McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some folks long for the good ole' days....

haZvNNh.gif

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Anything is possible but McVay's extension carries through 2026.

He will be 40 at the start of the 2027 NFL Season.

Does he strike you as being patient when it comes to football? ... ;)
No, I wonder if there are any attractive college teams who would sign him. Check out my post of Whitworth giving his opinion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd wager it's more likely Snead is appealing for him. A GM who's been around has tons of contacts a proven track record. That's stability a guy like he would want. Especially when empowered by the owner like our guy is.
Maybe so. I don't profess to know either way. Not saying Snead is done if they want to bring in a top guy. Just that he's gonna be on the sideline waiting for that coach to approve him as GM before he's the guy.

Now the lower level type hires of course the GM is not something they can affect. That's only limited to the guys who have enough gravitas. Even Harbaugh would need to sit down probably with Les and decide if they can work together because he suffered under that GM dipshit in SF during his tenure. Which, the more I think about it, makes his run all the more impressive.

If McVay does decide he needs a year to step away and get his personal life in order, I think it would be a smart idea to promote Thomas Brown to HC, if Raheem Morris is hired away. Hopefully, Jay Gruden can step in as OC. And McVay can act as an advisor for the year (if he's willing).
I think we could do a lot better than Thomas Brown. That's some 7-9 shit right there. If he's lucky. Probably worse.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we could do a lot better than Thomas Brown. That's some 7-9 shit right there. If he's lucky. Probably worse.
Or he does far better than that. How many people thought McVay was the next big thing? How many took Nick Sirianni seriously? How about Asshole Face when he was hired in New Orleans? I could keep going, but the trendy candidates often don't turn out to be the best candidates.

Either ways, what's the risk? It's one year. If he doesn't get the job done, McVay is back. If he gets the job done, McVay is still back, and we likely end up with two third round picks when somebody hires him away.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but man, that Florio take is really really bad. Florio accusing McVay of wanting out because he can't handle a long rebuild? That's some serious bullshit right there.

McVay is waffling because he's feeling burnt out and has concerns about his mental health. Some people can judge him for that, some don't. But accusing him of wanting out because of a long rebuild is utterly without substance and is just shit-stirring.

Rams have Hall of Famers at all 3 levels of the defense (AD, Wagner, Ramsey). Their offense still has tons of weapons, they just need their OL to stay healthy. Rams absolutely are capable of contending for the title in 2023. Insinuating that McVay is "afraid of a long rebuild" is just asinine.

Ellard80

Legend
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but man, that Florio take is really really bad. Florio accusing McVay of wanting out because he can't handle a long rebuild? That's some serious bullshit right there.

McVay is waffling because he's feeling burnt out and has concerns about his mental health. Some people can judge him for that, some don't. But accusing him of wanting out because of a long rebuild is utterly without substance and is just shit-stirring.

Rams have Hall of Famers at all 3 levels of the defense (AD, Wagner, Ramsey). Their offense still has tons of weapons, they just need their OL to stay healthy. Rams absolutely are capable of contending for the title in 2023. Insinuating that McVay is "afraid of a long rebuild" is just asinine.
florio said the same thing last year after the superbowl

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Getting sick of this. McVay needs to just say he is going to be our coach for the next 20 years like BB in New England.
He is a coach. If you want to be the best you have to try and bee the best for a long period of time.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If McVay does decide he needs a year to step away and get his personal life in order, I think it would be a smart idea to promote Thomas Brown to HC, if Raheem Morris is hired away. Hopefully, Jay Gruden can step in as OC. And McVay can act as an advisor for the year (if he's willing).

Or he does far better than that. How many people thought McVay was the next big thing? How many took Nick Sirianni seriously? How about Asshole Face when he was hired in New Orleans? I could keep going, but the trendy candidates often don't turn out to be the best candidates.

Either ways, what's the risk? It's one year. If he doesn't get the job done, McVay is back. If he gets the job done, McVay is still back, and we likely end up with two third round picks when somebody hires him away.
I do know this much. McVay seems to respect the hell out of T Brown. It's not a stretch to believe the players do too. And it was crystal clear, the difference in Akers after he was reinstalled as the RB coach. Sure just a position group but the guy has experience. As the OC at Miami U, they were respectable on offense...30.7 PPG, 161 yds rushing over 3 years. Who knows how this stuff is going to turn out but I hope this guy doesn't find work elsewhere.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
One quick add...

For those of you who think McVay is running away from a rebuild.. um... so, you think our Rams are gonna collapse next year?????

Stafford is coming back and there's no reason Donald wouldn't come back if Sean was. They have more cap flexibility than most think and health was the biggest challenge this year.

So.. people selling the "he's afraid of tough times" line are selling a bunch of bullshit.
Not collapse like this year at 5-12 but likely not contending for a championship. If they can rebuild the oline, fill holes in the D, and Stafford, Kupp, Ramsay and AD all come back and stay healthy they can be competitive. Another run of injuries would sink them again.

Their roster already is not nearly as good as San Francisco who they have only beaten once in the last several years. Bear in mind that the Rams from the outset of this year lost three key players from their championship team-- Whitworth, Von Miller, and OBJ-- none of whom have been replaced. You can throw in Weddle too; without him coming back from the rocking chair their secondary would not likely have held up in the playoffs.

