McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This is far beyond burnout. I think he suffers from psychological issues that are interfering with his ability to do his job, at least to the degree that we’ve all seen and come to love.

He is helpless to deal with this affliction without help, probably involving therapy.

He needs to make the decision to step aside quickly. He owes the Rams, the players, and the fans that much.

A one year sabbatical with an interim lame duck HC is a prescription for disaster. It would simply set Rams back another year in their reload to regain respectability and return to playoffs.

Only hire the best possible HC and give him a generous 5 year contract and allow him to staff with the best possible asst coaches and then Rams must proceed with a coherent FA, trade, and draft strategy. Nothing less will suffice.

I realize that this is not what many want to hear, but I truly believe the Sean McVay ship has sailed for the Rams and all parties will be better off to cut the cord and move on.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We did great trading firsts for who we got. Those were draft picks well spent. It may have changed how teams view those picks.

Can't reinvent this organizational wheel in the NFL. This method of choosing your coaching team is healthy and successful.

It has been a fun six years with McVay. Most of us wanted it to be a career HC for the Rams. If Sean doesn't want, or thinks he can't, do the job, then we should not want him as our HC.

This very topic has brought out many opinions that I must admit I could not disagree with most all of them. I am disappointed that if McVay does decide to retire then that will be a waste of a legacy that would become legendary in the NFL. Statues and trophy naming type of legend. And I honestly would be disappointed as a fan and for Sean himself.

We should know soon where this is going. And get behind it 100%.

GO RAMS!!!

nighttrain

Legend
it seems weird that so many coaches can last for many years without burning out

now in the case of vermiel if i remember correctly he put a cot in his office and slept there so i can see him burning out
DV was a long a long way from thirty six, McVay's current age..
train

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
This is far beyond burnout. I think he suffers from psychological issues that are interfering with his ability to do his job, at least to the degree that we’ve all seen and come to love.

He is helpless to deal with this affliction without help, probably involving therapy.

He needs to make the decision to step aside quickly. He owes the Rams, the players, and the fans that much.

A one year sabbatical with an interim lame duck HC is a prescription for disaster. It would simply set Rams back another year in their reload to regain respectability and return to playoffs.

Only hire the best possible HC and give him a generous 5 year contract and allow him to staff with the best possible asst coaches and then Rams must proceed with a coherent FA, trade, and draft strategy. Nothing less will suffice.

I realize that this is not what many want to hear, but I truly believe the Sean McVay ship has sailed for the Rams and all parties will be better off to cut the cord and move on.
Or… this issue is being overblown by a bunch of people who are guessing and diagnosing with few supporting facts. A week (or two) from today, McVay may have already put all those theories to rest and recommitted to the team.

We just don’t know.

I know I’m just flipping a coin at this point.

The only thing I’m sure of is that I only want him to stay if he is fully convinced that he’s up for the task. To paraphrase Mr. Miyagi, coach Rams yes, or coach Rams no. Coach Rams, guess so, get squashed like grape.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
1st... Those who are diagnosing McVay medically through their screens are the real wonders of the universe. Maybe astro projection is real... but I still need to verify their medical degrees. Wowza

I remember an article from years ago on the Sarcophagus known as Jerry Jones and his unique way of marketing his franchise. He believed that getting his franchise in the headlines for anything possible was how to maintain the ridiculous America's Team title. He created "stories" to make sure that his team didn't get outshined by others... especially when his cowgirls were no longer riding Jimmy Johnson's coattails with winning. The truth of the "stories" wasn't important and bad news type stories actually created more excitement than good news. Anyway... he plays the media like fiddle. Purposely created headlines to make sure his now losing team stayed in the spotlight as much as possible. He built a monster of a franchise getting free advertising like this and he still does it today. Remember... the truth of the story isn't important and bad news stories draw more attention than positive ones do. This is the strategy he sticks to... and you simply cannot deny it's effectiveness.

