Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not me...Once Saffold got both shoulder surgeries, he was pretty stable and reliable and tough as hell. I was sad when he left.

Yeah, the Falcons look tougher than I thought they would be....
Saffold was a hell of player in his prime.....a physical force in the running game that the Rams haven't had inside since. I was very happy when he failed his physical with the Raiders.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I dont get it. The only think I can put my finger on is McVay just thinks he's smart enough to game plan around their deficiencies while we prioritize other positions. This is why we have such a hard time beating SF and other super physical teams.
THIS!!!! Well said....

~ArkyRamsFan~

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Snead is working as we speak on new Olinemen, whether on practice squads or back ups. For a really good player, we might need to wait until midseason for a team not doing well, looking to offload salary for picks/more. I think OBJ is a luxury now when we have such a basic problem on the Oline.

Snead needs to do better with getting quality guys in the next draft.
It’s difficult to get offensive linemen. Teams covet them. Too many college teams don’t run pro style offenses so it’s difficult to evaluate talent. It’s also a difficult transition to the pros for spread guys.

If it were any other position then I’d be more hopeful.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure looks like it's time for Snead to do a repeat of the 2017 OL plan in 2023 when he routed his team's resources in the direction of a couple of very good OL'ers. Since about 2019 Snead has been busy bringing good veterans into the other units & forgot about the OL.

This Rams OL is by far the weakest unit on this team with a hurting pocket passer who has been in the NFL playing behind some of the worse OL's for 13 seasons.

I am really sure Stafford can not last long in the NFL with what we observed last Thursday night.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
It is time for the Rams' impeccable pro scouting department to get to work and identify some players to acquire along the offensive line. The team needs external reinforcements on the o-line, IMO. Another Austin Corbett type acquisition would be perfect. I do not think we have the horses in-house along the offensive line to be a very effective team this year, especially now that Notebroom's durability concerns have proven to be valid after only 1 week (!) into the season. We essentially have to assume our starting LT will miss 30%+ of every year. I hope Jackson is ready in relief...

Allen's knee is also starting to become chronic. This offensive line unit, as compared to a very capable 2021-22 group, is falling apart before our very eyes.

I would also love to see our second round pick in the 2023 draft used on an offensive lineman. After taking Bruss this past draft, that should hopefully set the Rams on a decent path forward.

If I was running the draft, I might even double dip, and use the Rams' 3rd round selection on the o-line, as well, if a suitable prospect is sitting there, i.e. someone that can come in and start right away, ideally at LG if we do not address that position sooner.

Every year, some quality o-line players fall into those draft ranges, as teams go for "sexier" picks. The Rams fell guilty of that quite recently, taking Atwell over Humphry. Havenstein was a 2nd round pick and that investment has paid off hugely, serving as a pillar at RT for many years.

After QB, the offensive line is the most important position on the team, IMO. You win and lose in the trenches. NFL success if boiled down to 3 steps could probably be the following: 1 - get a star QB; 2 - protect your star QB; 3 - acquire players that can neutralise opposing star QBs. The game is always evolving, but the importance of the trenches stays constant.

You need to invest in o-line. The Rams did that with Havenstein, and also by signing Whitworth to his big free agency contract when McVay arrived. For whatever reason, the position group has been largely ignored since, at least in terms of real investment, and the results show that. You cannot build any position group at the NFL level exclusively with late round picks and expect good results. Certainly not Super Bowl results.

EDIT - I am aware Noteboom is a 3rd round pick, and so it is no surprise he is one of our more capable linemen when healthy. The problem is he is always injured.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Sure looks like it's time for Snead to do a repeat of the 2017 OL plan in 2023 when he routed his team's resources in the direction of a couple of very good OL'ers.
Truly do share the concern but that's going to be a real challenge.

Even in 2017, it was really just one move ... signing Whitworth in Free Agency; and that was to a contract that many thought was excessive but necessary to bring a aging but competent LT to a perennial-loser. Of course, it turned-out to be a great signing of a veteran who had a ton left-in-the-tank and was a phenomenal-leader.

As I recall, the John Sullivan signing was a low-risk (veteran minimum) addition later in the off-season; and came only after the Rams' offer sheet to restricted free agent Ryan Groy was matched by Buffalo. Rams really lucked-out with that move, as Groy never was a good-starter, and Sullivan was an excellent addition.

The other three guys that started (Saffold, Brown and Havenstein) were all hold-overs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you look at the way lines are built around the NFL there's all different approaches. It's perfectly viable to build a good line with higher picks, develop your own from mid/lower picks to UDFAs, or sign FAs, and usually it's a mix of those things. So their approach is fine I think, especially given how they build their roster overall.

Previous seasons I've looked at the OL chart and thought we're in trouble and generally the Rams end up being ok. I think 2019 the line came up short, though there were other issues going on that made it worse like Gurley falling apart, Goff regressing, and an ineffective RB room. But for the most part the Rams have had the line come through for them.

One of the reasons I think that's the case is because we use so much misdirection and boot actions and whatnot that you can get away with some lesser pieces up front. But where we've paid is the physicality and being vulnerable to physical fronts. It's a big reason we lost in 2018 in the big game, and it's contributed to most of the struggles we've seen Sean's teams have. It is part of the reason why we won that Super Bowl by the skin of our teeth and had to come back vs the 9ers in the NFC Championship.

I get them going with Boom, it was worth a shot and still is. If he can get the job done they look really good with their line investments. But if he is not good enough then things look different, so we need him to have a strong season. Lines are weird too and guys play different with different players next to them, so a lot of the comms up front were undoubtedly effed up in that opener. And it's not like it was a surprise, we knew going in that was a big front that would test us. I knew Boom was in for it, just didn't think the line would be overrun.

