OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've got a feeling that they're going to run with who they've got on the o-line this year, they're a young group of guys and I've heard McVay big up Hav, Barnes and Saffold, now I know that 'words' mean nothing in the offseason...

I'm just frustrated at the fact that we always seem to be the bridesmaids during offseason. We were excellent in getting our Coaching staff - I just wanted to hit FA with a bit of force.

I guess DeSean Jackson is still out there...

It's hard for me to believe after watching the film of this OL being incapable of run and pass blocking that they're just going to go with what we have.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I'm with you, having a legit VET would have been a massive upgrade / boost to our offense. Goff needs players outside to succeed.

I've got a feeling that they're going to run with who they've got on the o-line this year, they're a young group of guys and I've heard McVay big up Hav, Barnes and Saffold, now I know that 'words' mean nothing in the offseason...

I'm just frustrated at the fact that we always seem to be the bridesmaids during offseason. We were excellent in getting our Coaching staff - I just wanted to hit FA with a bit of force.

I guess DeSean Jackson is still out there...

DeSean Jackson, Pryor, Gordon, Smith, Woods... Some good / promising options still out there.

Also there's a few teams interested in Trumaine... I'm hearing Green Bay even! So there might be a few picks we can get for this draft.

We can even maybe package Trumaine with Barron + another for Gregg Williams and Cleveland... We can possibly nab their first and high second.

Lots of options that can turn into reality!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It's hard for me to believe after watching the film of this OL being incapable of run and pass blocking that they're just going to go with what we have.

It's one of the things I'm worried about tbh @jrry32 - I'd be happy with 3 new o-liners tbh, but I would have liked WR, OL & CB to be picked up this FA - it would make the draft easier IMHO.

I originally wanted
Garçon - WR
Whitworth OT (money depending)
Leary - OG
Tretter - C
Webster - CB

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
DeSean Jackson, Pryor, Gordon, Smith, Woods... Some good / promising options still out there.

Also there's a few teams interested in Trumaine... I'm hearing Green Bay even! So there might be a few picks we can get for this draft.

We can even maybe package Trumaine with Barron + another for Gregg Williams and Cleveland... We can possibly nab their first and high second.

Lots of options that can turn into reality!

I know there are options, I'm not sure I'd touch Gordon though Jackson & Pryor I could live with - I also like Woods, and wanted to draft him - but he's not a #1 caliber WR and has had some injuries too.

If we package up Tru and Barron, we're down more starting quality players - we need upgrades on other positions in my opinion - I trust Snead & McVay, I'm sure they're working away in the background - I'd just like to see some names step forward I guess.

Last time I moaned about our lack of action in FA - Snead and Fisher packed off Bradford!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay. So let's address the elephant in the room. What do we do if the Rams don't land any of Garcon, DeSean, Britt, Alshon, Pryor, Brandon Marshall, or Torrey Smith?

It puts us in somewhat of a bind, but I think there's a solid option out. I look to expand competition by using the second, third, and fourth tier FAs. What I would aim to do is bring in one possession WR and one deep threat WR from that group. The basic options would be:
Possession: Kamar Aiken, Robert Woods, Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams, and Stevie Johnson
Deep Threat: Markus Wheaton and Ted Ginn Jr.

I'd aim for a cheaper, short-term type deal.(except for Robert Woods) Michael Floyd is also an option. What scares me with Michael Floyd is that he seems unrepentant for his alcohol issues. Josh Gordon is also an option. And he might be a chance we have to take if we're put in this scenario (but again, I'm not counting on him to play).

If we go this direction, we'd need to draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. If we decide to go with only one FA WR, we'll need to draft two WRs in the first 4 rounds imo.

But it'll basically be looking to find role players who can fill a role. Personally, I think that works if you know what you want out of your scheme and can identify a talent that will play that role well. I am of the opinion that WR value is overstated.

Of course, we are putting ourselves in more of a bind because you're counting on talent that hasn't had a premier role to step up in that role. But if you look at guys like Aiken, Wright, and Johnson, when given a premier role, all produced pretty well. That gives me confidence that you can make it work.

However, this strategy is a lot less effective if we don't do anything to address our OL issues. Having reliable pass protection and a good running game to work off of can cover for a lack of premier talent at WR. But if we end up with poor pass protection and a bad rushing attack again, we're going to be in trouble.

Basically, if the Rams aren't going to prioritize WR (a defensible strategy), they need to prioritize other areas of the offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We aren't normally very active in the tier one market anyway, so I am not surprised or concerned, by the lack of chatter.

That said...

I'd feel better, if whatever FA strategy we have been using was translating to success on the field. Because of Fisher's lack of success there (on field success), we are an impatient fan base. McVay has a tough job here building confidence.

