Over My Dead Body

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
OK. Good for you. Do you speak for all Native Americans because you're one person who is part Native American?

"I'm not offended so nobody else should be" is not a viable argument.

Nope, sure don't speak for everyone. Never said I did.
But then that's not really the issue.

Unlike you I believe in freedom and private property rights.
That's the issue.

Not some straw man argument that someone somewhere might be offended, so let's just sit still and let someone's private property rights be violated.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Nope, sure don't speak for everyone. Never said I did.
But then that's not really the issue.

Unlike you I believe in freedom and private property rights.
That's the issue.

Not some straw man argument that someone somewhere might be offended, so let's just sit still and let someone's private property rights be violated.
If that's not the point then why did you bother to tell us that you are part Native American? If you're not trying to imply that your heritage combined with your lack of caring about those things means that Native Americans generally don't or shouldn't then why make the statement? If you want to talk property rights that's one thing, but don't backtrack on the first point you made - make it.

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
This country has become so over-sensitive it is ridiculous. There is a growing faction of witch-hunters out there that just can't wait to point the finger at anybody and cry "insensitive, insensitive, you're insensitive, look everybody, he's insensitive, they offended somebody". The more it happens, the faster we go from being a free country that our forefathers fought for towards being communist.

And the term PC in a lot of it's context, was designed to not only allow people to lie and get away with it, but it was designed to make them look good doing it.

jjab360

Legend
Nah dude you get over characterizing people who disagree with you as ignorant
I never said those people are ignorant in general, just ignorant on this one particular subject. That is to say they are lacking in knowledge or experience on the subject as well as the informal definition of just being rude.

jjab360

Legend
This country has become so over-sensitive it is ridiculous. There is a growing faction of witch-hunters out there that just can't wait to point the finger at anybody and cry "insensitive, insensitive, you're insensitive, look everybody, he's insensitive, they offended somebody". The more it happens, the faster we go from being a free country that our forefathers fought for towards being communist.

And the term PC in a lot of it's context, was designed to not only allow people to lie and get away with it, but it was designed to make them look good doing it.
If people don't want to get called out for being a dick, then don't be a dick. I have no problem with people being sensitive about things like racism and homophobia, etc., sets a good example for our kids that that shit isn't cool.

tonyl711

Starter
OK. Good for you. Do you speak for all Native Americans because you're one person who is part Native American?

"I'm not offended so nobody else should be" is not a viable argument.
OK, good for you, do you speak for all native americans? since I have heard of native americans who sit on both sides of this issue, I would say you don't either. this offends some, so it offends all is also not a viable argument either.

tonyl711

Starter
I never said those people are ignorant in general, just ignorant on this one particular subject. That is to say they are lacking in knowledge or experience on the subject as well as the informal definition of just being rude.
is it not rude to call someone ignorant because they disagree with you? lacking in knowledge? really? why? because they think different than you do?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
OK, good for you, do you speak for all native americans? since I have heard of native americans who sit on both sides of this issue, I would say you don't either. this offends some, so it offends all is also not a viable argument either.
Nor is it one which I made. You don't have to offend everyone with a racial slur for it to be a bad idea to name a football team.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
You have so little information to base THIS statement upon it is astounding and you have UNWITTINGLY, I suppose, reissued the same insult towards those who disagree with you.
I further find your charge that peoples ideas emanate from this dark place "I know some people miss the days where they could ridicule and belittle another person" repugnant and unworthy of a civil discourse.

Are you really that ill equipped to discuss this without being that judgmental and needing to drag people instead of ideas into the argument?

It's just ironic that you seem to have to be offensive when deriding something you think needs to be changed because it's offensive in your mind,curious in deed.

And DID YOU really mean to say this? "If people don't want to get called out for being a dick, then don't be a dick"

Would you like to tell us who you are calling out for being a "dick"?

jjab360

Legend
You have so little information to base THIS statement upon it is astounding and you have UNWITTINGLY, I suppose, reissued the same insult towards those who disagree with you.
I further find your charge that peoples ideas emanate from this dark place "I know some people miss the days where they could ridicule and belittle another person" repugnant and unworthy of a civil discourse.

Are you really that ill equipped to discuss this without being that judgmental and needing to drag people instead of ideas into the argument?

It's just ironic that you seem to have to be offensive when deriding something you think needs to be changed because it's offensive in your mind,curious in deed.

