Odell Beckham available for trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I believe OBJ has said he won't step on the field without a new contract, meaning to me that no trade takes place until the team acquiring him has a handshake agreement on a deal in place. I don't know if that;s even possible, could be tampering. If a handshake agreement cannot be done prior to a trade, then there is more risk to the team acquiring him. Then you do risk an impasse.

The NFL understand this. And they can skirt it by having his management and the Rams talking and just saying, "hypothetically" before every sentence.

Rest assured, the Rams aren't going to give up a 1st and like a pick next year for the chance to be the ones in charge of a holdout.

That's just dumb. IF he comes to LA, they'll have worked out something.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
If we sign OBJ, watch as he starts getting frustrated after 4 games because of McVay's offense and start messing up the locker room

I've never really been worried by Talib, Peters and Suh because those guys will be starters, Wade will let them do their thing and let them be aggressive. Their share of the spotlight depends on their level of play.
For a WR it's very different.

This is a really good point and I agree. We have seen him blow up on the sidelines when he felt he wasn't get enough targets, and that's on an offense where Eli was spoon feeding it to him. In contrast, McVae showed last year he couldn't care less on who the #1 and confused defense throwing the ball all over the place. Wasn't Kupp 1st in receptions, and he's a #3 rookie. And Sammy was 3rd in uyard as the #1? I don't see a situation where OBJ would be ok with that .

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
We dont have a second this year or next. I dont see a trade happening and really i dont want too. I think OBJ would be great but we have a lot of people to pay and i dont like mortgaging our future

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
NO HANDSHAKE DEALS!

We need him lockedup!

Remember what happened to DeAndre Jordan with the Clippers? Handshake deal with Mark Cuban, alot of the Clipper Players and Coaches went to DJ's house in Houston and locked themselves inside until they convinced DJ to stay.

LOCK ODELL UP.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
We dont have a second this year or next. I dont see a trade happening and really i dont want too. I think OBJ would be great but we have a lot of people to pay and i dont like mortgaging our future

We don't need a 2nd to get Odell?????

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
This is a really good point and I agree. We have seen him blow up on the sidelines when he felt he wasn't get enough targets, and that's on an offense where Eli was spoon feeding it to him. In contrast, McVae showed last year he couldn't care less on who the #1 and confused defense throwing the ball all over the place. Wasn't Kupp 1st in receptions, and he's a #3 rookie. And Sammy was 3rd in uyard as the #1? I don't see a situation where OBJ would be ok with that .

Actually, I think Sammy was 4th behind Kupp, Woods and Gurley. Iirc...

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The NFL understand this. And they can skirt it by having his management and the Rams talking and just saying, "hypothetically" before every sentence.

Rest assured, the Rams aren't going to give up a 1st and like a pick next year for the chance to be the ones in charge of a holdout.

That's just dumb. IF he comes to LA, they'll have worked out something.
Yeah, it would make the Rams front office look bad if he left after one year like Watkins did.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, they wouldn't. They can't take that offer because contingent would be that OBJ would report.

He's not going to.

He won't report UNLESS he gets paid OR if he finds himself in the perfect situation.

LA happens to be that perfect situation.

Lemme be clear.

NYG have ZERO bargaining power here.

OBJ was healthy when the Giants said, "trust me, just play and you'll get paid"

Well, he got injured, acted out and now the Giants are saying, "yeah, we've had enough".

So that "trust me" from the Giants means nothing.

I'm CERTAIN that OBJs management is making sure everyone knows he's NOT going to just report because the NYG were able to pick a team's pockets.

It's one thing to not want OBJ because you don't have faith that he will be better under McVay or you just don't see how the finances work and you don't want to see AD's retention endangered.

But this concern isn't a concern AT ALL. As in zero concern.

AND...I'll go further. IF we part with a first round pick, you can bet we have a plan for retaining OBJ and he won't be a one year rental.
You're projecting way too much.
OBJ wants a new contract from the Giants. Because he played last year, and got hurt and wont do it again.
That's it. He hasn't said he wouldn't play elsewhere, that he'd hold out etc.
If the Giants got an offer, they could have accepted it. Period.
Carl Banks "reported" this, as if the ball was in the Giants court to either accept it, or the deal was off.
Of course they would have taken that deal, had it existed

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
seems obj needs to be in the spotlight / center stage. he wont like this offense if that is the case. if the defense is better, say 7 pts less a game better, then thats the same as being able to score an extra TD a game on offense.

watkins was important, but obviously not important enough to keep around for Suh's contract amount. i think this defense has the opportunity to create a lot of TO's by the opposition. remember, the people who interact with these players for 8 or 9 months of the year are making these decisions. until proven wrong, i'll have to give in to their experience and intelligence.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is your maximum offer (If, Any!) to the Giants? Mine would be the Rams 1st (#23) and second 2nd round (#135) picks. I would like to see the Rams get Beckham but will not be very upset/disappointed if they don't! Great talent but would definitely bring some baggage/concerns with him.
I want OBJ as much as anyone, but I wouldn't give more than this year's 1st and some additional pick next year, say one of the 3rd's they will likely get as comp picks

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
You're projecting way too much.
OBJ wants a new contract from the Giants. Because he played last year, and got hurt and wont do it again.
That's it. He hasn't said he wouldn't play elsewhere, that he'd hold out etc.
If the Giants got an offer, they could have accepted it. Period.
Carl Banks "reported" this, as if the ball was in the Giants court to either accept it, or the deal was off.
Of course they would have taken that deal, had it existed

That's just not possible.