This drama "story" surrounding McVay makes me think that our Rams are employing some of the Sarcophagus' marketing strategies with a more modern and LA kind of Kardashian reality TV spin. It certainly is keeping our current Super Bowl Champion status franchise in the headlines everywhere even though we are not in the playoffs and have been basically irrelevant most of this season. Right up in the headlines with real meaningful playoff games that are about to go down. It's the "bad news" kind of drama too so it's even that much more effective.

I'm starting to strongly believe that this unreal speculation that is flying in from every direction may have been put out there on purpose... but is it really McVay waffling about his coaching future???... Well, it doesn't matter if the goal was to create as much buzz as possible for the defending Super Bowl Champion with the worst ever record for their followup season. Everything on the Kardashians is real right.

I'm just gonna stick to that belief until I hear something other than the unending speculation, click bait, and bullshit that is currently all we have to work with.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Pointless to try to mince this up. You've seen the posts here I'm not going to debate that because again it's pointless. Don't get mad at people here talking about those tweets.
Not mad.

I'm separating reporters from bullshitters.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Donald old, aging, will be 32 (at the beginning of next season)....Stafford old, aging, banged up, OL in shambles, will be 34 (at the beginning of next season)......Wagner old, (33)......Floyd (31)....Havs (31).....Higbee (30)....Kupp and Robinson (30). OTC says we are in the red almost $6 million, Spotrac has us at negative 9.5 million in cap space. Maybe not a collapse but losing your QB, and HOF DT in the very near future due to retirement or injury, aging stars that carried the team during his short successful tenure, and cap issues are creating the not so ideal situation for Boy Wonder.
The Rams can open up a ton of space, if they want..
He's not losing Donald or Stafford *next* year, and that's what we're talking about if he leaves this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not collapse like this year at 5-12 but likely not contending for a championship. If they can rebuild the oline, fill holes in the D, and Stafford, Kupp, Ramsay and AD all come back and stay healthy they can be competitive. Another run of injuries would sink them again.

Their roster already is not nearly as good as San Francisco who they have only beaten once in the last several years. Bear in mind that the Rams from the outset of this year lost three key players from their championship team-- Whitworth, Von Miller, and OBJ-- none of whom have been replaced. You can throw in Weddle too; without him coming back from the rocking chair their secondary would not likely have held up in the playoffs.

The D now appears to be middle of the pack with holes at DE, in the secondary, and maybe even in the middle of the line. The oline needs to be rebuilt or Stafford will not be very effective or even stay healthy. Even if Stafford is ok the Rams have only one WR, Kupp, who is a difference maker and otherwise lack speed and playmakers on offense.

I do not see the Rams having enough cap to fill the holes, or getting plug and play starters from the draft, sufficient to make a championship run. Right now the coaching and direction of the team are also very much up in the air. And while the core of key players on both sides may come back next year they will not be together much longer.

Don't shoot the messenger, but to me this is the beginning of a rebuild.
Nah.
Possibly top 10 RB... plenty of draft picks as well as *future* draft picks to use and the ability to get way under the cap.

Some of the holes are filled by players.. some players won't be asked to do as much with better players around them.

Have an *excellent* draft and offseason and much much better health? Completely different season.

There are 5 losses on this year's schedule that I'm pretty sure were wins.. with just good health. Bucs, Cards, Saints, Seahawks twice. I think with health you start looking at the Cowboys and Packers games as real possibilities.

It's not the start of a rebuild.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
If McVay ghosts the Rams after a losing season like this last one he will be remembered for this season as much as he will be for his superbowl win.
He should stay finish his contract and get back to the playoffs.
Never go out voluntarily on a low note.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I went with the spotify link on Reddit. There's a lot there, but I really don't think there's an hour's podcast worth of stuff.

My takeaways:

No Rams deadline on McVay's decision.

Expect many firings if McVay stays.

