PREGAME Pregame Thread - Lions at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's something I can't figure out with Goff. If you watch him in college and compare him to now, he actually had a much more compact release back then and held the ball higher. Now, he elongates his release by dipping the ball down before drawing it back. He used to just draw the ball back straight from where he was holding. I'm not sure why he made that change. It has slowed his release time.

MachS

Hall of Fame
The difference shows up in a lot of ways.

The Henderson TD catch? Jets game last year.. Goff, under no pressure, sails it over Henderson.
Yea we need to come out and pressure Goff big time to get him off his spot and force missed throws. You know he's going to play this like his 2nd Super Bowl because he'll likely never get back there. Our defense needs to be ready. We need to cover all the underneath stuff and come out and score offensively. If we can go up 14+ early and force them into pass only mode, we could blow them out.

The other part of this is McVay's side. He wants to look like he made the right decision. He knows there's going to be a lot of eyes on this one and he's going to want to make sure Stafford has a huge game. I wouldn't be surprised if its a very pass heavy gameplan and everything in the red zone is a pass to try and ensure Stafford goes off vs Detroit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I agree with you there but I think their head coach talks too much. 0-6 would make me concentrate on fixing things not blaming individual players. Goff can light it up when he has time and good receivers. We all know he can. So throwing him under the bus felt cheep and defensive to me.
Some deja vu here. Do tell us how victimized he is that his coach would say he should play better.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for the game itself.... The Rams players who were with the team last year, got behind Wolfy when Goff was injured without much trouble. It was next man up, as though Wolfy wasn't a drop off from Goff.

We know how much AD loves Stafford and I am sure that other players see a brighter future with Stafford, and know the outside questions as to whether Stafford was an upgrade over their former QB. The Rams will be motivated against their guys, Brockers and Goff.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
FWIW this is the plan against every pocket passer in the league lol

Except Goff is a tale of two QBs. If you don't hit him and get pressure on him, he looks great and make amazing throws. If you do hit him, he becomes a turnover machine and plays terribly. Some QBs are good under pressure, Goff is not one of them.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Mahommes couldn't make the Lions winners right now, so people shouldn't expect much this year out of that team.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
For whatever reasons, Goff has evolved into a bottom of the barrel tier starter.

His next contract will reveal that development for all to see.

Probably be the best backup qb in the league.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel kind of bad for Goff, his coach beat him up in public. Not cool. How about the coach put a decent O-Line together and get on the receivers in public too. Singling out one guy shows him to not be worthy of the title of head coach. if he wants to blame one guy he should blame himself.
I always felt that this was because goff wasn't the type of guy to put the extra work in and that perturbs coaches. That's just speculation on my part though

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There's something I can't figure out with Goff. If you watch him in college and compare him to now, he actually had a much more compact release back then and held the ball higher. Now, he elongates his release by dipping the ball down before drawing it back. He used to just draw the ball back straight from where he was holding. I'm not sure why he made that change. It has slowed his release time.
Agreed. His footwork too. He seems to have his feet stuck in the sand on a lot of plays. I'm pretty sure it was you who brought to my attention that he always chopped his feet ( not sure if that's the term you used) when he was in college and he seemed to do that his first couple years with us.

I really don't get what has happened. I really thought we had something with Goff until about a third of the way through '19. It was almost like the game started to slow down so he got lazier and sloppier. Just weird.

This really makes me wonder if his heart isn't in it. It think he clearly has talent - just maybe not the mental fortitude or desire to be great.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Martz had it right IMO when it comes to QBs needing to be your most competitive player. They gotta have fight, will to win, and some fuckin balls to them. I don't see that shit when I watch Goff play, the guy is immensely talented but talent alone is not enough at this level. Not at QB.
Honestly though... That doesn't explain Bulger over Warner. Warner was a fighter, Bulger was a punching bag.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
For whatever reasons, Goff has evolved into a bottom of the barrel tier starter.

His next contract will reveal that development for all to see.

Probably be the best backup qb in the league.
Nah.
I think he’ll take the money and run. I don’t think anyone is paying him more than minimum dollars after this deal..
He’ll have made more than $100 million.. why scramble for backup work. It’s 120 million plus if they keep him next year.
Maybe I’m being too harsh and someone will offer him a bridge deal.
But.. if it’s the minimum? Why would he bother?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Honestly though... That doesn't explain Bulger over Warner. Warner was a fighter, Bulger was a punching bag.
I'm of the mind that Bulger was a result of Martz's hubris. He lost faith in Kurt and tried to show he was the great GSoT genius. But either way, I think he was right about compete being important in your QB. And I also think some guys can lose that compete when they get a super fine model girlfriend plus a fat paycheck to make his nest with her.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Except Goff is a tale of two QBs. If you don't hit him and get pressure on him, he looks great and make amazing throws. If you do hit him, he becomes a turnover machine and plays terribly. Some QBs are good under pressure, Goff is not one of them.
That can be said of most NFL QBs. The great ones like Brady have the refs literally protect them and typically make game changing calls so they can win. (How do you call it a fumble on the field and overturn it to the tuck rule after video review?)

