McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Context, context.
If you cant comprehend english, have an adult explain it to you, leaving out "As for comparing him to folks that work in the real world? Gimme a break" and "Its ludicrous to try and compare"
So no I said nothing of what you speak

"My argument is baseless and a fallacy at best therefore here's a passive aggressive post about your level of intelligence."

So hilarious.

This board is akin to a lesbian book club when things got tough this season.

Turducken

Starter
If he quits, what will he see when he looks in a mirror every time the Rams lose another game? What will he think of himself when he sees a video of the talking heads calling him a quitter at the time the team needed him the most?
He will likely become one of the talking heads, only with impeccable credentials and the ability to make about 10x as much as any of media guys trying to throw shade at him.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Florio is just guessing, but it's a rational guess. The Rams have half their salary cap concentrated in a handful of aging superstars. When one or two go down you take notice. When three or more go down the deficiencies are glaring.

I love AD, but I have to admit that his cap hit over the next two seasons probably exceeds his value (he's unlikely to have another season like 2021, much less 2018).
Id never count AD out, never.

Dude is on another planet. I expect him to be DPOY next year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
A legitimate question I have and in no way do I think this is the reason AT all, but for arguments sake.. if the Rams had a winning season and made the Playoffs, would he be considering taking time off?
I'm guessing no since winning more is way less stressful than a losing season where shit is hitting the fan non-stop which is why I feel this break isn't a good look.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
He will see the youngest head coach to ever win the Superbowl. He owes us nothing.
Doesn't matter if he owes us or not. It's a bad look no matter what one thinks and it will be talked about that way whether we like it or not. It's already being put out there by Florio.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i can understand if mcvay was feeling a little down this season. heck, i couldn't get into this season at all. i never once got even a little excited about any game this season, and that was before the huge losing streak.

i was burnt out as a fan. strange, i was so excited before the season started but as soon as the real games began i lost all interest.

but then i'm not paid millions of dollars to lead the team. nobody gives a fuck about me and how i feel.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
One quick add...

For those of you who think McVay is running away from a rebuild.. um... so, you think our Rams are gonna collapse next year?????

Stafford is coming back and there's no reason Donald wouldn't come back if Sean was. They have more cap flexibility than most think and health was the biggest challenge this year.

So.. people selling the "he's afraid of tough times" line are selling a bunch of bullshit.
To play devil's advocate, no one predicted how shitty this past year would be so it isn't necessarily bullshit when that's taken into account.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Donald old, aging, will be 32 (at the beginning of next season)....Stafford old, aging, banged up, OL in shambles, will be 34 (at the beginning of next season)......Wagner old, (33)......Floyd (31)....Havs (31).....Higbee (30)....Kupp and Robinson (30). OTC says we are in the red almost $6 million, Spotrac has us at negative 9.5 million in cap space. Maybe not a collapse but losing your QB, and HOF DT in the very near future due to retirement or injury, aging stars that carried the team during his short successful tenure, and cap issues are creating the not so ideal situation for Boy Wonder.

"Old, aging" ? Ask the OL in the league how old and aging AD is to them! Ask RBs around the league how "old and aging" Bobby Wagner is.

Our top 8, AD (32), Ramsey (29), Kupp (30), Stafford (35), Floyd (31), ARob (29), Wagner (33) and Noteboom (28) carry a cap hit of 166.5 mil in 2023.

KC's top 7....Mahomes (28), C Jones (29), F. Clark (30), Kelce (33), Thuney (31) Valdes-Scantling (29) and Justin Reid (26) carry a cap hit of 162.4. Is Frank Clark at 30 next year, "old and aging" for 28.7 mil cap hit? Thuney for 22. 1 mil?

How about SF's top 8? Williams (35), Armstead (30), Bosa (26) last year of his deal, Warner (27), Kittle (30), C. Ward (27), McCaffrey (27) and Lance (23), who isn't old and aging but might not even be in their plans. 145 mil for those 8. Samuels cap hit goes from 8 to 28 in 2024. And they're going to have to pay Aiyuk and Bosa!

The Rams are not ready to collapse but aren't in an ideal situation? So when does KC hit that wall? 2024? SF? Same? Truth is, the talking heads have made the same case you are making.....SB Champs take one on the chin, going 5-12....getting old....in cap hell....so McVay wants to ride off into the sunset. We went 5-12 because our YOUNG guys were injured. The OL injuries were 27, 27, 27, 25, 25, 24 and 23. As a result Stafford was injured. Kupp 29, was injured because our backup QB floated balls to him (before Mayfield). The rest of the injuries were minor. It's hog wash there's some gigantic rebuild coming after this year but it makes a good angle on the McVay story.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay does decide he needs a year to step away and get his personal life in order, I think it would be a smart idea to promote Thomas Brown to HC, if Raheem Morris is hired away. Hopefully, Jay Gruden can step in as OC. And McVay can act as an advisor for the year (if he's willing).

