Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They did plus Noteboom & Allen both were durability concerns. I really believe Rams have to make a deal here and find someone like Austin Corbett maybe Teven Jenkins of the Chicago Bears. Get him ready at RG keep Shelton at Center and when Allen comes back, decide which player gives you the best opportunity to win.
I would prefer a more pure center than a combo OG/OC, den.

The big worry I expressed over & over for the last few months hit me in the face with the injury to our starting center Allen.

The last time Allen hurt his knee & had a procedure we didn't see him for almost 2 seasons. Would appear that Jeremiah Kolone will get a first-time call-up from the PS to be active against the Falcons. Unless OG Chandler Brewer who has been active for a half dozen or more NFL games can handle the backup center duties we know he knows the OL calls. Let's hope that Tremayne Anchrum is ready for some serious OG action in place of Coleman Shelton.

I would not go into the Falcon game with Joe Noteboom not fully healed with that bad knee. I would roll the dice with Alaric Jackson starting @ LT until Noteboom has got that previously reconstructed knee back to full strength. Jackson did well under fire as a rookie @ LT before no reason to take a gamble with Noteboom this early in the season.

Rams sure look like they could use the cut FB/TE/H-back Roger Carter to help with the run blocking

Last edited:

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Sucks that they're both injured but I really hope A Jackson shows enough to take Noteboom's spot if he has to step in. You can't understate how GOD AWFUL he played...I'm a little less worried about C with Shelton stepping in...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our OL was soft. You could even go a step futher and say shit but soft sums it up best.

McVay is a great coach. We are the champs. But we just played a soft opener and got trucked in every phase.

It's ok to admit it. They should rebound, though the OL depth already is being tested.

Historically the recipe for beating a McVay team is to beat them up physically. He has adjusted to that with his weapons and QB to where he won the big games last year but the strategy remains viable and teams can quickly shut down our soft run game putting everything on the QB.

Is the QB going to be able to do that again? Not so sure about that. Which is why I was hoping to see improvement in the run game, but the guy they earmarked to help us do that got hurt. Plus our RB room is as soft as our OL.

So call me crazy but this looks like Sean thinks he can do the pass only thing again. Which who knows maybe he can get it done again assuming our QB doesn't get killed. But it feels fragile to me. Soft and unlikely to be enough.

And btw I am not upset about all this. I am in fact still riding that championship high. Statistically we are unlikely to defend the title. And it is even more unlikely when you run it back with the same team weaknesses. Hopeful yes, I am hopeful. But also realistic here. This is a bad start, real bad and we look short but would love to be wrong.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
That Bills game gave us a first glimpse of what our weaknesses truly are at the moment. There are definitely things that can be cleaned up scheme wise, but our offensive line needs to play better and Stafford has hopefully knocked most of that rust off. Unfortunately we just keep having shitty luck with our RB room which I know I was concerned about due to their injury history. Can we please just have a RB that doesn't get hurt? Is that too much to ask? No way I'm I throwing in the towel after one game, but the Rams have some stuff to sort out ASAP.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He has adjusted to that with his weapons and QB to where he won the big games last year but the strategy remains viable and teams can quickly shut down our soft run game putting everything on the QB.
The fact that we stayed in 11 personnel for every single snap, and didn't try any 12 to get the running game going or provide a bit more pass pro just blows my mind. Another instance where McVay is stubborn and doesn't want to adjust.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That leaves AJ Jackson and [ulp] Bobby Evans as OL 'depth.'
Hoping Anchrum as solid as reported.
Brain Trust cavalier attitude on OL depth getting tested early.
NOT good. 16 games to go.

BC
Anchrum was always destined to go inside.
Despite being a competent tackle, at his height, it just ain't happening.

It wouldn't surprise me if putting Shelton at Center and Anchor 'em at Guard works out better in the long run than Allen, who I've never really been sold on.

You can only pull so many surprise players out of your rear end like Edwards and Corbett before your luck runs out.
Eventually you need some real draft pick usage.

No regrets as we have a world championship to show for it, but I think I know where we're heading in the draft next year.

