Per source to Jourdan Rodrigue on Oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am in the minority, but I like Corbett's game and his chances to stick at center. He has a nastiness about him that I think will work well there.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The Rams OL was NOT a disaster last year, but the Center position became a glaring issue. Not addressing it in the draft when there were players there, was IMO, a mistake. Sliding Corbett over means we don’t have anybody to step up at that position.

Ok, so we give Evans a shot at guard. What happens next year when we have several contracts up and possibly a retirement? Do the Rams currently have THAT much depth in training?

It didn’t look like Snead drafted for “next year” like he has been doing, so I guess that means we DO have that much talent in waiting. Hmm.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm ok with whatever they decide. At this point they know best but what irks me is they are willing to add all the bells and whistles the toys so to speak for Stafford. He needs this he needs that he needs a deep threat....ok but none of those will mean shit if your assesment of the offensive line is wrong. The rams I feel will be competing for a while I hope so anyway but you didn't acquire Watson you acquired Stafford age 33 and been battered bruised and abused for years. I've said about a dozen times best be sure the blocking is better than average to get the best out of him. If you could sign a strong vet please do it just in case. I love mcsnead and I'm a rams fan I don't want this to blow up in their and our face.
The thing is the Rams already were right about their offensive line. Even the most staunch offensive line supporters last year were a little nervous about them bringing back the exact same group and yet they looked 10-fold better than they did the year before and the Rams went 10 and 6. I don't know why anybody expected them to replace those guys. Maybe Center, I get that. But even still it seems like they have a center in mind that they would rather have than a rookie.

McVay's scheme helps offensive lines. It's been that way since he got here with the heavy rollouts, the loads of play action, and the wide receiver / running back screens. Stafford also helps offensive lines because he has the ability to play off script which is something that golf was criticized for not being able to do. It's also something that the NFL is starting to change to. So there's going to be plenty of room for improvement just on some of those elements.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams OL was NOT a disaster last year, but the Center position became a glaring issue. Not addressing it in the draft when there were players there, was IMO, a mistake. Sliding Corbett over means we don’t have anybody to step up at that position.

Ok, so we give Evans a shot at guard. What happens next year when we have several contracts up and possibly a retirement? Do the Rams currently have THAT much depth in training?

It didn’t look like Snead drafted for “next year” like he has been doing, so I guess that means we DO have that much talent in waiting. Hmm.
College football runs so many spread offenses that offensive linemen usually come into the NFL behind the curve. I believe that there was zero chance that the Rams were actually going to start a rookie center in a championship window.

And a lot of people aren't going to like what I'm about to say but expect a lot of these offensive linemen to be re-signed next year as well. Whitworths replacement is going to be noteboom or Evan's. I expect that they'll re-sign Corbett And if Anchrum wins the starting guard position they'll likely let David Edwards walk which will leave us one spot to fill. That all depends on how well they play this season of course.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's obvious now that McSnead think they already have a better center than any they could have drafted. Who that is remains to be seen. I can't wait to attend TC and see the OL play out.

Everyone keeps throwing Evan's name out there as a starter but I'm putting my money on Anchrum or Brewer cracking the starting lineup before Evans. and Edwards isn't going anywhere but starter at LG.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A little bit better pocket presence will make an O Line look a lot better too.

It’s not like McVay and Sneed don’t want the offense to work. And it makes sense if they like the 11 or so guys they have not to spend a pick on a guy not likely to make the team. (Although I have questions on how many WRs / TEs we will roster)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am in the minority, but I like Corbett's game and his chances to stick at center. He has a nastiness about him that I think will work well there.
Same here. I actually think Corbett is a good lesson for why the Rams operate on the offensive line the way they do. The browns absolutely gave up on Corbett right away when he just needed a couple of years to get his feet under him. If the Rams drafted offensive line this year the chances are they wouldn't flourish or see their ascension until about 2023. That doesn't even match up with the Rams window right now.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's obvious now that McSnead think they have a better center than any they could have drafted. Who that is remains to be seen. I can't wait to attend TC and see the OL play out.
I live all the way in Maryland so I won't be able to go but the idea that people are going to be able to attend training camp makes me so happy. I'm going to go to so many football games this year lol

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I live all the way in Maryland so I won't be able to go but the idea that people are going to be able to attend training camp makes me so happy. I'm going to go to so many football games this year lol
What part of MD?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hasn't been said yet where TC will be, Northridge or Irvine. No matter, I plan to attend every practice open to the public. (and maybe sneak a look at one or two NOT). There's going to be a lot position battles and surprises.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When DeSean was drafted he was measured at 5'9 / 165lbs at the combine. Tutu is 5'9/ 160lbs right now so its pretty much identical. Yes he's small, but he's electric not only with the ball in his hands but down the field deep. His hands are impressive too he makes a lot of catches in traffic which surprised me given his size. I think with NFL weight training and a professional nutrition program he should be closer to 170lbs by season start.
The guys on ESPN said Tutu weighed 149 at his pro day. My 8 thgrade son weighs 175 with very little fat on him. No way I would want him playing receiver in the NFL.