McVay has control issues. But the organization has literally allowed and encouraged every facet and element of the organization to revolve and function around McVay, who's hurtling towards the sun at a million miles an hour.
McVay can't stop himself (hurtling towards the sun) and the organization knows that if it stops McVay, it means less success for the organization.

McVay has a support system in place but concedes that he has to let them help. Other people could help but they're not approaching McVay because how the building is structured (i.e., every organizational facet functions around McVay functioning).

Jourdan doesn't think "rest" is the key. McVay needs to seek mental clarity that is functional, etc., etc., etc. [Me: she really seems to be straining to avoid the word therapy].

Jourdan: Need delegation and empowerment of other people and need other people to step up and step in.

No deadline on McVay is beneficial to him and the organization but recognizes it F's over others. But longer McVay is away, the more he'll want to come back.

Hammond sees what I see, the issue is not burnout. Rest won't fix it. The issue here requires examination of self and the organization.

Hammond compares the situation to USC sticking Pete on a pedestal and thinks the organization has to determine where they want to go from here.

Les thrives on chaos, Sean thrives on control - they balance each other so well.

The team has the players to stay relevant without McVay.

Hammond story about McVay's dad pursuing a non-football life after seeing what grandfather's life was in football [covered in last year's Wickersham article.]

Jourdan hears Frank Reich's name regardless of whether McVay stays or leaves.

Good stuff.. listened to the pod as well.

I think that ego will absolutely play a part in McVay's decision.

I *don't* think he's walking away because the thought of rebuilding is so distasteful.. I think he's considering walking away because he's not happy and that because he thought winning a Super Bowl would make him happy.

The reason I think ego will play a part? I think if he can find a way to structure his year in a tolerable way.. he'll do it.. because he knows that the narrative will be "when the going got tough, Sean got going.." and I don't believe that's something he can live with.

He'll want to leave at the end of a winning season, imo.

We'll see.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I can't think of a single coach in any sport that walked away for a year and then came back to the same team a year later.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't think of a single coach in any sport that walked away for a year and then came back to the same team a year later.
Only thing close I can think of is MJ leaving the bulls for 2 seasons.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I went with the spotify link on Reddit. There's a lot there, but I really don't think there's an hour's podcast worth of stuff.

My takeaways:

No Rams deadline on McVay's decision.

Expect many firings if McVay stays.

McVay has control issues. But the organization has literally allowed and encouraged every facet and element of the organization to revolve and function around McVay, who's hurtling towards the sun at a million miles an hour.
McVay can't stop himself (hurtling towards the sun) and the organization knows that if it stops McVay, it means less success for the organization.

McVay has a support system in place but concedes that he has to let them help. Other people could help but they're not approaching McVay because how the building is structured (i.e., every organizational facet functions around McVay functioning).

Jourdan doesn't think "rest" is the key. McVay needs to seek mental clarity that is functional, etc., etc., etc. [Me: she really seems to be straining to avoid the word therapy].

Jourdan: Need delegation and empowerment of other people and need other people to step up and step in.

No deadline on McVay is beneficial to him and the organization but recognizes it F's over others. But longer McVay is away, the more he'll want to come back.

Hammond sees what I see, the issue is not burnout. Rest won't fix it. The issue here requires examination of self and the organization.

Hammond compares the situation to USC sticking Pete on a pedestal and thinks the organization has to determine where they want to go from here.

Les thrives on chaos, Sean thrives on control - they balance each other so well.

The team has the players to stay relevant without McVay.

Hammond story about McVay's dad pursuing a non-football life after seeing what grandfather's life was in football [covered in last year's Wickersham article.]

Jourdan hears Frank Reich's name regardless of whether McVay stays or leaves.
Appreciate the breakdown.

I think a lot of us see the same thing in McVay.
A guy that has a tough time giving up control and delegating.

He is a brilliant coach, but he needs to let others pick up some of the slack.
Which is something he may be unable to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.