Raiders at Rams Preseason Week 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I watched this game with a casual eye while attending an event. But FFS I really can’t see how yawlz think Allen is an upgrade OR how many other non-starters looked better than Mannion. Have you guys been actually watching anything but highlights of the shit show we have in preseason? It’s freaking laughable. Mannion actually stepped up a few times and tossed dimes to receivers that had established ZERO separation.

Is he starting material with THIS team? No. But give me a break. He played decent with what he had from what I saw. Allen to my eye looked practice squadish.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's the opposite of what I'm saying. Neither is good enough.
Great solution.

Mannion looked better than most back-up options I’ve seen this year and that INCLUDES your boy Teddy. Admit it or not - he even stepped around in the pocket well.

If your litmus test is Teddy then count me out. He makes some great throws but makes a lot of terrible throws and is fragile. I didn’t want him in the draft and I don’t want him now - period.

Could we do better than Mannion? Possibly. Probably even. Teddy ain’t it. I would even say RG3 at this point probably isn’t it.

Yawlz can say that a change of pace type QB would be great to have but you don’t build your offense around your second string QB. WHOOPIE! Let’s win a game because our opponent was prepping for Goff. I’m sure they’ll be in that strategy mode for the entire season.

nanotech

Rookie
Well, I wanted to weigh in on the quarterback discussion, however, I realized I wasn't the head coach, the OC or the quarterback coach, so I guess I'll check out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Joseph Noteboom played outstanding today and Brian Allen looked good too. In another thread gave props to Darrell Williams before the cheap shot, Williams played well at RT. Aaron Neary time should be coming to an end and if I'm Sean McVay, I have a conversation with QB Coach Zach Taylor about his time in Miami with free agent QB Matt Moore then I text GM Les Snead to join them in the conversation.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just my opinion, Reynolds and Thomas get mixed in with the first and second units during training camp. They get a chance to go up against the First team "D". They are competent. They are where they are supposed to be on every play. Yes, they have some drops, but for the most part are experienced. A 3rd team player, Hodge, has 1 good game and people want that player to supplant the others? I remember Nelson Spruce having 1 great game, but where is he now?

LOS ANGELES

chargers

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I realized I wasn't the head coach, the OC or the quarterback coach, so I guess I'll check out.

FWIW, the Rams don't have an Offensive Coordinator so go ahead and weigh in, we're all ears.
giphy.gif

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Joseph Noteboom played outstanding today and Brian Allen looked good too. In another thread gave props to Darrell Williams before the cheap shot, Williams played well at RT. Aaron Neary time should be coming to an end and if I'm Sean McVay, I have a conversation with QB Coach Zach Taylor about his time in Miami with free agent QB Matt Moore then I text GM Les Snead to join them in the conversation.

You are right Noteboom was absolutely terrific.

Darrell Williams got beat bad with an inside move (QB got the ball out) on the play that he was cheap shotted. I wish I knew the whole story behind that one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wait. OUR Brian Allen? I guess I’m confused unless you’re talking about a couple throws on the run. What else did you actually see that made you think he looked GOOD?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
FWIW, the Rams don't have an Offensive Coordinator so go ahead and weigh in, we're all ears.
giphy.gif

From the looks of some of the sideline shots towards the end of the game. I'd say Sean was letting a few of his other coaches make decisions on some of the play calls.

I loved when they panned to Sean talking to Goff and Mannion. Mcvay literally never stops teaching.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/18/nfl-rams-raiders-preseason-takeaways-lessons-week-2/

3 takeaways from the Rams' second preseason game
By: Andrew Ortenberg

The Los Angeles Rams earned their first victory of the 2018 season, defeating the Raiders 19-15. Once again, most of the starters didn’t play, but there were several important developments nonetheless. Check out the biggest takeaways from the game below:

1. Sean Mannion was better, but still not good

After last week’s disastrous opener, it would’ve been hard for Mannion not to improve. He definitely looked better, but still was inconsistent and barely managed to reach five yards per attempt. Fortunately for him, his competition got a lot worse. Brandon Allen regressed significantly, tossing an interception and missing Steven Mitchell badly on what should’ve been an easy touchdown.