Hopefully Atwell can add some muscle and hopefully it doesn’t slow him down. Very few of this small thin guys can repeat what they did in college.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The thing is the Rams already were right about their offensive line. Even the most staunch offensive line supporters last year were a little nervous about them bringing back the exact same group and yet they looked 10-fold better than they did the year before and the Rams went 10 and 6. I don't know why anybody expected them to replace those guys. Maybe Center, I get that. But even still it seems like they have a center in mind that they would rather have than a rookie.

McVay's scheme helps offensive lines. It's been that way since he got here with the heavy rollouts, the loads of play action, and the wide receiver / running back screens. Stafford also helps offensive lines because he has the ability to play off script which is something that golf was criticized for not being able to do. It's also something that the NFL is starting to change to. So there's going to be plenty of room for improvement just on some of those elements.
Depth. Unless they think they can resign the upcoming free agents. They said it takes a year to get up to speed. So they will be in a position that they have to play rookies at some point in the future. It’s contradictory.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
But the toughest part to swallow is using their first pick on a guy who is smaller than me. He better be amazingly fast because he literally will be running to save his career on every play. There is so much risk to that pick.

If not for Atwell’s size the lack of any Olinemen being drafted is a much easier pill to swallow.
According to everything I've read, he's blazing fast. Maybe the fastest in the draft. And there were some comments "the Rams drafted Desean Jackson, Jr". I looked up Dj's draft profile and he wasn't much bigger than Tutu. There were some who had him listed at 5'11", others at 5'9". Some had him listed at 169 lbs, some had him lighter.

I also checked out Tyreek Hill's profile.....5'10", 184 lbs (I don't see that weight but I could be wrong)

Tutu 5'9" 155 lbs.

We'll see.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to everything I've read, he's blazing fast. Maybe the fastest in the draft. And there were some comments "the Rams drafted Desean Jackson, Jr". I looked up Dj's draft profile and he wasn't much bigger than Tutu. There were some who had him listed at 5'11", others at 5'9". Some had him listed at 169 lbs, some had him lighter.

I also checked out Tyreek Hill's profile.....5'10", 184 lbs (I don't see that weight but I could be wrong)

Tutu 5'9" 155 lbs.

We'll see.

the funny thing is the rams board had a meltdown when they picked donnie avery instead of djax way back when.

now it had a meltdown again when they picked almost the same exact player.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depth. Unless they think they can resign the upcoming free agents. They said it takes a year to get up to speed. So they will be in a position that they have to play rookies at some point in the future. It’s contradictory.
I think they'll re-sign most of their current reserves and starters. If Corbett and Evans or edwards works out and you have Noteboom who has looked okay. Why not keep 2 of those guys next year ?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s puzzling to think Mcvay could watch Evans performance last year vs Green Bay and conclude he would make a great starting guard for us.

It’s like a repeat of the overconfidence they had in Noteboom at guard last year.

Maybe Anchrum or Shelton can win the job.

Evans pass blocking will be a massive liability, unless he was visited by the magic blocking fairy in the offseason.

We can cherry pick a bad game to mean anything.

By that logic:

Floyd was invisible, re-signing him was a mistake. Ramsey and Williams got torched, so we should have replaced them.

I doubt were relying solely on Evans anyways - that guard spot will be ab open competition between four or five players

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I bet we do re-sign both Corbett and Noteboom. Maybe even before the season.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I do find this funny that the Rams had to address the fan base via this "anonymous source" after the majority of the fans shit all over their draft...

Thats what they get for putting that bootlicking portrait of Goodell in the background...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do find this funny that the Rams had to address the fan base via this "anonymous source" after the majority of the fans shit all over their draft...

Thats what they get for putting that bootlicking portrait of Goodell in the background...

Or for those that have a subscription to The Athletic, we just know that Jordan has been harping on the OL for months - so more likely she asked someone.