Odell Beckham available for trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Beckham is a luxury. Talented player but a total head case. I'd take him but only on favorable terms. I'm pretty ambivalent to him. Kupp should untouchable as far as I'm concerned. He's the kind of guy you want to build around. Beckham? I'm not convinced. I'd take him as a rental as it is clear we are in win now mode but would not want him as part of the core long term despite his talents.
Ok. I don’t ever buy this luxury BS. He either makes your team better or he doesn’t. It then becomes HOW MUCH better.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I was all in on Peters, Talib and Suh. I'm not on board with OBJ at all.
OBJ falls into an entirely different category than those guys. I like defensive guys who are edgy, ill-tempered and nasty.

OBJ is a diva bitch me-first clown.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look, if here were free of course I'd want Beckham. Once you factor in the normal $3-5 million spending margin teams normally keep, plus the practice squad, the Rams will likely need to cut somebody to make room for him.* Add in the loss of the picks, and I don't think it makes sense. People complain about Watkins costing a second for a year's play - but at least he helped Goff develop, and helped the team make the playoffs. The team is likely to make the playoffs without him, and are arguably the favorite to win the Super Bowl.

I want a good young player, probably an edge rusher, with that first. I don't want a hole created to get Beckham, and I would like the Rams to have a little space to fill holes with late cuts. I also don't want a head case who may end up being suspended, if that viral drug video is any evidence.

*Yes, without having to pay a first, and with having a smaller than usual safety margin, and basically only adding rookies or very inexpensive veterans to fill holes the Rams probably could fit Beckham in - but that includes not being in position to offer desirable UDFAs decent signing bonuses and things like that. So if anything goes wrong, the Rams would likely have major holes. I don't think that is desirable. I would rather the Rams find a deep threat in the draft if they don't have one on the roster, while using the first round pick to either fill a major hole or to take BPA

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was all in on Peters, Talib and Suh. I'm not on board with OBJ at all.
OBJ falls into an entirely different category than those guys. I like defensive guys who are edgy, ill-tempered and nasty.

OBJ is a diva bitch me first clown.
But what do you REALLY think about him? :LOL:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is exasperating. I love OBJ's skill but not so much the rest of him. I surely don't want to go into the draft with no 1st or 2nd round picks and cutting more guys for cap room. Although I feel Webster has to be walking the plank, he is good depth if his injury heals quickly. All our attitude is on the defensive side of the ball where Wade can keep an eye on it. Do we want more junk on the other side of the ball? I don't know. I'm sure the moves Snead has been making tells us this is very very possible. I just hope he doesn't outsmart himself this time. With all that said, give me OBJ, the Giants 2nd and 5th and we send our 1st, a 4th, and a 6th with Tavon tagging along.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I really wants us to keep our #23 pick... but even with his issues... I'm not sure you pass up a chance to get Odell Beckham Jr. ...

I'm skeptical ..mostly because of the coke on the bed with the Instagram chick...not a good look...we don't have any dudes like that on our team....even with adding Peters and Talib... ODB brings another element...

but he's one of the best WRs in the league...and he could be the difference in us making it big this year..

so lets say if we were going to use our 1st 3 picks on a couple LBs...and a WR.... just count Beckam as the WR, that you took at #23...and use our 3rd and 4th round picks on LBs....

if we can stretch Barron's contract to make some room... I actually could see us going with Littleton and Barron inside...stretch out Joyner to a long term deal... we can free up enough cap space.. to add some pieces... hopefully draft well in the 3rd and 4th... I'd send this year's 1st round..and next year's 2nd for Beckam... we're due to get some nice comp draft picks hopefully with Sammy and True leaving ...

if we can make it happen.... let's make it happen...

dang

Legend
So for those advocating trading for OBJ - I will ask again...
Where should the Rams collect the $8.5M needed to bring on OBJ? What move(s) could be made to free up the $$$? Release Webster? Restructure Joyner? Trade Barron?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This guy was also saying that Suh was signing a 3 year deal with the Saints.
sDKU71

TexasRam

Legend
Look, if here were free of course I'd want Beckham. Once you factor in the normal $3-5 million spending margin teams normally keep, plus the practice squad, the Rams will likely need to cut somebody to make room for him.* Add in the loss of the picks, and I don't think it makes sense. People complain about Watkins costing a second for a year's play - but at least he helped Goff develop, and helped the team make the playoffs. The team is likely to make the playoffs without him, and are arguably the favorite to win the Super Bowl.

I want a good young player, probably an edge rusher, with that first. I don't want a hole created to get Beckham, and I would like the Rams to have a little space to fill holes with late cuts. I also don't want a head case who may end up being suspended, if that viral drug video is any evidence.

*Yes, without having to pay a first, and with having a smaller than usual safety margin, and basically only adding rookies or very inexpensive veterans to fill holes the Rams probably could fit Beckham in - but that includes not being in position to offer desirable UDFAs decent signing bonuses and things like that. So if anything goes wrong, the Rams would likely have major holes. I don't think that is desirable. I would rather the Rams find a deep threat in the draft if they don't have one on the roster, while using the first round pick to either fill a major hole or to take BPA

agreed. We need a LB with that first pick. I may even do an ILB like Vander Esch them an edge rusher in RD3.