NO TEAM is going to trade all those picks without a contingency on reporting.

OBJ's team has said he will not report without a contract. That's to the Giants.

You don't have to be Carnac to realize that's not going to happen.

It is super unlikely that OBJ just "takes the money" because he's been through a 3-13 season and wants no part of that going forward.

So, they can either trade him for the 1st the Rams are offering because it's likely he'll show up there so the trade could be consummated OR they can watch him do a max hold out and then tag him knowing that he still has to agree where or he won't report.

The ONLY even probably connection outside of the Giants has been LA. And too many people with connections inside the NYG building are saying that Beckham to LA is a thing.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leverage? I'm just saying that he IS on video. You can keep your head in the sand, but ignoring it as being irrelevant is asinine. Anybody who would consider trading multiple high picks and extending with a huge contract a player like that without even investigating the drug issue is highly foolish.

It wouldn't come to negotiations with his agent. I don't want him, not if it's going to take a big trade followed by a huge contract.

You keep using these ultimatum statements that are coming from your mouth not mine.

I never called him a “choir boy” or suggested “trading multiple high picks and extending with a huge contract without even investigating”

My OP was saying I’d love to add ODB but not if his contract cost us AD or Gurley.

My subsequent posts were addressing your statement of “the guy is getting in trouble for drugs” as I found that to be untrue...

I don’t find that style of debate very fun when youre attempting to lure me into defending stances I didn’t take. So we’ll have to agree to disagree

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
seems obj needs to be in the spotlight / center stage. he wont like this offense if that is the case. if the defense is better, say 7 pts less a game better, then thats the same as being able to score an extra TD a game on offense.

watkins was important, but obviously not important enough to keep around for Suh's contract amount. i think this defense has the opportunity to create a lot of TO's by the opposition. remember, the people who interact with these players for 8 or 9 months of the year are making these decisions. until proven wrong, i'll have to give in to their experience and intelligence.

Exactly. and if someone as intentional as McVay wants OBJ, I have to trust that he has a plan. That's about the first thing he mentions...having a plan for players so that they are in the best position to succeed.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I believe OBJ has said he won't step on the field without a new contract, meaning to me that no trade takes place until the team acquiring him has a handshake agreement on a deal in place. I don't know if that;s even possible, could be tampering. If a handshake agreement cannot be done prior to a trade, then there is more risk to the team acquiring him. Then you do risk an impasse.

If I understand how his contract works, he can sit out this year, not get paid, become a year older and the same conditions will apply to his contract next year because he's still in his rookie contract. So I believe he will play, even for the Giants, but he might be unmotivated and a bigger headache than he's worth.

Guys like this with this kind of mindset can be more detrimental to the team even if they are loaded with talent.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was mainly taking exception to your assumption that "OBJ plays only 12 games a year."

No assumption in there just a stat. In four years he's played in 47 games. That's less than 12 games a year average. You can spin it whatever way you want but that isn't a number I'm making up. Sammy Watkins, choose whatever word you prefer for this, was criticized by Rams fans when we traded for him for being injury prone and he's played more games in those same 4 years as OBJ. I'm not making anything up just pointing out a fact.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
No assumption in there just a stat. In four years he's played in 47 games. That's less than 12 games a year average. You can spin it whatever way you want but that isn't a number I'm making up. Sammy Watkins, choose whatever word you prefer for this, was criticized by Rams fans when we traded for him for being injury prone and he's played more games in those same 4 years as OBJ. I'm not making anything up just pointing out a fact.
Respectfully, IMO you are spinning it. He missed 12 games last year but has relatively healthy his first three years. One missed game was due to suspension, not injury. Much like Sullivan, he suffered one bad injury after playing pretty regularly for a few years.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Hell no - Giants have asked for at least two first-round picks in return for Odell Beckham Jr

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Respectfully, IMO you are spinning it. He missed 12 games last year but has relatively healthy his first three years. One missed game was due to suspension, not injury. Much like Sullivan, he suffered one bad injury after playing pretty regularly for a few years.
Much like Sammy Watkins, who again was criticized here and by sports fans far and wide, he missed 8 games one year and was otherwise healthy. The numbers are the numbers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's just not possible.

NO TEAM is going to trade all those picks without a contingency on reporting.

OBJ's team has said he will not report without a contract. That's to the Giants.

You don't have to be Carnac to realize that's not going to happen.

It is super unlikely that OBJ just "takes the money" because he's been through a 3-13 season and wants no part of that going forward.

So, they can either trade him for the 1st the Rams are offering because it's likely he'll show up there so the trade could be consummated OR they can watch him do a max hold out and then tag him knowing that he still has to agree where or he won't report.

The ONLY even probably connection outside of the Giants has been LA. And too many people with connections inside the NYG building are saying that Beckham to LA is a thing.
You’re actually agreeing with me in a roundabout way. Carl Banks was stating that the Giants had offer that they had until 4pm to accept.
I say the whole thing was BS
You agree...