Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Noteboom is very impressive, Demby is almost as impressive, but not OLT material. Noteboom will be able to play 4 positions. Allen got blown up once, bad...but played very well for a rookie, at Guard, and Center. Lucas is better at OLT, than ORT, and Williams is better at ORT, than OLT. Demby can play either Guard, or ORT. He was impressive. Eldrencamp, and Neary are both serviceable, but Blythe is better than both of them at the C/G position.

There is really good comp here, guys, and they played all over, but Noteboom, Allen, and Demby are safe for sure. I think we will keep the next best OLT, because Demby can play G/ORT. Tough call between Williams, and Lucas at that spot at this time, IMO. Noteboom is the best, and our future OLT. I think we got a steal here, needs a little strength and seasoning., but...wow. Tons of competition on the inside. Buyers choice. Blythe is most seasoned. Neary surprised me the most, because he had a bad start, but we moved him around, and he got better. His biggest problem is his leverage...he plays too high, when he plays low, he plays well.

Allen plays with amazing leverage, but he got caught pulling on one play, and got blown up, which resulted in a TFL against us. Only once though. He will drive through a player, and finish.

Eldrencamp, just gets the job done, doesn't stand out out, good or bad, which is not a bad thing for an OL'man. He is in the picture, same as the next guy....

Neary, if he could play with leverage at all times, he would be sneaky good. He understands the game, but physically, will never be a dominant player.

Brown was very disappointing, and I am a fan. He was unable to sustain blocks, which directly led to giving up tackles. He, at this point has not improved in strength, or attitude.

Kolone, didn't see anything to make note of.

Demby and Noteboom, both have really good feet, and are very fluid players. They both need some strength, and to learn some technique on how to re-anchor. They look like long term potential starters to me. Demby is way more athletic than he looks.

Blythe is tough, disciplined and effective. Can be a starter, but ideal as a C/G backup.

Williams and Lucas both play better on one side versus the other. Lucas tends to stop his feet, and just use his hands, and Williams, will lose with his hands, and scramble to recover with his feet, sometimes diving to knock his opponent out of the play. He seems more competitive to me, Lucas has more natural talent.

At first preseason, I am very hopeful for sustainability.

I don't know if Jamon will have a job when he is eligible.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Noteboom is very impressive, Demby is almost as impressive, but not OLT material. Noteboom will be able to play 4 positions. Allen got blown up once, bad...but played very well for a rookie, at Guard, and Center. Lucas is better at OLT, than ORT, and Williams is better at ORT, than OLT. Demby can play either Guard, or ORT. He was impressive. Eldrencamp, and Neary are both serviceable, but Blythe is better than both of them at the C/G position.

There is really good comp here, guys, and they played all over, but Noteboom, Allen, and Demby are safe for sure. I think we will keep the next best OLT, because Demby can play G/ORT. Tough call between Williams, and Lucas at that spot at this time, IMO. Noteboom is the best, and our future OLT. I think we got a steal here, needs a little strength and seasoning., but...wow. Tons of competition on the inside. Buyers choice. Blythe is most seasoned. Neary surprised me the most, because he had a bad start, but we moved him around, and he got better. His biggest problem is his leverage...he plays too high, when he plays low, he plays well.

Allen plays with amazing leverage, but he got caught pulling on one play, and got blown up, which resulted in a TFL against us. Only once though. He will drive through a player, and finish.

Eldrencamp, just gets the job done, doesn't stand out out, good or bad, which is not a bad thing for an OL'man. He is in the picture, same as the next guy....

Neary, if he could play with leverage at all times, he would be sneaky good. He understands the game, but physically, will never be a dominant player.

Brown was very disappointing, and I am a fan. He was unable to sustain blocks, which directly led to giving up tackles. He, at this point has not improved in strength, or attitude.

Kolone, didn't see anything to make note of.

Demby and Noteboom, both have really good feet, and are very fluid players. They both need some strength, and to learn some technique on how to re-anchor. They look like long term potential starters to me. Demby is way more athletic than he looks.

Blythe is tough, disciplined and effective. Can be a starter, but ideal as a C/G backup.

Williams and Lucas both play better on one side versus the other. Lucas tends to stop his feet, and just use his hands, and Williams, will lose with his hands, and scramble to recover with his feet, sometimes diving to knock his opponent out of the play. He seems more competitive to me, Lucas has more natural talent.

At first preseason, I am very hopeful for sustainability.

I don't know if Jamon will have a job when he is eligible.

