Per source to Jourdan Rodrigue on Oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams OL was NOT a disaster last year, but the Center position became a glaring issue. Not addressing it in the draft when there were players there, was IMO, a mistake. Sliding Corbett over means we don’t have anybody to step up at that position.

Ok, so we give Evans a shot at guard. What happens next year when we have several contracts up and possibly a retirement? Do the Rams currently have THAT much depth in training?

It didn’t look like Snead drafted for “next year” like he has been doing, so I guess that means we DO have that much talent in waiting. Hmm.

DJax, Kiser, SJD, and Williams may all be gone next year - we drafted their replacements with our first four picks.

Many have been concerned about TE, and our special teams were horrific last year, so then we drafted a developmental TE/ST player. Those were all our picks on the first four rounds.

The pick of Brown in the 5th provides depth this year while preparing for A'Shawn/SJD to leave.

Those six picks were clearly all future need type picks, but double as either rotational guys this year and/or special teams contributors.

The 7th round guys were all special teams, but all are probably going to head to the practice squad unless they come in and amaze.

Retaining Corbett will go a long way toward solidifying our OL beyond this year, so I'd imagine that's the next highest priority.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The Rams OL was NOT a disaster last year, but the Center position became a glaring issue. Not addressing it in the draft when there were players there, was IMO, a mistake.
I would have preferred Creed Humphrey at 57; and was hoping for Drew Dalman at 117 but he went three picks earlier.

Outside of Humphrey, I can’t think of an OL I wished the Rams had taken at a specific spot. Several went earlier than I had hoped.

Which OL, at which spots, would you have liked to see them draft instead of the player taken?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
According to everything I've read, he's blazing fast. Maybe the fastest in the draft. And there were some comments "the Rams drafted Desean Jackson, Jr". I looked up Dj's draft profile and he wasn't much bigger than Tutu. There were some who had him listed at 5'11", others at 5'9". Some had him listed at 169 lbs, some had him lighter.

I also checked out Tyreek Hill's profile.....5'10", 184 lbs (I don't see that weight but I could be wrong)

Tutu 5'9" 155 lbs.

We'll see.
My son and I are Cal fans and after one game Vs ... I think it was Ore. St., we went down to the tunnel to greet the players as they left the field. My son was a sophmore in HS at the time. He was 5'10". Djax stopped and talked with us for awhile. At that time, Cal was listing him as 6' tall. My son standing right next to him, was taller than him and DJax was sooo damn skinny! Muscular, but very thin.
It never affected his game though. So Just have to wait and see on Tutu.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

i think it's obvious mcvay and snead blamed all the oline woes on goff.

i've never seen a hc and gm throw their qb under the bus so willingly as they did once the season was over.

they both think once stafford is behind centre everything will work itself out.

I agree with this in part kurt. But they did let the worst player on the OL go in spite of high PFF grades and a commensurate groundswell of support for retaining him. It was kind of weirdsville to see so much hand wringing over a guy who was so terrible.

Or for those that have a subscription to The Athletic, we just know that Jordan has been harping on the OL for months - so more likely she asked someone.
Yes and she predicted 3x OL in this draft at one point. I'm like "Welcome to the Rams Jourdan." :ROFLMAO:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I find it kind of telling when both Staley and Holmes do the exact opposite of what we have done in our drafts. Both grabbed oline men with their first pick. They need it a little more but we are one injury away from 2019 play, and our offense has never been the same after 2018.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It'll be interesting to see if Anchrum or Brewer push Evans out of the starting job. Bobby can run block with the best of them, but he has been an iffy pass protector.

Agree here, Evans great run blocker and actually when he played RT for Havenstein, he held up okay in pass protection, however, with plenty of help from the tight ends. Brewer could be the wildcard because in preseason of 2019, he seemed very good in pass protection, hopefully, Evans evolves because he & Big Rob could make for an outstanding combo in the run game.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I would have preferred Creed Humphrey at 57; and was hoping for Drew Dalman at 117 but he went three picks earlier.

Outside of Humphrey, I can’t think of an OL I wished the Rams had taken at a specific spot. Several went earlier than I had hoped.

Which OL, at which spots, would you have liked to see them draft instead of the player taken?

Like you, I was hoping for Humphrey; but to be honest, I’m not sure I would’ve pulled the trigger at 57. If we hadn’t traded our next pick, we could’ve taken meinerz.

I thought the Rams might grab a DE/edge guy or CB at 57. I liked 2 guys who were there in Ossai (Texas) or ona O (UCLA).
...but a WR?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a fan of Evans yet, not starting at RG. I'll be happier if it's Anchrum or Brewer, but I reserve the right to change my mind following the pre-season games. jmo.

Evans is a road grader, however, pass protection a work in progress. I'm hoping Bobby answers the call here, he played both LT & RT at Oklahoma so he has had success and did a solid job filling in for Havenstein at RT and might be one of if not the best run blocker of the group.

1619968162654.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's obvious now that McSnead think they already have a better center than any they could have drafted. Who that is remains to be seen. I can't wait to attend TC and see the OL play out.

