McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Payton and Snead can work together, Snead is very similar to Micky Loomis imo in how they work.
Maybe. But it won't be Snead's role to find that level of head coach. For us to chase a guy like him is gonna come down to the owner because GM is at his whim.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not fair dude. He never said he's gonna take months, in fact he said the opposite. I'd expect a decision by the end of the week or early next.
Fair point. But for now it does put the org on hold which I don't like. If he wants to go fine. I love the dude but all the best and thank you. Just don't stand in the way of Stan finding a top replacement.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There’s nothing wrong with the roster. Except maybe ARob’s contract vs production and an injury prone OL. Basically.

This team has faced tougher uphill roster tweaking before. There’s no rebuild here unless AD, Stafford, Wagner, Ramsey and Kupp are gone.
These are myopic view points, I’m sorry.

Also, I would imagine that Sean feels like the past 2 seasons felt like one long season. That’s gotta be tough. Good news is that there’s a full off-season ahead. Hopefully that’s being considered. Idk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it people reporting it... or is it people reporting on speculation?
Pointless to try to mince this up. You've seen the posts here I'm not going to debate that because again it's pointless. Don't get mad at people here talking about those tweets.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe. But it won't be Snead's role to find that level of head coach. For us to chase a guy like him is gonna come down to the owner because GM is at his whim.
I disagree with our owner. We know he completely empowers them to do this kind of search, Snead and KD, and he signs off on their decisions.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If McVay does quit I wouldn't mind going after Detroit's OC Ben Johnson. Demeco Ryans would be my second choice. He would know how to defend the 49er offense better than Rahim. I know they would get another 3rd round comp pick but chances are, someone's gonna hire him. He's considered a hot commodity right now.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdVYYTQqb8w

May be right, may be wrong but thought it an interesting take. Especially about the telling his assistants look for work (lived that scenario in the late 90s).

"Just saw 'em knockin' down Miller Lite and smokin' Cancer Rockets!"...priceless.

I could see that with the assistants, using that as a way to get rid of some without firing them. But I have a harder time believing he's holding out for more power in the building, as it seems he already has quite a bit. The moves to get Stafford, Von, OBJ, etc., were all things he had to sign off on. What more power is there for him to gain?

I'd also add that it wouldn't help him given that he already does too much anyway and needs to delegate more rather than assuming additional responsibilities.

Ellard80

Legend
I could see that with the assistants, using that as a way to get rid of some without firing them. But I have a harder time believing he's holding out for more power in the building, as it seems he already has quite a bit. The moves to get Stafford, Von, OBJ, etc., were all things he had to sign off on. What more power is there for him to gain?

I'd also add that it wouldn't help him given that he already does too much anyway and needs to delegate more rather than assuming additional responsibilities.
yeah i don't see this as a power grab...

if anything, it's a call for less power....

though they are sure to offer him more to try to get him to stay

which is a strange dynamic

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
From the Seahawks message board. Is this guy speaking truth or full of shit?

I choose Pete all day. I think McVay is a front runner who destroyed a franchise for a ring and wants to leave town now. Pete literally wins everywhere he goes. McVay was a "Genius" who made Qb Goff look respectable was the public's opinion. However, Goff best year has been in Detroit.

McVay had a loaded Squad and sold out to win a ring. He did that so kudos for that but leaving a broken franchise is a bad look imo. Can you imagine if Pete pulled this?

I know people will say look at the H2H record. Rams also have had the better roster until this yr for awhile and then what happened H2H? Pete swept Mcvay.

Pete may be boring, old school,etc but he wins and wins often. He will be in the HOF.

Mcvay is a very good coach who is over rated imo so far in his career. If he stays and rebuilds? Then i am wrong on him front running.

I still think if careers ended today that Pete would be in HOF and McVay would not.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree with our owner. We know he completely empowers them to do this kind of search, Snead and KD, and he signs off on their decisions.
No worries. But the top coaches who rate bringing in their own guys are not going to interface with the GM who might be replaced by them. Conflict of interest.

So if McVay has given Stan the idea that he's done, then I'd imagine Stan has contacted Payton and they'll sit down at some point. Won't be Les bringing him in to interview him.

Ellard80

Legend

well lol...there were a lot of different replies in that thread. Interesting one you chose.

Carroll did not have the initial success in the NFL that Mcvay had... but maybe no other person ever has.

Carroll's full body of work is pretty solid though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Whoever posted that has their head so far up their ass they have no idea which way is up. Destroyed the franchise? Fucking serious?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No worries. But the top coaches who rate bringing in their own guys are not going to interface with the GM who might be replaced by them. Conflict of interest.

So if McVay has given Stan the idea that he's done, then I'd imagine Stan has contacted Payton and they'll sit down at some point. Won't be Les bringing him in to interview him.
I'd wager it's more likely Snead is appealing for him. A GM who's been around has tons of contacts a proven track record. That's stability a guy like he would want. Especially when empowered by the owner like our guy is.

One quick add...

For those of you who think McVay is running away from a rebuild.. um... so, you think our Rams are gonna collapse next year?????

Stafford is coming back and there's no reason Donald wouldn't come back if Sean was. They have more cap flexibility than most think and health was the biggest challenge this year.

So.. people selling the "he's afraid of tough times" line are selling a bunch of bullshit.
Donald old, aging, will be 32 (at the beginning of next season)....Stafford old, aging, banged up, OL in shambles, will be 34 (at the beginning of next season)......Wagner old, (33)......Floyd (31)....Havs (31).....Higbee (30)....Kupp and Robinson (30). OTC says we are in the red almost $6 million, Spotrac has us at negative 9.5 million in cap space. Maybe not a collapse but losing your QB, and HOF DT in the very near future due to retirement or injury, aging stars that carried the team during his short successful tenure, and cap issues are creating the not so ideal situation for Boy Wonder.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Really getting sick of hearing this. Maybe that’s part of the reason for this years disaster. Was he 100% committed this year , since we heard the same rumors last year.
Either squash the rumors or move on. The Rams organization has treated him very good and deserves his full commitment.
I really like McVay and what he’s done , but this is ridiculous. It will be the same thing every year , so maybe it’s time to start looking for his replacement. Dammit
Isn’t there a thread here siting an article where McVay already said he’s coming back?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he quits, what will he see when he looks in a mirror every time the Rams lose another game? What will he think of himself when he sees a video of the talking heads calling him a quitter at the time the team needed him the most?
At ;east Bubba loves me....~ McVay

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Les says, "Where will we find an interim coach?"
The door creaks open and in walks @den-the-coach ......

CmUWVLq.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Turducken

Starter
Multi-year rebuild? Please.

The Rams still have a lot of talent, and there are many ways to acquire more. Teams with franchise players at QB, WR, pass rusher and CB are never more than one good offseason (and better luck with injuries) from being a playoff team.

Florio molests collies.
Florio is just guessing, but it's a rational guess. The Rams have half their salary cap concentrated in a handful of aging superstars. When one or two go down you take notice. When three or more go down the deficiencies are glaring.

I love AD, but I have to admit that his cap hit over the next two seasons probably exceeds his value (he's unlikely to have another season like 2021, much less 2018).

Status
Not open for further replies.