Nice report. For some reason, only saw the game live quick. The first series Williams looked ok at LT & Lucas gave up a sack. Then I guess the next series Williams gave up a scam (fumble?)
The thing that stood out was when The Rams tried to run behind Jamon Brown who was the only starter out there. The Rams lost a yard.He was suppose to be the standout player in a good way.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nice report. For some reason, only saw the game live quick. The first series Williams looked ok at LT & Lucas gave up a sack. Then I guess the next series Williams gave up a scam (fumble?)
The thing that stood out was when The Rams tried to run behind Jamon Brown who was the only starter out there. The Rams lost a yard.He was suppose to be the standout player in a good way.
Yeah. He didn't play well. He looked uninspired, but I know that is a total subjective view. Watching his reps, he got his ass beat...mainly, because he didn't sustain blocks, at all.His poor play confused me. I hope it lights a fire under his balls.

IMO, the best unit out there on Thursday, was OLT - Noteboom, OLG - Eldrencamp, C - Allen, ORG - Blythe, and ORT - Demby, and TE - Hemingway. This is the line where J. Davis started busting some off, and he could have had a lot more....slipped.

Now, it was close, because variations of this line played well, Jamon Brown did not.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
IMO, the best unit out there on Thursday, was OLT - Noteboom, OLG - Eldrencamp, C - Allen, ORG - Blythe, and ORT - Demby, and TE - Hemingway. This is the line where J. Davis started busting some off, and he could have had a lot more....slipped.

Now, it was close, because variations of this line played well, Jamon Brown did not.

So, I hope these 3 rookies go against some good players, not 3rd stringers....If Notebloom can "secure" the future, oh how great that could be--we could focus on a corner only in the 1st next year...and really start securing a 5 year plan for deep playoff runs.(lol, my 5 year plan might be 10 years short)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
i got around to watch the late NFL airing of the Rams Ravens game tonight.

The Bad:

1 Brian Allen won’t make it at this level. disappointing to say it but he was getting manhandled more than a few times vs the pass and in the run game. I was
for the draft pick but when your getting manhandled vs second stringers it’s not a good sign.
Well, many centers don't "Make it" until there 3rd-4th years. So, maybe he is a fail at guard, but good at center. Am I wrong here?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, many centers don't "Make it" until there 3rd-4th years. So, maybe he is a fail at guard, but good at center. Am I wrong here?
I think he showed both, and McVay will continue to move, and switch players around. I think, for sure, Brian Allen will make the roster. I think he will be able to play both, Guard, and Center. He plays with great leverage, and he is smart, with strength.

Look, this is the first preseason game. and we have a lot of rookies. I have a good feeling about this class. Blythe, and Eldrencamp can probably play the same positions, which is a good thing, but Allen is already playing close to their level, so, IMO, he has room to grow.

Man, I remember lauding players that, if they didn't make the Rams, would probably go into Pro Wrestling. The OL that doesn't make the team. probably 2 - 4 guys, will be picked up by other teams.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So, I hope these 3 rookies go against some good players, not 3rd stringers....If Notebloom can "secure" the future, oh how great that could be--we could focus on a corner only in the 1st next year...and really start securing a 5 year plan for deep playoff runs.(lol, my 5 year plan might be 10 years short)
They played against 2nd teamers at the least, but yeah. I agree, and I'd bet money, McVay wants to see them too, against better comp.

The 2nd game, guys will be flopped, they had to earn their spots, and they did. Same for the D. I'll do a write up today, later, after I sleep, hopefully. The OL will still be tough, and I expect to see more combos. One of oir tougher decisions, me think.

They played by quarter, a lot of them, and I expect them to do the same, probably just switch quarters. Perceived 3rd teamers, may get a nod, over the 2nd teamers on the depth chart. We will see, I guess. It is what I would do. They showed, so now see if they show against better com...if they can handle the jump.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As of today besides the starting five including Brown, I'd keep Noteboom, Demby, Brian Allen and Austin Blythe releasing the others including Williams & Lucas. Now the tackles could rally, but the Rams could also to look to pick up a veteran OT via trade or cut down, although I doubt anybody of worth at Tackle will actually be released.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Noteboom is the future though. I don’t think Saffold would be switched to LT, especially since he does not take any reps there at all with Kromer.

Maybe. He's off to a great start but you know these OL are all mid to later round picks so at this point it just looks like all are hits in terms of roster spots. If the Rams hit on Noteboom as a primary backup at LT that's a huge positive but I'm not there quite yet. It's easier for a rook to start or be a primary backup inside and have the OL overall make up for it at OG than it is on the edge where dudes can get exposed if their feet aren't ready. Need to see more from Mr. Noteboom to agree on that one.