Stuff happens fast today, however. This should be fun.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
the elephant in the room is the reason why no wr wants to sign with the rams.
even kenny britt. so after not having a first rounder we also lose our best skil position guy.
we are getting even worse at wr, wich is pathetic.
and the reason is jared goff.

jap

Legend
Fisher's regime really screwed us in so many ways:
  • big contract to Tavon before he breaks out
  • failure to retain Jenks and failure to wrap up Tru with a reasonable (for FA's) contract
  • overall decline of a young OL from 2015 to 2016
  • failure to properly prep Jared for the big league
All of this is past - the return to glory will begin soon enough.

jjab360

Legend
Fisher's regime really screwed us in so many ways:
  • big contract to Tavon before he breaks out
  • failure to retain Jenks and failure to wrap up Tru with a reasonable (for FA's) contract
  • overall decline of a young OL from 2015 to 2016
  • failure to properly prep Jared for the big league
All of this is past - the return to glory will begin soon enough.
He didn't do us many favors but that's nothing compared to the decade of hell that Linehan set us up for.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just remember that in the back of everyone's mind should be the need to extend Aaron Donald. If they have cap space available it might be best used by using it on a roster / signing bonus for Donald to lower his future cap figure so they can keep him longterm.

Ram65

Legend
I was not counting on a big free agent signing. The signs so to speak were showing the prices going up and devaluing signing a big expensive free agent. It could be a combination of one expensive and some lesser cost players or just lesser cost players. Got to let it play out.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay. So let's address the elephant in the room. What do we do if the Rams don't land any of Garcon, DeSean, Britt, Alshon, Pryor, Brandon Marshall, or Torrey Smith?

It puts us in somewhat of a bind, but I think there's a solid option out. I look to expand competition by using the second, third, and fourth tier FAs. What I would aim to do is bring in one possession WR and one deep threat WR from that group. The basic options would be:
Possession: Kamar Aiken, Robert Woods, Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams, and Stevie Johnson
Deep Threat: Markus Wheaton and Ted Ginn Jr.

I'd aim for a cheaper, short-term type deal.(except for Robert Woods) Michael Floyd is also an option. What scares me with Michael Floyd is that he seems unrepentant for his alcohol issues. Josh Gordon is also an option. And he might be a chance we have to take if we're put in this scenario (but again, I'm not counting on him to play).

If we go this direction, we'd need to draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. If we decide to go with only one FA WR, we'll need to draft two WRs in the first 4 rounds imo.

But it'll basically be looking to find role players who can fill a role. Personally, I think that works if you know what you want out of your scheme and can identify a talent that will play that role well. I am of the opinion that WR value is overstated.

Of course, we are putting ourselves in more of a bind because you're counting on talent that hasn't had a premier role to step up in that role. But if you look at guys like Aiken, Wright, and Johnson, when given a premier role, all produced pretty well. That gives me confidence that you can make it work.

However, this strategy is a lot less effective if we don't do anything to address our OL issues. Having reliable pass protection and a good running game to work off of can cover for a lack of premier talent at WR. But if we end up with poor pass protection and a bad rushing attack again, we're going to be in trouble.

Basically, if the Rams aren't going to prioritize WR (a defensible strategy), they need to prioritize other areas of the offense.
I would love to get a second or third and Gordon for tru. Looks like we've whiffed on recievers so far. Time to make a calculated risk. I like floyd and woods too

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
even kenny britt. so after not having a first rounder we also lose our best skil position guy.
So the Rams offered contracts to those guys? Care to show links that say so?
Garcon signed with a team that doesn't even have a QB on its roster for god's sake

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

Lololol dude, just no on so many levels. Britt is all but certain to sign with Philly today. He's already telling his friends and family, as it's been reported. He no longer fits our culture, and even tho we don't have a "#1" right now, I'd rather roll with what we got than have him back. We will find other viable options.

Goff is not the problem so get over it. Money talks this time of year and right now, we simply do not want to allocate a big portion to an individual with the average amount we have to spend. I fully expect Tru to be traded today once Buoye signs (Jax) then you'll start seeing dominoes fall.

Patience

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sold Britt is really a legit WR. But I'm less concerned about the WRs. Get Goff some blocking.

We can go grab two of the cheaper options at WR and spend a second on a WR.(as well as another pick) But to do that, we need to address OL, OLB, and CB in FA.

Regardless, we're not crap out of luck if we don't get one of the top FA WRs.
I'm not sold on Britt either, but the fact remains that he now needs to be replaced.
I know its not fair to compare this year with years past, new regime/coaching staff and all. But it just feels like the same old story, we have needs and go in to free agency with high hopes and wind up merely re-signing some of our own guys and are left with justifying it. We needed o-line and wr help this off season, not one or the other. So while there is still hope to get the lineman we need, it seems most apparent that Tru cost us a WR