Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Demby only makes the PS.

I'll be shocked if that happens, but in the end, i could be wrong. Didn't think Darrell Williams had a chance, but he's played really well at RT. As to Neary & Eldrenkamp I'm not in agreement with @DR RAM I'm concerned with their strength, Demby has more girth and offers the opportunity to play RT, the others don't. Lucas played really well at Guard and it was his block that led to the Kelly's 15 yard TD. In the end I still believe they keep Demby, release Neary, Eldrenkamp & Lucas (gulp) and keep the rest including Williams because of the roster exemption and reevaluate after two games, where they might be able to sneak Demby on the PS then.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'll be shocked if that happens, but in the end, i could be wrong. Didn't think Darrell Williams had a chance, but he's played really well at RT. As to Neary & Eldrenkamp I'm not in agreement with @DR RAM I'm concerned with their strength, Demby has more girth and offers the opportunity to play RT, the others don't. Lucas played really well at Guard and it was his block that led to the Kelly's 15 yard TD. In the end I still believe they keep Demby, release Neary, Eldrenkamp & Lucas (gulp) and keep the rest including Williams because of the roster exemption and reevaluate after two games, where they might be able to sneak Demby on the PS then.

Think that is very accurate!!

The backups have gained a lot of experience, which has been cool to see. Don’t see any surprises.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To be clear. So, you don't think Neary, or Eldrencamp to the P.S.? That's where I have them going, and I definitely have Demby on the roster, he'd NEVER make it to the P.S.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe that both Jake Eldrenkamp & Aaron Neary are great fits in the Kromer system & might have little interest for most of the NFL. Both Neary & Eldrenkamp would be excellent PS OL'ers. Whereas Jamil Demby would appear to have more value & a well rounded fit to most all other type of OL ran systems. Demby may have the ability to be plugged in @ RT in the future I think he is much more NFL OG. You cut Demby & expect he will not be picked up...think again.

Very good chance that Rams will have two vacant starting OG positions early in 2019. Rams will retain both of their starting OT's in 2019. The total opposite. OT Darrell Williams will be a UFA 6 months from now. Rookie Demby just signed a four yr contract.

den rang a bell here with me.... the big decision on the 9th OL spot will be delayed until the first of week #3. Will the Rams go with only three OT's after wk 3?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
To be clear. So, you don't think Neary, or Eldrencamp to the P.S.? That's where I have them going, and I definitely have Demby on the roster, he'd NEVER make it to the P.S.

Then we're in total agreement, guess I misread that about Neary & Eldrenkamp, they are PS worthy, they could actually sign a tackle as well because Neary & Eldrenkamp play the same positions.
tenor.gif

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Then we're in total agreement, guess I misread that about Neary & Eldrenkamp, they are PS worthy, they could actually sign a tackle as well because Neary & Eldrenkamp play the same positions.
tenor.gif
Yes. I think they are better than they get credit for, and in the past, could easily earn a spot, but this year, we have so much talent there. Demby is the guy, because he can play tackle too, probably Note, and Lucas, just make those guys expendable, with Blythe, a jackknife inside, a solid starter at both Guard positions already, and solid a Tackle, but Tackle/Guard, combos are harder to find than Center/Guard combo guys, especially like Notheboom, our first true swing tackle that I can think back to.

I have been impressed by Eldrencamp, and Neary, no doubting that. Demby has a much higher upside, and Allen, looks pretty set, kind of like Blythe. Real solid.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
No, Blythe will be our starter for at least two games for Jamon. I think Blythe is really all solid, and improved, I expect Blythe to be on our game day rosters, before Allen, per se. Noteboom will be on it too, and then, it’s a close call, but he must be able to play G/T, IMO. I’d put Blythe in my top 8, however you stack it. Now, Allen may be cheaper, and may be able to beat him out in a year or two. But, who knows. I think Allen is on the path to be solid, like Blythe, and there is nothing to say Blythe won’t keep improving either.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
No, Blythe will be our starter for at least two games for Jamon. I think Blythe is really all solid, and improved, I expect Blythe to be on our game day rosters, before Allen, per se. Noteboom will be on it too, and then, it’s a close call, but he must be able to play G/T, IMO. I’d put Blythe in my top 8, however you stack it. Now, Allen may be cheaper, and may be able to beat him out in a year or two. But, who knows. I think Allen is on the path to be solid, like Blythe, and there is nothing to say Blythe won’t keep improving either.
Blythe is all about having excellent technique and understanding and executing his assignments.
Not a brute strength guy and relatively small for a man system guard.

Like McVay said, he has the trust of the coaches which is huge.
Why push a rookie before you have to?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It would be absolutely AMAZING if we found our left tackle of the future in the third round.
Talk about saving some money as well.
I might be possible to extend Whitworth's playing time & help prevent wear & tear & late season decline if we can get Noteboom playing in a rotation in the 2nd half of the game when the game is not on the line.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I might be possible to extend Whitworth's playing time....

get Noteboom playing in a rotation in the 2nd half of the game when the game is not on the line.
That's actually a great idea and might have Whitworth more fresh for the playoffs while simultaneously getting Noteboom some good practice in.

Interestingly enough, you don't see a lot of teams doing that though.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I might be possible to extend Whitworth's playing time & help prevent wear & tear & late season decline if we can get Noteboom playing in a rotation in the 2nd half of the game when the game is not on the line.

This also crossed my mind. They could even give Whit a series off in the 1st half then 1 in the 2nd. If game is in hand then the rookie finishes up.

dang

Legend
Letting Whit, Sullivan and Saffold rest when the game is in control and not risk injury to our QB would be phenomenal for staying fresh late in the season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Letting Whit, Sullivan and Saffold rest when the game is in control and not risk injury to our QB would be phenomenal for staying fresh late in the season.
The "not risk injury" thing is the crux of the matter.

You always want your best five out there so there's minimal chance that your quarterback will get hurt.

If you didn't have your best five out there and Goff gets hurt you blame yourself forever for making a huge mistake.

The only one I see that is old enough to qualify playing a partial game is Whitworth.
And that would only be if they feel like Noteboom is just as, or almost as good as Wentworth.

Heck if the game is in hand though pull Goff for Mannion. Let him get some quality work in with the ones.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

View: https://twitter.com/Rich_Hammond/status/1034217900188479488

Looks like Blythe is the starting at RG for games 1 & 2. Alllen makes the team as the backup C, along with Noteboom, the 3rd tackle. Agree with others Demby would not make it to the practice squad if cut.

Where does this leave Brown is interesting. Does he have a job if Blythe performs well in his place.

There is a reason Jamon Brown has taken almost all the starting Reps with starters in training camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not recall any posters above mention removing 3 of your starters from the lineup? Who brought up Sullivan & Saffold? How often does a team who has the Game in hand & trying to run out the clock have your QB drop deep & start passing the ball?

I was under the thought that we were speaking of the oldest LT in the NFL & with thoughts to have Whitworth fresh & healthy when the Rams enter the playoffs & need this LT's fully operational to fully protect Goff when the season is on the line!