One preseason game in, though, it looks like our mid to late round rooks hang just fine with existing depth. So obviously a really nice job by the Rams on evaluation as things stand right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As of today besides the starting five including Brown, I'd keep Noteboom, Demby, Brian Allen and Austin Blythe releasing the others including Williams & Lucas. Now the tackles could rally, but the Rams could also to look to pick up a veteran OT via trade or cut down, although I doubt anybody of worth at Tackle will actually be released.

Yep, lookin this group over again right now I agree. Re: Lucas... He will need to win a job vs the bottom of the TE group to get a roster spot (barring much better play in the next couple games), which at this point seems doable, so I could see the Rams keeping 10 vice 9.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
IMO, the best unit out there on Thursday, was OLT - Noteboom, OLG - Eldrencamp, C - Allen, ORG - Blythe, and ORT - Demby, and TE - Hemingway. This is the line where J. Davis started busting some off
Snap count vs Baltimore;

Noteboom - 31 50%
Eldrenkamp - 28 45%
Allen - 38 61%
Blythe - 28 45%
Demby - 50 81%
Hemingway - 34 55%
Brown - 9 15%

I'm not sure we can make much out of Jamon Browns 9 snaps.

They wanted to give Hemingway some work and get some tape on him, apparently the same with Demby.

I think they have a good bead on Blythe so no need to overwork him.

Allen got a lot of work so they can get some tape on him and figure out any deficiencies.

Surprisingly little work for Eldrenkamp.

I think they're going to work Noteboom just enough to get tape on him but they're counting on him as a backup this year so they might not overwork him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LT…Andrew Whitworth…The linchpin to the OL and some will debate that Whitworth was less effective towards the end of the season including the playoff game against the Falcons, but there is no debating that Whit is a major locker room presence and will be look upon to assist some of the draft class in their transition into the NFL.

LG…Rodger Saffold….IMO, it was Saffold’s best year under Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer as Saffold was rock solid week in and week out. Playing in between established pros like Whitworth & Sullivan helped as Saffold did not have to cover for anyone and one will surmise is a contract extension in his future?

C…John Sullivan…Loved Sully all last year and there were a couple of games many of us were concerned about Sullivan getting injured, but Big John was always ready the following week. Sullivan really knows the offense, which assisted Goff greatly and I’m glad the Notre Dame alum is back and can teach new Center Brian Allen a few things about what it takes to be a professional.

RG…Jamon Brown….Some were tough on Brown, but I felt once he settled in at RG, he improved greatly week over week and created many holes for TGIII. Brown also improved in his pass protection and actually graded out well in the playoff game against the Falcons.

RT…Rob Havenstein…Big Rob came back after being dinged up in 2016 to play very solid at RT. Havenstein will always have us holding our breath against the speed rushers (The Texan Game) but he rallies to always just get enough of the guy to give Goff the opportunity to make a play and is one of the better run blockers on this team, really can create some gaps for the running backs and that was his claim to fame at Wisconsin.

The Draft Class:

LT…Joseph Noteboom….The more I read about Noteboom the more I liked, granted a third round pick, so there are going to be question marks, however, Noteboom is very athletic and under the tutelage of Aaron Kromer should be ready to contribute sooner rather than later. Also an Academic all American so all of us should not have to worry about Noteboom picking up the scheme and stunts that are run by the defense.

C…Brian Allen….This was the surprise pick of the draft for me as I knew the Rams might draft a Center, just did not realize Brian Allen was on their radar. Allen a leader that backs down to no one and has a wrestling background that seems to be preferred by OL Coach Aaron Kromer because of leverage combined with quick hands and feet to aid at the point of attack. Allen not a big as Sullivan, but was essential in the ground attack for the Spartans of Michigan State.

OG….Jamil Demby….One of my favorite picks, but I might be a tad biased because I work with several colleagues that played at the University of Maine and being a connect a dots guy with the addition of Liam Cohen to the coaching staff as he was the OC at Maine, felt good that Demby was headed to Southern California. Anyway big kid that played LT for the Black Bears and will transition to Guard and reminds me of Saffold, but will have to get stronger at the next level, but I feel really good about Demby making the team and being a future starter for many years to come.

First Man Up:

C/G...Austin Blythe…A real surprise to me last season as he was released by the Indianapolis Colts (who really need offensive linemen) and I did not expect him to make the team, but from the start of preseason, Blythe showcased the ability to play Center & Guard without much drop-off. Blythe another former wrestler that is very quick off the ball will have challenges again making the squad with the addition of Allen and the bigger Jake Eldrenkamp, but Blythe was very valuable last season and I don’t see things changing in 2018 for the former Hawkeye.

