Odell Beckham available for trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
WE DID IT AGAIN!!!!! :yay:

We've started a lot of excitement with a thread about getting another one of the bad boys of the NFL. Getting OBJ would complete our "Four Horseman of the Apocalypse"!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to Giants fans the 2 reporting the loudest that the Rams are in on OBJ and are negotiating with him are the 2 least reliable of the people who cover the team. They also are 2 that have shown a major bias against him and want him gone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well in all fairness, if that trade prop was real, the trading team wouldn't have had to give up the 2nd and 3rd rounder.
Because the Giants would have interrupted them after they offered 3 1st round picks and said DEAL!!! before the 2nd and 3rd rounder came out

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
People are underestimating Watkins impact... I wouldn't trust Thomas or Reynolds....if not Obj we gotta draft one high

I recognized Watkins' impact and still don't want OBJ. The two aren't necessarily linked.

I don't think there's a fan here who doesn't realize how good a player OBJ is. He's elite, but it's about everything else.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want what McVay wants.

McVay wants OBJ.

So I want OBJ.

McVay is a coach with one year under his belt. He's brilliant and hopefully will be a Rams' HC for a long time, but he's still a young and relatively inexperienced head coach. Of course the guy imagines a player of OBJ's caliber in his scheme and understands what it would mean. But that doesn't mean he's seeing all those other considerations as well as OBJ's locker room impact.

Snead has put a lot of pieces in place on his team this offseason that come with questions irt their ability to fit in a "We Not Me" environment. If he adds OBJ his young coach might find himself in a situation where it is very hard to keep that locker room mentality that led to their resurgence last year intact. So IMO there's a lot of reason for the concerns we're seeing by the fan base and coaches aren't always right.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJ has averaged close to 7 catches, 94 yards and just under a TD per game when he has suited up, with a washed up Eli Manning throwing him the ball
Yeah, who needs a guy like that?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless he test positive, I'm not sweating it.

If he did test positive...then that's a MASSIVE red flag.

I don't think he will, tho. It's one thing to party with a coked out model. It's another to actually DO the coke.

It's one thing for a fan to have that take Mack. But for a GM it's a different deal.

If I'm the owner and my GM walks in my office to hard sell me on OBJ, he'd better not downplay that video of him actually doing some sort of drug. Because as hard as it is to get caught for doing, say, coke (it leaves your system quickly), the fact is you are taking on risk with OBJ that other players do not have.

And that GM is going to have to sell the owner on not only approving a trade for him, but also a massive contract investment with a lot of guaranteed money. So while fans can have that take above, GMs cannot afford to do so. A good GM will roll that added risk into the equation for the decision making.

So in that scenario, if I'm the owner, the impact of said perceived risk will be seen in the value of the pick/s I approve in trade. Giants won't get two first rounders, unless they find a desperate team. And I hope it's not the Rams.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/28/17174020/odell-beckham-jr-trade-shootaround

What’s Your Best Trade Offer for Odell Beckham Jr.?
With rumors heating up, our staff took a look at where he could land
By The Ringer Staff

odell_trade_shootaround_getty_ringer.0.jpg

Getty Images/Ringer illustration

Los Angeles Rams
Giants receive: No. 23 pick, no. 111 pick, 2019 third-round pick
Rams receive: Beckham

Riley McAtee: By getting Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, and Ndamukong Suh this offseason, the Rams are putting all their chips on the table. Why not crank that strategy up to 11 and add a receiver so talented he practically breaks the physics of football?

Los Angeles may not be able to afford all these stars (plus Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, and Jared Goff), but they’ll be able to maximize their Super Bowl window for at least 2018. And the team will be able to keep more of these players than you’d think: They’re projected to have the second-most cap space in the NFL in 2019, with roughly $90 million. Adding Beckham would be a win-now move for sure, but it wouldn’t sacrifice as much long-term potential as it would for most of the other squads in the league.

San Francisco 49ers
Giants receive: No. 9 pick, no. 74 pick
49ers receive: Beckham

Megan Schuster: If you thought the Eli-Odell commercial was great, just imagine the magic that OBJ and Jimmy Garoppolo could create together — both in ads and on the field. Kyle Shanahan could design incredibly creative schemes for these two, and Odell would never lack for targets on a team that didn’t have a thousand-yard receiver last year.

