Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Williams was far better than Lucas IMO in the Raider game and with the roster exemption for Brown might make the squad to give the Rams two tackles. Concur with @BonifayRam about Demby, needs to do more push ups away from the table, but a year under Strength & Conditioning under the Rath of Ted, might be just what the Doctor ordered.

Did you notice how much time Allen logged in @ center? How much time Blythe logged in @ both OG posts? Plus the fact that Demby & Eldrenkamp were playing musical post spots flipping from RT to RG then back flipping back again & again. The 6-5 308 pound Eldrenkamp had only one bad block @ RT. Plus I was taken back & pleasingly surprised by Williams @ RT & that word does not fully fit my thought here.(y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm much more comfortable with the depth this year than this time last year.

Blythe has proven to be a great signing. The reports that he continues to improve are a huge reflection on Kromer. How did this guy get out of Indy?

Noteboom and Allen seem to be progressing quickly by almost all accounts.

I wonder if the staff sees William's as our future RT? I doubt we re sign Brown, Saffold and Hav. Who stays, who goes?

Williams will be the backup RT . Next year is another deal ? We’ll see how players develop.

Aaron Donald is not even signed for this season ? That will play a role.
From the hard work and amount of snaps the 1st string got in TC, I agree they don't need pre-season snaps. They're ready and no need to risk injury. Back ups still need to be sorted out.

When have you seen the first team not together this season ?

Have you seen preseason games this season & the amount of snaps there starters have got in ?

Goff is not going to play without most of the first team in. There is a lot of timing that goes into getting ready for the season.

Brady played the first half last week in NE’s 2nd game. Does he need reps after 20 seasons???

I guessed Lucas should be the starting LT with Goff playing QB(blue font)

Noteboom (Blythe) needs a couple reps with the first unit as well before the season. Kromer is giving him a lot of work now so when he does comeback he will be ready. Noteboom could even take his starting job ? I think the value though is having Noteboom ready to play LT by being mentored from Whitworth.

Who knows ?? What I do know is Williams was the backup LT last season , getting first team reps on Wednesday’s.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Notebloom looked real solid against the Raiders. Not a fan of Williams.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Noteboom had good footwork and held his own. Already looks much better than Williams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a good chance Big Rob makes it now:sneak:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Notebloom looked real solid against the Raiders. Not a fan of Williams.

Williams doesn’t flash, but he does the job.

Noteboom was the first pick in 2018 by The Rams at a position of need. He fits perfect & was an excellent find. The Rams scout the Senior Bowl exceptionally well. To think they got Aaron Donald from there.
Big Rob was another top choice draft nets had ranked later in the draft.
Last year both Everett,Reynolds, & especially Cooper Kupp !!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm saying the starting OL has had enough work in TC against the starting DL in red zone drills, 2min drills and 11on 11 that they don't need to play in pre season games. Why risk getting one of them rolled up on by the other team?

As for DWilliams "doing the job", I've seen him get blown by, by speed rush and get in completely untouched.

Sure I'd like to see the starters get a couple of series in pre-season, but it sounds like McVay is worried about injuries. he's the coach, it's his call if he thinks they're ready.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm saying the starting OL has had enough work in TC against the starting DL in red zone drills, 2min drills and 11on 11 that they don't need to play in pre season games. Why risk getting one of them rolled up on by the other team?

As for DWilliams "doing the job", I've seen him get blown by, by speed rush and get in completely untouched.

Sure I'd like to see the starters get a couple of series in pre-season, but it sounds like McVay is worried about injuries. he's the coach, it's his call if he thinks they're ready.
They’re going to have to get some work in though because McVay isn’t going to put Goff and Gurley in without the 1 OLine.

As for Williams this is the first game footage he did well. Maybe it finally clicked for him, we can hope.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They’re going to have to get some work in though because McVay isn’t going to put Goff and Gurley in without the 1 OLine.

