Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Floyd & Hollins were "NO SHOWS" Thursday night on the field.
Floyd needs to be our second-best guy coming from the edge or at minimum have an equal. He gets taken out of games often when we don't have somebody complimenting him on the other side

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Ehh not really. In 2019 he looked horrible and then got hurt. Last year was really the first time he looked good, and he did look very good vs AZ and TB in the playoffs. But a 3 game spot start is different from being asked to start at LT versus the all the best edge rushers in the league. And we already paid him the $40M too.
You are correct about 2019. But wasn't he playing LG then with Whitworth at LT? He looked bad at LG but, to be fair to him, he was playing out of position. At a post that is a poor fit for a pass blocker dominant player that lacks power and often cannot run block well. At LT, the sample size is smaller.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well it's not like Boom had shown himself to be durable or anything. But that didn't take long did it.

Might end up being a good thing that we have 3 QBs after all. :laugh3:

I don’t know if your serious or joking?

The thing that sucks & BubbaRam can say what he wants about the weak link or not? He could be right,but David Edwards wasn’t that good either.

His false start real changed the first part of the game & didn’t let the O’line(offense) settle.That really put the pressure on. Then he gave up a sack as well.

What I know & I saw was how Noteboom was working on his step back. Mcvay doesn’t let his starters go live in preseason. Noteboom needs live so he can get comfortable & experience(practice) his technique live.

Brian Allen I could really careless about. Shelton is like Austin Blythe.He is a twinner that is probably better at center than guard because of there smaller size.

I never understood not going for a Center in 2021 & Humphries. Les Snead? I don’t know if that was a Mcvay thing. Mcvay liked Bruss & knew he needed a RG.

Hard call? I’m a True Rams Fan so Lossing doesn’t really matter to me. The fact The Rams won The SuperBowl at SOFI was incredible.

I know Merlin you always talk your talk. What I know is there are a lot of FAIR WEATHER FANS out there. They come out of the closet & then you never know where they’ve gone. That party in LBC & just having a Thursday Night Game. The Bills gained a lot of Fans & The Rams lost a lot of Fans.

I would have LOVED to have seen KEVIN DEMOFF on Thursday with a Video Camera in his ROOM at SOFI. I think they have to CHILD PROOF the thing & have Pads so he doesn’t bust to many of his body parts.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Floyd needs to be our second-best guy coming from the edge or at minimum have an equal. He gets taken out of games often when we don't have somebody complimenting him on the other side
Bonifay’d wants to forget about the Nick Scott fumble. Hollins was being a WUSS & giving like Zero effort.He shuts down. IMO Chris Garrett gives a better effort than Hollins does every down.Hollins does good in practice. I still wish Mcvay would have let that play go off. Chris Garrett would have made Noteboom get embarrassed right in front of ALL THE RAMS FANS. He knew it & called for the next drill. The way he did it was INSANE! Mcvay knows me as a Fan. Just in general as cheering players IMO. I know Demoff & Snead does a little. Demoff wanted a piece of me 6(5) years ago? Must have been Mcvay’s rookie season.This was the last season the Fans had the Full circle at Irvine.

Just to go back. Hollins was spacing out,but then saw ball & gave a good effort & came up with a Big Fumble.
We all know The Rams needed a Edge.We all saw what Von Miller Meant to The Rams.

I like this kid out of AMEN-Cross #51.He looks the part & can play special team. Not sure if he was on the 48? He is on the 53.This other kid #44 the same thing. They will give effort & continue to get better.

As a Ran Fan I always like the kids(rookies).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Les Snead must be REAL UPSET? Then again he does better with the Late Picks & UDRFA’s.

AJ Jackson 2nd year UDRFA.IMO the kid on the practice squad is better at LT & I would put AJ Jackson at RG.

You ALL(maybe know) might think I’m crazy,but then again I’ve said it through the start of training camp.

Mcvay has to own this I can(will) bring up some old post in 2019(18) when he really went all in.

Noteboom is DONE!! He has proved he had durability issues.Big Whitworth won’t come back,because The Rams have to tough of a schedule & will battle just to come close of making the Playoffs.