The D now appears to be middle of the pack with holes at DE, in the secondary, and maybe even in the middle of the line. The oline needs to be rebuilt or Stafford will not be very effective or even stay healthy. Even if Stafford is ok the Rams have only one WR, Kupp, who is a difference maker and otherwise lack speed and playmakers on offense.

I do not see the Rams having enough cap to fill the holes, or getting plug and play starters from the draft, sufficient to make a championship run. Right now the coaching and direction of the team are also very much up in the air. And while the core of key players on both sides may come back next year they will not be together much longer.

Don't shoot the messenger, but to me this is the beginning of a rebuild.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Foolio is a Rams hater. No matter what we do he'll be finding the negative slant. Shit's been going on for years and since McVay came around he's been wrong at every turn. So he's pretty excited right now thinking things will go back to normal.

What he doesn't realize is Stan is not Georgia.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

I went with the spotify link on Reddit. There's a lot there, but I really don't think there's an hour's podcast worth of stuff.

My takeaways:

No Rams deadline on McVay's decision.

Expect many firings if McVay stays.

McVay has control issues. But the organization has literally allowed and encouraged every facet and element of the organization to revolve and function around McVay, who's hurtling towards the sun at a million miles an hour.
McVay can't stop himself (hurtling towards the sun) and the organization knows that if it stops McVay, it means less success for the organization.

McVay has a support system in place but concedes that he has to let them help. Other people could help but they're not approaching McVay because how the building is structured (i.e., every organizational facet functions around McVay functioning).

Jourdan doesn't think "rest" is the key. McVay needs to seek mental clarity that is functional, etc., etc., etc. [Me: she really seems to be straining to avoid the word therapy].

Jourdan: Need delegation and empowerment of other people and need other people to step up and step in.

No deadline on McVay is beneficial to him and the organization but recognizes it F's over others. But longer McVay is away, the more he'll want to come back.

Hammond sees what I see, the issue is not burnout. Rest won't fix it. The issue here requires examination of self and the organization.

Hammond compares the situation to USC sticking Pete on a pedestal and thinks the organization has to determine where they want to go from here.

Les thrives on chaos, Sean thrives on control - they balance each other so well.

The team has the players to stay relevant without McVay.

Hammond story about McVay's dad pursuing a non-football life after seeing what grandfather's life was in football [covered in last year's Wickersham article.]

Jourdan hears Frank Reich's name regardless of whether McVay stays or leaves.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't matter if he owes us or not. It's a bad look no matter what one thinks and it will be talked about that way whether we like it or not. It's already being put out there by Florio.
Florio is a fool, compared to McVay what has HE done?

McVay’s legacy is solid with many of us fans considering his youthful age and Superbowl success. I think we are all thankful for that. Screw the haters.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Florio is a fool, compared to McVay what has HE done?

McVay’s legacy is solid with many of us fans considering his youthful age and Superbowl success. I think we are all thankful for that. Screw the haters.
Trust me I understand and agree that Florio is a douche but regardless of what us fans think, if he leaves, they'll be people in the media besides Florio (just used him as an example of one) that will criticize how he left and push that narrative. I'm not a fan of him leaving after a shitty season but that also doesn't stop me from appreciating how great he's been for our organization. I'm not an all or nothing guy in this situation. People that are criticizing him leaving have a point, but he'll always be a SB coach that had a lot of success no matter what. I'll also never discount or take for granted all he accomplished. The way he may leave was always going to leave a bad taste in many people mouths since we'd all love to see him fight thru his first time having a losing season and shut everyone up. I truly hope he returns, but we'll all know sooner or later.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I went with the spotify link on Reddit. There's a lot there, but I really don't think there's an hour's podcast worth of stuff.

My takeaways:

No Rams deadline on McVay's decision.

Expect many firings if McVay stays.

McVay has control issues. But the organization has literally allowed and encouraged every facet and element of the organization to revolve and function around McVay, who's hurtling towards the sun at a million miles an hour.
McVay can't stop himself (hurtling towards the sun) and the organization knows that if it stops McVay, it means less success for the organization.

McVay has a support system in place but concedes that he has to let them help. Other people could help but they're not approaching McVay because how the building is structured (i.e., every organizational facet functions around McVay functioning).

Jourdan doesn't think "rest" is the key. McVay needs to seek mental clarity that is functional, etc., etc., etc. [Me: she really seems to be straining to avoid the word therapy].

Jourdan: Need delegation and empowerment of other people and need other people to step up and step in.

No deadline on McVay is beneficial to him and the organization but recognizes it F's over others. But longer McVay is away, the more he'll want to come back.

Hammond sees what I see, the issue is not burnout. Rest won't fix it. The issue here requires examination of self and the organization.

Hammond compares the situation to USC sticking Pete on a pedestal and thinks the organization has to determine where they want to go from here.

Les thrives on chaos, Sean thrives on control - they balance each other so well.

The team has the players to stay relevant without McVay.

Hammond story about McVay's dad pursuing a non-football life after seeing what grandfather's life was in football [covered in last year's Wickersham article.]

Jourdan hears Frank Reich's name regardless of whether McVay stays or leaves.
Sounds about right.

Weird how fast Mcvay came unglued & changed his mindset. Telling everybody all the right things seemed like he appreciated the extra time to get away & figure it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.