As for Williams this is the first game footage he did well. Maybe it finally clicked for him, we can hope.

Totally agree !! It’s CRAZY to think The Rams Offensive Line is totally ready as well as Goff even playing with Cooks.
Cooks & Goff have taken extra reps after practice,so they know the need the Reps.Especially liventeps.

Andrew Luck said getting sacked felt good,as most QB’s when they take there first live hit.There is always chance for injury.

McVay is looking at his depth & gving players a true chance to prove themselves. It’s silly to take early reps as well. There is a reason In the 3rd game every team players there starters at least over a quarter if not the first half. The Rams will be no different!!!!

Williams has a little nasty to him as well. I like when he has a chance he takes an extra shot at the defender. He is finally learning how to sink his blocks.
Someone said he has leg issues.The first part of training camp he was playing a little hurt. The last week of training camp he started to show up. The backup RT spot will be his.In fact I could see him as the backup LT if Noteboom is starting at RG ? Blythe is better at Center than guard. Right now Blythe is the man.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

1. First game had nothing to do with the training camp at UCI
2. The reason McVay did not play his starters was yes injury,but Th Rams first team got a lot of good reps in with the Ravens First teams !!
3.The Raiders game was one like none of the coaches had seen. Playing the Raiders in preseason & Opening Day !!
4. Of course injuries play a part of things, it’s not all about that. Suh & Whitworth comeback to UCI & took some leadership. They played 1 vs 1 & had a little scrimmage.
5. The preseason is about building momentum into the season. The Rams are going to want to have confidence going into the season .

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The third preseason game is *traditionally* the one where the starters get the MOST work.

The Rams are doing a lot of things differently though so nothing would surprise me at this point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The third preseason game is *traditionally* the one where the starters get the MOST work.

The Rams are doing a lot of things differently though so nothing would surprise me at this point.

McVay already said he going to play his starters. The interesting thing is going to be
who will play RG,at least a rep or too with the starters. Plus just the different rotations.
I think Noteboom gets in there before Blythe ?
Then again Noteboom might be the starting LT. When how this game plays out will tell a lot ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay already said he going to play his starters. The interesting thing is going to be
who will play RG,at least a rep or too with the starters. Plus just the different rotations.
Then again Noteboom might be the starting LT. When how this game plays out will tell a lot ?
Noteboom will be at LT from what McVay said. I’d wager it’s Blythe for this game. Week one is another story.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I posted my quote the day before McVay announced he was going to play starters.

But let's give a guess at the starting offensive line for the Rams this Saturday.
I'm going with;
LT - Noteboom
LG - Blythe
C - Allen
RG - Brown
RT - Havenstein

Who they start could give us a good idea of who they like for the backups.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Darrell Williams has lurked on this Ram roster since May of 2015. DW made the roster because the overall OL talent was one of the worse in NFL. DW had two season's worth of IR events (2015/2016). He is now in his 4th season with only 1 start to his 4 yr career. This is his 4th Training Camp & pre season. second with OL coach Kromer. Up till last week he has been basically a "one post reserve OL'er". Just so happens that one post was the all important LT position. One post reserve OL'ers are very rare in the NFL.:whistle:

I have observed DW since his arrival & I never had a high opinion of him as a reserve OL'er due to the on field performances... he has hurt my eyes with. The more I saw of him play the more I said :hellno: to making the 53 player roster. But until 2018 the Rams had not invested in a drafted reserve LT. Now we did & DW has surely lost his reserve LT position to Noteboom. Kromer is now giving DW a opportunity to earn a position on this 2018 team as a reserve RIGHT OT. DW has never performed well @ RT.....until last weekend(y).:shocked:

Thus far his competition has been veteran Cornelius Lucas, Jamil Demby & now Jake Eldrenkamp. Rookie Noteboom is already a better RT now than DW now. So that has a big effect on this situation with DW too. Lucas appears to be fading away & DW pulling far ahead of Lucas.

