Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Boom starting at LT, Allen starting at OC vs. Raiders

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Time for Props to @So Ram before the cheap shot today against the Raiders Tackle Darrell Williams played very well at RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Time for Props to @So Ram before the cheap shot today against the Raiders Tackle Darrell Williams played very well at RT.

I’ll tell you this Den-the-coach , I’ve watched a lot of his reps. I’m just trying to evaluate certain players & positions.
On one play there is so much going on,each player has there role.The Offensive Line has been a position I like to evaluate, from even the draft looking for value.
The Kromer’s Do a good job of coaching & Dickerson. Watching Kromer Jr. Work with Demby on positioning showed me a lot of what they are trying to teach.
Williams does a good job of it. Very simple concept of just sealing the defender off to create a whole.The thing I like about Williams is he understands the play call & what to do. He might not be the best offensive lineman by far, but he does the job.

Today he showed a lot more ability.
Boom starting at LT, Allen starting at OC vs. Raiders

Neary & Blythe at guard. Who played RG ?

My take is going to be Neary was at RG, so I wonder about Noteboom vs Blythe for the starting RG spot day 1 ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
After rewatching the game the line overall was extremely impressive. Boom & Allen were standouts, both were consistent play in and out executing their blocks. There were some issues, like Boom not getting his feet set quickly a couple times (good DE would have eaten him for lunch) or Allen committing maybe too quickly (don't know what his assignment was) but overall both of them played very well.

Demby is not ready to be a primary backup just yet at OT. He might be fine inside, but not on the edge, needs work. Will definitely make the team of course but he's a 3 on the depth chart type right now. He did some good things, but also can look very out of synch in space.

Williams had a nice bounceback day. But it's clear of course he's lost his 2 spot to Noteboom. His problem is why keep a guy who's a FA next year if he's a 3 on the chart, where you want to keep the upside types. Either way he helped himself today. And of course if you really want to split hairs he's not even a 3 on the LT depth chart since you have Saff as a primary backup IMO and yes that's another argument where I know some of you disagree. But IMO the depth is Saffold>Noteboom>Williams at that critical blindside spot.

Lucas has the extra year of control and if he wins the backup job on the right side has the advantage over Williams IMO.

Can't say enough about our OL coaching man. It's night and day with this depth chart in one week, impressive job by them.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Neary & Blythe at guard. Who played RG ?

My take is going to be Neary was at RG, so I wonder about Noteboom vs Blythe for the starting RG spot day 1 ?

Brown started at RG and played quite a bit of the game. Blythe started at RG. When Neary came in, he played LG and Center, he's a much better Center, but IMO, still weak at the point of attack.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After rewatching the game the line overall was extremely impressive. Boom & Allen were standouts, both were consistent play in and out executing their blocks. There were some issues, like Boom not getting his feet set quickly a couple times (good DE would have eaten him for lunch) or Allen committing maybe too quickly (don't know what his assignment was) but overall both of them played very well.

Demby is not ready to be a primary backup just yet at OT. He might be fine inside, but not on the edge, needs work. Will definitely make the team of course but he's a 3 on the depth chart type right now. He did some good things, but also can look very out of synch in space.

Williams had a nice bounceback day. But it's clear of course he's lost his 2 spot to Noteboom. His problem is why keep a guy who's a FA next year if he's a 3 on the chart, where you want to keep the upside types. Either way he helped himself today. And of course if you really want to split hairs he's not even a 3 on the LT depth chart since you have Saff as a primary backup IMO and yes that's another argument where I know some of you disagree. But IMO the depth is Saffold>Noteboom>Williams at that critical blindside spot.

Lucas has the extra year of control and if he wins the backup job on the right side has the advantage over Williams IMO.

