Per source to Jourdan Rodrigue on Oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Sounds like we're going with Corbett at Center. I'm willing to bet that Allen and Shelton does not beat him out. For guard, however, are there any cheap FAs out there that we can sign as an OG that could be an upgrade over what's in house?
I think they're even smarter than that.
I think what they did was they looked at offensive line REALLY heavy this year and they're going to pick up one or two players that are last second cuts on other teams that were rookies.

Players that teams were trying to sneak through waivers so they can put them on their practice squad and then we'll snap them up and put them on our 53.

They almost have to take seriously developing some O line talent because, as pointed out, a lot of contracts expire this year.

I would imagine Corbett and Edwards might be signed during the season to longer-term contracts.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I find the whole I'm bigger/my son's bigger/my wife's bigger/my toddler's bigger narrative hilarious. Many of us know there's more to it than just pure size. Athletic ability, speed, moves, strength, leverage, processing the field, experience, toughness, pain management, other skills, other x-factors come to play a helluva lot more than just size. But yeah I get it, sizing others up is what humans, animals, reptiles, birds, and insects do. Oh and puppets... them too.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Certainly a lot to agree with in your post. I felt DE/edge, CB, AND Center were both future needs as well as replacements for offseason losses.

As for STs, no complaints with day 3 picks who can serve that purpose. Our STs were consistently the worse unit.

I just don’t understand passing on all of those other needs with your first pick being WR and then failing to draft even one OL when we could be facing a mass exodus there next year too.

The good news is that there are still more avenues ahead for building the roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"One source with knowledge of those conversations believes that McVay and Carberry are looking to add a little sand-in-the-pants power to McVay’s trademark outside-zone system, which in part would mean getting a bit bulkier at center (and clearly was part of the reason the front office was cool with sticking to a low, salary-cap-friendly offer to former starter Austin Blythe, who actually chose instead to sign in Kansas City for slightly cheaper this spring … aside from the fact that they were up against a shrunken cap, of course).

The source believes that, as things currently stand entering spring workouts, the Rams feel their best five players — from left to right — are longtime left tackle Andrew Whitworth, guard David Edwards, center (!!) Austin Corbett, who the Rams initially avoided putting at center to the point of starting Blythe there because they felt Corbett was better at guard (and played full-time guard last year after a strong showing there in 2019), Bobby Evans and Rob Havenstein. " Per source By Jourdan Rodrigue -- The Athletic May 1, 2021
Looking at the above it seems pretty clear that they wanted to make room for Evans. That allows Boom to be the swing OT/OG and first guy off the bench. And at Center Allen and Shelton duke it out for backup duties.

Still would have been nice to add a Center but I do get where they're coming from. I just hope that strat holds up come the playoffs.

nighttrain

Legend
Sounds like we're going with Corbett at Center. I'm willing to bet that Allen and Shelton does not beat him out. For guard, however, are there any cheap FAs out there that we can sign as an OG that could be an upgrade over what's in house?
dont know about cheap, but Warfield out there last i knew
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ya think a team that took Creed had their "Eyes wide open"?
tenor.gif

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The thing is the Rams already were right about their offensive line. Even the most staunch offensive line supporters last year were a little nervous about them bringing back the exact same group and yet they looked 10-fold better than they did the year before and the Rams went 10 and 6. I don't know why anybody expected them to replace those guys. Maybe Center, I get that. But even still it seems like they have a center in mind that they would rather have than a rookie.

McVay's scheme helps offensive lines. It's been that way since he got here with the heavy rollouts, the loads of play action, and the wide receiver / running back screens. Stafford also helps offensive lines because he has the ability to play off script which is something that golf was criticized for not being able to do. It's also something that the NFL is starting to change to. So there's going to be plenty of room for improvement just on some of those elements.

I understand that and agree but for what's invested into Stafford for giving Goff up which I'm ok with for us I'm just saying I hope they are right on there assessment.
Also there is time yet but could it hurt to have a veteran on hand just incase.

Lastly I know Stafford is excellent at playing off script but the key there is how often he needs to be off script so if their assessment is wrong then Stafford playing off script "X" pint of time as opposed to "Y" makes a difference.
I trust them and I know I'm a worry wart and there job is not to appease me/us but I've seen this happen all to often. Look at the cowboys they had a masher of a line one of the best a couple of injuries a sudden retirement and dak who is pretty good off script and a truck is running around like a chicken without a head.
I agree with you 100% maybe it's just my worry wart fandom lol.
One veteran pleasssssssssssse???? Can I have that and Geno Atkins and Ingram and Kwon lmao then I can sleep better!!!
Kidding but one can dream

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I find the whole I'm bigger/my son's bigger/my wife's bigger/my toddler's bigger narrative hilarious. Many of us know there's more to it than just pure size. Athletic ability, speed, moves, strength, leverage, processing the field, experience, toughness, pain management, other skills, other x-factors come to play a helluva lot more than just size. But yeah I get it, sizing others up is what humans, animals, reptiles, birds, and insects do. Oh and puppets... them too.
But my dad IS bigger than your dad.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought when I listened to the interview he added Corbett to Allen and Shelton's names not singled him out. That in itself is nice because so far this offseason he's only listed Allen and Shelton when talking about centers. As a Clemson homer I love Anchrum though.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
"One source with knowledge of those conversations believes that McVay and Carberry are looking to add a little sand-in-the-pants power to McVay’s trademark outside-zone system, which in part would mean getting a bit bulkier at center (and clearly was part of the reason the front office was cool with sticking to a low, salary-cap-friendly offer to former starter Austin Blythe, who actually chose instead to sign in Kansas City for slightly cheaper this spring … aside from the fact that they were up against a shrunken cap, of course).

The source believes that, as things currently stand entering spring workouts, the Rams feel their best five players — from left to right — are longtime left tackle Andrew Whitworth, guard David Edwards, center (!!) Austin Corbett, who the Rams initially avoided putting at center to the point of starting Blythe there because they felt Corbett was better at guard (and played full-time guard last year after a strong showing there in 2019), Bobby Evans and Rob Havenstein. " Per source By Jourdan Rodrigue -- The Athletic May 1, 2021
If that's truly the case, should have drafted Creed Humphrey. That pick would have also provided a bit more depth for center if they really wanted to still start Corbett.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It's obvious now that McSnead think they already have a better center than any they could have drafted. Who that is remains to be seen. I can't wait to attend TC and see the OL play out.

Everyone keeps throwing Evan's name out there as a starter but I'm putting my money on Anchrum or Brewer cracking the starting lineup before Evans. and Edwards isn't going anywhere but starter at LG.
You nailed it there, bubba. I’m in comp agreement with your take.

I’m really looking forward to those camp reports, man. Thanks in advance.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One of my mottos is;
I'll try anything once.

With a woman.

I would also not recommend dressing up as Batman and jumping from the dresser onto the bed, where you damsel in distress awaits....Not communicating I've done this before, but just not recommending it.