What I’m saying about Noteboom is he needs more live time. He needed just some LIVE game Tape. Mcvay always talks about that,but is to STUBBORN & BIG EGO to think out side the box on Noteboom.He has done it his WHOLE CAREER. It doesn’t HELP HIM.
That BULL RUSH by Von Miller said it all. He can work on his football all day long. Big Whit could show him where he should be & put his weight & balance. Until you do it live you don’t get that real game experience & confidence. It’s like a relief pitcher or anything else. If you don’t have confidence you never get comfortable.

7th rd pick 3 seasons ago T. Anchrum gets his chance.I don’t know.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BTW Oldbutnotdead & Bonifay’d.

If I recall ? Isn’t there some coach on the Bills that you ALL think sucks?

Our little Carberry(ie) gets a lot of solid credit.I was always a Kromer Fan. Don’t ever notice Zak around?
You can’t go over close to the O’Lineman. I stand in this gate 5 yards out from the closets fence to try to look. It takes forever to get back more than 1 time during a practice.

Anyways I’m excited to see how this all holds up.I like Snyder,but Kolone is ready anytime & has that experience.IMO Snyder bulks up & comeback at some point?

The MSU rookie should get called up from practice squad ?

I didn’t watch the whole game so I will watch it from the start again.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No one knows when Noteboom first sprung that knee ligament. It may have been very early in the game & he later damaged it worse. Noteboom has done very well for this Rams team starting & replacing during games that Whitworth was injured. He started in the playoffs games too & was good.

Every one of us has had really bad days @ work & in life on days off, when everything possibly goes wrong. I know I always thought I had more than most others at times. Most successful people fight back & become better from those types of happenings......Noteboom when healthy will do the same.

Noteboom has my full backing & faith as our starting LT. Last season 2021 Noteboom during regular season games only got 16% of the offensive snaps. So he is still early in his career as a starting LT in the NFL. Noteboom while injured got spanked hard by a future HOF'mer.

His weakness right now is remaining healthy & keeping from being injury prone & that's it. He has the skill to be a very good starting LT when healthy.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
His weakness right now is remaining healthy & keeping from being injury prone & that's it. He has the skill to be a very good starting LT when healthy.
Totally agree here, but right now, it appears he can't make it through a game unscathed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Totally agree here, but right now, it appears he can't make it through a game unscathed.
The Rams Org might need to seriously rethink the MR53 OL makeup after what happened against the Bills. With your starting LT & OC injured Bobby Evans is now, even more, closer to starting somewhere :scream:

Brian Allen must have had something tear away in that badly damaged knee...most like some scar tissue or something close to that. That knee was badly damaged & he has been working through it since returning. Allen has been playing with a massive brace on that knee. Rams knowing that gave the RFA center Coleman Shelton a 2 yr contract instead of an RFA contract. Highly unusual & something we have never seen by the Rams Org. So there must be some high degree of concern over Allen's damaged knee to secure & pay highly for the backup center Shelton.

Then in early Training Camp Shelton ends up as the #1 RG, because OT Logan Bruss is not as prepared for RG & the NFL as Snead's scouts thought. Not what you would expect for your top draft selection. Now the game-day center position is muddy with Shelton starting @ RG. Well, the mud got slung Thursday night all over the OL & the center went down. The Rams do not have an NFL legit backup center now one game into this season.

Now we will find out if 7th rd selection OT Tremayne Anchrum can be an effective starting interior RG for the next month or more. Anchrum was not impressive in the preseason.

Back-up Center Jeremiah Kolone is a walking guaranteed sack producer. Kolone can do a decent job centering & not making mistakes with his best skill being run blocking but only within a few feet. Don't ask him to move away from the LOS or pass block too often.

I would ask Snead to cease drafting OT's to morph inside & PLEASE get serious in the 2023 draft & secure a good true college starting CENTER!