The Rest:

LT/RT…Cornelius Lucas….Did not expect much from the big man from Kansas State, but he caught my eye against the 49ers in the final game of the year as he played an excellent RT not allowing any pressures whatsoever. Lucas will be challenged as he will have an opportunity to play both positions come Training Camp, but he has the size that OL Coach Aaron Kromer covets in his tackles and one would surmise the Rams want to keep two tackles on the final 53 as they did all of last season.

This is how I see it. I know that is 10. The bigger question to me, is which 8 are on the game day roster? Too early to tell, but it sounds like Kromer is moving guys around a lot, and seeing what they got. I have Demby, or Noteboom starting for Brown, while he is suspended. If Noteboom starts, then you probably keep Lucas to be the swing OT on the active roster.
i got around to watch the late NFL airing of the Rams Ravens game tonight.

i focused solely on Oline and honestly didn’t even watch the defense. Just rewinded every play on offense until i could determine what each olineman was doing and how well he did it.

Here are my General Observations:

The Bad:

1 Brian Allen won’t make it at this level. disappointing to say it but he was getting manhandled more than a few times vs the pass and in the run game. I was
for the draft pick but when your getting manhandled vs second stringers it’s not a good sign.

2 Lucas - still can’t handle edge rushers.
Too bad because he has some redeeming qualities.

The Good:

1 Jamil Bemby #64- Best Olineman on film last night. Its only one preseason game vs backups but boy was he solid vs run and pass. his wide body work really does remind you of Saffold. He also plays some solid RT.

2 Jake EldrenKamp #60- Just like last preaseason, Jake was solid. Nothing Dominant here, but he is consistent, scheme conscientious, quick on his feet and solid hand usage. Great backup Depth for sure at Guard and Center.

Other:

Williams looked OK
Neary has potential but had more than a few down plays.

Don’t totally agree. Think your off on a couple players.

Eldrenkamp is crap & is as good as gone.

Allen is not playing poorly.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah. He didn't play well. He looked uninspired, but I know that is a total subjective view. Watching his reps, he got his ass beat...mainly, because he didn't sustain blocks, at all.His poor play confused me. I hope it lights a fire under his balls.

Don’t agree — Williams is going to make the roster.

Eldrenkamp didn’t play all that well. He gets beat up a lot. Will be one of the first lineman cut.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Went today to camp. This again is my take,plus I did watch the Ravens game.

My take is John Sullivan played with a lot of nasty & confidence.

Whit & Goff talk a lot. All last season Goff would check in with Whit & Sullivan on the sideline.

Roger Saffold opened up a nice whole for a Gurley TD !! Was solid, but did give up a sack on a blitz.

Brown was running with the 1’s , but I’m making the CALL Noteboom will start at RG
Game 1 !

Big Rob is getting more physical. Looked like he is starting to put it in another gear.

Noteboom at LT has been jumping way to many times.I think he starts at RG.He got a rep with the 1’s in place of Brown.

Lucas— did not get a lot of reps s today. I like his spirit, but I think he gets cut. Noteboom was taking most of the LT Reps & Williams at RT.

Williams- IMO - will make the 53 man roster. He does have a couple lapses, but has a good feel for the plays.He was getting both RT & LT Reps today. I’ve watched him a lot. My feel is The Rams have him making the team. I watched the Ravens game as well.He missed 2 blocks bad.—If I thought other wise I would say it. I was going down that path from some reports. I don’t agree with them at all.

Demby got personal work with Kromer JR. He kept working on his form for 5 minutes with a drill of grabbing & moving a DLman(shadow drill of form) to open a whole.He wanted him to keep his hands in tight with power & hands.
Demby got a lot of reps. Lg,LT.,RT,RG.

Allen is looking good He is a baller. He comes out & plays. RG & Center.

Austin Blythe goes unnoticed a lot. C & RG .

I’ll stop there,because those are the player Inthink make the squad.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Don’t agree — Williams is going to make the roster.

Eldrenkamp didn’t play all that well. He gets beat up a lot. Will be one of the first lineman cut.
Williams may make the roster. I think he's on the bubble. He's probably better than Lucas at this point, who I thought would have improved a little more this year. I agree, he probably gets cut. Still early. I never said Eldrencamp would make the roster. What I said, was that I thought that was the best combination, and most cohesive unit that played together in the game. He's OK, even though he started out shaky. Obviously, you can disagree, but that is my opinion. It was that group that helped bust some good runs.

You are really going out on a limb with Noteboom starting game 1. Lol. I have already said Noteboom may end up starting game 3, when Brown is eligible to come back. Or, in essence, I think he has a good shot of winning that spot. The only reason he won't start, IMO, is if they want him on the active roster as the swing tackle. They could still swap him out, however. Blythe, and Demby provide good competition here.

Last edited: