McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake

Hopefully this puts to rest the ridiculous speculation that he’d actually leave the Rams after a season like the one we just had.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goddamn is this great news or what. Let's party bitches!

giphy.gif

Q729

Legend
"Just kidding guys... Well what did you expect me to say?"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was reading on another site one idiot Packer fan saying McVay was going to get fired because of the down year and the kicker was the game vs the Chargers was flexed out of SNF last week. You can't make shit like that guys spewing up.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
People need to stop listening to the garbage that reaches our ears. Main stream sports/media is nothing but garbage.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I was reading on another site one idiot Packer fan saying McVay was going to get fired because of the down year and the kicker was the game vs the Chargers was flexed out of SNF last week. You can't make shit like that guys spewing up.
Was he like 12 yrs old?

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Hopefully this puts to rest the ridiculous speculation that he’d actually leave the Rams after a season like the one we just had.

I couldn't personally see a scenario where a hard driven McVay would leave the players to go to the booth after his worst season. I just hope that McVay wants more than 2 rings.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He is an elite HC who is with an elite franchise able to recruit elite coaching and FA talent.

He is paired with a GM that he works well with.

He is in a perfect spot and it would be foolish to leave anytime soon. He has plenty more to achieve on the field.

The broadcast booth will always be there.

Glad he snuffed this crap out quickly so the focus this offseason can be team building.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know McVay would not want to go out like this. He'll be back. He doesn't want his final season to be the one with the most losses by a defending champ. But how much longer will he coach? When he says things like finish this thing right I have to think we're gonna lose him in the next few years. Maybe even after next year if they have a good season. If that is the case hopefully he'll be grooming their next coach.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
No ... No ... NO!!! It's All Over!

McVay is retiring, and will become the host of the Bachelor, Bachelorette and Love Island.

Stafford's elbow, back and brain are broken. He will retire, be a stay-at-home-dad; Kelly will take a 9-5-job.

Aaron Donald has accomplished all he can in football; and will retire to his new career as Marvel Super Hero.

Les and his wife, Kara Henderson will start a T-shirt company, and build an empire.

Kroenke's fortune will disappear over-night when his business is exposed as a huge Ponzi Scheme.

Ramsey will start a Rap Group. Kupp will start his own Church. Higbee will open a hair salon.

Finally, Rob Havenstein will remain the Rams' RT for another ten years; and Old-Not-Dead's head will explode.

You guys need to Grow Up!

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311

A Sean McVay Retirement Announcement Could Follow the Rams’ Week 18 Game​

Story by Tim Crean • Yesterday 12:21 PM
492 Comments

Sean McVay burst onto the NFL coaching scene as the youngest NFL head coach in history when the Los Angeles Rams hired him at the age of 30 in 2017. Since then, he’s rewarded the organization’s leap of faith. McVay has a 60-37 career record, making four playoff appearances in six seasons, and winning a Super Bowl. However, this season has been incredibly hard for the now-36-year-old, both on and off the field. And, per his friend and former podcast co-host, NFL insider Peter Schrager, when the clock strikes 0:00 in the Rams’ Week 18 game vs. the Seattle Seahawks, a Sean McVay retirement announcement could soon follow.

Peter Schrager says a Sean McVay retirement announcement could come after Rams’ Week 18 matchup

No one in the NFL media knows Rams head coach Sean McVay better than FOX Sports’ and the NFL Network’s Good Morning Football co-host Peter Schrager. The pair hosted the Flying Coach podcast on The Ringer podcast network two offseasons ago, and the NFL insider was even a guest at the coach’s recent wedding.

Ahead of the Rams’ Week 18 matchup with the Seahawks, Schrager joined The Ringer’s The Bill Simmons Podcast and discussed the possibility of a Sean McVay retirement after this season.
“Could this be McVay’s last game?” Bill Simmons asked Schrager.
“I would have told you a month ago, no way. There is no way this guy’s going out with this season, and I don’t think it’s his last game coaching,” Schrager shared. “I just think he is so burnt out. And I’m not speaking on behalf of him, but I’ll say as someone who speaks to him often, this season has been really tough on him. And I’m talking mentally, emotionally, all of it.”
Schrager continued by saying that the on-field stress has been “paired with real-life stuff.” That “stuff” includes the fact that he didn’t get a break last offseason after winning the Super Bowl, getting married, going on his honeymoon, and coming right back to coaching. Also, McVay’s wife, model Veronika Khomyn, is Ukrainian and has a lot of family still in the war-torn country.
The insider concluded by saying that McVay is “just spent” and that while he doesn’t “have any insight into whether this is his last game, I will tell you this. He needs a long vacation after this thing, and he’s going to think this thing through.”
Schrager says that McVay will take a long break this offseason and “make some decisions about his life, not just his coaching career.” That could include McVay not coaching next season, Schrager admitted.

Related video: Is Michigan Ready for a Post-Jim Harbaugh Era? (Stadium)

Could the Rams coach take a year-long sabbatical?

Sean McVay | Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Sean McVay | Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images© Provided by Sportscasting
Related
Matthew Stafford Went to Sean McVay’s Rams Because the 49ers’ Kyle Shanahan Stayed at the Wrong Hotel in Cabo
The lengthy explanation of McVay’s situation by a friend of his is fascinating on many levels. First, it confirms that the coach is completely spent after a whirlwind two-year stretch and that a Sean McVay retirement is on the table.
And while it’s interesting to note that Peter Schrager does think McVay will coach again after the Rams’ Week 18 game this season, that doesn’t mean it will be in LA.
That said, McVay is a coaching prodigy. At 36, he’s already done more than most coaches at an age before most coaches even get a head job.
This could lead to an interesting situation where the Rams turn a possible Sean McVay retirement into a Sean McVay one-season sabbatical.
McVay could easily have three more decades of coaching in him after the Rams’ Week 18 game this season. And if he does retire, at least half the teams in the NFL would probably jump at the chance to hire him at 38 or even in his 40s or 50s. For the Rams to keep him, could they give him a year off?
The Rams leveraged their franchise to win a Super Bowl this year and now need a hard reset to get a contending-level roster again. That means next season, LA will likely be bad again. Could Rams owner Stan Kroenke let McVay take a year off, give the reigns to a former NFL head coach on the team’s staff — like defensive coordinator Raheem Morris or consultant Jay Gruden — and let the now-coach come back when he’s ready?
We’ve never seen anything like that in the NFL, but for a once-in-a-lifetime coaching savant like Sean McVay, it may be worth considering.

Attachments

• 1673107333222.png
    1673107333222.png
    68 bytes · Views: 23

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Man I've been trying to have a stiff upper lip this season but if Mcvay leaves I don't know, I'm not in for another 15 years of sucking

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

... per ... Peter Schrager, when the clock strikes 0:00 in the Rams’ Week 18 game vs. the Seattle Seahawks, a Sean McVay retirement announcement could soon follow.

...​

The insider concluded by saying that McVay is “just spent” and that while he doesn’t “have any insight into whether this is his last game, I will tell you this. He needs a long vacation after this thing, and he’s going to think this thing through.”
Schrager says that McVay will take a long break this offseason and “make some decisions about his life, not just his coaching career.”

No inconsistency there.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Story by Tim Crean • Yesterday 12:21 PM
492 Comments

Sean McVay burst onto the NFL coaching scene as the youngest NFL head coach in history when the Los Angeles Rams hired him at the age of 30 in 2017. Since then, he’s rewarded the organization’s leap of faith. McVay has a 60-37 career record, making four playoff appearances in six seasons, and winning a Super Bowl. However, this season has been incredibly hard for the now-36-year-old, both on and off the field. And, per his friend and former podcast co-host, NFL insider Peter Schrager, when the clock strikes 0:00 in the Rams’ Week 18 game vs. the Seattle Seahawks, a Sean McVay retirement announcement could soon follow.

Peter Schrager says a Sean McVay retirement announcement could come after Rams’ Week 18 matchup

No one in the NFL media knows Rams head coach Sean McVay better than FOX Sports’ and the NFL Network’s Good Morning Football co-host Peter Schrager. The pair hosted the Flying Coach podcast on The Ringer podcast network two offseasons ago, and the NFL insider was even a guest at the coach’s recent wedding.

Ahead of the Rams’ Week 18 matchup with the Seahawks, Schrager joined The Ringer’s The Bill Simmons Podcast and discussed the possibility of a Sean McVay retirement after this season.
“Could this be McVay’s last game?” Bill Simmons asked Schrager.
“I would have told you a month ago, no way. There is no way this guy’s going out with this season, and I don’t think it’s his last game coaching,” Schrager shared. “I just think he is so burnt out. And I’m not speaking on behalf of him, but I’ll say as someone who speaks to him often, this season has been really tough on him. And I’m talking mentally, emotionally, all of it.”
Schrager continued by saying that the on-field stress has been “paired with real-life stuff.” That “stuff” includes the fact that he didn’t get a break last offseason after winning the Super Bowl, getting married, going on his honeymoon, and coming right back to coaching. Also, McVay’s wife, model Veronika Khomyn, is Ukrainian and has a lot of family still in the war-torn country.
Schrager says that McVay will take a long break this offseason and “make some decisions about his life, not just his coaching career.” That could include McVay not coaching next season, Schrager admitted.

Related video: Is Michigan Ready for a Post-Jim Harbaugh Era? (Stadium)

Could the Rams coach take a year-long sabbatical?

Sean McVay | Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Sean McVay | Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images© Provided by Sportscasting
Related
Matthew Stafford Went to Sean McVay’s Rams Because the 49ers’ Kyle Shanahan Stayed at the Wrong Hotel in Cabo
The lengthy explanation of McVay’s situation by a friend of his is fascinating on many levels. First, it confirms that the coach is completely spent after a whirlwind two-year stretch and that a Sean McVay retirement is on the table.
And while it’s interesting to note that Peter Schrager does think McVay will coach again after the Rams’ Week 18 game this season, that doesn’t mean it will be in LA.
That said, McVay is a coaching prodigy. At 36, he’s already done more than most coaches at an age before most coaches even get a head job.
This could lead to an interesting situation where the Rams turn a possible Sean McVay retirement into a Sean McVay one-season sabbatical.
McVay could easily have three more decades of coaching in him after the Rams’ Week 18 game this season. And if he does retire, at least half the teams in the NFL would probably jump at the chance to hire him at 38 or even in his 40s or 50s. For the Rams to keep him, could they give him a year off?
The Rams leveraged their franchise to win a Super Bowl this year and now need a hard reset to get a contending-level roster again. That means next season, LA will likely be bad again. Could Rams owner Stan Kroenke let McVay take a year off, give the reigns to a former NFL head coach on the team’s staff — like defensive coordinator Raheem Morris or consultant Jay Gruden — and let the now-coach come back when he’s ready?
We’ve never seen anything like that in the NFL, but for a once-in-a-lifetime coaching savant like Sean McVay, it may be worth considering.

Schrager is pretty connected to McVay. Therefore I find his comments on burnout concerning. I also find them almost unbelievable. Guys like Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh, Andy Reid, and Belichick keep on churning year over year.

I also don’t like the sabbatical idea at all. That’s like the franchise pressing the pause button and what message does that send to the team and fans? I am not in favor of this idea, at all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Schrager is pretty connected to McVay. Therefore I find his comments on burnout concerning. I also find them almost unbelievable. Guys like Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh, Andy Reid, and Belichick keep on churning year over year.

I also don’t like the sabbatical idea at all. That’s like the franchise pressing the pause button and what message does that send to the team and fans? I am not in favor of this idea, at all.
Article from December 11th, but maybe that is why it had some legs.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
SB Nation
SB Nation

Follow

Sean McVay’s short-term answers to retirement questions are unsatisfying​

Story by Kenneth Arthur • Yesterday 6:11 PM
Comments

1673112428270.png

Sean McVay’s short-term answers to retirement questions are unsatisfying
Sean McVay’s short-term answers to retirement questions are unsatisfying
Sean McVay is committed to the Los Angeles Rams...for now.
For yet another year, the 36-year-old McVay was asked to respond to the rumors flying around that he could leave the Rams for a job in the booth. McVay could have answered with saying that those thoughts are ridiculous, that the only thing he is focused on is winning another Super Bowl with the Rams, if not ten more Super Bowls, and that the only job that has his heart is coaching.
Instead, McVay said that he “wasn’t going to run away” from rumors about television jobs and that it’s “something that I’ve always been interested in” but that for “right now” he’s focused on the Rams.
Right now is right now. And “down the line” could literally be Monday.

It’s admirable that McVay is honest about what he wants to do with his career, but if this is his honesty, then the Los Angeles Rams franchise should be well aware—either behind the scenes or upfront—that they are going to be hunting for a new hew head coach in the future. Possibly in the near future. Possibly at any moment.
When Bill Belichick became a head coach for the first time with the Cleveland Browns in 1991, he was 39. He was a “young” head coach then. If Belichick was addressing rumors of going into television this early in his career, he might have never even gotten to the New England Patriots. Belichick, now 70, isn’t addressing rumors of going into the booth next season.

Related video: Rams HC Sean McVay Addresses The Baker Mayfield Signing (Dailymotion)

So perhaps the strangest part of McVay’s comments on Friday was, “These are always things that you kind of anticipate and expect are going to come up.”

Well, these are always things you anticipate when you don’t flat out deny the rumors and say—not suggest—that you are committed to the Los Angeles Rams just as every other head coach is committed to their franchise. Not “right now” but just as most people are expected to be committed to the jobs that they have—jobs that just gave you a contract extension through 2026.
Why isn’t Sean McVay’s answer to these rumors: “I have a job to do until 2026.”
Why isn’t that the answer?
The retirement and TV rumors are now expected to continue through all of 2023 and into 2024 because...Sean McVay just told reporters that they should continue to ask him the same questions because that’s what he does want to do in the future. Not in the 2027 future but “down the line” which could mean, next week. Or next year.
Reminder that the Rams not only extended McVay and Les Snead, but Matthew Stafford, through 2026. Cooper Kupp is signed through 2026. Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey are signed through 2025. Not all of these players will play through their contracts, but they were signed under the belief that the Rams are “Sean McVay’s vision” for the most part, especially with Stafford.
Why wouldn’t Sean McVay make it clear that he intends to at least see it through Stafford’s contract and to say, “If the Rams are gracious enough to let me keep that job that long”?
That’s the kind of answer that I kind of anticipate and expect an NFL head coach to give when asked if he’s going to leave the team, at any moment, for a different job. Not...”I’m flattered.”
Many of you have expressed frustration with Sean McVay and Aaron Donald for not always making it impossibly clear that they will be with the Rams as long as they’re so lucky and for us writing stories about their early retirements. Don’t be mad at us.
I’m just the messenger. McVay refuses to send the right message.

Status
Not open for further replies.