Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Of course we all see the OL differently. Lucas got reps at LT and RT and did well at both IMO.

Its going to come down to the last 3 pre season games. I don't think they know who they are going to keep yet,

I also think Blythe will be at LG in Browns place to open the season.

Allen Noteboom and Demby keep improving. Lucas and DWilliams need to step up if they want to make the team,

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Of course we all see the OL differently. Lucas got reps at LT and RT and did well at both IMO.

Its going to come down to the last 3 pre season games. I don't think they know who they are going to keep yet,

I also think Blythe will be at LG in Browns place to open the season.

Allen Noteboom and Demby keep improving. Lucas and DWilliams need to step up if they want to make the team,
You mean RG for Brown, me thinks. Yeah, we have Demby who can play either guard, or ORT, and Noteboom is emerging as our backup OLT, I think, whick could make both Williams, and Lucas expendable. I'd take Will, over Luc though.

Allen improved, even during the course of the game last week. I wanted Noteboom starting at that guard spot, but with the way it's looking rep wise, it sure does look like Blythe is the front runner now. We still have a couple games to shake things out. What impresses me, is that there will be some hard decisions. Demby might push some guys.

Great report today. Thank you, very much.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd take Will, over Luc though.

If they keep one over the other, that's a tough call. Under fire, Lucas played much better at RT then Williams at LT and Williams might have better feet, but he sure gets beat a ton. Right now I would cut both, but if Lucas showcases he can play, I might keep him, I do not see a scenario where the Rams keep Williams barring injury. They could try to trade for a veteran or just roll the dice that Noteboom would be ready if called upon or they would just slide Saffold over to LT, if something happen to Whitworth.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Went today to camp. This again is my take,plus I did watch the Ravens game.

My take is John Sullivan played with a lot of nasty & confidence.

Whit & Goff talk a lot. All last season Goff would check in with Whit & Sullivan on the sideline.

Roger Saffold opened up a nice whole for a Gurley TD !! Was solid, but did give up a sack on a blitz.

Brown was running with the 1’s , but I’m making the CALL Noteboom will start at RG
Game 1 !

Big Rob is getting more physical. Looked like he is starting to put it in another gear.

Noteboom at LT has been jumping way to many times.I think he starts at RG.He got a rep with the 1’s in place of Brown.

Lucas— did not get a lot of reps s today. I like his spirit, but I think he gets cut. Noteboom was taking most of the LT Reps & Williams at RT.

Williams- IMO - will make the 53 man roster. He does have a couple lapses, but has a good feel for the plays.He was getting both RT & LT Reps today. I’ve watched him a lot. My feel is The Rams have him making the team. I watched the Ravens game as well.He missed 2 blocks bad.—If I thought other wise I would say it. I was going down that path from some reports. I don’t agree with them at all.

Demby got personal work with Kromer JR. He kept working on his form for 5 minutes with a drill of grabbing & moving a DLman(shadow drill of form) to open a whole.He wanted him to keep his hands in tight with power & hands.
Demby got a lot of reps. Lg,LT.,RT,RG.

Allen is looking good He is a baller. He comes out & plays. RG & Center.

Austin Blythe goes unnoticed a lot. C & RG .

I’ll stop there,because those are the player Inthink make the squad.
Thanks for your take on these guys, I appreciate it.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Williams may make the roster. I think he's on the bubble. He's probably better than Lucas at this point, who I thought would have improved a little more this year. I agree, he probably gets cut. Still early. I never said Eldrencamp would make the roster. What I said, was that I thought that was the best combination, and most cohesive unit that played together in the game. He's OK, even though he started out shaky. Obviously, you can disagree, but that is my opinion. It was that group that helped bust some good runs.