I don't want money spent on OBJ. If he wants in he can come cheap.

We also need OL depth and a tackle ASAP. Otherwise the whole thing comes crumbling down. I may need to dip into FA again next year to get Whitworth's replacement, so need some $$ NOT tied up in a WR.

If Philly was any indication its all about the Oline on offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am beginning to think that Donald was told that he will be allowed to hit free agency. I wouldn't swap Donald for Beckham straight up. One is a high character, hardest working player on the team, a leader and role model for the rest of the team. The other is a malcontent, arrogant, selfish, asshole. I hope this isn't the plan.

Even if things are worked out with AD, (not sure how, if there isn't any money left) I don't think this team needs Beckham to win it all. They didn't need Suh to win it all. Giving up a first for Beckham is likely to hurt their ability to field a winning team for several consecutive years. Shelves need restocking. If Donald is only around for one more season, it will be a huge loss. They don't have a Von Miller to make up for the lost pass rush, and aren't likely to be drafting high enough to get him.

The Rams are going all in this year. It reminds me of when LeBron assembled his dream team. So, would a Superbowl wine make McVay the youngest coach to ever win it? Is that the goal here?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so many assumptions in this thread. go with the flow people.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
First off, I believe that McVay and Snead will create long term success. That said, I also believe that McVay and Snead understand that it will be tougher when Gurley, Goff and some others need to get paid. So why not go "all in" this season to stack the odds in favor of the Rams having the potential to bring home the Lombardi?

If the Rams can pull that off, (we will be celebrating) then the front office must decide which key "core" players will be around long term and which ones will be allowed to walk. At that point, the draft and developing players will be a necessity to keep the train going.

I've said it before. I think there's a potential for McVay to build a "dynasty" by mixing free agents, coaching up players and drafting well. If McVay and Snead can install a culture of winning, free agents will come for short term deals, possible for small money, for a chance at a ring.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So, would a Superbowl wine make McVay the youngest coach to ever win it? Is that the goal here?

The goal here is always to win a SB.
McVays age at the time of any possible SB victory isn't what is motivating the team to win a Championship.

Every team hopes to win a SB every year, but the teams that actually have a chance will always do whatever they can to enhance their chance.

The Rams are enjoying the rewards of having a bold GM, a very savvy bean counter in Demoff, a brilliant communicator and offensive mind at HC, a legendary DC and its all new and happening in L.A.

No, this offseason isnt normal....
...but the reason the Rams are doing all this and not some other team is because we can and they cant.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wildcard with OBJ is that he claims he "won't set foot on the field in 2018 without a new deal."

That does two things... It erodes the Giants' bargaining position, and it ensures that whoever trades for him will have a deal in place in rough terms before the deal is made.

I'm hoping at this point some team swoops in and offers the Giants more. Because I think the owner wants him out, and I think the Rams' first round pick rumors demonstrates they're serious about him.

But if it happens I'll do the same thing I did with some of these other guys, get behind the move and pray it works out.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Kinda surprised this thread isn’t blowing up like the Suh thread. Where’s the obsession, people?

Below, Peter King’s take.

Really wonder if OBJ’s agent is negotiating a potential Rams contract.

I speculated earlier that the cost of acquiring Beckham might be two 1st rounders and a 20 M per year contract... who knows. Interestingly, King and Schroeder talk about similar parameters.

Rams are pulling out all the stops. Snead and McVay just might do yet another one of their “All In” moves.

http://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/03/28/od...ams-mmqb-peter-king?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kinda surprised this thread isn’t blowing up like the Suh thread. Where’s the obsession, people?

i think it's because alot of us aren't entirely excited about this move. this board was close to 100% behind the suh move.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
i think it's because alot of us aren't entirely excited about this move. this board was close to 100% behind the suh move.

Could be.

I’ve gotten giddy with it all.. at this point I’m believing that McVay and Phillips can handle anyone. Maybe McVay can do his Vulcan mind meld and convince even a whiny prima donna like OBJ to become a team player.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend

Below, Peter King’s take.

Really wonder if OBJ’s agent is negotiating a potential Rams contract.

I speculated earlier that the cost of acquiring Beckham might be two 1st rounders and a 20 M per year contract... who knows. Interestingly, King and Schroeder talk about similar parameters.

Rams are pulling out all the stops. Snead and McVay just might do yet another one of their “All In” moves.

http://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/03/28/od...ams-mmqb-peter-king?__twitter_impression=true

The top WR's are making 16-17m per year (Brown, Evans, Hopkins) with $55m the highest guaranteed.

Not that I want to tie up money in OBJ but I would think 55M guaranteed would cut it. He is young so a 5 year 85M deal with 55 guaranteed would make him the highest paid WR.

For a dude that is 25, catches 100 balls for 1400yds and 12 TD's a year that is a solid deal both ways.

Two late first round picks - 23 and 32 is fair. If you feel he isn't going to be a knucklehead.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but if the Rams do I would expect that....or a few 6th rounders thrown in. ;)