Per source to Jourdan Rodrigue on Oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Check out her article at the Athletic for more deets. But the gist of it is, they want more "sand-in-the-pants" at center, more power there and felt that any rookie would need a redshirt...

and think they already have 5 good starters in:

Whit-Edwards-Corbett-Evans-Havenstein

GASP!

Some of yous were right!

She's got some other good nuggets in there!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Check out her article at the Athletic for more deets. But the gist of it is, they want more "sand-in-the-pants" at center, more power there and felt that any rookie would need a redshirt...

GASP!

Some of yous were right!

She's got some other good nuggets in there!

Not a fan of Evans yet, not starting at RG. I'll be happier if it's Anchrum or Brewer, but I reserve the right to change my mind following the pre-season games. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, that makes sense to me. I figured that Corbett would make sense for the transition after we acquired Stafford. With an older QB, it's not as important to have a Center who is great at calling the protections. Corbett is a strong, athletic dude for the position. It'll be interesting to see if Anchrum or Brewer push Evans out of the starting job. Bobby can run block with the best of them, but he has been an iffy pass protector.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not a fan of Evans yet, not starting at RG. I'll be happier if it's Anchrum or Brewer, but I reserve the right to change my mind following the pre-season games. jmo.
Tremayne Anchrum likely to get a good shot per McVay after the draft same with Brewer.

fearsomefour

Legend
Left side is solid.
Cornett at C will have to wait and see.
Evans can dominate in the run game at G but he is pass pro was a mess.
But.....if Evans can handle the pass blocking him and Havenstein will be a physical force running the ball.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah sounds like they're high on Anchrum to take one of the G spots but per Jourdan's source, the 5 best at start of spring workouts are those 5 at those spots.

Lot can happen between spring workouts and end of TC.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
(They) think they already have 5 good starters in:
Some of yous were right!
That does sound familiar.

Oh yeah.... I know where I've heard that.... I've been saying that all along.

I still have to admit I'm surprised they didn't pick up a couple of O lineman in the late rounds.

They may decide to pick up a developmental player from other teams last round cuts.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Yea makes sense when earlier in the off-season McVay seemed against starting a rookie at C. If this is our starting 5, we still have good depth behind with Noteboom, Anchrum, Shelton, and Brewer. Given his excitement specifically around the last two and all the great things we've heard about Anchrum recently..that gives us 9 solid lineman. That's good depth. Now throw in tweedle dee and tweedle dum (Allen and Demby) and we have two more emergency backups. Hopefully Allen can salvage his career and become a decent player, but even if these two keep sucking we still seem to be fine on paper. And honestly having more strength at center with Corbett will be a welcomed sight after the last couple years.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Best case scenario is that Corbett works at center and Anchrum and Brewer really show this year, maybe not as starter but as guys who can take over for the inevitable contract turnover next year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah, that makes sense to me. I figured that Corbett would make sense for the transition after we acquired Stafford. With an older QB, it's not as important to have a Center who is great at calling the protections. Corbett is a strong, athletic dude for the position. It'll be interesting to see if Anchrum or Brewer push Evans out of the starting job. Bobby can run block with the best of them, but he has been an iffy pass protector.
I am guessing we will see Corbett and maybe Noteboom get extensions this summer. Can get them a bit cheaper that way. At worst Noteboom is a solid swing T that can play OG as well. And at best he can be your LT for at least a few years after Whit retires.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am disappointed that they didn’t take one of the higher rated Centers or Guards. I’d have been very happy with a guy like Kendrick Green.

But the toughest part to swallow is using their first pick on a guy who is smaller than me. He better be amazingly fast because he literally will be running to save his career on every play. There is so much risk to that pick.

If not for Atwell’s size the lack of any Olinemen being drafted is a much easier pill to swallow.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am guessing we will see Corbett and maybe Noteboom get extensions this summer. Can get them a bit cheaper that way. At worst Noteboom is a solid swing T that can play OG as well. And at best he can be your LT for at least a few years after Whit retires.
I’ve seen enough of Noteboom at Guard. It’s ugly. But maybe that’s the plan. With limited playing time and much of it being bad he won’t be heavily pursued in free agency and he won’t cost much to retain.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good to hear that confirmation. From there we are arguing over depth. Which is still important but knowing that makes me feel better, i.e. that they're not high on Allen.

But the impending FAs still matter too. They're still making this harder on themselves IMO. If Corbs kills it at Center he's gonna be hard to keep. Same goes for Shelton or Allen if by some miracle either of those clowns wins the job and plays well. Drafting a Center would have been smart IMO even if it's a project.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Good to hear that confirmation. From there we are arguing over depth. Which is still important but knowing that makes me feel better, i.e. that they're not high on Allen.

But the impending FAs still matter too. They're still making this harder on themselves IMO. If Corbs kills it at Center he's gonna be hard to keep. Same goes for Shelton or Allen if by some miracle either of those clowns wins the job and plays well. Drafting a Center would have been smart IMO even if it's a project.

No doubt. I think both scenarios are true. We prob weren't gonna draft a starter out of the guys available to us in the draft but I'm sure there must have been some guys who they liked and could have redshirted a year that they either missed having the prospect fall to them or got too cute with trading down and missed them.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I’ve seen enough of Noteboom at Guard. It’s ugly. But maybe that’s the plan. With limited playing time and much of it being bad he won’t be heavily pursued in free agency and he won’t cost much to retain.
No, he's an OT, just saying in a pinch he can play OG in an emergency. Not a bad trait to have.

dang

Legend
I am disappointed that they didn’t take one of the higher rated Centers or Guards. I’d have been very happy with a guy like Kendrick Green.

But the toughest part to swallow is using their first pick on a guy who is smaller than me. He better be amazingly fast because he literally will be running to save his career on every play. There is so much risk to that pick.

If not for Atwell’s size the lack of any Olinemen being drafted is a much easier pill to swallow.
I understand any OC rookie would have to redshirt but Humphrey sure had the look of an outstanding OC prospect for the next 8+ years.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm ok with whatever they decide. At this point they know best but what irks me is they are willing to add all the bells and whistles the toys so to speak for Stafford. He needs this he needs that he needs a deep threat....ok but none of those will mean shit if your assesment of the offensive line is wrong. The rams I feel will be competing for a while I hope so anyway but you didn't acquire Watson you acquired Stafford age 33 and been battered bruised and abused for years. I've said about a dozen times best be sure the blocking is better than average to get the best out of him. If you could sign a strong vet please do it just in case. I love mcsnead and I'm a rams fan I don't want this to blow up in their and our face.