Beckham deserves to play on a fun team with an exciting quarterback in a system willing to embrace his strengths. We’ll all be winners if this happens — well, except for Rams, Seahawks, and Cardinals fans.

Dallas Cowboys
Giants receive: Dez Bryant, no. 19 pick, no. 116 pick
Cowboys receive: Beckham, no. 139 pick

Zach Schwartz: In 2017, I sat in an office editing NFL Pro Bowl Skills Showdown footage when my coworker Kyle, a Giants fan, pointed something out. Beckham seemed to thoroughly enjoy hanging out with Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott. My coworker dismissed it as nothing, to which I said, “I’m sure that the Cavs’ front office said the same thing watching LeBron James and Dwyane Wade get close at the Olympics.” Kyle looked disgusted.

Here we are a year later, and suddenly Beckham could be on the block. Jerry Jones loves a star, and the Cowboys have the picks to deal for him. Beckham is the only player in the NFL who transcends the sport. Go look at his Instagram follower count and compare it to that of any other player. Beckham is the only guy who is internationally loved. Where could Odell play, get paid, win and stay in the spotlight? Dallas.

The Cowboys have a star QB and star running back both on rookie deals, so paying a ton of money to a star receiver to help get the squad to a Super Bowl makes sense. The problem is that the Cowboys are currently doing this with Dez Bryant. The cap-space issues are for the most part solved if you send Bryant to the Giants along with those picks.

Imagine the coolest receiver getting to sport the league’s best uniform and play alongside two of the most exciting young skill position guys in the NFL.

Houston Texans
Giants receive: Jadeveon Clowney, 2019 first-round pick
Texans receive: Beckham

Paolo Uggetti: Only Deshaun Watson made me do something last season that I wouldn’t have done on any other Sunday that didn’t involve a basketball game: Scramble to get in front of a TV. If it came to it, I’d check to see whether there was any other way I could witness what Watson was doing, online streams notwithstanding. Can you imagine adding the best receiver in football to that equation?

Houston already has DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller flanking Watson, who has already achieved cult hero status since he tore his ACL before we could watch him long enough for the inevitable backlash and regression to occur. Adding Odell into the mix would prevent the chances of that regression from happening and would get us one step closer to Watson’s forthcoming reign over the NFL. Let’s do this.

Indianapolis Colts
Giants receive: No. 6 pick, no. 49 pick, 2019 fourth-round pick
Colts receive: Beckham

Shaker Samman: What action do you take when your franchise quarterback is so injured that people start speculating about whether he’ll ever play again? You do nothing. You sit and wait, and lose a lot — 12 times, to be exact. And then you send your no. 3 pick to a bumbling franchise like, oh, I don’t know, the Jets for their sixth pick and three second-rounders. Now you’re cooking. And when it comes out that your signal-caller is on the mend and might be back in time for Week 1, you go out and make a move.

Since Andrew Luck was drafted in 2012, only two of his receivers have ever totaled more than 1,000 yards. The first, Reggie Wayne, pulled down 106 catches for 1,355 yards in 2012. The second was T.Y. Hilton, who crossed 1,000 four times with Luck as his passer. Hilton is fast and quick, but he’s not the type of wide receiver who can take a game over. Enter Beckham.

With Odell, Luck gets a seminal talent, and someone who can change the state of the franchise overnight. With OBJ at his side, Hilton could be the best no. 2 receiver in the league. Rather than returning to a sorry Colts roster, Luck could come back with the latest player to carry the mantle of “Best Wideout in the World” in his arsenal. And in return, the Giants get to kickstart their rebuild with a handful of draft picks.

Los Angeles Chargers
Giants receive: No. 17 pick, no. 84 pick
Chargers receive: Odell Beckham Jr.

Danny Kelly: If the Chargers want to maximize the last few years of Philip Rivers’s career and truly contend for a Super Bowl, a trade for Beckham (along with a long-term extension) could be just the thing to put them over the top. With a top-tier secondary group and a fearsome pass-rush duo in Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa, that squad’s already got what looks like a championship-caliber nucleus forming on defense.

They should have an effective ground game with Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler, and they’ve got one of the league’s ascending talents at tight end in Hunter Henry. Instead of waiting around for last year’s top pick Mike Williams to emerge, the Chargers could throw Beckham out there opposite Keenan Allen and let Rivers tear defenses up.

