(Poll) Who would you start this weekend? The Wolford/Goff Collection Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB are you starting?

• The Wolf

• Perkins

• Bortles

• Hekker the Wrecker

• Case Keenum

• Cam Akers

• Dieter Brock

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
That's not the point. I didn't criticize Wolford after the game. I didn't have unrealistic expectations. But people are now saying he's better than the starting QB who has been to two Pro Bowls, led us to the Super Bowl, won 40+ games over the past four years, and played 74 games in his career. If you're going to tell me that Wolford is a better option than Goff, you better not tell me in the same breath that it's unfair to hold Wolford to Goff's expectations. Those two claims are incompatible.
I'm not saying Wolford is better that's for sure and everything you said about Goffs accomplishments are true. The only problem is it's all in the rear view mirror and people are judging Goff on how he's playing now. We should expect more from him than we would Wolford at this stage of their careers. One game vs 74.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Has anyone reviewed the all 22 yet on Goff's performance? I think many of you are jumping to conclusions on his first couple of series. Nobody was open and the line was pushed back on top of him. Don't underestimate Seattle's defense. They greatly improved their pass rush in midseason and they were as healthy as they could have been.

His worst throw of the day was the deep ball to Kupp. That was probably due to his thumb. He made good decisions throughout the rest of the game. This is a no brainer for me, start Goff.

JRobinson

MiLB
I'm not saying Wolford is better that's for sure and everything you said about Goffs accomplishments are true. The only problem is it's all in the rear view mirror and people are judging Goff on how he's playing now. We should expect more from him than we would Wolford at this stage of their careers. One game vs 74.

Exactly.

I just feel Wolford is better to start right now based upon your statement.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
You could of probably made this a 1 page thread with the simplicity of that explanation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who is calling Wolford’s performance great?
Multiple people, multiple people are calling it good and inspiring and better than what Goff can do. None of which the tape shows imo. It was barely adequate and for the umpteenth imo if he doesn’t learn to avoid hits this discussion will be irrelevant the next time he plays. Now as 503 said way to much time and effort has been put into this baseless thread and the other one unless something changes on the field. If Jared is healthy he gives us a far better chance to win than Wolford.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly.

I just feel Wolford is better to start right now based upon your statement.
Wolford is better to start right now because Goff just had surgery and is still not recovered...which is why Wolford started. what’s your point?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Paradise? I would not call what we as Ram fans have been watching the last two seasons @ QB as being "Paradise".

Goff healthy is a better QB than a healthy Wolford but none of what I have seen thus far would paint a picture of the word Paradise in my mind.

Playing in freezing temps this Saturday with a broken thumb with 3 pins inserted would not be a good idea for Goff's future.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff vs. the Seahawks (Week 16)
24/43
234 passing yards
0 TDs
1 Int
61.6 Passer Rating
7 rushes
23 yards
9 offensive points scored

Wolford vs. the Cardinals
22/38
231 passing yards
0 TDs
1 Int
64.7 Passer Rating
6 rushes
56 yards
9 offensive points scored

I will grant you that stats don't tell the entire story. I will grant you that Wolford's numbers are a tad better. But we all agree that Goff's performance against Seattle was bad. Yet, the dude was playing a defense that was absolutely dominant over the second half of the year and played a good chunk of the second half with a broken thumb. It blows my mind that people have no issue calling out Goff for his bad play but want to hold up Wolford's game as if it was a good or great performance.