First time NFL OT's Demby & Eldrenkamp IMO to be behind DW currently. Things might change here yet. Demby has the good skills more in line with an NFL OG than OT @ this time & has a good chance of earning a position on the 53 roster due to the pending UFA status of OG's Saffold & Brown. Kromer must be prepared to replace both of these starters @ OG. Kromer does not have that problem now @ either OT post. Not good thing for DW.

Now we see Kromer inserting the versatile 6-5 307 pound Jake Eldrenkamp into the OT mixture. Jake now has played in THREE OL posts in pre season gms. I see this due to the present glut of (four) good future starting OG prospects in Blythe, Allen & Demby to go with Brown & Saffold plus Noteboom. I suggest keep your eyes on Eldrenkamp in these next two gms @ RT. Eldrenkamp moves very well for an over 305 pound 6-5 OL'er...issue is Jake has always played inside.

Jamon Brown's 2 gm. suspension looks to play in here positively for DW IMO. With JB not counting in the 53 player total roster. I see the regular season starting OL as this below:
LT- Whitworth/?
LG- Saffold/ Allen
OC- Sullivan/ Blythe
RG- Noteboom/ Demby
RT- Havenstien/?

Note: Practice Squad will contain 2 of the 3 (Eldrenkamp OG/OT- Kolone OG- Neary OC/OG)

Looks like when this regular season opens up there will be a need to have a OT like Darrell Williams on this 53 player roster. Does anyone else see this another way?:bueller:

Last edited:

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Darrell Williams has lurked on this Ram roster since May of 2015. DW made the roster because the overall OL talent was one of the worse in NFL. DW had two season's worth of IR events (2015/2016). He is now in his 4th season with only 1 start to his 4 yr career. This is his 4th Training Camp & pre season. second with OL coach Kromer. Up till last week he has been basically a "one post reserve OL'er". Just so happens that one post was the all important LT position. One post reserve OL'ers are very rare in the NFL.:whistle:

I have observed DW since his arrival & I never had a high opinion of him as a reserve OL'er due to the on field performances :poop: he has hurt my eyes with. The more I saw of him play the more I said :hellno: to making the 53 player roster. But until 2018 the Rams had not invested in a drafted reserve LT. Now we did & DW has surely lost his reserve LT position to Noteboom. Kromer is now giving DW a opportunity to earn a position on this 2018 team as a reserve RIGHT OT. DW has never performed well @ RT.....until last weekend(y).:shocked:

Thus far his competition has been veteran Cornelius Lucas, Jamil Demby & now Jake Eldrenkamp. Rookie Noteboom is already a better RT now than DW now. So that has a big effect on this situation with DW too. Lucas appears to be fading away & DW pulling far ahead of Lucas.

First time NFL OT's Demby & Eldrenkamp IMO to be behind DW currently. Things might change here yet. Demby has the good skills more in line with an NFL OG than OT @ this time & has a good chance of earning a position on the 53 roster due to the pending UFA status of OG's Saffold & Brown. Kromer must be prepared to replace both of these starters @ OG. Kromer does not have that problem now @ either OT post. Not good thing for DW.

Now we see Kromer inserting the versatile 6-5 307 pound Jake Eldrenkamp into the OT mixture. Jake now has played in THREE OL posts in pre season gms. I see this due to the present glut of (four) good future starting OG prospects in Blythe, Allen & Demby to go with Brown & Saffold plus Noteboom. I suggest keep your eyes on Eldrenkamp in these next two gms @ RT. Eldrenkamp moves very well for an over 305 pound 6-5 OL'er...issue is Jake has always played inside.

Jamon Brown's 2 gm. suspension looks to play in here positively for DW IMO. With JB not counting in the 53 player total roster. I see the regular season starting OL as this below:
LT- Whitworth/?
LG- Saffold/ Allen
OC- Sullivan/ Blythe
RG- Noteboom/ Demby
RT- Havenstien/?