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Imagine how hard it will be to make Rams fans in LA or fill the stadium with Rams fans in LA next season if its an interim “McVay” needs a break year. The market won’t root for what would basically be a “give up” year.

Imagine how hard it would be to convince FA’s to come to LA and play for a “give up” year and put their body’s on the line for peeps that are just keeping the seat warm.

I can’t even imagine how a “break” year would not throw the roster building and fan base building into the fire.

Anyone got a perspective on how it would work in those two arenas?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ah the true sign of intelligence. Don’t agree, immediately insult.

Used to be a time that kinda stuff didn’t fly here but what do I know

Ps. It’s You’re*

What I've learned from your comments is you worked through professional burnout to pay the bills therefore McVay is a quitter because he can afford to take time off for mental health reasons.

Yall read what you're typing before you hit submit, right?

Ah the Grammar Police on a message board...nice touch man....nice touch......

Context, context.
If you cant comprehend english, have an adult explain it to you, leaving out "As for comparing him to folks that work in the real world? Gimme a break" and "Its ludicrous to try and compare"
So no I said nothing of what you speak

It's not a remotely ridiculous take. People walk away from football. You are willing acknowledge that the players have legitimate reasons to walk away, but you fail to acknowledge that coaches do too. Why? I can only guess bitterness or envy.

It's a ridiculous take. Comparing players who retire because frankly their career is over to a guy who is still the youngest coach in the league who wants to call in sick.
For a year...
Maybe

As to players who retire early because they dont want to risk injury? Completely different subject, again a ridiculous take.

Alas, I will wait on McVay's actual decision before making any judgements on him.

"My argument is baseless and a fallacy at best therefore here's a passive aggressive post about your level of intelligence."

So hilarious.

This board is akin to a lesbian book club when things got tough this season.

I don’t know if these quotes are in correct order… But, guys let’s take it down a notch.

The board is a lot more enjoyable to read without the bickering. You guys know this, so do that. Respect each other’s opinion and move on.

Thank you.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has had only 1 year where we missed the playoffs before this season. I think, he will have enough time off to completely recharge and come back in Late April 2023 (for the draft) re-energized with a winner take all, swashbuckling, mother-f*#king takeover of the NFC west next year. No way he walks away now.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Doesn't matter if he owes us or not. It's a bad look no matter what one thinks and it will be talked about that way whether we like it or not. It's already being put out there by Florio.
People are already talking about that. Right or wrong it’s happening now.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Von Miller was a free agent. McVay is not.

He won’t be free to coach elsewhere until his extension expires, unless the Rams are compensated.
McVay may be fine with sitting out until he can sign elsewhere rather than coach another dud of a team for a second year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Imagine how hard it will be to make Rams fans in LA or fill the stadium with Rams fans in LA next season if its an interim “McVay” needs a break year. The market won’t root for what would basically be a “give up” year.

Imagine how hard it would be to convince FA’s to come to LA and play for a “give up” year and put their body’s on the line for peeps that are just keeping the seat warm.

I can’t even imagine how a “break” year would not throw the roster building and fan base building into the fire.

Anyone got a perspective on how it would work in those two arenas?

I just don't see how you go to a 34 year old Matthew Stafford, a 32 year old Aaron Donald, etc., and say "hey, we're gonna be in limbo this year, but Sean might be back the next year." And I definitely don't see how you sell that to the fans. McVay has a lot of goodwill in LA, but not enough to throw away an entire season before it starts.

If he steps away, we need to look for a permanent replacement with the assumption he's never coaching for us here again.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
McVay may be fine with sitting out until he can sign elsewhere rather than coach another dud of a team for a second year.
Anything is possible but McVay's extension carries through 2026.

He will be 40 at the start of the 2027 NFL Season.

Does he strike you as being patient when it comes to football? ... ;)

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Yes he gave everybody plenty to speculate but no reason to assume anything. What I don't get is the man is having issues with something. He turned this SOSA franchise around. Went to 2 SBs and won 1. Gave fans the pleasure of being a Championship fanbase. But some fans are trashing him like he's Jeff fucking Fisher. Media, I can understand. They"re all wannabes. Fans? Some might call it classless.
I would be one.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

i can understand if mcvay was feeling a little down this season. heck, i couldn't get into this season at all. i never once got even a little excited about any game this season, and that was before the huge losing streak.

i was burnt out as a fan. strange, i was so excited before the season started but as soon as the real games began i lost all interest.

but then i'm not paid millions of dollars to lead the team. nobody gives a fuck about me and how i feel.

I do - don't want you leaving the board and taking those legs with you.:sunglasses:

Status
Not open for further replies.