Atlanta Falcons
Giants receive: No. 26 pick, 2019 first-round pick, 2019 second-round pick, guard Ben Garland
Falcons receive: Beckham, 2019 third-round pick

Danny Heifetz: I’m a Giants fan, and this week has been exhausting. Trading Beckham would be nuts, both for the Giants’ short- and long-term futures, and it would also be heartbreaking because I love Odell. Unfortunately, sometimes love means letting someone go. I’ve gone through denial, am still working through the anger, but I’m slowly preparing myself for bargaining.

If the Giants have to trade Odell, I want him to flourish. Since he was drafted, the most dumbfounding and joyous part of watching him is how he lights defenses on fire even though the Giants have had virtually no other offensive threats since he joined the team. He deserves to play on a team where he can’t be constantly spotlighted by an opposing defense, but instead can show how magical he is when someone has to try guarding him one-on-one.

The best place for that is Atlanta, which has the cap space next season to give him a new contract. Julio Jones and Beckham would probably qualify as the best receiver combo in NFL history, the Falcons offense could approach 40 points per game, and he can chill with Migos and continue to be a part of the Culture.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Snead pulls the trigger on this deal I'd be shocked because the only way you get to keep him past this year is franchise tag him which will cost nearly 17MIL next year and even more the year after that for a player the offense really and truly doesn't need.
Mostly true...

But

He's worth it...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
OBJ and Watkins aren't on the same planet skill or production wise.

OBJ is a difference maker. Watkins runs a limited route tree and struggled to grasp the offense.
Picking on you Mac....I would beg to differ that these two aren't similar. Much better scheme for Odell for most of his career....Much better QB play.
And

Sammy Watkins runs every single route there is...

Skill is similar..

Production is much different...I blame the QB's (targets & missed opportunities)...(Taylor/Goff)....Eli USED OBJ...sometimes to a fault.
except WRs are valued more than CBs.
Hmmm...this is debatable too....Just looking at our current roster....our DB's are more highly decorated and paid..than the wr's.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJ has averaged close to 7 catches, 94 yards and just under a TD per game when he has suited up, with a washed up Eli Manning throwing him the ball
Yeah, who needs a guy like that?
Who wouldn't want that kind of production from a WR. But the question becomes at least to me is would I want OBJ at that production over the production we get from Aaron Donald? Maybe instead of Todd Gurley? Or how about Jared Goff? Couple that with the asking priced. You're going to lose one of those three more than likely plus you're cutting out the production of our next two 1st round picks, that's their current asking price. OBJ's production at WR better than Todd Gurley and lets say Harold Landry if we pick him this year and say Andrew Witworth's long term successor we pick at 32 next year?

It's really easy to look at what he's put up statistically, when he's been healthy, and say yeah I want that. Unfortunately getting him and meeting his salary demands will have negative consequences on the rest of the roster.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
IMHO we should be seeking a TE and let Reynolds/draft fill Watkins slot.

Cheaper more efficient use of our resources.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But the question becomes at least to me is would I want OBJ at that production over the production we get from Aaron Donald? Maybe instead of Todd Gurley? Or how about Jared Goff?
Clearly McVay and crew aren't asking themselves that question, so I'll side with them on this.
They can afford him, and next year's cap room is plentiful. No reason they cant keep them all the way the cap is going

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clearly McVay and crew aren't asking themselves that question, so I'll side with them on this.
They can afford him, and next year's cap room is plentiful. No reason they cant keep them all the way the cap is going
OBJ wan't to be the top paid WR that's roughly $18 million a year. Donald is going to command $20 million or more. Gurley if he becomes even just a top 2 or 3 paid RB in the next couple years is looking at $14 million then we gotta pay Goff who when he's up will command $30 million if not more. Yeah 4 guys accounting for $82 million there or half our cap. Oh wait we have several other guys around $10 million not to mention Peters who will want to be paid top end CB are at least $16 million a year. Yeah that's sustainable, the cap is going to go up that much :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
IMHO we should be seeking a TE and let Reynolds/draft fill Watkins slot.

Cheaper more efficient use of our resources.

Agreed. Not every team needs a #1 WR in order to succeed. The hated Patriots are but one example. Any future Gronkowski's in the draft?