You are really going out on a limb with Noteboom starting game 1. Lol. I have already said Noteboom may end up starting game 3, when Brown is eligible to come back. Or, in essence, I think he has a good shot of winning that spot. The only reason he won't start, IMO, is if they want him on the active roster as the swing tackle. They could still swap him out, however. Blythe, and Demby provide good competition here.
IF Notebloom starts at guard this year, and not because of injury, it will be one of hte bigggest surprises in my time watching 45 years of Rams ball---I say this based on watching his college tape. He looked to me as missing tenacity and strength in the tape I saw---2 of the most impt things for a guard. So, if he starts I would be sooooooo happy. It will make him a much better OLT in the future. He has very good feet, and I read he is very intelligent....so, that helps

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If they keep one over the other, that's a tough call. Under fire, Lucas played much better at RT then Williams at LT and Williams might have better feet, but he sure gets beat a ton. Right now I would cut both, but if Lucas showcases he can play, I might keep him, I do not see a scenario where the Rams keep Williams barring injury. They could try to trade for a veteran or just roll the dice that Noteboom would be ready if called upon or they would just slide Saffold over to LT, if something happen to Whitworth.
I thought they both struggled at opposite sides, similar to what you are saying. You just think that Lucas bad play on the opposite side, was not as bad, as Williams, on his oppo side. If Noteboom is better at OLT, and Demby is better at ORT, then??? I still think either one of those guys would be the dark horse to make the team. I think the other players who I thought would make the team, remain unchanged for me.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
IF Notebloom starts at guard this year, and not because of injury, it will be one of hte bigggest surprises in my time watching Rams ball---that is, after watching his college tape. He looked to me as missing tenacity and strength---2 of the most impt things for a guard. So, if he starts I would be sooooooo happy. It will make him a much better OLT in the future.
I predicted he would early, and I think he is one of the best 5 with Brown out, or maybe even in, but it would be a stretch for him to start there, without practicing there. Sometimes facts get in the way of feelings. You are right, he is more the OT type, no doubt.

Can't wait to see the next game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lucas is better at RT than Williams. My biggest knock on Williams is he gets beat and sometimes badly by speed rushers. Lucas at least gets hands on them.

Both these guys are going to get extensive playing time Saturday. With the amount of snaps the first team OL got today, I don't see them playing at all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Williams may make the roster. I think he's on the bubble. He's probably better than Lucas at this point, who I thought would have improved a little more this year. I agree, he probably gets cut. Still early. I never said Eldrencamp would make the roster. What I said, was that I thought that was the best combination, and most cohesive unit that played together in the game. He's OK, even though he started out shaky. Obviously, you can disagree, but that is my opinion. It was that group that helped bust some good runs.

You are really going out on a limb with Noteboom starting game 1. Lol. I have already said Noteboom may end up starting game 3, when Brown is eligible to come back. Or, in essence, I think he has a good shot of winning that spot. The only reason he won't start, IMO, is if they want him on the active roster as the swing tackle. They could still swap him out, however. Blythe, and Demby provide good competition here.

Demby is still raw , but getting good reps.

Austin Blythe is smallish, but does a good job at Center. Allen is the future center though moving forward. He competes well.

Well, I’ve been getting blasted a bit on Williams. I’m just stated what I’m seeing. I don’t think to many people notice what I’ve been.

Lucas I was thinking before yesterday was getting a lot of reps at LT ? I also think Williams at RT & Noteboom were the best line combo,not sure if Eldrenkamp was in ?

—Noteboom - going out on a limb ? Is that sarcastic ? Not sure, but I’m just going on
how The rotation is looking,plus watching a lot of practice reps.

My only reason I say Noteboom will start at RG day 1 is because he was the only player yesterday to get reps with The Big 5 minus Brown for 1 series. He looks good there,but his real value is at LT.Williaams was already the backup LT last year.
Now to come & think about my wager with
Bubbaramfan is he might have forgot Brown will not be on the 53 day 1 ? Meaning an extra roster spot & a big whole left in the Offensive Line. ?

Noteboom should have been called for a false start against Ravens,but ref flagged Demby instead. Demby has been jumping a lot , but Noteboom has done it maybe even more. That needs to be corrected!!!
I think at RG will keep him from the false starts,plus next to Sullivan will help.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks for your take on these guys, I appreciate it.

- your welcome. It’s just another point of view.
I was on board last season with The Big 5 !!
Those guys started the whole season together, & was a strength were most fans were freaking out. Watching the Charger scrimmages last season & seeing how those guys came together was cool.