Everyone keeps throwing Evan's name out there as a starter but I'm putting my money on Anchrum or Brewer cracking the starting lineup before Evans. and Edwards isn't going anywhere but starter at LG.
Not really that obvious...they are presuming they can fill the positions easily because they have little regard for the interior Oline. They would rather draft skill position players and make do with scrub players from the 7th round or UDFA’s for the Oline. It’s time to start drafting guys with more premium picks on the Oline and develop them into all pros, rather than developing marginal guys into barely competent starters while relying on the roll outs to save their marginal asses.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Like you, I was hoping for Humphrey; but to be honest, I’m not sure I would’ve pulled the trigger at 57. If we hadn’t traded our next pick, we could’ve taken meinerz.

I thought the Rams might grab a DE/edge guy or CB at 57. I liked 2 guys who were there in Ossai (Texas) or ona O (UCLA).
...but a WR?
Thanks for being specific.

It's reasonable to be critical of draft decisions but I think posters should state what they would have preferred the Rams to have done.

Was not thinking WR either; and thought Atwell was a reach at #57. However, also believe that McVay really wants to get the ball down-field in 2021.

Have taped and re-watched most Rams games from last season, and they really did not stretch-the-field. Believe there were several reasons ... play-calling, Goff's arm, OL and WR-speed. Liked the DeSean Jackson signing but I don't think Jackson has played 16 games since his rookie season. An alternative deep-threat may well be a huge need. Should Jackson work-out but then miss time due to injury, another option will be needed.

Guess I see Woods, Kupp and Jefferson rotating as the primary top-two-WRs, with Jackson and Atwell sharing the deep-option role; and a lot more three-WR-sets like 2017, 2018 and the first-half of 2019.

dang

Legend
DJax, Kiser, SJD, and Williams may all be gone next year - we drafted their replacements with our first four picks.

Many have been concerned about TE, and our special teams were horrific last year, so then we drafted a developmental TE/ST player. Those were all our picks on the first four rounds.

The pick of Brown in the 5th provides depth this year while preparing for A'Shawn/SJD to leave.

Those six picks were clearly all future need type picks, but double as either rotational guys this year and/or special teams contributors.

The 7th round guys were all special teams, but all are probably going to head to the practice squad unless they come in and amaze.

Retaining Corbett will go a long way toward solidifying our OL beyond this year, so I'd imagine that's the next highest priority.
Excellent write up. I actually feel better after reading it. I do believe they drafted Funk as a potential ST contributor. I also hope they add a couple FAs especially at CB.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
When he’s got to drop back and read the defense and pick a team apart, that is where this team and that is where Jared Goff struggles-- Staffords rocket arm and quick thinking fixes o-line.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When he’s got to drop back and read the defense and pick a team apart, that is where this team and that is where Jared Goff struggles-- Staffords rocket arm and quick thinking fixes o-line.
From your mouth to God's ears.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Though I'm never overly critical of a draft like some are, the whole redshirt thing is foolish. Building/maintaining a football team should be part win now and part win later. I don't buy the redshirt excuse at all. Before you know it, the Rams would have a quality C with a year TC, etc under his belt and that much more ready to start in 2022. Heck they're doing the future thing with WRs, why not OL? Just one top dawg could give them that much more in terms of building a great solid line for the future. Happy with the ones we have they say, but they don't show that with WRs. Hope this doesn't bite later.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Our offensive line last year was actually pretty highly-rated, though I didn't agree that it was rated as highly is PFF rated it.

Edwards and Corbett should be that much better this year to add to borderline pro bowlers Whitworth and Havenstein.

I'm still thinking they slide Corbett over and put Evans in at his guard spot to get the best five on the field who have the most experience.

But yeah, definitely the biggest upgrade to our o-line will be Stafford's reads and quick release.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Sounds like we're going with Corbett at Center. I'm willing to bet that Allen and Shelton does not beat him out. For guard, however, are there any cheap FAs out there that we can sign as an OG that could be an upgrade over what's in house?

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Our offensive line last year was actually pretty highly-rated, though I didn't agree that it was rated as highly is PFF rated it.

Edwards and Corbett should be that much better this year to add to borderline pro bowlers Whitworth and Havenstein.

I'm still thinking they slide Corbett over and put Evans in at his guard spot to get the best five on the field who have the most experience.

But yeah, definitely the biggest upgrade to our o-line will be Stafford's reads and quick release.
"One source with knowledge of those conversations believes that McVay and Carberry are looking to add a little sand-in-the-pants power to McVay’s trademark outside-zone system, which in part would mean getting a bit bulkier at center (and clearly was part of the reason the front office was cool with sticking to a low, salary-cap-friendly offer to former starter Austin Blythe, who actually chose instead to sign in Kansas City for slightly cheaper this spring … aside from the fact that they were up against a shrunken cap, of course).

The source believes that, as things currently stand entering spring workouts, the Rams feel their best five players — from left to right — are longtime left tackle Andrew Whitworth, guard David Edwards, center (!!) Austin Corbett, who the Rams initially avoided putting at center to the point of starting Blythe there because they felt Corbett was better at guard (and played full-time guard last year after a strong showing there in 2019), Bobby Evans and Rob Havenstein. " Per source By Jourdan Rodrigue -- The Athletic May 1, 2021