McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Even though this is Florio it may be correct at least in part.

Imo the Rams ARE facing a serious rebuild. No idea how McVay reacts to that, but it means that whoever will be the coach has a lot to come to grips with and the sooner the better.
We understand the Rams are facing challenges.

It's the lame brain media that thinks Sean McVay's outlook for the Rams future is as dour as theirs. "The Rams sold their soul, this ship is sinking". They're taking their own thoughts and opinions about the Rams and acting like McVay thinks like they do.

I'm positive Florio has no sources inside the Rams organization or from McVay's inner circle. What he does is interpret and frame McVay's words and actions to fit into a narrative. This is all he can do. Just recently he suggested McVay could be trying to force his way off the Rams to go to another team.

Let the media chirp like the weasels they are. McVay not wanting to be involved with a rebuild is a narrative, man. It didn't come from him.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I think I understand the fatigue that McVay may be struggling with. To work night and day only for it not to be enough. To put professional priority way above personal welfare. Perhaps to push away taking care of yourself mentally and physically. I’m 60 and struggling with all of that. The difference is McVay has options that may be less stressful/more lucrative and he has the financial fortitude to be able to walk away and not worry. He’s smart and will decide what’s best for him but I’m prepared for him at least taking 2023 off. Unfortunately for him he will have to suffer through a lot of questioning because he’s so young and the timing is such that is appears that it’s a reaction to his first losing season. Add as I’m typing this - McVay comes on the TV in one of his many Campbell Soup commercials. He’ll be ok as long as he has thick skin.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trust me I understand and agree that Florio is a douche but regardless of what us fans think, if he leaves, they'll be people in the media besides Florio (just used him as an example of one) that will criticize how he left and push that narrative. I'm not a fan of him leaving after a shitty season but that also doesn't stop me from appreciating how great he's been for our organization. I'm not an all or nothing guy in this situation. People that are criticizing him leaving have a point, but he'll always be a SB coach that had a lot of success no matter what. I'll also never discount or take for granted all he accomplished. The way he may leave was always going to leave a bad taste in many people mouths since we'd all love to see him fight thru his first time having a losing season and shut everyone up. I truly hope he returns, but we'll all know sooner or later.
Ok, sure. I’m not saying you don’t have a point. You do.

Opinions will happen, but mental health is quite real. Lots of people may not understand what a real workaholic deals with, how it can cause a real lack of creativity. It ruins relationships. McVay may be quite burnt, UNABLE to take the team any further for quite a while, perhaps years.

I think it’s UNSELFISH and more with his credo “we not me” to step away and heal. I do think the reason he snaps at people is his burnout. It’s definitely a sign which potentially ruins his relationships with players and ass’t coaches.

I actually have more respect for McVay to leave than to stay and languish in mediocrity at less than his best, the situation worsening every year.

I really couldn’t care less for those that don’t fully understand the issue we are talking about. I think he most likely needs to quit immediately and heal. That’s all he owes us, to go get better.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't think it's about money, a rebuild or losing. But can we be sure what the actual issue is? Is it burnout? Stress? A combination? Something completely different? Everybody with a keyboard or microphone has an idea but there are so many and all so different. Hopefully we'll know his decision soon.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay does decide he needs a year to step away and get his personal life in order, I think it would be a smart idea to promote Thomas Brown to HC, if Raheem Morris is hired away. Hopefully, Jay Gruden can step in as OC. And McVay can act as an advisor for the year (if he's willing).
I like the potential of this idea…look to kick Sean upstairs for a year or two and let him tinker from a macro viewpoint..limit how often he’s in the building and let him consult. If the Rams can win with a new HC and him upstairs…even better, that way there is no urgency for him to return to the field right away.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@TSFH Fan thank you for that break down. I've always really liked McVay because he reminded me of a friend of mine (insane recall, top tier leader, great strategic and tactical thinker, really lives by the sayings/ things he teaches). Your notes here fit a similar struggle he went through years ago to a tee. My friend saw this type of thing coming and worried his butt off to restructure his company so it wasn't dependent on him, but it looks like McVay missed it until he started having a crisis. Hopefully the organization can navigate this well and come out better off in a year or two.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Ok, sure. I’m not saying you don’t have a point. You do.

Opinions will happen, but mental health is quite real. Lots of people may not understand what a real workaholic deals with, how it can cause a real lack of creativity. It ruins relationships. McVay may be quite burnt, UNABLE to take the team any further for quite a while, perhaps years.

I think it’s UNSELFISH and more with his credo “we not me” to step away and heal. I do think the reason he snaps at people is his burnout. It’s definitely a sign which potentially ruins his relationships with players and ass’t coaches.

I actually have more respect for McVay to leave than to stay and languish in mediocrity at less than his best, the situation worsening every year.