Whitworth is sonfreaking cool & such a Stud !!
I saw someone saying Saffold was the best offensive lineman on The Rams last season.
I say Whitworths value is unmeasurable for all he brings to the table . To think he is older than the head coach & McVay actually called(calls?) him coach. He is the glue & leader.

Sullivan has been with Whitworth from day 1 last season ,& Saffold filled into his position.
He has excelled, but early he sort of was an individual. Brown & Hav we’re changing positions & working things out. Just trying to find there way. Big Rob is a smart player.He really likes the game, & Brown came into the league with him as his roomie.

I also saw a piece where The Big 5 went out to dinner together the night before a game.Just a squad that came together as a unit.

I’m not sure how that looks this year, especially with Brown missing game 1 & 2 ?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No Worries So I took Brown being out into consideration. I don't think it matters. Either DWilliams makes the team or he doesn't.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No Worries So I took Brown being out into consideration. I don't think it matters. Either DWilliams makes the team or he doesn't.

I've been with you from the start and nothing has changed IMO. Williams was awful against the Ravens, but Lucas struggled as well. IMO, both could be cut as another guy could shake lose they could add as they did that last year claiming three guys on the September cut down day.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Noteboom should have been called for a false start against Ravens,but ref flagged Demby instead. Demby has been jumping a lot , but Noteboom has done it maybe even more. That needs to be corrected!!!
I think at RG will keep him from the false starts,plus next to Sullivan will help.

Really enjoyed the camp report and analysis as to Noteboom starting at RG for Brown I could see that, but IMO, he's got three more games to make his case because they already know what Blythe brings to the table and that the moment is not too big for him. Tough to start on the road in a hostile environment as the natives will be load in Oakland.

You and I will forever disagree on Williams as I once was his biggest supporter. I concur with your assessment as he has lapses, plus IMO, he's not good at RT more of a natural LT and struggles there. Still have a feeling if it comes down to Williams over Lucas, the Rams will opt to acquire a veteran or claim one off waivers. Williams is still young, but his lapses lead to turnovers....Again three games left to see if the Rams keep either Williams or Lucas as they could opt to cut both, but with the Brown suspension looming, they might keep one and then release him when Brown comes back.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Really enjoyed the camp report and analysis as to Noteboom starting at RG for Brown I could see that, but IMO, he's got three more games to make his case because they already know what Blythe brings to the table and that the moment is not too big for him. Tough to start on the road in a hostile environment as the natives will be load in Oakland.

You and I will forever disagree on Williams as I once was his biggest supporter. I concur with your assessment as he has lapses, plus IMO, he's not good at RT more of a natural LT and struggles there. Still have a feeling if it comes down to Williams over Lucas, the Rams will opt to acquire a veteran or claim one off waivers. Williams is still young, but his lapses lead to turnovers....Again three games left to see if the Rams keep either Williams or Lucas as they could opt to cut both, but with the Brown suspension looming, they might keep one and then release him when Brown comes back.

The Rams are not bringing anyone else in. Williams knows the system. In fact he might
even be the backup LT !!

The more I’ve seen & think about it my thoughts sort of played out yesterday in The Rams last 1 on 1 training camp padded practice.
—True there are 3 more weeks & Lucas has a great attitude. He looks in great shape & has a clear mind.He Just was not getting the Reps yesterday, which told me what Inwanted to know.

1. Roger Saffold is strictly The Rams LG !!
Everyone can disagree with me, but with no valid proof against.He will not be moved to another position due to 1 injury. There is always a case,but Williams & or Noteboom will play LT if needed.Pray we don’t have to find out though.

2. Noteboom will be the 2nd string LT during the season. Getting those first team Reps.
Probably after he starts at RG ? Which Den you are right with crowd noise. He has been jumping offside way to many times as it is.

3. Williams will be the Backup RT & LT. He is looking ok at RT.He knows the plays & leads the defender away from the play. That is the way I see it.He knows when to lay on a body,or just move them enough to open a whole.

4.Demby- from above nite. Kromer jr. was working with Demby on just that little concept.
I may sound stupid ? He is just learning.I like Demby because he plays with fire. Plays to the whistle & works hard.