Can't say enough about our OL coaching man. It's night and day with this depth chart in one week, impressive job by them.
SONOFA...~Boudreau

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's the line up on the OL:
1st Quarter
LT- Noteboom
LG- Blythe
OC- Allen
RG- Brown
RT-Williams

2nd Quarter
LT- Noteboom
LG- Neary
OC- Allen
RG- Blythe
RT-Williams

Late 2nd Quarter
LT- Demby
LG- Allen
OC- Blyhte
RG- Noteboom
RT- Williams
*Note:When RT Williams was blindsided hit to the head by Raiders #95 Noteboom went to RT & Neary came in to RG

3rd Quarter
LT- Noteboom
LG- Neary
OC-Allen
RG- Demby
RT-Eldrenkamp

Late 3rd quarter
LT Lucas
LG- Kolone
OC- Neary
RG- Eldrenkamp
RT- Demby
4th Quarter
LT- Lucas
LG- Kolone
OC- Neary
RG- Eldrenkamp
RT- Demby

Noteboom played 3 OL posts-LT/RT/RG.
Blythe played 3 OL posts OC/RG/LG.
Demby played 3 OL posts RG/RT/LT.
Eldrenkamp played 2 posts RT/RG
Allen played 2 posts OC/LG
Neary played 2 posts OC/LG
Kolone played LG in the late 3rd & 4th quarters
Williams played RT for the first half until injured.
Lucas played LT in the late 3rd & 4th quarters

Summary: Darrell Williams played a very good first half @ RT best I have seen from him. Jake Eldrenkamp saw his first gm where he played RT. In 2017 Jake Eldrenkamp played 3 interior OL posts in pre season OC/OL/RG. I thought he played well, he is now moving into playing four OL posts for Kromer this will bare watching. Rookie Brian Allen is one mean nasty OL who blocks past the whistle & is tough for NT to throw around one on one. Joseph Noteboom is a pure consistent technician playing @ all three posts. Austin Blythe just keeps getting better & better. Cornelius Lucas is fading. Lucas appear to be behind Noteboom, Williams, Demby @ OT & even Eldrenkamp may be gaining on him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's the line up on the OL:
1st Quarter
LT- Noteboom
LG- Blythe
OC- Allen
RG- Brown
RT-Williams

2nd Quarter
LT- Noteboom
LG- Neary
OC- Allen
RG- Blythe
RT-Williams

Late 2nd Quarter
LT- Demby
LG- Allen
OC- Blyhte
RG- Noteboom
RT- Williams
*Note:When RT Williams was blindsided hit to the head by Raiders #95 Noteboom went to RT & Neary came in to RG

3rd Quarter
LT- Noteboom
LG- Neary
OC-Allen
RG- Demby
RT-Eldrenkamp

Late 3rd quarter
LT Lucas
LG- Kolone
OC- Neary
RG- Eldrenkamp
RT- Demby
4th Quarter
LT- Lucas
LG- Kolone
OC- Neary
RG- Eldrenkamp
RT- Demby

Noteboom played 3 OL posts-LT/RT/RG.
Blythe played 3 OL posts OC/RG/LG.
Demby played 3 OL posts RG/RT/LT.
Eldrenkamp played 2 posts RT/RG
Allen played 2 posts OC/LG
Neary played 2 posts OC/LG
Kolone played LG in the late 3rd & 4th quarters
Williams played RT for the first half until injured.
Lucas played LT in the late 3rd & 4th quarters

Summary: Darrell Williams played a very good first half @ RT best I have seen from him. Jake Eldrenkamp saw his first gm where he played RT. In 2017 Jake Eldrenkamp played 3 interior OL posts in pre season OC/OL/RG. I thought he played well, he is now moving into playing four OL posts for Kromer this will bare watching. Rookie Brian Allen is one mean nasty OL who blocks past the whistle & is tough for NT to throw around one on one. Joseph Noteboom is a pure consistent technician playing @ all three posts. Austin Blythe just keeps getting better & better. Cornelius Lucas is fading. Lucas appear to be behind Noteboom, Williams, Demby @ OT & even Eldrenkamp may be gaining on him.

Bonify - glad to see you back around & had a good vacation!! — Excellent report.

The starters are going to get some extended playing time here soon,so the reps are going to disappear.

TexasRam

Legend
Williams played pretty solid but he did whiff big time on the play that he went down injured.

