Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
All you have to do is look at the difference in how Juszczyk blocks and Skowroneck blocks to see the difference. Juszczyk is a FB and blocks like one. He will blow a LB out of a gap whereas Skowronek blocks like a WR, i.e. he impedes the LB but doesn't really move him. That is why for years I've been saying if McVay is serious about running then use a power blocked scheme for his OL and use a FB for a lead blocker to get that last LB out of the way. We saw how effective it was with Benny Skow who allowed the RB to get through the hole.

It's about blocking schemes and personnel, i.e. using a FB. If you run without a FB you are really limited to OL zone concepts. This is why in the Ram's first SB the Pats went with a 6 man front. Without a FB lead blocker, there was always one man too many to block. It's why that front still works when teams want to shut the Ram run game down.
What I think you’re missing is that the whole point of Skow in that role makes defenses decide on a personnel grouping. They bet that by going “11” the defense takes an LB off the field…. Making it easier to run in.
The fullback makes that decision clearer for a D to keep an LB on the field.

dang

Legend
Is this BOD? Bengals on Demand?

Tough crowd this year so far.
Some on this forum will not be satisfied Unless the Rams go 20-0 with no games closer than 10 points. I’m guessing they haven’t been Rams since the 70s or 80s like some of us a little longer in the tooth. If it was easy or automatic it wouldnt be as epic as when it does happen.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Some on this forum will not be satisfied Unless the Rams go 20-0 with no games closer than 10 points. I’m guessing they haven’t been Rams since the 70s or 80s like some of us a little longer in the tooth. If it was easy or automatic it wouldnt be as epic as when it does happen.
Could not agree more. It’s so tough to win in the NFL.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
For losing a starter and the #1 backup... I think the Oline is doing pretty damn good.

Can someone who's really into Oline play give us a take on Alaric Jackson's day... and Shelton at Center?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’ve been a Ram fan since 76’. It’s harder to win now than it’s ever been. This team is shooting itself in the foot too often to beat good teams. There is a lot for McVay yo get cleaned up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For losing a starter and the #1 backup... I think the Oline is doing pretty damn good.

Can someone who's really into Oline play give us a take on Alaric Jackson's day... and Shelton at Center?
I think the two of them, minus the penalties today, are playing very well. It may all be because Jackson is that much better at guard, and makes Shelton’s and Robs jobs easier.

This goes back to what I always say about needing two studs on the line. A very good player makes it easier for the guys on either side to do their job. A poor player makes it harder. Jackson looks like a stud that the line was missing.

Like Shelton at center. He is more physical in the run game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the two of them, minus the penalties today, are playing very well. It may all be because Jackson is that much better at guard, and makes Shelton’s and Robs jobs easier.

This goes back to what I always say about needing two studs on the line. A very good player makes it easier for the guys on either side to do their job. A poor player makes it harder. Jackson looks like a stud that the line was missing.

It sure appears that the Rams have found a very good young large RG in Alaric Jackson. Even LG David Edwards had a good clean game.

My thought now is ...it would be a big mistake to remove RG Jackson from the starter to the bench.

MachS

Hall of Fame
It sure appears that the Rams have found a very good young large RG in Alaric Jackson. Even LG David Edwards had a good clean game.

My thought now is ...it would be a big mistake to remove RG Jackson from the starter to the bench.
Agreed. The line has definitely played better. I think at this point Edwards is the weak link and Allen has lost his job. AJ is playing well and Shelton is solid at C. As long as Noteboom plays well Edwards should be okay for the time being.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

HELLO BONIFY’D?

A little late to the party? Good call,but I had said that during the preseason,before Brusssss got hurt & Anchrum took over.
Would have been nice to see what Anchrum would have done,but better yet seeing A’Jackson playing RG on that first drive against the Falcons was cool.
The way he opened up holes as well on especially on cut backs taking a DT on the left side of the field.

Jackson also looked good next to your Boy playing RT on a TD drive against the red birds.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The 10 yard hold on Shelton was not good,but Stafford bailed him out.I like him at center & the was Stafford pats him on the AZZ.

If Brian Allen stays on the bench IMO would be better for The Rams as of now. Like Bonifay’d stated that he would leave Jackson at RG,just shows
how size at RG helps control the line of scrimmage a little better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Against the 9ers will be a True Test!!

I’m so close,but yet so close to going to the game(Monday).

In spirit it is Hard to Say? In my mind though,let’s see?I guess my biggest question is who controls the O” & D” Lines ?

Cam Akers is the biggest piece to the puzzle

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

This concept has always been my defense of Allen in 19. Blythe was just too small for a guard.. especially next to an under-sized center... and Noteboom just doesn't have the power to be a guard.
Shelton, I think, is benefitting from having two big-ass guards next to him.. we'll see how Evans does.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This concept has always been my defense of Allen in 19. Blythe was just too small for a guard.. especially next to an under-sized center... and Noteboom just doesn't have the power to be a guard.
Shelton, I think, is benefitting from having two big-ass guards next to him.. we'll see how Evans does.
I think McVay or Snead have been looking for these imaginary Olinemen that can be found from round 3- UDFAs. My guess is he wanted more of a Mike Shanahan zone type. Sacrificing size for agility. I think DLineman are bigger, stronger, and faster since Shanahan’s Bronco Olines dominated in the run game. I don’t think the exact formula from the 90’s works anymore. Even Kyle Shanahan has bigger bodied Olinemen than his dad did.

Allen will never be great, but yes, Blythe was not good enough. Yet the Rams coveted him at one point. I hope we are seeing a new trend. More Aleric’s and less Austin’s.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think McVay or Snead have been looking for these imaginary Olinemen that can be found from round 3- UDFAs. My guess is he wanted more of a Mike Shanahan zone type. Sacrificing size for agility. I think DLineman are bigger, stronger, and faster since Shanahan’s Bronco Olines dominated in the run game. I don’t think the exact formula from the 90’s works anymore. Even Kyle Shanahan has bigger bodied Olinemen than his dad did.

Allen will never be great, but yes, Blythe was not good enough. Yet the Rams coveted him at one point. I hope we are seeing a new trend. More Aleric’s and less Austin’s.
Didn't we know that last year when they tried to make Corbett the center but Evans was a total fail at guard so they moved Allen in?

I think they've been moving in that direction... Bruss is a good example, nothing undersized about him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn't we know that last year when they tried to make Corbett the center but Evans was a total fail at guard so they moved Allen in?

I think they've been moving in that direction... Bruss is a good example, nothing undersized about him.
Yeah, it just took too long for them to figure it out.