Note: Practice Squad will contain 2 of the 3 (Eldrenkamp OG/OT- Kolone OG- Neary OC/OG)

Looks like when this regular season opens up there will be a need to have a OT like Darrell Williams on this 53 player roster. Does anyone else see this another way?:bueller:

How about beginning the season with just 8 OL, the 8 listed above? No injury issues for the OL going into week one, use that extra roster spot for a player your not sure will make it to the practice squad.

Williams sure looks like the front runner for that 9th spot, however will need to cut an OL when Brown returns, most likely would be WIlliams. Also several teams are having injury issues with Tackles, a low round draft pick for Williams would be another possibility. He has played a bit better than expected. Thought Lucas would beat him out for that backup spot, has not happened.

Kolone and Eldenkamp do look like the frontrunners for the practice squad.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would like to update my current thoughts on a few of the Rams OL'ers thats on going into the final week of the pre season. I need to revise my thinking from what I have observed:

Joe Noteboom- LT/RT/OG- This rookie continues to improve snap after snap. In the Texans gm. we saw a change up where Noteboom played mostly @ one post...LT. Up till now we have seen him play 3 post's. It could be that Kromer wanted to give the steadily improving reserve OT Darrell Williams @ RT. It was a change-up from what we had seen in the first 2 gms. Since Noteboom has thoroughly proved he is more than capable of playing four OL positions. This rookie Noteboom now has become the most important reserve OL'er.

Aaron Neary- LG/OC/RG- He has been surprising thus far when the Rams took the field Saturday he started @ LG then in the 2nd half came out & started @ OC. Neary got in on 48 offensive snaps 71% of all offensive snaps plus played on Special Teams. No other interior OL got as much play. IMO Neary has shown excellent improvement from when we saw him start in gm #17 last season @ center. Neary made some outstanding blocks Saturday including pushing & maintaining his blocks on that great Kelley TD run..it was Neary that Kelly ran behind. Fact that Neary can play 3 post is sure to carry weight here in these last days of PS. This Eastern Washington product who played with Ebukam & Kupp has done well after his first Training Camp & Pre season with Kromer's teachings. Neary came to the Rams last yr after the regular season began.

Darrell Williams-RT/LT- Sure appears that this 4th yr product has figured it out. Dusted off the former HC Fisher OL coach instructions & has worked hard to learn the right OT post. The last two pre season gms have surprised me his play has been very solid. With OT Noteboom being able to play OG having an extra OT on the roster where Havenstein has a ankle injury & the oldest LT in the NFL is a sound move. DW has one more gm to prove himself worthy to be a solid swing OT for the opening week of the 2018 Rams ....we'll see but it sure looks good. DW has surpassed both Lucas & Demby thus far. Its hard to believe :thinking:this has happen.

:bueller:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I would like to update my current thoughts on a few of the Rams OL'ers thats on going into the final week of the pre season. I need to revise my thinking from what I have observed:

Joe Noteboom- LT/RT/OG- This rookie continues to improve snap after snap. In the Texans gm. we saw a change up where Noteboom played mostly @ one post...LT. Up till now we have seen him play 3 post's. It could be that Kromer wanted to give the steadily improving reserve OT Darrell Williams @ RT. It was a change-up from what we had seen in the first 2 gms. Since Noteboom has thoroughly proved he is more than capable of playing four OL positions. This rookie Noteboom now has become the most important reserve OL'er.

Aaron Neary- LG/OC/RG- He has been surprising thus far when the Rams took the field Saturday he started @ LG then in the 2nd half came out & started @ OC. Neary got in on 48 offensive snaps 71% of all offensive snaps plus played on Special Teams. No other interior OL got as much play. IMO Neary has shown excellent improvement from when we saw him start in gm #17 last season @ center. Neary made some outstanding blocks Saturday including pushing & maintaining his blocks on that great Kelley TD run..it was Neary that Kelly ran behind. Fact that Neary can play 3 post is sure to carry weight here in these last days of PS. This Eastern Washington product who played with Ebukam & Kupp has done well after his first Training Camp & Pre season with Kromer's teachings. Neary came to the Rams last yr after the regular season began.