TexasRam

Legend
Sean Mcvay was really pissed during and after the Giants game. When Stafford threw the interception Mcvay literally threw his headset.

Mcvay is beginning to remind me of Mad Martz. He allows almost no room for mistakes. On one hand you like that type of competitor. This game had plenty of Stafford bonehead mistakes between the interception and the 3 missed interception, not to mention the bonehead run by Stafford where he doesn't get down and almost gets his head taken off. Seriously dude, get down.

The similarity with Martz is Mcvay doesn't throw his QB's under the bus in front of the media but gets a little crazy when his offense isn't working. I've heard several analysts this week move the Rams down the power rankings because of Staffords erratic throws over the last several games. He has a top Oline giving him excellent protection, multiple targets getting separation and Mcvay creating wide open looks with some unbelievable play calls. To Staffords credit, once he gets on a roll he throws darts. He also clearly throws the verticals much better than Goff did the final two years. But if anyone doesn't think Mcvay is getting frustrated you are not paying attention.

Meanwhile Goff has a Coach saying he needs to put the game on his shoulders to get a win but also says he doesn't believe you can judge Goff under these conditions. The conditions is an Oline ravaged by injury and the worst WRs in the NFL.

Sunday will truly be a beatdown of Goff and the Lions. We are talking top team vs bottom dwellers.

But pay attention to Mcvay, he knows he is a tremendous play caller and he puts on a good face to the public, but he is starting to get frustrated. Watch his post pressers. Once we start facing some real defenses it could get ugly. So far we have faced some terrible secondaries. Hopefully Stafford has hit full stride by then with this new offense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sean Mcvay was really pissed during and after the Giants game. When Stafford threw the interception Mcvay literally threw his headset.

Mcvay is beginning to remind me of Mad Martz. He allows almost no room for mistakes. On one hand you like that type of competitor. This game had plenty of Stafford bonehead mistakes between the interception and the 3 missed interception, not to mention the bonehead run by Stafford where he doesn't get down and almost gets his head taken off. Seriously dude, get down.

The similarity with Martz is Mcvay doesn't throw his QB's under the bus in front of the media but gets a little crazy when his offense isn't working. I've heard several analysts this week move the Rams down the power rankings because of Staffords erratic throws over the last several games. He has a top Oline giving him excellent protection, multiple targets getting separation and Mcvay creating wide open looks with some unbelievable play calls. To Staffords credit, once he gets on a roll he throws darts. He also clearly throws the verticals much better than Goff did the final two years. But if anyone doesn't think Mcvay is getting frustrated you are not paying attention.

Meanwhile Goff has a Coach saying he needs to put the game on his shoulders to get a win but also says he doesn't believe you can judge Goff under these conditions. The conditions is an Oline ravaged by injury and the worst WRs in the NFL.

Sunday will truly be a beatdown of Goff and the Lions. We are talking top team vs bottom dwellers.

But pay attention to Mcvay, he knows he is a tremendous play caller and he puts on a good face to the public, but he is starting to get frustrated. Watch his post pressers. Once we start facing some real defenses it could get ugly. So far we have faced some terrible secondaries. Hopefully Stafford has hit full stride by then with this new offense.
I actually believe McVay is usually more pissed at himself than anyone else.
The Int? That was on Kupp.. so if McVay was pissed at a player, it was him.
McVay has so much more freedom now.. no way is he gonna lose his shit with Stafford anytime soon.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah.
I think he’ll take the money and run. I don’t think anyone is paying him more than minimum dollars after this deal..
He’ll have made more than $100 million.. why scramble for backup work. It’s 120 million plus if they keep him next year.
Maybe I’m being too harsh and someone will offer him a bridge deal.
But.. if it’s the minimum? Why would he bother?
Does any back up QB make the minimum? He still has the #1 pick and taking a team to the Super Bowl, bonafides, and so some desperate team will pay for him to be a great back up, imo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Does any back up QB make the minimum? He still has the #1 pick and taking a team to the Super Bowl, bonafides, and so some desperate team will pay for him to be a great back up, imo.
Certainly could happen, but on the course he is on, I’m skeptical.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I believe Goff can still be a starter in the NFL but as some have said, he needs a better surrounding cast than the Lions have.

But it's also possible that he has regressed sine he's no longer being tutored by McVay.