Brown's move to TEs was that McVay wanted to get him into the pass game coordinator track. But in spite of Higs' bottom line production I was not happy with either his performance snap to snap or the performance of the other options in that room. I was seeing him as a potential firing, which looking back on it now was a bit extreme, given how well he bounced back to the RB room. But the bottom line in all that is I don't see some high ceiling for him just because McVay loves him. I don't get to see guys performing in the staff and locker room, so I go by the unit and try to read into what I'm seeing there. These are the limits fans must deal with.

It's the same deal with the defense. Shula was being prepped to be DC by having him learn the secondary and it blew up in McVay's face the same way Brown to TEs did. No matter how much you might like a positional coach, the truth is some of them are not going to be good coordinators. And being a great positional coach does not mean you'll be a great coordinator. The mechanics of the jobs change from directly leading your own group to the chess game and leading through your positional coaches. Using Shula as an example, the poor play of the secondary makes me question whether he is worthy of being a DC. And I think Brown is not up to snuff to be an OC in the same way. So to consider either of them for head coach is a bridge too far for me even though I could of course be wrong.

Lastly I'll observe that to be as bad as Georgia was as an owner you'd need to make shitty head coach hires one after the other. There were other things she did wrong, like pinching pennies with players, but her issues started with poor hires. So as an owner I don't think it's wise to roll the dice on coordinators and risky lottery ticket type hires. Sure you could hit on one of them. But is it likely. And before you know it you're a shit owner.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If.... if.. McVay comes back... sounds like he's blowing out quite a few assistants.

I, obviously, hope he comes back... and would love to see that process to try and learn what *he* learned.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With the Broncos likely choosing between Harbaugh and Payton, (I think DeMeco Ryans and Ejiro Evero would both make excellent HCs), if they don't retain Evero as their DC, I'd LOVE for us to bring him back.

I watched a fair amount of the Denver D and until they were socked with injuries (they are the only team who had more cap money on the IR than we did), they were outstanding and were still a top defense at the end. Evero's game plans were really solid and I liked the combination of smart calls and aggression.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the Broncos likely choosing between Harbaugh and Payton, (I think DeMeco Ryans and Ejiro Evero would both make excellent HCs), if they don't retain Evero as their DC, I'd LOVE for us to bring him back.

I watched a fair amount of the Denver D and until they were socked with injuries (they are the only team who had more cap money on the IR than we did), they were outstanding and were still a top defense at the end. Evero's game plans were really solid and I liked the combination of smart calls and aggression.
Harbaugh would keep Evero, they’ve worked together in the past iirc.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
LaFluer from the Jets would seem to be a legit OC candidate.
A guy who is familiar with McVay & his offense… has run an offense… and could benefit from running an offense under McVay.

McVay could give away playcalling but still have a strong hand in the offense.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
LaFluer from the Jets would seem to be a legit OC candidate.
A guy who is familiar with McVay & his offense… has run an offense… and could benefit from running an offense under McVay.

McVay could give away playcalling but still have a strong hand in the offense.
I think he's one of the LaFleurs that never coached with McVay?
So maybe only a casual/secondary familiarity with McVay.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Yeah - Kromer & Shula ? Gets stale.

Wondering about Olson & Robinson. I like both those guys & Thad did well.

—Carberry is The Coach I stated awhile back. Aaron Kromer was so much better. In faceted maybe Zak Kromer takes over? Something has to give? Is Mcvay going to BLOW that WHOLE LINE group UP!!
Really don’t know how to judge Carberry with all the injuries and constant shuffling of players from the very first game onward.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Really don’t know how to judge Carberry with all the injuries and constant shuffling of players from the very first game onward.
There is truth to it,but there is signs both ways. I’m against him & am not going to put up much fight either way.
I just don’t like him for whatever that is worth.Mainly because I didn’t like drills I saw & isolation from players group.
Plus injuries & improvement of Havenstien will be my final dispute.
The way some of the young player developed, I guess you give him credit for.Winning a Super Bowl will always be on his resume.

I think I can keep going down the line sort of speak,but that doesn’t do any good. I respected as a Rams line coach. Mcvay needed someone to come in & replace Kromer.I’m sure he gave players good insight & helped them out. Probably some good life time lessons & tools they will always carry.

IMO - it’s time to move on & clear the STENCH of The O”Lineman locker room.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just to add on The Scouting side of it I won’t give Kromer a pure pass?
The FACT The Rams passed on Creed Humpries & kept Bobby Evans around as long as The Rams did has to be held to some kind of accountability? Whether that is on Mcvay,Demoff,Snead, or Careberry. The evaluation & development has to be there.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
I expect Henderson to be our new DC with Raheem Morris moving to another position (Assistant Head Coach) if he's kept on.
1673657914359.png

Well.. the Rams can always use another "Get Back" coach :hiding:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think he's one of the LaFleurs that never coached with McVay?
So maybe only a casual/secondary familiarity with McVay.
Correct. And same general offensive concepts/language, from my limited understanding.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Lovie Smith could appeal to the Cardinals. He’s a players coach. Murry would like him. He’s got some Rams experience and he doesn’t exactly make sense for a team in need of a good offensive minded head coach. So it’s the perfect Cardinals move!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gonna be real happy if Frank Reich doesn't get one of these head coach jobs.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Every year the Rams coaching staff under Mcvay has been picked clean with other teams stealing the majority of our good coaches so it was only a matter of time before we had an off year with some underwhelming new coaches. The Rams once again will get many many new faces this year in their coaching department and I am betting on Mcvay to continue finding more studs. I am hoping for Reich or Kingsbury to help big time on offense. I would also love if we somehow could get Staley back on defense (please fire him chargers!!)