A serious bruiser running back and like I've always mentioned a REAL fullback will also help this run game before we get Stafford killed.
I would start with the biggest baddest Center in the draft and AS USUAL the best fullback in the draft, even if we have to use a fourth or a fifth round pick on him.
JMO.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
8 pressures allowed in week 1 by Noteboom and Whit only gave up 20 pressures in 18 weeks last year?! Dear God what a shit show.

100%...

I know we've seen Noteboom play decent in the past but this was awful. I honestly don't know why he didnt get pulled for atleast a series or two. He can't coast on decent play from prior seasons but be a turnstile in the present and manage to keep his starting job.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a few players might have this attitude. Which is a big part of the problem.
That’s absolutely possible.

As a fan, I’m not going to stress as it’s up to the players to figure this out. I’m still enjoying the SB win.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anchrum was always destined to go inside.
Despite being a competent tackle, at his height, it just ain't happening.

It wouldn't surprise me if putting Shelton at Center and Anchor 'em at Guard works out better in the long run than Allen, who I've never really been sold on.

You can only pull so many surprise players out of your rear end like Edwards and Corbett before your luck runs out.
Eventually you need some real draft pick usage.

No regrets as we have a world championship to show for it, but I think I know where we're heading in the draft next year.

A serious bruiser running back and like I've always mentioned a REAL fullback will also help this run game before we get Stafford killed.
I would start with the biggest baddest Center in the draft and AS USUAL the best fullback in the draft, even if we have to use a fourth or a fifth round pick on him.
JMO.
McVay was very lucky he did not get our aging going on 35 yr old, with 14 NFL seasons behind him QB Matthew Stafford killed with that messed-up OL after the game was over in the 3rd quarter. That really worries me.

I am sure that neither of our two backup QB's will not be securing anything more than a few wins by the end of the season. You would think that this supposedly newly improved defense would work well with a running game for a while but the defense was far from what was expected. Floyd & Hollins were "NO SHOWS" Thursday night on the field.

Until that OL gets healthy & fully functioning properly I would suggest a big dose of runs & place the win on the defense until further notice. Save that old worn down QB for any playoff hopes. Might as well bring up Trey Ragas for that broken-down rookie RB Williams.

Last edited:

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I'm glad the Rams are at home again next week because that gives them extra days to prepare for Atlanta. Thursday the Rams got sucker punched in the second half especially. I think it was a one off. We know the Rams are better than that. Miller clued his new team in on our offense and it paid off.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
We got some trade bait. I say we cast out and see who bites…If we are looking for vets we can still obtain someway somehow. What you all think?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they need to find a RB for sure. Hopefully make a move for one who is underrated.

And a depth OL type would be nice too. Maybe raid another team's PS and sign him to the roster.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Noteboom's sample size was always small. He looked very good whenever call upon, but small sample size combined with durability issues made his contract a big over pay IMO, and I stand by that. We shall see if he proves worth it. We'll find out soon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Noteboom's sample size was always small. He looked very good whenever call upon, but small sample size combined with durability issues made his contract a big over pay IMO, and I stand by that. We shall see if he proves worth it. We'll find out soon.
He'll look much better vs Atlanta and Arizona. I don't see a power end on either of those rosters. But SF is going to be a problem with Bosa who is very powerful. Bosa gave Whit probs. So we have two games to get him some confidence and he'll probably need good TE assistance for the SF game.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Noteboom's sample size was always small. He looked very good whenever call upon
Ehh not really. In 2019 he looked horrible and then got hurt. Last year was really the first time he looked good, and he did look very good vs AZ and TB in the playoffs. But a 3 game spot start is different from being asked to start at LT versus the all the best edge rushers in the league. And we already paid him the $40M too.

dang

Legend
Strengthen the OL and the offense will settle down. I believe the OBJ deal has already been agreed to. It’s just a matter of when will he be ready. No need to pay for him while he’s rehabbing. I’m not worried about the defense roster. I think Rochelle is needed and someone needs to step up in the pass rush or they need to find a trade partner.