Part of the current outlook is due to Bruss getting injured. That was a big loss because they drafted him for his strength and to help start turning that around. So I think they're aware of the problem. Thing is now we're going into game two dipping into our depth and have guys like Evans on said depth chart. It's pretty ugly. Questions at the top with Boom and RG and then on the depth chart as well are a bad combination. So if we come up short this season I think some extra draft investment in the line will be in order.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Part of the current outlook is due to Bruss getting injured. That was a big loss because they drafted him for his strength and to help start turning that around. So I think they're aware of the problem. Thing is now we're going into game two dipping into our depth and have guys like Evans on said depth chart. It's pretty ugly. Questions at the top with Boom and RG and then on the depth chart as well are a bad combination. So if we come up short this season I think some extra draft investment in the line will be in order.

100%. To play devil's advocate though, offensive line injuries are very common in the NFL, with guys getting rolled up on etc.

And surely they were not counting on Noteboom to play a full season. Which is problematic because he occupies the most important offensive line position of LT.

If anything, the Rams should be focusing on better o-line depth than other teams, given Notebroom's injury propensity, and McVay seemingly wanting to run a traditional drop-back-and-pass offense since acquiring Stafford. Gone is all the mis-direction etc. I am fine with that type off offense, and thinks it maximises many of the Rams' strengths, but you need capable pass protection to run it.

The Rams have been very fortunate with offensive line health in recent years. It was only a matter of time until the luck ran out. I have long argued that the Rams' depth on the o-line is a big concern. It luckily did not burn us in recent years.

I still hope McVay's tremendous pro-scouting team is working day and night to scour for bargain acquisitions that can come in and make a difference. Corbett part II.:hope:

Shuie3225

Starter
Truly do share the concern but that's going to be a real challenge.

Even in 2017, it was really just one move ... signing Whitworth in Free Agency; and that was to a contract that many thought was excessive but necessary to bring a aging but competent LT to a perennial-loser. Of course, it turned-out to be a great signing of a veteran who had a ton left-in-the-tank and was a phenomenal-leader.

As I recall, the John Sullivan signing was a low-risk (veteran minimum) addition later in the off-season; and came only after the Rams' offer sheet to restricted free agent Ryan Groy was matched by Buffalo. Rams really lucked-out with that move, as Groy never was a good-starter, and Sullivan was an excellent addition.

The other three guys that started (Saffold, Brown and Havenstein) were all hold-overs.
Those two signings alone transformed the line into a very good one which lead us to a super bowl. Outside of those two players and the Corbett trade, the Rams have not brought in any external players for OL in 6 years. Not via trade it FA. And many of the current OL have played very bad football. Or depth is comprised of mid to late round picks and UDFAs. Noteboom, Allen in 2019 were horrible and both injured. Evans has been horrible as a starter Edwards has been horrible and is best as a backup option. We haven't drafted a "world beater" that has come in from day one and dominated. All have marginal talent and have been inconsistent and haven't shown they can stay healthy. A big talent infusion is needed but I have no clue how we accomplish that.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
IM telling you right now Anchrum is going to be good. I watch every Clemson game and he was real good and was his best against the top teams.

Hes going to do a solid job for us.

Psycho_X

Legend
IM telling you right now Anchrum is going to be good. I watch every Clemson game and he was real good and was his best against the top teams.

Hes going to do a solid job for us.
Would be nice if he takes this opportunity and runs with it... shows that he deserves to be a starter. Then when Allen comes back if Edwards continues to struggle as badly as he did against Buffalo move Anchrum over there. Edwards would make a good backup tackle/guard and would allow us to get rid of Evans finally.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Those two signings alone transformed the line into a very good one which lead us to a super bowl.
That was my entire point; and that it was really just the Whitworth signing that was viewed as a major move.

The Rams took a gamble on Sullivan who had played little in the prior couple of years due to a back injury. Sullivan was a back-up in Washington under McVay in 2016, and the Rams took a flyer because the offer sheet on the free agent they targeted (Groy) was matched by the Bills.

Again, one big move, one minor move and coaching-up of three players previously on the roster.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have to wonder about today’s definition of injury versus being a little dinged up. As big and strong as these guys are too many of them seem to be “injured” and don’t show the heart to man up and still give a great performance like players of the past.

Without details of what happened to Boom, I know it’s speculation however, the evidence is piling up.

Allen we know is damaged goods but has been able to put in some good performances. Was he already having an issue with the repaired knee before the start of the season?

Bad luck, complacency, less than 100% effort to protect the franchise? Whatever it was that first performance was uncharacteristic and I expect better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have to wonder about today’s definition of injury versus being a little dinged up. As big and strong as these guys are too many of them seem to be “injured” and don’t show the heart to man up and still give a great performance like players of the past.

Without details of what happened to Boom, I know it’s speculation however, the evidence is piling up.

Allen we know is damaged goods but has been able to put in some good performances. Was he already having an issue with the repaired knee before the start of the season?

Bad luck, complacency, less than 100% effort to protect the franchise? Whatever it was that first performance was uncharacteristic and I expect better.

What ? Actually you could be right Brian Allen’s health wasn’t 100% right during training camp.I wonder about his bad snap. He was trying to hurry up to block & he had time. There was no pressure.

Don’t understand your take on Boom,unless it is his injury? When they say mcl I thought was always worse than a acl?Guess now it might be backwards. Big Whit I believe had a mcl ?

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
If we want a power OG, maybe it’s time to accelerate the learning curve of our International rookie, Mr Pircher???