I really couldn’t care less for those that don’t fully understand the issue we are talking about. I think he most likely needs to quit immediately and heal. That’s all he owes us, to go get better.
If that's the case, McVay should probably get some help "therapy" wise and try to see if that helps. Hopefully he also learns to delegate more in the future so he's not stressing out so much. He seems to put so much on himself and that needs to stop for his own well being. I'll add that he got into the wrong profession to avoid stress lol but he's obviously great at it. I'll also sound like a broken record and I'm not trying to minimize anything at all, but signing an extension after wanting to "run it back* then followed by one of the weirdest, unluckiest seasons (his 1st losing season), then throwing in the towel is a bad look no matter what. I hope he can step back and not pile so much on himself since it's not on him how crappy the season was. We broke injury records that had all of us just flabbergasted. I personally hate that him walking away will be talked about the most since it takes away from talking about how great he is at what he does. There's always that "but" he gave up after it got rough that'll be brought up and will give me another reason to want to punch Whiner fans talking shit although I must admit, I already want to do that hahahaha.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I like the potential of this idea…look to kick Sean upstairs for a year or two and let him tinker from a macro viewpoint..limit how often he’s in the building and let him consult. If the Rams can win with a new HC and him upstairs…even better, that way there is no urgency for him to return to the field right away.
If he leaves, there's also the possibility he may not come back at all either. This whole situation just sucks though.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I don't think it's about money, a rebuild or losing. But can we be sure what the actual issue is? Is it burnout? Stress? A combination? Something completely different? Everybody with a keyboard or microphone has an idea but there are so many and all so different. Hopefully we'll know his decision soon.
Agree there and until McVay personally addresses it, we are all definitely speculating.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
Sean needs to take a weekend trip up to Vermiel Winery and have a long conversation with the original burn-out...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If he leaves, there's also the possibility he may not come back at all either. This whole situation just sucks though.
Its definitely a possibility. I think at some point he returns to coaching. If he wanted to return to the Rams it would have to be a situation where the current coach is being fired because he's not getting it done.

When they're searching for a new coach they have to hire the best candidate. Not an interim one year guy waiting for him to come back. It wouldn't be fair to the fans and the rest of the organization if they didn't try and find the best fit. They still have Stafford, Kupp, Akers, Donald, Wagner and Ramsey. It wouldn't be fair to them to throw away a season where they might have one last shot.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I will say if it leads to Morris being our head coach, I'm going to be pissed. His track record as one isn't great at all.
That's literally the most nauseating thought. And would absolutely kill my excitement for next year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Its definitely a possibility. I think at some point he returns to coaching. If he wanted to return to the Rams it would have to be a situation where the current coach is being fired because he's not getting it done.

When they're searching for a new coach they have to hire the best candidate. Not an interim one year guy waiting for him to come back. It wouldn't be fair to the fans and the rest of the organization if they didn't try and find the best fit. They still have Stafford, Kupp, Akers, Donald, Wagner and Ramsey. It wouldn't be fair to them to throw away a season where they might have one last shot.
Definitely agree that we need to shoot for the best since it's the LA Rams and not the LA McVays. However if we get a great coach it's extremely possible that coach does well and if he does, it would make no sense to bring McVay back.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is far beyond burnout. I think he suffers from psychological issues that are interfering with his ability to do his job, at least to the degree that we’ve all seen and come to love.

He is helpless to deal with this affliction without help, probably involving therapy.

He needs to make the decision to step aside quickly. He owes the Rams, the players, and the fans that much.

A one year sabbatical with an interim lame duck HC is a prescription for disaster. It would simply set Rams back another year in their reload to regain respectability and return to playoffs.

Only hire the best possible HC and give him a generous 5 year contract and allow him to staff with the best possible asst coaches and then Rams must proceed with a coherent FA, trade, and draft strategy. Nothing less will suffice.

I realize that this is not what many want to hear, but I truly believe the Sean McVay ship has sailed for the Rams and all parties will be better off to cut the cord and move on.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
This is far beyond burnout. I think he suffers from psychological issues that are interfering with his ability to do his job, at least to the degree that we’ve all seen and come to love.

He is helpless to deal with this affliction without help, probably involving therapy.

He needs to make the decision to step aside quickly. He owes the Rams, the players, and the fans that much.

A one year sabbatical with an interim lame duck HC is a prescription for disaster. It would simply set Rams back another year in their reload to regain respectability and return to playoffs.

Only hire the best possible HC and give him a generous 5 year contract and allow him to staff with the best possible asst coaches and then Rams must proceed with a coherent FA, trade, and draft strategy. Nothing less will suffice.

I realize that this is not what many want to hear, but I truly believe the Sean McVay ship has sailed for the Rams and all parties will be better off to cut the cord and move on.
I can see McVay stepping aside and returning in 5-6 years to coach, while having an analyst or some type of role in the Front Office.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Sean needs to take a weekend trip up to Vermiel Winery and have a long conversation with the original burn-out...

it seems weird that so many coaches can last for many years without burning out

now in the case of vermiel if i remember correctly he put a cot in his office and slept there so i can see him burning out

Status
Not open for further replies.