Mannion did have a few nice passes, and threw one good deep ball. Still, Mannion struggled with accuracy at times, and is shockingly immobile with poor footwork. Needless to say, the Rams are in major trouble if Jared Goff has to miss any time, and it makes sense why Sean McVay held him out of the first two games.

Mannion probably has a little breathing room now in the race to be Goff’s clipboard holder, but a lot can change over the next couple of weeks. No matter who wins the battle, they’re unlikely to inspire much confidence. Perhaps it’s time to give Luis Perez a shot and see what he’s got.

2. KhaDarel Hodge is forcing his way into the conversation

The Rams have a very crowded receivers room. With Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Pharoh Cooper and likely Josh Reynolds all locks to make the roster, there isn’t a ton of room behind them. There’s an all out battle royale between a slew of receivers for depth chart positioning like Mike Thomas, Fred Brown, Steven Mitchell, Hodge, and special teams standout JoJo Natson.

Hodge caught the team’s only touchdown last week and shined again today, rising up for an excellent catch on the longest play of the day, a 47-yard connection with Mannion. Signed less than a month ago from tiny school Prairie View A&M, Hodge is quickly forcing his way into the discussion for a potential spot on the practice squad. He’s come a long way in a very short amount of time, and he’ll be someone to watch throughout the rest of the preseason.

3. The unheralded rookie defenders looked great

Overall, the Rams’ defense played pretty well today. Three players who stood out on the defensive side of the ball were rookies who were either late picks or undrafted. Undrafted rookie free agent Tegray Scales looked good at inside linebacker, and should be considered a legitimate threat to make the team at a position the Rams are thin at.

Seventh-rounder Justin Lawler, who received some first-team reps earlier this offseason, had a sack and a tackle for loss, and undrafted rookie safety Nate Holley had a pair of nice pass breakups and a near interception. Although not nearly as under-the-radar, fourth round rookie John Franklin-Myers also impressed, picking up a sack of his own. Overall, it was a promising showing from the unit, and several of the rookies are making strong cases for roster spots.

dang

Legend
Mannion had a better game but looks slow and I only remember him airing out 2 passes so his arm was not on display today. Allen is much more mobile but was not impressive as a backup candidate (horrible interception and a big miss on a sure TD). I think McVay may be feeling the need to be on the lookout for another backup QB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
On a good note.... Kelly pushing his own blocker to create an additional 7 yards showed me real intuitive play. It was similar to Gurley’s hurdling. Use whatever is within your arsenal to gain “extra” yards. That really stood out to me more than maybe anything except for the defensive intensity early on.

The defense was having fun out there today. Just physical play!

dang

Legend
I like seeing WR Hodge putting some pressure on Thomas/Reynolds and dare I say Cooper! Time to step up vet WRs!! . There's only 53 seats on the bus.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'm replaying one play in my head and it is the Franklin Meyers sack play.

Samson did a great job making the quarterback step up. I remember Quinn always having that great bend that if he could hit the edge he could get the qb but most of the time an offensive tackle could run him by the QB.

On this play Samson had that same outside rush that we'd see from Quinn. However instead of trying to bend he attacked the edge of the tackle forcing him into the space the QB was stepping back into, leading to the QB stepping up and Franklin Meyers being right there.

I watched that game very intently wanting to see our LB's/DL, young oline, and John Kelly. I left feeling positive about
Samson Ebukam
Franklin Meyers
Ejuan Price (made a few plays that I saw)
Ethan Westbrooks (he looked FAST off the line - Donald like on a few plays)
Holley (The safety)
Justin Lawler
Hatfield surprisingly had a pretty good game
Laguda
Isaiah Johnson
Noteboom
Allen (the center had some nice blocks)
Sam Ficken (he impressed me, I like that he took time to learn how to punt although he isn't the best at it and I can tell it's him punting just by form. That being said he was booming the ball on kick offs and all his kicks had a nice boom sound and a straight line. I can tell he's been working - may earn himself a job somewhere around the league)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can someone tell me if Franklin-Myers is a defensive end or an OLB? I really can't tell

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Question: how did our back up QBs look last year in Preseason weeks 1&2?
Did they seem to be processing faster? Better movement? Anything?

I ask because I don't remember...

But I wonder if we are possibly missing Greg Olson?