Noteboom's Technique and efficiency is way ahead of Williams.

Really interested in seeing Noteboom vs some elite Competition.

Williams projects as a low end backup right now in my opinion.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Noteboom is going to be a hell of linemen. I think he supplants Brown as the starter at RG this year.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Noteboom is going to be a hell of linemen. I think he supplants Brown as the starter at RG this year.

Brown has played well and I actually think the extra work has benefited him, however, I don't necessarily disagree as if the OL gets off to a great start and if Noteboom is the actual starter at RG I could see the Rams keeping that line in tact moving forward teaching Brown a valuable lesson.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Brown has played well and I actually think the extra work has benefited him, however, I don't necessarily disagree as if the OL gets off to a great start and if Noteboom is the actual starter at RG I could see the Rams keeping that line in tact moving forward teaching Brown a valuable lesson.
And with any luck, sitting him after a suspension might make him cheaper to sign.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agree on Brown. Noteboom is still much better @ OT than OG, but never know the more he does it things can improve.If Williams is not injured & with Noteboom's effort showing up on the field of play ....Lucas is falling behind fast. Demby may need to trim & lighten up a bit to play right OT this season. He is lugging around a sizeable large truck tire around his torso. Plus he is the last of the five to get off of the line & to set up each & every snap. playing RT His right leg kick snap back is slow & short.

Austin Blythe is a super model of consistent blocking either @ pass or run. I am leaning @ him being our opening day starting RG. Good reward for such large improvement from a dinky WWC center late 2017 pre season. Fact is Blythe does right things on most snaps & plays mistake free ball.I sure see a ton of Kromer on the field in the style of these young OL 'ers play. Its oozes from them.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Re-watched the game twice. I couldn't see any notable difference in the performance level of DWilliams, Cory Lucas and the newly drafted rookies. I could see the Rams going with youth over the 2nd tier vets. Allen is a tree stump. He is hard to move and clogs up the middle. A true throwback. He reminds me of Tom Mack Blythe is solid wherever he plays. I would be shocked if Neary made the team. One or both Williams and Lucas will be cut.

Noteboom was a very good pick. He's gotten better from the first game.

I don't believed they have decided yet who will be backups. Two more games to go befoe they have to decide. I'm guessing they keep nine or ten OL.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't believed they have decided yet who will be backups. Two more games to go befoe they have to decide. I'm guessing they keep nine or ten OL.

Williams was far better than Lucas IMO in the Raider game and with the roster exemption for Brown might make the squad to give the Rams two tackles. Concur with @BonifayRam about Demby, needs to do more push ups away from the table, but a year under Strength & Conditioning under the Rath of Ted, might be just what the Doctor ordered.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonify - glad to see you back around & had a good vacation!! — Excellent report.

The starters are going to get some extended playing time here soon,so the reps are going to disappear.
Not so sure that Whitworth-Saffold-Sullivan & Havenstein will need all that much playing time in pre season as they needed last season when they just met.

This OL played an entire season together in 2017. The Same five 2017 will be the same five in 2018. Those three old gray beards on the left side may not need to do too much in these next two pre season games IMO. It the balance of things here on the OL the needed work of the 5 players reserve unit carries some serious consideration when 3 of the five reserve OL'ers are rookies that will be highly depended on this season & mainly in 2019 season.

I would bet that Kromer is weighing that out right now the Pro & the Cons. I really expect mere cameo appearances from .....Whitwoth/ Sullivan/ Saffold/ Havenstein the next two warm up pre season gms.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
From the hard work and amount of snaps the 1st string got in TC, I agree they don't need pre-season snaps. They're ready and no need to risk injury. Back ups still need to be sorted out.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm much more comfortable with the depth this year than this time last year.

Blythe has proven to be a great signing. The reports that he continues to improve are a huge reflection on Kromer. How did this guy get out of Indy?

Noteboom and Allen seem to be progressing quickly by almost all accounts.

I wonder if the staff sees William's as our future RT? I doubt we re sign Brown, Saffold and Hav. Who stays, who goes?