Darrell Williams-RT/LT- Sure appears that this 4th yr product has figured it out. Dusted off the former HC Fisher OL coach instructions & has worked hard to learn the right OT post. The last two pre season gms have surprised me his play has been very solid. With OT Noteboom being able to play OG having an extra OT on the roster where Havenstein has a ankle injury & the oldest LT in the NFL is a sound move. DW has one more gm to prove himself worthy to be a solid swing OT for the opening week of the 2018 Rams ....we'll see but it sure looks good. DW has surpassed both Lucas & Demby thus far. Its hard to believe :thinking:this has happen.

:bueller:
I've been saying all along, this is the best overall group of offensive lineman that I can ever remember, and Kromer has really moved them around, and most of them have showed some amazing versatility, now I don't know if that is Kromer's thing, or it's a new thing, but it reminds me of the GB Packers, and their philosophy. Whether it be Guard, Tackle, or Center, if a spot opens up, a guy steps in. OT wise, I have always seen this as either Lucas, or D. Williams having a shot at the last spot, and hopefully, we can try to stash some of or Guard, Center types on the P.S., but based on their performance, I think they will be snatched up.

I've seen good things from Neary, and Eldrencamp, all preseason, and they seem a little underrated on this forum. They and the coaches deserve some credit here. Kolone hasn't stood out for me, but that's not a bad thing, necessarily. I have a slightly higher opinion of D. Williams than you, I think I always have. What I seem to like the most about him this year, is he appears a little lighter on his feet, and his effort stands out. He doesn't give up on a play, even if he has to dive at someone, who beat him, or wasn't his man to began with. I can't get a good read on Lucas, because there is a chance that they might be protecting him a little, kind of like the starters, as he may be dinged up, a little. IDK. He has improved though, quite a bit from last year.

I think all of our rookies have performed above expectations, and will make the roster. Noteboom is obviously the standout, and as I pointed out after the 1st preseason game, he just really needs to gain a little more strength, technique, so that he can re-anchor more effectively, which is the only major flaw I see in his game. Noteboom, looks like a first round prospect to me, and a steal. He can play this season, if we need him. Demby needs to work on his body a little bit, but he shows some amazing promise, and Allen has improved every game, he will be our eventual starter at Center.

I think I will stick with my initial prediction on who makes the roster, but I wouldn't be surprised, if a couple guys surprised me. Lol. It's tighter than we think.

So, for me, it's between Lucas, or Williams for that last spot.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hard to get a good read on where the backups stand in Kromers eyes. I think Neary got so much playing time against the Texans is because they wanted to give him one last hard look before he gets cut. Demby only makes the PS. Lucas and DWilliams are neck and neck, and both may end up looking for a job when they cut to 53. Blythe is a lock at first off the bench at C or G. Allen looks better every game he plays and I think he makes the team also.

Rams look to have a very good OL group when the season starts.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hard to get a good read on where the backups stand in Kromers eyes. I think Neary got so much playing time against the Texans is because they wanted to give him one last hard look before he gets cut. Demby only makes the PS. Lucas and DWilliams are neck and neck, and both may end up looking for a job when they cut to 53. Blythe is a lock at first off the bench at C or G. Allen looks better every game he plays and I think he makes the team also.

Rams look to have a very good OL group when the season starts.
Neary has played a bunch, all preseason, they just keep moving him around. I think they will P.S. him, but he could surprise. I don't think there is any way Demby would make it to the P.S. I don't know if Neary, or Eldrencamp make it either, they have shown too much versatility, and serviceable play. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are starters, but they could be valuable backups , and spot starters on other teams, based on all of the football I have watched so far..