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would ask Snead to cease drafting OT's to morph inside & PLEASE get serious in the 2023 draft & secure a good true college starting CENTER!
Agreed, but at this juncture, IMO, the Rams need to make a deal. Not sure what is out there, but they need somebody who can play RG. If they find that, the can address LT next year in the draft because IMO, Shelton & Allen can man the Center position. Also maybe they can find another Center later in the draft too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You are correct about 2019. But wasn't he playing LG then with Whitworth at LT? He looked bad at LG but, to be fair to him, he was playing out of position. At a post that is a poor fit for a pass blocker dominant player that lacks power and often cannot run block well. At LT, the sample size is smaller.
I wll note here that I think Boom is more solid in pass pro than dominant. They knew this matchup with Von was gonna be tough for him but I doubt they expected him to get dismantled. It was a hall of fame draw though, a very tough matchup for him. Von elevated their front just like he did for us.

Boom just needs to have a short memory and keep improving. He controls where this is gonna go so take advantage of the next couple matchups and build that confidence then handle Bosa well and he should be good to go. Bosa is his next big test.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

It was not just the Rams OL ......the defense was not any better.

"As if things couldn’t have looked worse for Los Angeles in the loss, this play showed just how ineffective their front seven was, even against a simple run scheme."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

It was not just the Rams OL ......the defense was not any better.

"As if things couldn’t have looked worse for Los Angeles in the loss, this play showed just how ineffective their front seven was, even against a simple run scheme."
Dear lord, that link should come with a parental warning for Rams fans. Those were truly hard to watch. Noteboom was on skates on all night. I just don't know how the Rams can compete with good teams with this OL and DL. They are too small on both fronts and it really shows. That was men against boys out there. Yikes.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
Dear lord, that link should come with a parental warning for Rams fans. Those were truly hard to watch. Noteboom was on skates on all night. I just don't know how the Rams can compete with good teams with this OL and DL. They are too small on both fronts and it really shows. That was men against boys out there. Yikes.
Can't completely go by his breakdown on the OL because in the 4th qtr behind 31-10 - your OL is going to do shit

However, Noteboom did have a tough night the first 3 quarters as well. But was doing way better than what Baldinger showed him doing in the 4th quarter.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As big a problem as the line is... Stafford's problems against zone coverage don't help.

McVay's attitude may be a problem as well.. and I don't mean he has a "bad attitude."
After the '20 season... McVay had a quote..

"I do think it’s important to have catch-and-run opportunities, but to say that that’s the world that you want to live in – if you do that, the margin for error is so slim and when you’re not efficient on first down, it seems like it’s way too much to try to overcome some of the get-back-on-tracks, the second-and-longs and the third downs."

And I think the league has decided that, well.. that IS the world you're going to have to live in.. at least against the better defenses.

So... some adjustments need to be coming.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere

I might support the 11 personnel formation all the time with VJ (or OBJ if he was here) as the third WR, but certainly not with any of our backup WR's in the third WR role.

Not providing Noteboom consistent TE help on passing plays proved nearly disastrous.

We need a real heavy hitter in the RB room and one TE who is a scrappy blocker first and a receiever second.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The fact that we stayed in 11 personnel for every single snap, and didn't try any 12 to get the running game going or provide a bit more pass pro just blows my mind. Another instance where McVay is stubborn and doesn't want to adjust.
Fair point but look who comes in with 12 personnel. Is Hopkins a guy who moves that bar in the run game.

Truth is we are short on physicality everywhere but WR. So I get them not thinking 12 would do a thing for us in that situation.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Yea another thing to keep in mind...

Stafford and Ramsey were as bad as the OL. I don't expect those two to keep playing poorly, which means it could have just been a bad game for the OL
I think OL performance is often the first domino. When you can't run block, it adversely affects the passing game, then the QB gets rattled, 3-and-outs affect the D, and so on. I hate that our not-so-young QB took so many shots the first game of a long season. I think it's foolish if you think even Staff's psyche isn't affected by getting knocked around.

The other thing I think about is: quality OL are rare. You have to make the investments, and not only that, you have to make it in advance (unless it's via trade), because they take time to develop. We've had one of the best in the game for McVay's tenure at the most important position, but now we don't. But that was an investment that paid off.