I respect that Wolford delivered in a pivotal game. I understand that they were his first snaps. I agree that he shouldn't be held to the same standard that Goff is. But that's because I believe Goff to be the better player and option when healthy. Goff may still be too hurt to be our best option this weekend. If Wolford is the guy, I am going to hope for the best. But his performance against Arizona wasn't great. Even if you exclude his bad start, it was serviceable. Still, if he's serviceable and avoids turnovers, that might be enough for us to win.
I know you're trying to seek middle ground with this, and I admire you for it. Im just having a harder time letting it go. Lol
I like Wolford, and was excited by some his plays as much as anyone. But in comparing the Arizona and Seattle games, the biggest piece that gets missed is that Wolford did not put the Rams over the top, or even tie up the game. Even after the safety which made the score 7-5, he had 2 drives stall, both 3 and outs. It wasnt until the D scored the TD that they took the lead.
9 points scored by the D and a blocked FG would have worked wonders in the Seattle game too.
And though it wasnt a fumble, the Rams running game also left without a score at the 1 yard line, so if folks want to "credit" Wolford with a "almost" TD, then Goff should receive same....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That’s what we all want in a coach tho and I’m sure you realize I’m on the Goff side of the debate by now but I think everyone would agree McVay>Goff in terms of franchise importance and if McVay thinks Goff doesn’t give us the best chance to win any given Sunday ....I agree with him because who the fuck am I ?
youre-good-enoughyoure-smart-enough-and-doggone-itpeople-like-you.jpg

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy
15 pages and not one bit of analysis on tractors and trailers? People are going to have to try harder if they want to replace LA Champ.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well of course it’s possible it’s always possible. But I disagree with your assessment of there we’re coaching staffs and scouting departments that felt different and voila. That kinda insinuates those coaching staffs knew what they were getting with delhome, Garcia, and Romo when if fact they didn’t they caught lightening in a bottle and essentially hit the lottery.

Simply put, if there was a scouting department that disagreed Garcia was very unlikely to succeed why did he go undrafted?

if a coaching staff thought so highly of Tony romo why did he also go undrafted while Byron leftwitch, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, chris Simms, Seneca Wallace, Brian st. Pierre, Drew Henson, and even kliff kingsbury all get drafted? No one knew what they had in romo they stepped in shit and won the lottery.

Delhomme as well, if they knew what he was going to become he would have been drafted.

of course it’s possible Perkins shocks the world and becomes like the others mentioned but it is such a small percentage chance it happens and to think that him simply being on the Rams practice squad insinuates anything about how the Rams FO feels about him is off base IMO.

It doesn't insinuate that at all to me. It simply means someone saw something in this guys to give them a look and a chance. There are no guarantees for any incoming players. Drafted or undrafted.

And I mentioned how much attention the Rams gave Perkins in his own words compared to other teams. And how McVay mention his mobility in his sticking around over the other undrafted QB. From there he's all the sudden the 2021 starting QB it seems.

This thread simply makes too many mountains out of mole hills.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Let's see if this is lighter fluid or just murky water:

McVay knows Goff is Rams biggest impediment to winning Super Bowl — Nick | NFL | FIRST THINGS FIRST
Nick Wright & Brandon Marshall break down the latest for the Los Angeles Rams and Sean McVay's silence in naming a starting quarterback. Nick feels McVay knows Jared Goff is the Rams biggest impediment to winning the Super Bowl and is therefore scoping out other options.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U66n4WukMK4

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is where I disagree with how things are currently. We truly don’t know if Goff gives us a far better chance. He’s been garbage.
At times yet he was miles better than Wolford was against the same Arizona team and I’m not sure how a ybofy can be intellectually honest and argue otherwise. Without a functioning thumb against Seattle he threw the ball as well as Wolford.

JRobinson

MiLB
Wolford is better to start right now because Goff just had surgery and is still not recovered...which is why Wolford started. what’s your point?
Just disagree. There is no point. Goff doesn’t give me any more confidence than Wolford does right now. Give me Wolford, even if Goff is healthy.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It doesn't insinuate that at all to me. It simply means someone saw something in this guys to give them a look and a chance. There are no guarantees for any incoming players. Drafted or undrafted.

And I mentioned how much attention the Rams gave Perkins in his own words compared to other teams. And how McVay mention his mobility in his sticking around over the other undrafted QB. From there he's all the sudden the 2021 starting QB it seems.

This thread simply makes too many mountains out of mole hills.

The entire thread should be locked and deleted.

Anyone interested in a playoff game against Green Bay? Might turn out to be a pretty good matchup.