Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He never coached for him but they're obviously familiar.

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1614303175032602625

Now this would be interesting. McVay, needs to delegate more and give up the sticks if you will with play calling. Michael Dennis LaFleur is young (36) and was just fired as Offensive Coordinator of the New York Jets. Is LaFleur the guy you want to go with calling plays? Or, does he hire someone like Frank Reich and add LaFleur in another capacity?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Now this would be interesting. McVay, needs to delegate more and give up the sticks if you will with play calling. Michael Dennis LaFleur is young (36) and was just fired as Offensive Coordinator of the New York Jets. Is LaFleur the guy you want to go with calling plays? Or, does he hire someone like Frank Reich and add LaFleur in another capacity?
He would be #2 on my list, after Reich.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With LaFleur personally I'm not sure he would give up the play calling. It depends on what he saw/sees from his games calling the Jets. Does he think LaFleur was just a victim of a bad QB and OL? We shall see, but I think Reich and Jay Gruden are more likely to be given play calling.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
TBH, much of McVay’s play calling in ‘22 left a lot to be desired.

Examples are too numerous to repeat here.

McVay’s best bet is to hire a seasoned veteran play caller (hope not a ‘friend’) whose philosophy resonates and then give him the necessary authority and get the hell out of his way.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay’s best bet is to hire a seasoned veteran play caller (hope not a ‘friend’) whose philosophy resonates and then give him the necessary authority and get the hell out of his way.
1673720416625.png

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don’t see Reich coming here, TBH. He has his own offense, right? Not sure how that would work with McVay?
IDK, Jourdan Rodrigue of the Athletic had tweeted out Reich's name several times as what she was hearing, so I'm hoping that comes to fruition.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
TBH, much of McVay’s play calling in ‘22 left a lot to be desired.

Examples are too numerous to repeat here.

Reich should easily be able to adapt to Sean’s offense (pretty sure he’s comfortable with the Shanahan concepts)… and then add to it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hoping we get an OC that challenges McVay's bad tendencies (i.e. getting too pass happy with the intermediate and deep ball)

As fun as the offense looks when the deep passing game is working, quick passes / smashmouth offense will fatigue a defense to make them more vulnerable to it

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
If the Rams can get Reich at OC and then Vic Fangio at DC. While also getting 2 third round comp picks for Morris being hired as a HC then I’d be feeling really good about the Rams future.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the Rams can get Reich at OC and then Vic Fangio at DC. While also getting 2 third round comp picks for Morris being hired as a HC then I’d be feeling really good about the Rams future.
That’s a dream scenario. I like it! (y)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Frank Reich is intriguing for many of us. For me, in part, because it would almost HAVE TO represent a change in how McVay coordinates his offense. Have to believe that an experienced coach like Reich would require play-calling responsibilities, and some degree of independence.

I am a frequent viewer of the Boomer & Gio Show in NYC; and Reich is a long-time friend of Boomer Esiason (Reich was his back-up in college). Boomer's grown children refer to Reich as 'Uncle Frank'; and Boomer frequently discusses his friend's coaching situation.

I will keep an ear-out for any comments Esiason makes regarding Reich's future; and report back to ROD.

I'm on the job guys! You can count on me!
By-the-Way, question for the fine ROD Moderators (@CGI_Ram, @RamFan503, @Mackeyser, @Dodgersrf) ... What does a job like this pay?

Ellard80

Legend
People are Confusing Kingsbury's offense with Kingsbury head coach.

He has never been a very good head coach.. but in college, his teams averaged 38 ppg over a 6-year stretch

However, he runs a spread offense... doesn't fit our scheme.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
JR keeps mentioning Reich and LaFleur as coaching adds. What I find very interesting about that is those guys are so different - age, experience, coaching trees, prior successes, etc.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

That would be beyond awesome.

Ellard80

Legend
Hoping we get an OC that challenges McVay's bad tendencies (i.e. getting too pass happy with the intermediate and deep ball)

As fun as the offense looks when the deep passing game is working, quick passes / smashmouth offense will fatigue a defense to make them more vulnerable to it
Not sure what you are seeing bro.. we are not really a deep passing team last year.

Even when stafford was healthy he ranked 30th out of 33 in average depth of target.