And DID YOU really mean to say this? "If people don't want to get called out for being a dick, then don't be a dick"

Would you like to tell us who you are calling out for being a "dick"?
C'mon, thordaddy, don't be so sensitive, it's just words.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
is it not rude to call someone ignorant because they disagree with you? lacking in knowledge? really? why? because they think different than you do?
Don't know where that sort of thinking comes from ,it's a word used as an insult conventionally NOW not even PART of the time in some distant time ,if I tell someone they are ignorant ,I doubt they even give a second thought that it was a benign evaluation,isn't it ironic that here where speech is monitored and offensive language isn't a right someone would use that word and still expect to constrain free speech out in the real world ,alternate universe stuff there.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
C'mon, thordaddy, don't be so sensitive, it's just words.
And yet another personal attack, you really don't know how to discuss HERE do you?

BTW in the real world I'd fight for your right to say that, here not so much, it used to be that was the mantra agree or disagree I fight FOR YOUR right, now we band together to deny the right in the name of potential afront.

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
If people don't want to get called out for being a dick, then don't be a dick. I have no problem with people being sensitive about things like racism and homophobia, etc., sets a good example for our kids that that crap isn't cool.
When I was a kid none of those examples were set for me. I was offended and bullied all the time. And when I went to an adult for help, I was told, "Fight your own battles". Nobody felt sorry for me. So I learned to fight back. And I got the bullying to stop. On my own. And it made me a stronger person for it. If someone makes a joke about your heritage or your looks, or your preferences, throw a joke right back at them. Get over it, deal with it, and quit your crying.

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
Getting back to the issue at hand, the more congress sweats over the Redskins name issue, the less time they spend dreaming up ways to jack up our taxes. And I applaud Dan Snyder for taking the stand that he has. And I don't applaud him for much. Other than approving his GM to give up so many pick for RGIII.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One day while traveling through Bimigi Minnesota I stopped at a grocery store. Outside the store we 2 African American men. On my way out they went out of their way to get my attention and while sneering they called me 'Cracker'. I looked at them and laughed and continued on my way. The ridiculousness of it all was quite humorous.

Kids on the schol bus like to tease my rather sensitive Step-son. I taught him hat they are just words derived from ignorance and allowing the words to hurt him is what is causing the problem. After a few weeks he seems to understand.

However, if I know someone will be offended by a specific word then I refrain from using it....no matter how I view it. Many people cannot remove themselves from the irrational reaction to words. Am I being politically correct or just courteous and understanding?

The word Souix was actually what the enemies of the Lakota enemies called them. Seeing that it is so much more specific of a slur than Redskin, why was it not removed from High Schools and colleges long ago....especially in North Dakota?

In some ways words like Redskin and Souix help remind us of the past, both in good and bad ways. Replacing them with less familiar words may not have the same affect.

jjab360

Legend
When I was a kid none of those examples were set for me. I was offended and bullied all the time. And when I went to an adult for help, I was told, "Fight your own battles". Nobody felt sorry for me. So I learned to fight back. And I got the bullying to stop. On my own. And it made me a stronger person for it. If someone makes a joke about your heritage or your looks, or your preferences, throw a joke right back at them. Get over it, deal with it, and quit your crying.
If every time the world had a problem, nobody tried to fix it and they just suffered silently, nothing would ever get done. Just because you don't care enough to do anything I don't see why you have a problem those who actually do. And that "stronger person" mantra is bullshit. People are broken everyday due to bullying and some never recover even well into their adult lives.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
If every time the world had a problem, nobody tried to fix it and they just suffered silently, nothing would ever get done. Just because you don't care enough to do anything I don't see why you have a problem those who actually do. And that "stronger person" mantra is bullcrap. People are broken everyday due to bullying and some never recover even well into their adult lives.
But you see there is a problem with the solution much larger than the problem they seek to rectify , that's not progress.
That's the problem with advocacy groups they care not what damage they do in their mindless pursuit of tilting their windmill

jjab360

Legend
But you see there is a problem with the solution much larger than the problem they seek to rectify , that's not progress.
That's the problem with advocacy groups they care not what damage they do in their mindless pursuit of tilting their windmill
Discrimination is a pretty big problem. Are you trying to say that it's more important for people to have the right to discriminate if they want to?

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
If every time the world had a problem, nobody tried to fix it and they just suffered silently, nothing would ever get done. Just because you don't care enough to do anything I don't see why you have a problem those who actually do. And that "stronger person" mantra is bullshit. People are broken everyday due to bullying and some never recover even well into their adult lives.
I'm not saying nobody is trying to fix problems. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. I DID care enough about myself to do something about it, and I fixed it. And based on the will within myself, doing so gave me a much stronger self esteem, so don't tell me that the "stronger person" mantra is bullshit. It's not, I have lived it. You either stand up for yourself, or you look for someone to feel sorry for you. I chose the former.