5.Austin Blythe was the backup last season. He plays well,but is undersized & nothing special. Noteboom has some pop & very athletic.In a couple years he will blossom nicely.

For some reason I think Brown will not be a top FA like some thought.Not sure what his value is ? Next year is still in the shadows.I’d
Like to see the backups keep developing at a solid lace.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For some reason I think Brown will not be a top FA like some thought.Not sure what his value is ? Next year is still in the shadows.I’d
Like to see the backups keep developing at a solid lace.

I could see them keeping Havenstein over Brown, but Saffold is also up for a contract. I expect them to draft a couple of more OL in 2019. Whit would be in the last year of his contract, also if Noteboom shows well at RG (if he does indeed start) they could keep him there to not upset the chemistry and then next season, they could keep Brown (cheaper option) extend Saffold and move Whit to RT with Noteboom at LT, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Right now I am pleased with Noteboom & Demby and I believe in Brian Allen, but at Center only. I'm still not convinced the Rams won't add a player, if somebody shakes lose that has played under Kromer, the Rams could make a claim, that's unlikely, but could happen. Last year before the first game, the Rams claimed J.J. Dielman and Aaron Neary before game one, granted depth was more of a concern, but you never know who is going to be available.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see them keeping Havenstein over Brown, but Saffold is also up for a contract. I expect them to draft a couple of more OL in 2019. Whit would be in the last year of his contract, also if Noteboom shows well at RG (if he does indeed start) they could keep him there to not upset the chemistry and then next season, they could keep Brown (cheaper option) extend Saffold and move Whit to RT with Noteboom at LT, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Right now I am pleased with Noteboom & Demby and I believe in Brian Allen, but at Center only. I'm still not convinced the Rams won't add a player, if somebody shakes lose that has played under Kromer, the Rams could make a claim, that's unlikely, but could happen. Last year before the first game, the Rams claimed J.J. Dielman and Aaron Neary before game one, granted depth was more of a concern, but you never know who is going to be available.
When we pick #32 I fully expect us next year to take a college tackle to mold into a LG. Just like was done with Martin and Long. One more year of Whitworth with Noteboom starting at RT with Lucas and another draft pick as the backup tackles. Demby or Brown starting at RG.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lindsey Theiry just posted an updated depth chart, now have Lucas as backup to Whitworth, and DWilliams backup to Havenstein.

New depth chart at official Rams website.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lindsey Theiry just posted an updated depth chart, now have Lucas as backup to Whitworth, and DWilliams backup to Havenstein.

New depth chart at official Rams website.
Thanks Bubba, I don't see much has changed from last week, nor do I put a ton of stock into preseason depth charts. I think your practice reports mean more. Coaches like to use depth charts as carrots for some, and as apples to others, out of respect for veteran players.

I will take them with a grain of salt, until the regular season starts, and the cuts are complete.

Lucas did play better at OLT, than D. WIlliams in the game, so it does make some sense. What is funny though that over the years, I've seen a lot of 2nd stringers, according to the depth chart, get cut before the season started.

Curious to see if Noteboom gets snaps at RG over the next two games. As much as we are moving guys around, on the OL, these 2nd string positions, must be very hotly contested, which I expected.

I think that is a testament to the coaching, and the fit of the players drafted., more than anything, which is a good thing.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx Dr. There's a lot on that depth chart I don't agree with from what I saw at TC the last two weeks.

Still three pre season games for them to evaluate guys. A lot can change. Injury, guys step it up, guys regress.

I expect guys that they like to be backup will get more playing time early in the preseason games. We'll have a better idea by ps game 4. Like who is going to be the back up OL at LT and RT. I don't think Kromer knows yet. I don't think they know who is going to start for Brown yet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lucas is better at RT than Williams. My biggest knock on Williams is he gets beat and sometimes badly by speed rushers. Lucas at least gets hands on them.

Both these guys are going to get extensive playing time Saturday. With the amount of snaps the first team OL got today, I don't see them playing at all.

Like I said Williams is starting at RT ?? Where is Lucas ?? Noteboom is starting LT.

Blythe was The Rams team captain today. He is penciled in on the roster.